THE BROWNS BOARD

Bad Vibes on Mangini

rich4eagle

Let's hope it is sour grapes

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nf...ory/517101.html

"""Elsewhere

CLEVELAND: Former San Francisco assistant George Warhop has been hired as offensive line coach.

DALLAS: Dan Reeves, 65, who played and coached for the Cowboys, will not rejoin the organization. The team said the parties were unable to agree on a contract. It was not clear what role the Cowboys were discussing with Reeves.

N.Y. JETS: John Schmitt, Joe Namath's former center, says he's optimistic about his old team – now that it has changed coaches.

“I'm really happy that they got rid of ( Eric) Mangini,” Schmitt said. “That guy destroyed every part of the Jets' family you could destroy. We as Super Bowl team players were not allowed in camp. We couldn't go in the locker room, the training room. We had no access to the coaches.”

this does sound belichick-esk. i don't like when current personel doesn't respect the past players. if mangini does any of this crap with jim brown there will be a revolt by the fans. painting over the old mural is not that bad because it's only paint. however you must show respect to the men who made teh team what it was.

N.Y. JETS: John Schmitt, Joe Namath's former center, says he's optimistic about his old team – now that it has changed coaches.

“I'm really happy that they got rid of ( Eric) Mangini,” Schmitt said. “That guy destroyed every part of the Jets' family you could destroy. We as Super Bowl team players were not allowed in camp. We couldn't go in the locker room, the training room. We had no access to the coaches.”

Oh, come ON!!! Whahhh...they won't let me into the locker room....whaaaah...I can't have access to the coaches....whaaaahhhhh!!!

This is a RETIRED PLAYER bitching that he can't have FREE ACCESS to the facility and coaches...in effect disrupting the players training and taking up coaches time.

GOOD!!! I hope to hell they DON'T get that access. They are adding ZERO in those settings. The only way I want them in there is if the coaches INVITE them in to give a speech or share old stories.

BB doesn't allow it either....and neither does Bill Parcells. So...Mangini learning from those two guys...BOTH WINNERS...what do you expect?

Oh, come ON!!! Whahhh...they won't let me into the locker room....whaaaah...I can't have access to the coaches....whaaaahhhhh!!!

This is a RETIRED PLAYER bitching that he can't have FREE ACCESS to the facility and coaches...in effect disrupting the players training and taking up coaches time.

GOOD!!! I hope to hell they DON'T get that access. They are adding ZERO in those settings. The only way I want them in there is if the coaches INVITE them in to give a speech or share old stories.

BB doesn't allow it either....and neither does Bill Parcells. So...Mangini learning from those two guys...BOTH WINNERS...what do you expect?

Couldn't of said it better myself. By Mangini painting over the murel and moving it to the front he was sending a message that the former players are just that "FORMER PLAYERS" who should not have access to wherever they feel they should roam throughout the facility. They shouldn't have say of how the team is ran either and rightly so. From what we've read former players have had to much say in the past and where has that gotten us? I respect our Hall of Famers and greats, but unless they work for the team then there is no need for any input from them on serious matters unless asked..

Guest ATENEARS

I'm just fine with the Head Coach taking the reins. Ex-players shouldn't have access to the coaches. Screw Bernie Kosar and Jim Brown, I could care less if they have the head coaches ear. Let some PR pen pusher schedule them some public appearances and have them in for tea, the Head coach needs to focus on today, not yesterday.

im ok with a coach taking control like that as long as they show respect to past players. it is ok that they don't see the practices but i don't want to see mangini not allowing retirees to public functions- not that this has happened though. i just hate to see the men who molded this league being disrespected like the retirees when gene upshaw was in charge of the union. i hate to speak ill of the dead but he was terrible.

im ok with a coach taking control like that as long as they show respect to past players. it is ok that they don't see the practices but i don't want to see mangini not allowing retirees to public functions- not that this has happened though. i just hate to see the men who molded this league being disrespected like the retirees when gene upshaw was in charge of the union. i hate to speak ill of the dead but he was terrible.

If it results in wins, I don't give a shit what he does.

AMEN..................................enough of the digging up of pointless whinning from former jets or Jets media people. and the fact that many of his players spoke very highly of him and write very flattering articles of him doesn't mean a thing I guess.

I heard James Gandolfini thinks Mangini is a douche because on the episode where Mangini ate in the same restaurant as Tony Soprano he never even talked to him.

This guy has Frank Kush written all over him.

I agree. Just because you USED to be a guy on a team (successful or not) gives you no reason to be at the facility roaming free. This is a business. Living in the past only causes problems (something we know about). I want players working as professionals. No distractions!

