THE BROWNS BOARD

Connor Shaw

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll weigh-in with an unbiased opinion (seriously?).

Born and raised in SC, graduated from USC, been living in TX for a while (grad school, etc.) and I'm a long-time Browns fan (very long story).

We LOVE Shaw - no kidding, right? He's a team-first guy, never ever will have off-field issues, and he's a coach's son who's spent the last four years up Spurrier's ass as a film room junkie. Having JFF's every move make the news here in TX, I do not get the same impression, to say the least. Ah....but those aren't measurables, so you guys don't care.

So, let's talk measurables - starting with Shaw's superior numbers at the Combine. The same Combine where he had the sack to throw, unlike JFF. The win-loss record, td-int ratio, etc. all speaks for itself Oh, and here's a REAL big one. Shaw did it behind a very avg line - unlike JFF who did it with 1st Rd tackles protecting him. And let's not forget the jump balls JFF threw up to Mike Jones - those weren't exactly precision passes sometimes. I digress.

Furthermore, Shaw only really had one QB year in HS, he was a WR prior since his brother (who played at Georgia Tech) was the QB. Point is, though durability is definitely an issue, he's pretty athletic and can run (did I already mention he's faster than JFF?).

Now, all that said, does he improvise or make plays in the open field the way JFF does - definitely not. But, welcome to the NFL, young John Football, that isn't going to work here anyway.

Last point - I gathered my opinion from literally watching every game snap Shaw has taken and many, many of the same from Manziel. If you are basing your opinion off Mayock, Kiper, and McShay you're being terribly short-sighted.

May the best man win (which is Hoyer, in my opinion at this point). Go Browns!

Longtime Browns fan here living in South Carolina. First-time post. I just wanted to let you all know that Manziel may not be the best QB the Browns picked up this month. Connor Shaw, who signed as an undrafted free agent, is a serious contender for the job. He's faster than Manziel and won about the same amount of games in the SEC. This past season Shaw notched a 162 passer rating and a 24-1 TD-INT ratio en route to leading South Carolina to an 11-2 record and No. 4 final AP ranking. The guy is tough as nails, an incredibly hard worker and a leader. Unlike Manziel, he's straight-laced and all business. In fact, he recently got engaged to his high school sweetheart. (The word down here is that Cleveland signed him partially to help keep Manziel out of trouble this summer.) However the QB situation shakes out, the competition just got a lot tougher for Johnny Football and Hoyer.

That is your Garnett and Black glasses talking. Though, I have no problem if this guy does well.

Until yesterday, Conner Shaw was the toughest Quarterback, in the toughest (college) conference in the country, period.

Now, he is a Cleveland Brown.

Yes, he is tougher than Manziel. In game situations or otherwise. Besides the fact, that Shaw outperformed Manziel, and Teddy Twatwater in every catagory of the NFL combine.

No one over 5 years old, can deny that Shaw is a winner. He is as tough as they come, and proved it everytime he stepped on the field. He will do the same for the Cleveland Browns.

I do agree , Shaw does not have THE strongest arm, THE best mobility, is not THE biggest, and not THE smartest. However, Shaw has what Manziel does not, .... GUTS.

Shaw's arm is Strong enough, his Mobility is Good enough, he is Big enough, and he is Smart enough. Yes, SHAW the former Quarterback of (South Carolina) the #4 college team in the country IS tougher Manziel . He does not run around like a pansy. He will knock the shit out of whoever stands between him, and that extra yard, or endzone.

No wonder Manziel is looking over his shoulder, he better. Go Browns!

OK, if he turns into the next Tom Brady and win 3 Super Bowls with the Browns, I am OK with all that.

But...I won't hold my breath for that to happen.

OK, if he turns into the next Tom Brady and win 3 Super Bowls with the Browns, I am OK with all that.

But...I won't hold my breath for that to happen.

Since Cleveland has never made it to the Super Bowl, I'm willing to bet you guys will be swapping cum if anyone leads the Browns to the SB, let alone win one. Winning Three? lmao!

People are serious with this?

The competition already happened. Here are the results:

Manziel: 1st round, 22nd overall.

