THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns 2nd Round Pick

Base_D_Fence

Most mock's have the browns taking Curry from Wake Forest or Everette Brown from FSU with the number 5 in the first round. Although many fans have a fixation with Malcolm Jenkins and Clay Mathews Jr. (can't blame them, we see a lot of them on tv!) Personally I would like Orakpo from Texas. But this thread is about the important second round pick. I feel if we get a corner in the first round, we should pursue de/olb Michael Johnson from Georgia Tech in the second round. But if we pick an olb in round 1 we should go after CB Macho Harris from Virginia Tech with our second pick. Both Johnson and Harris play with a mean streak and seem to always come up with big plays. What do my fellow Browns fans think?

Guest Aloysius

Victor "Macho" Harris had a bad Senior Bowl week. He got beat deep a couple times, which only highlighted concerns about his long speed. And though he plays physical, he doesn't really have the size and strength to jam receivers at the line.

Michael Johnson backed out of the Senior Bowl - some say it was because of a shoulder injury, others because "he just didn't feel like playing." He's got tons of potential, but it's hard to say whether he'll ever put it to good use.

The second pick I would make, is Sean Smith, Utah CB, 6-3, 214. Hopes to run a sub 4.4 forty at the combine.

Great kid, extremely talented:

http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Utah+v+...dhfzjksms4l.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/07zg33...pg?center=0.5,0

So, what if S. Jones walks as a UFA and Adams walks as a UFA, but we resign Holly, still want a CB in round 2? What are we going to do for a Safety?

What if they decide to release Lewis because of his salary, would RB be a priority in round 2?

MY point is that shound like reasonable choices depending on how the team is set up on draft day and how many picks we have. So, FA will define our "must have" positions - VS - our "need positions" compared to "best available" players on the board.

Brandon McDonald played safety in college.

McDonald seems to struggle when his back is to the action. Put him at free safety and that wouldn't be much of a problem like it can be at corner.

I think he has the toughness for the position...though he may not be as big as you would want, I think he would do a good job acting as a centerfielder getting to the ball....he has the range.

That's if we go Jenkins in the 1st.

In the second...some of those backer prospects are going to be there if we "have" to go that route if we haven't picked up a FA or two.

To me, the ideal in this round would be to get our center...we will have our pick, and there are 2-3 who are going to be top quality NFL linemen.

I just remember how bad our O-line was...and it isn't getting any better with age and injury creeping up and no real depth to speak of.

Anybody who likes Quinn and thinks he will be a good qb better hope we get back to selecting a day one O-lineman every couple of years.

Thomas is stud...Steinbach is good....Fraley is ok but a guy who once his game leaves him, it will go overnight...no slow decline with that guy....RG....pffft........Tucker...at the end of the line...Shaffer....pretty average.

Guest ATENEARS
Damn..my youtube insertion sucked!!

We may need the thread with youtube directions back up...doh!

We've pinned the thread explaining how to add Youtube video to the top in the page.

McDonald seems to struggle when his back is to the action. Put him at free safety and that wouldn't be much of a problem like it can be at corner.

I think he has the toughness for the position...though he may not be as big as you would want, I think he would do a good job acting as a centerfielder getting to the ball....he has the range.

In the second...some of those backer prospects are going to be there if we "have" to go that route if we haven't picked up a FA or two.

To me, the ideal in this round would be to get our center...we will have our pick, and there are 2-3 who are going to be top quality NFL linemen.

I just remember how bad our O-line was...and it isn't getting any better with age and injury creeping up and no real depth to speak of.

Anybody who likes Quinn and thinks he will be a good qb better hope we get back to selecting a day one O-lineman every couple of years.

Thomas is stud...Steinbach is good....Fraley is ok but a guy who once his game leaves him, it will go overnight...no slow decline with that guy....RG....pffft........Tucker...at the end of the line...Shaffer....pretty average.

I agree and most of the mocks that I've seen don't have the first center coming off the board until after the Browns in round 2. I think the one team that could nab the top center in the draft before us is Pooburgh with the last pick in round one. Getting a bad ass center in there to compliment JT and Steinny would solidify our line for years to come.

Bmac would make an ungodly safety Thomas and Steinbach work well together tucker is ok shaffer is nothing but an average backup but fraley is barely even feasable at center imho we need a new center in a really bad way...

Guest Masters

You cannot possibly be serious with that. You want 5-10 195lb McDonald playing a saftey position?

I agree and most of the mocks that I've seen don't have the first center coming off the board until after the Browns in round 2. I think the one team that could nab the top center in the draft before us is Pooburgh with the last pick in round one. Getting a bad ass center in there to compliment JT and Steinny would solidify our line for years to come.

I agree 100%. Just another reason this staff and FO has to get creative and find a way to get more draft picks.

McDonald's a great tackler. Bob Sanders is 5'8", Ed Reed is 5'11". Put him next to a bigger guy and I'd be all for a safety who can cover.

It's not the height, it's the weight. Both of the guys you mention also have 20 pounds on McDonald.

There is no way the guy could ever play safety in the NFL. Not even on the free side. He's a good tackler for a corner that has a rather slight frame.

You want a safety to be able to cover but he still has to take a pounding as well. He has to be able to lower his shoulders and take on a block and/or a tailback in the open field. Mcdonald, while a good tackler, does it almost exclusively buy ankle tackling. A typical corner.

watching the shawn greene highlight video i'd be looking at some of them o-lineman more than greene. wow did you see the holes he gets to run through. Id be a little leiry on drafting a guy running through them holes.