I thought it was great to hear Josh Cribbs say that Mangini isn't allowing games, MP3 players, phones, etc. in the locker room. You come to work and you work hard just as you would in job outside of sports.

Mangini has no friends in the press or ex-players obviously.. jim brown is an adviser to lerner so he likely wont be subject to the locker room ban other than that i dont have a problem with keeping the locker room closed off to ex-players or press as long as mangini provides adequate press conferences...

This whining is sour grapes the cleveland press people are already gettings whiney as well they hate mangini because he wont tell em anything...;)

I have no problems with the way Mangini has come in an taken control. A few months ago, and for the past several years, we were all bitching for Crennel to do the exact same thing that Mangini is doing now. Take Control! This team has lacked efficient leadership since it came back into the league. Both, on the field and on the sidelines. I think they are on the right track with the new management and coaching staff. And they will be even more on track when Mangini names BQ as the starter. He clearly has the leadership skills and personality and desire to win that this team has been lacking. I am not saying that he will be a superstar, although I do believe it possible. I am just stating that he has what it takes between the ears. Hopefully he has what it takes physically as well.

As far as former players go...I mean no disrespect to them, but they are not on the payroll, so they definately should not have full access to whatever, wherever, whenever they want. They are nothing more now than glorified fans of the team! If you feel the need, then give them some good tickets and let it be done! In fact...they are not even former players of THIS actual franchise. Yes, they are former CLEVELAND BROWNS! But these are not the same Cleveland Browns as the ones that left for that evil city in Maryland. So, this ownership...management...does not owe them anything. And Mangini, in turn, owes them nothing.

The more the media know the more everyone knows.

Why do we think a coach needs to tell the media everything all the time. From a media and fan standpoint...football is simple. If the Browns suck at stopping the run...we know! We see our strengths, weaknesses, and other situations. The media hearing it come from our coach doesn't make it any more visible it only confirms what we already know. Interviews and press conferences tell people what the already know 95% of the time.

Why let the media in on our players injury or the extent of it? If it is serious let us know. If not, why let other teams know who to scheme for?...make their job harder. This stuff is all common sense and I don't know why the media and us fans even care. Marvin Lewis TELLS ALL. The media LOVES him. Whoopee...gets them nowhere!

Frye was part of the reason this "hometown hero" thing got on my nerves. Let's draft local guys that love the browns or went to OSU!!! YAY. Good thing about Mangini...he couldn't care less about OSU or local flavor. Savage tried too hard to play on that at times.

Hey smart Guy... who was the last OSU player we drafted....

Then Shut up!

Hey smart Guy... who was the last OSU player we drafted....

Then Shut up!

And BTW who was the MVP of the SUper bowl!!!!!!!!!!!???????

It took 3 Ohio boys to win it all ....

James Harrison Kent State

Big Ben Miami of Ohio

Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes THE Ohio State University

Thats a far cry from Charlie Frye Akron Zip

Frye was part of the reason this "hometown hero" thing got on my nerves. Let's draft local guys that love the browns or went to OSU!!! YAY. Good thing about Mangini...he couldn't care less about OSU or local flavor. Savage tried too hard to play on that at times.

I haven't seen the Browns cleaning up on Buckeye players much. Perhaps if they did, they'd be a little better off.

Butchie drafted Darnell Sanders in the fourth which was Retarded and Simon Fraser was a UDFA. Rickey Dudley was brought in as an FA for a year and Brandon Mitchell didn't make it through cuts last year. After that, I literally can't think of any other Bucks since 99 even though they've been feeding the NFL with talent.

The OSU thing is more idiot fans thinking that every OSU player should be a Brown. They all want the front office to draft them and then get angry when they don't. My point was that the move to get Frye was a reach to satisfy more than just a need at QB. He played the local guy role that many fans for some reason just love. Mangini won't listen or care about what we fans think or want...which is a beautiful thing.

So far we've had a Patriots fan, a Steeler fan and a disgruntled entertainment writer posing as a sportswriter tell us what "bad vibes" Mangini has.

Everything that has come from the mainstream has been nothing but positive, from what I've read.

Is he a dick? Yes. Do we need a dick? Yes. Is he going to crap all over our history and alienate the Browns family? No.

He's going to coach football. He's the man for the job. Seems like a good guy with a no-nonsense approach to coaching and a talent for defensive innovation.

What was the problem again?

Zombo

And BTW who was the MVP of the SUper bowl!!!!!!!!!!!???????

It took 3 Ohio boys to win it all ....