Shaw: Undrafted, signed as a free agent

Shaw isn't going to compete against Manziel any time soon.

improvising and making plays does not work in the NFL?

Is this serious?

call Barry Sanders and tell him those side steps and spin moves that he improvised didn't work.

I get what you're trying to say, but what you're actually saying is dribble. You're saying it to take away from something that is legit against your boy and for Johnny. Johnny has amazing instincts. Yes, that gap will close as it did from high school to college, but that ability isn't going away. Improvisation works in the NFL. You have to improvise to succeed in the NFL. You have to have good instincts to succeed in the NFL.

That's called being a playmaker.

Essentially, you're holding a skill against Johnny. It's silly.

"improvising"

Biggest DRAFT word in this year's draft.

Pure BS.....

As a QB, the only reason you need to "improvise" is because you don't understand the coverage and don't know where to go with the ball.

Only the dumb/average fan falls for it.

"improvising"

Biggest DRAFT word in this year's draft.

Pure BS.....

As a QB, the only reason you need to "improvise" is because you don't understand the coverage and don't know where to go with the ball.

Only the dumb/average fan falls for it.

In madden perhaps but in real life, shit happens. Plays break down all of the time. Miscommunications happen, both along the line, between QB's and WR, a RB missing a blocking assignment etc, etc. Wasn't it Walsh who talked about how a QB needs improvisational skills to succeed in the NFL? But hey what does he know.

Browser hates me, cant post a link any other way.

But I'

m not going to hold this against Johnny. Guy lead the nation in 3rd down conversion.

97.0 QB rating on 3rd down.

to post a youtube vid just copy the http address and paste it in this response window.

I like Shaw as well. If he sticks with the Browns, he is probably a practice squad guy. I doubt we keep 2 rooks behind Hoyer this season. I hope he does.

Next year I'd like to see Hoyer, Manziel, and Shaw on the team.

The more I think about it this is actually a great sign for the Browns. I see him being Johnny's eventual back-up, and if Johnny has success, he becomes great trade bait/backup. Also, he's currently not on a rivals scout team playing the role of Johnny. Maybe he got extra cash for that fact.

Since Cleveland has never made it to the Super Bowl, I'm willing to bet you guys will be swapping cum if anyone leads the Browns to the SB, let alone win one. Winning Three? lmao!

I suspect that you will swap cum with anyone......that's it, just anyone.

And yes, it would be nice to attain the 14th, 15th and 16th titles for the Cleveland area.

I am going to be really rooting for Connor Shaw. Productive SEC quarterback.

63.4 completion %

24 TD's 1 Int

32 Starts at South Carolina 17-0 at home

Nice to see the Browns get a franchise QB of the future. It is even better that they were able to get him as an Undrafted Free Agent.

It is tough to find talent at the QB position these days.

If I have to read one more of these stupid fucking topics Im gonna lose my mind. Get off the internet and get back to fucking your cousin, or what ever it is you do in S. Carolina.

ohhhhh TCPO not gonna like you much , the peeps in S Carolina are pretty nice man

Harry, are you telling me I cannot root for Connor Shaw, a young man who has learned his trade from a National Championship Coach and Heisman Trophy Winner?

No, I'm not telling you to not root for any player. Just don't come onto a teams board spouting about your areas own personal Jesus. Go to a Gamecocks board and talk about how excited you are for your QB to be picked up by an NFL franchise and jerk each other off over there with your fantasies of him upseating both Hoyer and Manziel. Don't come onto a teams board, without looking at any other topics (cause if you did you would understand that there are already 10 similar threads from ass wipes just like yourself) and make another meaningless topic about 1 player on a team you don't even root for.

Oh and it is already bad enough with every Manziel worshipper declaring Browns fandom hoping onto the board minutes after his selection. I want fans of the team, not fans of players who jump ship if then end up crashing and burning.

Harry, are you telling me I cannot root for Connor Shaw, a young man who has learned his trade from a National Championship Coach and Heisman Trophy Winner?

I think it's mostly to do with this being the second Shaw thread created. Throw in all of the A&M fans and the regulars are getting a little weary to say the least.

I for one love South Carolina. Charleston is without a doubt my favorite city in the good ole US of A.

Archived