• print.png
    g-plus.png
    fb-like.png
    share-button.png
  • By Marc Sessler
  • Around the League Writer
  • Published: May 21, 2014 at 12:17 p.m.
  • Updated: May 21, 2014 at 01:04 p.m.

The Browns weren't kidding around about shoving Johnny Manziel down the depth chart.

NFL Media's Aditi Kinkhabwala reported Wednesday that Cleveland launched its offseason workout activities with veteran quarterback Brian Hoyer taking first-team snaps. He was followed -- to our surprise -- by journeyman Tyler Thigpen at the No. 2 spot, before Johnny Football brought up the caboose with a collection of third-stringers.

Offseason Dates
0ap2000000276066.jpgThe NFL offseason workout program calendar has been released for all 32 teams. Find out your favorite team's schedule. More...

While threatening to melt the Internet, the team's under-center pecking order means next to nothing here in late May. In fact, Thigpen makes some sense at No. 2, considering his experience in the Pistol, which we expect offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan to lean on heavily this season.

The Browns, to the dismay of many, have preached competition from the minute they made Manziel the No. 22 overall pick in this month's draft.

New coach Mike Pettine isn't in the mood to designate a rookie as his starting quarterback without first seeing him on the field.

Nice plan, in theory, but the city's building mania for Manziel is bound to make a mockery of any scenario starring someone other than Johnny Football under center against the Steelers come Week 1.

Here's what else we learned from Wednesday's OTAs in C-Town:

1. After leading the way through 7-on-7s, Hoyer didn't participate in what Mary Kay Cabot of The Plain Dealer called a "spirited" round of 11-on-11s. Still yet to be cleared for full-squad snaps on the heels of knee surgery, Hoyer watched as Thigpen took first-team reps followed again by Manziel.

2. Kinkhabwala noted that "Manziel throws with some serious zip." He "can't match" Hoyer's accuracy and didn't show the same level of "understanding of WR routes," but as Aditi pointed out: It's May 21.

3. Also from Kinkhabwala: Josh Gordon, as expected, participated in the session and caught"EVERYTHING." The pass-catcher's potential lengthy suspension casts a gloom over Cleveland's otherwise action-packed offseason.

4. We were surprised to hear, per Cabot, that pass rusher Paul Kruger played with the backupsduring 11-on-11s. The outside linebacker later rejoined the starters with Jabaal Sheard dipping down to the second wave. Cleveland's coaching staff isn't playing favorites.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" plays the post-draft version of the game "What's More Likely" and breaks down all the latest news.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think that's as big a deal as it was in the past. A&M's offense is a decedent from Mike Leach's and he just never had a playbook written down. But rather had DVDs of plays and various formations. A&M was similar as are a lot of schools now.

Johnny is studying the playbook like crazy right now. He will get it and not miss a beat.

The NFL is all about preparation. Hopefully, he can learn from Hoyer, who learned about preparation from the best in his days in NE.

Success in the NFL is all about pre-snap reads. That comes from film study. After Vinny Interceptaverde went to the Jets, they were

shocked to learn that he didn't know how to break down game film--he watched game film like a typical fan watches a game.

Johnny has a loooong way to go. It's not just about learning the playbook. He has to know/understand what each players responsibility

is on each play. He has to know when to remind the tackle to pick up the guard because the guard has problems with a particular block.

If JF approaches this the right way, he'll be mentally fried by the end of the season. I for one am not looking forward to him being thrown

to the wolves early in the season just because he's a first round pick and we didn't draft a player in the first round to sit on the bench, etc.,

etc., etc. Let the kid learn and realize exactly what it takes to be a successful QB in the NFL.

I terribly want JF to be successful and lead the Browns to the promised land. But putting him on the field before he's ready is not the

way to go about it. John Elway's first NFL start was against the Steelers on the concrete in Three Rivers Stadium. He didn't make it

through the game.

And on a non-Johnny Football related subject...

Of course Josh Gordon caught everything thrown to him... he's potentially the best damn WR in all of football... I'm waiting in anticipation of his pending suspension and, as always, hoping for the best news possible... Would love to see him win an appeal and be out there week 1, but I've conceded to the fact that he won't be there until the second half of the season at best. Gives JF a reason to not rush to the top of the depth chart when his best weapon might not be on the field...

So Manziel works with the 3rd stringers while the other guy..."Bridgewater" is taking snaps with the first team. I truly think we got the wrong guy..should had stuck with the original name on the card and what their studies said instead of over-reacting to a text crying for help.

"Both Schefter and GM Rick Spielman said on ESPN Tuesday that Bridgewater has been the "first one in the building and last one to leave" every day since the Vikings drafted him. A known football junkie, we don't think it'll take long for Teddy to learn the system."

"Vikings coach Mike Zimmer told NFL Network that Teddy Twatwater will take first-team reps during OTAs.