I'm always leery of running back highlights with gaping holes created by OL, but he shows a nice burst before the hole collapses in alot of those highlights. He also shows good vision and he looks to have the right kind of "game speed" for an NFL running back.

I'm liking this kid more and more as time goes on. What intrigues me most is that he is not afraid to lower his shoulder and deliver a hit and run some people over. It would be nice to see someone in orange and brown doing that in the AFC North.

-Al

Most mock's have the browns taking Curry from Wake Forest or Everette Brown from FSU with the number 5 in the first round. Although many fans have a fixation with Malcolm Jenkins and Clay Mathews Jr. (can't blame them, we see a lot of them on tv!) Personally I would like Orakpo from Texas. But this thread is about the important second round pick. I feel if we get a corner in the first round, we should pursue de/olb Michael Johnson from Georgia Tech in the second round. But if we pick an olb in round 1 we should go after CB Macho Harris from Virginia Tech with our second pick. Both Johnson and Harris play with a mean streak and seem to always come up with big plays. What do my fellow Browns fans think?

I like your thinking concerning a 2nd round pick a lot! Harris is a big corner that could actually move up out of our reach in the 2nd round....He should be there but you never know what happens after the combines. I could see scouts falling in love with his size and athleticism at the combines. My guess is that mangini will love the kid.

I'm not crazy about Orakpo though. I haven't seen him that much but he sured disappeared in the OSU game after the first quarter or so.

watching the shawn greene highlight video i'd be looking at some of them o-lineman more than greene. wow did you see the holes he gets to run through. Id be a little leiry on drafting a guy running through them holes.

It is always that way with college backs. You've got to look at the way he sets up blocks, separation speed, balance, the way he breaks tackles, and such. Much of the highlights were him making something out of nothing.

Did you see his pad level when he sees contact coming? The way he gets yards after contact? What I have heard about Greene is that you very rarely saw him falling backwards (the specialty of slick Willie Green from a few years back).

Count me in as a member of his fan club.

there's a lot to like about greene. he runs low with a ton of power because he's built like a bowling ball. he's got great balance and breaks a ton of tackles. some of the tackles that he broke in college will bring him down in the NFL, but he'll still break an awful lot. he's also got very quick, agile feet that he uses to set up his blocks and take smart angles as well as keep his balance.

his running style is reminiscent of a young jamal lewis, though young jamal was a threat to take it the distance every single time he touched the ball (especially against us), but greene doesn't have the same breakaway speed that lewis did, which brings me to one of greene's drawbacks.

his speed is only adequate in college, which means that he'll likely be slow in the NFL. personally, i don't think it'll matter, but some people do, and they might be right. only twice this year did he break runs of 40+ yards and he only had four other runs of 30+. his longest rushes in his other games this year were 20, 23, 18, 16, 15, 14, and 11, the last of which was against south carolina in the outback bowl, likely the fastest defense he faced all year.

against defenses ranked in the top 50 in rushing, here's what greene did:

penn state (8th overall, 93.2 YPG, 2.8 YPC): 117 yards, 28 carries, AVG 4.2, long 14, 2TD

pitt (29th overall, 124.2 YPG, 3.6 YPC): 147 yards, 23 carries, AVG 6.4, long 32, 1TD

northwestern (34 overall, 126.4 YPG, 3.6 AVG): 159 yards, 21 carries, AVG 7.6, long 23, 1TD

that's it. he faced three top 50 rushing defenses and did pretty well against all of them.

his biggest games came against wisconsin and purdue, neither of which ranked in the top 50. wisconsin was 5th in the big 10 in rushing and purdue was 11th...in the big 10. not exactly sure how that works.

here are the stat lines:

wisconsin (133.3 YPG, 3.85 YPC): 217 yards, 25 carries, AVG 8.7, long 52, 4TD

purdue (174.8 YPG, 4.5 YPC): 211 yards, 30 carries, AVG 7.0, long 75, 2TD

greene's bowl game performance doesn't look that impressive on paper.

south carolina (7th SEC, 132.7 YPG, 3.6 YPC): 121 yards, 29 carries, AVG 4.2, long 11, 3TD

though south carolina's conference rankings aren't great, remember that they play in the SEC and played georgia, arkansas, tennessee, clemson, florida and LSU while giving up only three non-shonn greene hundred yard rushing days on the season, which inlcudes holding knowshon moreno to 79 yards on 20 carries and arian foster to 56 on 14. percy harvin torched them for over 165 on 8 carries, but he's precy harvin in florida's offense. no one stopped him in three years.

the other hundred yard games were in the first game of the season against NC state when andre brown had 101 yards on 21 carries, and i'm counting the clemson game as a hundred yard game because they gave up 91 and 88 yards to james davis and cj spiller, respectively, and if they hadn't been splitting carries, someone would have had 120 yards on the day.

greene played well against big-time competition all year. aside from a lack of experience, there's no reason to think that he'll be anything but a solid pro. personally, his lack of experience isn't particularly disconcerting. he hits holes with authority, is a patient runner who follows his blockers but also knows when to cut back, has incredible balance and is nearly impossible to bring down, and he holds onto the ball spectacularly, as evidenced by his zero fumbles on the year.

if anything, his lack of college experience is a boon. whoever drafts him will get a RB with less wear on him than most guys who've been a feature back for two or three years. besides, RB is the easiest position for a rookie to make an immediate impact at. even if a RB's still got a few things to learn, which greene does: i don't know about his blitz pickup but i bet it's not great, and his receiving definitely needs work as he caught only eight balls all year, as long as he can carry and hold onto the ball while making the right choice on hitting holes, he can make an immediate impact in the NFL.

Archived