THE BROWNS BOARD

Bad Vibes on Mangini

rich4eagle

Guest Masters

Agree Riffer! Of course Butch passed up a ton of guys he recruited and for the love of god I'll never understand why (such as Portis). He seemed more interested in guys he tried to get to the U that turned him down.

I think the local flavor thing is my problem. No, I don't like OSU. But, I don't dislike them either. I don't think fans shouldn't need any extra reason to watch their NFL team. Being local means nothing to me. I want football players, good ones. JJ and Zastudil were good pickups. The local flavor also appealed to the crowd. Why? Who cares? Sure it is nit picking but I liek the idea that a coach ignores the local media and fans to extent. Don;t try to please me by signing guys that have local ties. If they do have local ties and you signed them because of their abilities...don't play it to the media. Build a football team to win...nothing else.

Guest Masters
I think the local flavor thing is my problem. No, I don't like OSU. But, I don't dislike them either. I don't think fans shouldn't need any extra reason to watch their NFL team. Being local means nothing to me. I want football players, good ones. JJ and Zastudil were good pickups. The local flavor also appealed to the crowd. Why? Who cares? Sure it is nit picking but I liek the idea that a coach ignores the local media and fans to extent. Don;t try to please me by signing guys that have local ties. If they do have local ties and you signed them because of their abilities...don't play it to the media. Build a football team to win...nothing else.

There is a crux there. Any PR department (and media) for any team is gonna key in on local player(s) who gets to join the local team. It makes for nice stories and press for the team. If they didn't do it, they wouldn't be good at their jobs (at the end of the day teams are selling a product). I really don't think CLE or any team really signs or drafts a player just as a PR move. It's more we like this guy, and as an added bonus, we can get some PR and extra press out of it.

Ah, but why do so many fans expect the Browns to sign these guys. I've lived all over and this is the only group of fans who constantly call for their own. Many of which blinded by why we didn't draft this guy this school or how great this guy is because he comes from just down the road.

Let PR spin things the way they need to. Regulate how they do it. I just don't get why Cle and it's fans want and expect local flavor. I sure as heck don't see this dominating other ares and their NFL teams.

There is a crux there. Any PR department (and media) for any team is gonna key in on local player(s) who gets to join the local team. It makes for nice stories and press for the team. If they didn't do it, they wouldn't be good at their jobs (at the end of the day teams are selling a product). I really don't think CLE or any team really signs or drafts a player just as a PR move. It's more we like this guy, and as an added bonus, we can get some PR and extra press out of it.

Absolutely. Plus, Cleveland has always been a city with a serious chip on its shoulder about hometown pride dating back a long ways.

The "Mistake on the Lake", the river burning, all the colossal collapses by the sports teams, Kucinich bankrupting the city, etc. etc.

People from NE Ohio love to root for their own, which is not a bad thing as long as the guys can play. Also, local products go way back to Paul Brown and the glory years.

It's also what makes it so sickening to see all the bandwagonning Pittspuke pussies in this area now. Meanwhile, they're winning with a bunch of our own like always.

Guest Masters
Ah, but why do so many fans expect the Browns to sign these guys. I've lived all over and this is the only group of fans who constantly call for their own. Many of which blinded by why we didn't draft this guy this school or how great this guy is because he comes from just down the road.

Let PR spin things the way they need to. Regulate how they do it. I just don't get why Cle and it's fans want and expect local flavor. I sure as heck don't see this dominating other ares and their NFL teams.

When talking OSU, ofte times its because many of those fans only follow OSU, when following college. Throw in that OSU is a highly ranked football program every year. They don't know any better, because they don't know who else is out there.

I have been all over, and follow sports in the papers in many different cities. Every city/team does it and has stories about the local guy on the team. Their fans do the same. Just not so loudly. But fans of the Browns or even Ohio sports are a bit of a different breed. Often a bit more die hard and complain a bit more. But when on a pro level the teams haven't won a championship in a long time, you'll have that.

It just doesn't always get the national media attention CLE has spun out of theirs. In some ways, you have to give CLE's PR department props for being able to turn it national instead of just local.

There are always fans everywhere that over exagurate players skills in one direction or another. From who they want drafted because of where he played, to talking bad about great players (see how some Cavs fans go overboard bagging on Lebron).

Again, local talent was virtually ignored until Savage got here. Did it pay off to ignore all that talent from 99 to 05?

Kosar was also a guy who said screw it I'm going to Cleveland and made it happen. This is not a bad thing. There are worse goings on than local fans enjoying their own when good enough. I don't remember everybody being in love with Fraser while he played here, and nothing was expected of him.

Frye was part of the reason this "hometown hero" thing got on my nerves. Let's draft local guys that love the browns or went to OSU!!! YAY. Good thing about Mangini...he couldn't care less about OSU or local flavor. Savage tried too hard to play on that at times.

LOL If Savage was worried about OSU fans he wouldn't have drafted Braylon. I don't have a problem with Braylon being drafted but he certainly wasn't the first choice of OSU fans. I hope they have gotten over who he played for and want him to be a great player for the Browns

And local flavor brought Josh Cribbs to Cleveland, not a bad deal. He did brings lots of local guys in for tryouts but no harm done in that.

I heard James Gandolfini thinks Mangini is a douche because on the episode where Mangini ate in the same restaurant as Tony Soprano he never even talked to him.

This guy has Frank Kush written all over him.

Dear Lord Russ I havent heard that name in years...He was a big superstitiouse dufus...then I think Ron Meyer (another dufus)follwed after...If Mangina wins Im ok with it...But he better watch...be too Belichickian It not only could cost Him His Job...but another opprtunity to coach elsewhere may be damaged............

another post deleted for providing factual data............nice............HEIL!

and to think I started this thread and it comes to deleting my second post............as non controversial as it was...........Brownstown here is a pig sty

HEIL SATN......he of knife twisting in back......deleting all da correctamundo data or

sumtin.........dis is too funny........me bring acumen and numbers......hitler be slithering away

all da ich's posts often and regular..........wake up Brownstown and stop pissing on da

message an appreciate da messenger.........whatever

When Russ and Stan er Horse Balls become adults then perhaps this board can discuss football and debate the pro and cons until then it is just a slobberfest of juvenile dysfunction

carry on boyz

BTW, you can delete it as many times as you wish BUT Butch did pass on Big Ben now with two Super Bowl wins unders his belt to draft a TE with the IQ of 72. Rich called it right up front from that draft day and never relented since about that blunder. The step to winning in Brownstown is to get the freak out of denial and our mods are the worst example of being in denial

Go Browns may the new management be better than the shit that just got fired

I heard James Gandolfini thinks Mangini is a douche because on the episode where Mangini ate in the same restaurant as Tony Soprano he never even talked to him.

This guy has Frank Kush written all over him.

You can't be serious. You HEARD?! I'll argue against that being likely.

that is too cool so what was just the comment on rich post.......intelligent factual.................... naw shoot the miscreant

that would be funny other than the latter

When will all the little girls give mangini some room to work? stop whining like those negative nancies in the plain dealer.

What do you want RAC back? Mangini is an upgrade over the past 3 coaches we have had. so dealwith it and Bark hard and stop whining.

Archived