"Teddy's been great," Zimmer said. "He's had good command of the offense. I like his leadership. Throwing the ball well. He's progressing at a good pace." The Vikings were impressed with Bridgewater during minicamp and he hasn't shown any issues picking up Norv Turner's offense to this point. If Bridgewater outplays Matt Cassel this preseason, he should be the Week 1 starter."

So Manziel works with the 3rd stringers while the other guy..."Bridgewater" is taking snaps with the first team. I truly think we got the wrong guy..should had stuck with the original name on the card and what their studies said instead of over-reacting to a text crying for help.

"Both Schefter and GM Rick Spielman said on ESPN Tuesday that Bridgewater has been the "first one in the building and last one to leave" every day since the Vikings drafted him. A known football junkie, we don't think it'll take long for Teddy to learn the system."

"Vikings coach Mike Zimmer told NFL Network that Teddy Twatwater will take first-team reps during OTAs.

"Teddy's been great," Zimmer said. "He's had good command of the offense. I like his leadership. Throwing the ball well. He's progressing at a good pace." The Vikings were impressed with Bridgewater during minicamp and he hasn't shown any issues picking up Norv Turner's offense to this point. If Bridgewater outplays Matt Cassel this preseason, he should be the Week 1 starter."

In related news, it's May 21st.

Chill the fuck out, bruthah.

Your hate for him is well know, but he is a Brown now so STFU.

Weeden outplayed McCoy and won the starting job for week 1. That went great.

Weeden outplayed McCoy and won the starting job for week 1. That went great.

Weeden also looked great last year during OTA's, training camp, and preseason.

It's when he saw his first blitz that the wheels started to fall off.

The blitz is when Johnny shines.

But I agree he needs time and has to make lots of improvements.

One thing not being reported is him staying until after midnight studying what they are asking him to study. And being there bright and early for workouts.

One thing not being reported is him staying until after midnight studying what they are asking him to study. And being there bright and early for workouts.

Let's face it--the national media only wants to report controversy. They're dying for him to say something that they can

spin as disrespect towards Hoyer and show that yes, there is a QB controversy in Cleveland. Whenever ESPN does a

report on Cleveland, you can see the barely concealed smirk and the subtext that the Browns will find a way to fuck this up.

It won't change until we start putting some ass-whippin's on other teams.

Yes....that's his job. He really deserves no praise for doing his job.

Sounds like you don't know how to handle dissent, Walter. I've seen maybe 3 people across 4 boards vehemently despise johnny. You're hyperbole is just sad, cause it suggests you're not paying attention to reality.

But that what kids do nowadays....live life in a bubble.

I thought this was an OTA report????

Mariota, McCoy, Weeden???...In OTAs???

I guess some folks 1st love is beating dead horses.

Can we get rid of the past, look forward to THIS season before we get lost in next season? Please?

So much for this thread..it went to hell real early.

Mike

Ray Farmer: Hoyer is better than Manziel “by a substantial margin”

Posted by Mike Florio on May 21, 2014, 4:24 PM EDT

Manziel

AP

The humbling of Johnny Football continues.

From telling him he’s a backup to reminding him he’s not in Hollywood to putting him at No. 3 on the depth chart for OTAs, the Browns have been trying to ensure that Johnny Manziel doesn’t realize that from the moment he was drafted he instantly became the most powerful man in Cleveland. G.M. Ray Farmer took it to a new level on Tuesday, explaining that, as of right now, the gap between Brian Hoyer and Manziel isn’t close.

Via Dustin Fox of 92.3 The Fan, Farmer said on Bull & Fox that Hoyer is the better quarterback “by a substantial margin.”

This doesn’t mean Manziel, who 13 days ago wasn’t even a member of the organization, can’t close the gap. But it shows that the Browns fully intend to park Manziel at the bottom and make him work his way to the top.

Or at least to create the impression that he actually did work his way up from the bottom, even if he never really was as low as the team is making it out to be.

Its all SMOKE. Its all SPIN. You don't trade up to take a QB and NOT believe he's the solution at QB. By week 4, he'll be the starter. It takes time to learn a system. Farmer is just playing games with the media. Right now we have 2 back up QB. And they are back ups. Without a sensational WR/TE duo last year no one saw coming, Those 4 games for Hoyer wouldn't have been as good as they were.

Bottom line: Whoever gives the best chance to win!

jesus christ some of you 'guys' are amazing. i highlight the word guys because i think half of you are still in the closet.

the report says manziel is taking 3rd string snaps and hoyer looks good. so? WTF? not even training camp. it's a fucking bullshit workout session.

you REALLY are going to get all bent out of shape aren't you if JF doesn't start a game this year? so much for putting the team first you fugging faggots.

and as far as bridgewater is concerned. FUCK HIM! what is done is done if you don't like it become a fuggin viking fan. fuck thigpen too.

Archived