THE BROWNS BOARD

marcus Freeman darkhorse contender for LB

osusev

Guest Masters

I'd agree that he is actually the better LB coming out of OSU (just as I think Cushing is the better LB coming out of USC). But I am not sure Freeman fits into a 3-4 D.

Guest Aloysius
I'd agree that he is actually the better LB coming out of OSU (just as I think Cushing is the better LB coming out of USC). But I am not sure Freeman fits into a 3-4 D.

I agree. He needs to play weakside linebacker in a 4-3; he's not a good fit inside in a 3-4.

maybe, I want to see how strong and fast he is at the combines. Riffer I like Lauranitis I just happen to think Freeman is going to be better in the NFL than the animal. JL reminds me of another OSU linebacker who played very similar andy katzenmoyer...

Than again the big Kat barring his neck injury and subsequent walkout in new england I guess we will never really know if he would have played well in the NFL level.

Freeman is strictly a weakside 4/3 guy, period. On the other hand, JL could play anywhere, and it's also why he's such a better player than Freeman, college or pros.

This JL is no good stuff confounds me. Freeman was barely a starter his junior year mostly because Homan was too banged up. JL dominated for three and a half years.

After JL tears up the combine he'll rise some more, and of course someone like the Patriots or Pitt will end up with him after others pass.

It's already scripted out. BTW, Freeman was pretty much a disappointment at OSU compared to what he was supposed to be. People fell in love with his lateral speed but he never came close to making the kind of plays that JL made in his career, and that includes taking on blockers, pass coverage, pass rushing and tackling. Freeman occasionally would use his speed to close in on a screen play, similar to what Hawk used to do but about ten times less.

This is the part of the draft that gets annoying, when guys who have done nothing but make plays their whole career get overlooked for guys with some sort of upside on the next level.

This JL is no good stuff confounds me. Freeman was barely a starter his junior year mostly because Homan was too banged up. JL dominated for three and a half years.

Thank you! It confounds me as well. The kid has great lateral mobility and speed. Fluid hips. He could be a great 4-3 weakside LB.

I'm shocked how anyone could compare him to Marcus Freeman in NFL ability.

Freeman is strictly a weakside 4/3 guy, period. On the other hand, JL could play anywhere, and it's also why he's such a better player than Freeman, college or pros.

After JL tears up the combine he'll rise some more, and of course someone like the Patriots or Pitt will end up with him after others pass.

It's already scripted out. BTW, Freeman was pretty much a disappointment at OSU compared to what he was supposed to be. People fell in love with his lateral speed but he never came close to making the kind of plays that JL made in his career, and that includes taking on blockers, pass coverage, pass rushing and tackling. Freeman occasionally would use his speed to close in on a screen play, similar to what Hawk used to do but about ten times less.

This is the part of the draft that gets annoying, when guys who have done nothing but make plays their whole career get overlooked for guys with some sort of upside on the next level.

I agree completely. Freeman may turn out to be a descent NFL player, but I think a lot of people are overlooking Laurinaitis. I think he will be a very good pro for a long time. Whoever gets him is going to get a hell of a player. I think he's the second best LB in this draft class behind Curry...and yes, that includes Maualuga. I'm on the record.

Freeman was barely a starter his junior year mostly because Homan was too banged up. JL dominated for three and a half years.

what?... 2007 (Junior): Second-year starting linebacker and a part of three special units ... second team all-Big Ten (coaches) ... second on squad with 109 tackles for season ... 9.5 TFL, 5 PBU in 2007 ... 11 tackles at Minnesota ... 14 tackles led OSU at Penn State ... also forced a PSU fumble ... 18 tackles vs. Illinois ... leading tackler (9) at Michigan ... 14 tackles in BCS championship game ... defensive player of week: Minnesota, Penn State ... Attack Force award: Northwestern, Purdue, Michigan ... special teams dog tags: Michigan ... Randy Gradishar award for outstanding linebacker ... Big Ten all-academic ... third-year letterman.

2006 (Sophomore): Team’s third-leading tackler with 71 stops, including 15 in the national championship game ... played in all 13 games and started 11 at strongside linebacker ... second on the team with six pass break-ups ... both of his interceptions came on the road, at Iowa (5-yard return) and at Michigan State ... also had a sack in the Iowa game ... nine tackles in the season-opener against Northern Illinois ... had at least two tackles in every game, including six in three games (Penn State, Bowling Green and Minnesota) ... defensive attack force player of the game against Minnesota.

This is while Lauranitis was middle linebacker taking a lot of statistical tackles.. he was a 2005 redshirt due to injury and a likely starter that year. I dont think 84 tackles and 9.5 tackles for a loss(number one on the team) 3.5 sacks as the STRONG side linebacker in 2008 equates to having problems shedding blocks.

How anyone grades him to be ONLY a 4-3 weak side linebacker because of his college career as a STRONG side linebacker that cant play the 3-4 is beyond me. Speed and intelligence to be able to cover and or rush and shed blockers which he has in abundance. he graduated with a bachelors in 2007 so he is not just a muscle head. speed, power and intelligence(all big ten academic team) is what is needed to play in the 3-4. I am not saying Lauranitis is going to be a bust, I just said he reminds me of andy katzenmoyer and I think Freeman may be better in the NFL. I love the little animal... but Freeman as a low second rounder or a high 3rd round guy I think he is a steal.

New england turned another Ohio state Linebacker who was NO WHERE NEAR graded to be a 3-4 linebacker Vrabel who was a DE at ohio state and 4 years with the STeelers as a third round draft pick.....

Its way to early to see how college defensive players will work out as specific scheme linebackers and to absolutely state this guy is only this position in this scheme.. Thats is illogical and does not match up to NFL statistics.

The NFL is full of draftees who start in one scheme and position regardless of draft position that end up elsewhere and in different schemes. Riffer your "assessment" is patently a ridiculous statement and assessment.

Prime example James Harrison UNDRAFTED FREE AGENT 6-0 242lbs on the practice squad for two years and special teams and was even sent to the world league by the ravens... I am sure riffer you would have pigeon holed him out of college for only specific schemes and not a 3-4 linebacker.

Sev, use the quote function, it works great.

It is not necessary to dig up Freeman's numbers, at least not for me. However, if you care to go back prior to the start of the 2007 season indeed Freeman was in danger of not starting but being a part of the rotation. He would have played, but as more of a 4 man swing.

He should attribute JL with half his tackles while we're at it. Freeman was left to run free, hence his slotting as a weaksider in the NFL. You don't for a second think he could play inside in a 3/4 do you?

He's definitely not big or strong enough to play strongside in a base 4/3, that is for certain.

Freeman put up the numbers he should have in the system he was in and playing next to someone like JL and should make a decent player in the league if slotted correctly. He will definitely have a job as a STer.

How anyone grades him to be ONLY a 4-3 weak side linebacker because of his college career as a STRONG side linebacker that cant play the 3-4 is beyond me.

It may be beyond you because Freeman didn't play the STRONG side his entire college career. As a matter of fact, he was the weakside his junior year while Lary Grant played the Sam position. It is at the Will where Freeman played his best football.

It was as the WEAK side where Freeman won his Gradishar award. He did an outstanding job at the Will.

It's an often talked about fact with Buckeye fans that Freeman's only stellar year was his Junior year while he was playing the Will. He showed moments of being a quality guy from the strong side his sophomore year but was too inconsistant.

The only reason he was moved to the Strong side his senior year was the staff's desire to get Homan on the field.

Are you actually saying that Freeman was going to be a likely starter in 2005 if not for an injury? Who was he going to start in front of? Carpenter, Hawk or Schlegal?

That is laughable.

You mention all the positive attributes of Freeman and I must argue a couple of them. Strength or power. This is exactly the thing that keeps him down farther on draft day. At 6'1" and 235 lbs he is not a strength or power guy at Linebacker. Especially a STRONG side LB. Not a hard hitter. Scouts question his ability to take NFL poundings. I suggest you read some scouting reports. His future is as a weak side LB.

You also mention shedding blocks as a positive attribute of Freeman's. It is, despite your post, a weakness of Freeman's. he plays high at times and allows his legs to be exposed.

I love these guys who think they are smarter than pro scouts.

Guest Aloysius

Word on McKenzie is that he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. Which is unfortunate, because he's got great physical tools.

May be a better fit as a 4-3 WLB than 3-4 ILB. At least then he can roam a little.

Thank you! It confounds me as well. The kid has great lateral mobility and speed. Fluid hips. He could be a great 4-3 weakside LB.

I'm shocked how anyone could compare him to Marcus Freeman in NFL ability.

I'm with you. People forget how he was used this year by the coaches. He's solid and I think will be a big surprise. Good in coerage, always in position and doesn't get caught up in traffic. Has shown he can rush the passer when they allow him to.

I'm with you. People forget how he was used this year by the coaches. He's solid and I think will be a big surprise. Good in coerage, always in position and doesn't get caught up in traffic. Has shown he can rush the passer when they allow him to.

That is a very good definition of his style....And he has very good hands too... He is the ideal 4-3 Weakside backer.

Archived