James Harrison Kent State

Big Ben Miami of Ohio

Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes THE Ohio State University

Thats a far cry from Charlie Frye Akron Zip

Those guys were drafted because of talent. Not who or where they played in college. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Santonio hasn't been worth the first round pick he was and probably never will be. Put together a nice game last week though. Ben did a great job making plays and waiting for him to get open.

Guest Masters
The OSU thing is more idiot fans thinking that every OSU player should be a Brown. They all want the front office to draft them and then get angry when they don't. My point was that the move to get Frye was a reach to satisfy more than just a need at QB. He played the local guy role that many fans for some reason just love. Mangini won't listen or care about what we fans think or want...which is a beautiful thing.

The drafting of Frye was never a reach. There was talk that year that GB might take him at the back end of round one, had Rogers not fallen all the way to them. Scouts and "experts" had Frye going any where from rd 1-3. After his senior bowl showing, people thought he could play (and still might down the road).

Did the Browns PR and Phil play up the local boy thing to the fans? Of course. But don't fool your self thinking CLE reached with that pick or that was the only reason they drafted him.

So far we've had a Patriots fan, a Steeler fan and a disgruntled entertainment writer posing as a sportswriter tell us what "bad vibes" Mangini has.

Everything that has come from the mainstream has been nothing but positive, from what I've read.

Is he a dick? Yes. Do we need a dick? Yes. Is he going to crap all over our history and alienate the Browns family? No.

He's going to coach football. He's the man for the job. Seems like a good guy with a no-nonsense approach to coaching and a talent for defensive innovation.

What was the problem again?

Zombo

Ding Ding Ding!

Guest Masters
Those guys were drafted because of talent. Not who or where they played in college. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Santonio hasn't been worth the first round pick he was and probably never will be. Put together a nice game last week though. Ben did a great job making plays and waiting for him to get open.

James Harrison wasn't even drafted and cut numerous times by PIT his first few years. He was a practice squad player and took a lot of time to develop.

The drafting of Frye was never a reach. There was talk that year that GB might take him at the back end of round one, had Rogers not fallen all the way to them. Scouts and "experts" had Frye going any where from rd 1-3. After his senior bowl showing, people thought he could play (and still might down the road).

Did the Browns PR and Phil play up the local boy thing to the fans? Of course. But don't fool your self thinking CLE reached with that pick or that was the only reason they drafted him.

Frye was terrible from day one. He was the extra QB that the draft wanted to believe was going to be available. Every year there ends up being a few 2-4 fourth round QBs that get build up because teams need QBs. The reach for this developmental guys because QBs are hard to find. The diamond in the rough approach. He was that guy from day one. I rooted for the guy but never expected to seem any more than I did. I saw him play in college many times...there was nothing there to expect otherwise. Sorry.

James Harrison wasn't even drafted and cut numerous times by PIT his first few years. He was a practice squad player and took a lot of time to develop.

Same thing. PIT turns undrafted guys into stars. They have the front office to find these guys and the coaches to develop them. They have the fortune to take guys and rip the true potential out of them. So, they saw enough of him to sign him as a UDFA and to keep him going and let him develop.

Back to the original argument.

Zombo pointed out that all this "disfunction" is coming from elsewhere. We need to focus on what our players say and feel. So far guys like Cribbs and Jackson have came out to back him up. There has been no reason to be believe there are "bad vibes" or anything.

I guess I'm missing your point here. Frye went in the 3rd round and was projected as high as the first. Zastudil is from Bay Village and has been a solid punter for us. Bentley was the glue to the line for years from St. Ignatius and OSU but got hurt and ended his career. JJ is from Lake Catholic and PSU who had a good year and also seems to have had his career shortened. Cribbs is from Kent State, I guess that was stupid too.

Most fans that I know want particular Buckeyes because they're good, not just because they went to OSU. I would hardly call them idiots unless you fall in line with some of the Buckeye haters on here, of which there are a few diehard haters.

Actually, Savage brought a much needed local pride thing back here that previous regimes absolutely ignored. Butchie only went after guys he either recruited or played against or were from the south for the most part, almost completely ignoring local products. The Sanders draft was like some sort of token pick when Buckeye fans could have told him he sucked.

It's like anything else, if your team gets guys you're already familiar with it adds a little to the experience, but it certainly doesn't mean I would want a team full of nothing but local products just to have it. By the same token, I couldn't stand it when Santonio Holmes went to Pitt, for I knew what it probably meant. If you don't think he was worth a late first rounder on that team, I'm not sure what else you want.

Archived