THE BROWNS BOARD

Inside: U.S. Soccer's March to Brazil

MLD Woody

My bad, I was unclear of what I meant by saying club. I didn't mean it in the sense of Intramurals, Club then Varsity. I meant it as they were more of a pro club team than a college soccer team. They were pulling in guys from out of the country that were very good so they could play soccer. I am not sure how many actually got their degree and it looked like more of a tryout for MLS for them. It wasn't against the rules or anything though and Akron had some very good teams because of it.

Again, I just know they were good and won. I had no clue where they were came from.

Michigan's first year of varsity soccer was 1999. We made a run in 2010 in large part to having two brothers that made MLS teams. One was a Sr that had been around for awhile. The other was his freshman brother that came in having scored the most goals ever in high school in Michigan and he ended that freshman season with a bunch of awards. He left after one season for the MLS. After that season Michigan actually decided "Hey, maybe we could put some money into this?" and we hired a high profile coach. I mean shit, we have guys donate $200 million to the university, and they request half go to athletics, I think we can give something to soccer.

TMI than I care about.

But again... you admitting you don't know anything about soccer doesn't help you in any of these arguments, on this thread and the other.

I wasn't making any kind of an argument. I was merely pointing to the scoreboard. (At least I will give soccer this: it is not one of those "judged sports, like ice skating or gymnastics that you get in the Olympics. One can point to a scoreboard in soccer)

Just like you not knowing anything about college rankings and how good some universities are doesn't help you in our above "debate"....

I told you more than you want to know about college ranking, like I know is that a lot of those college ranking systems are paid for. Like I said, Forbes puts an inordinate value on how many college alumni subscribe and pay to be in their owned publication of Who's Who. Some of the others may be similar to that.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived