THE BROWNS BOARD

Connor Shaw

Longtime Browns fan here living in South Carolina. First-time post. I just wanted to let you all know that Manziel may not be the best QB the Browns picked up this month. Connor Shaw, who signed as an undrafted free agent, is a serious contender for the job. He's faster than Manziel and won about the same amount of games in the SEC. This past season Shaw notched a 162 passer rating and a 24-1 TD-INT ratio en route to leading South Carolina to an 11-2 record and No. 4 final AP ranking. The guy is tough as nails, an incredibly hard worker and a leader. Unlike Manziel, he's straight-laced and all business. In fact, he recently got engaged to his high school sweetheart. (The word down here is that Cleveland signed him partially to help keep Manziel out of trouble this summer.) However the QB situation shakes out, the competition just got a lot tougher for Johnny Football and Hoyer.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Connor too. I don't know how much of a chance he'll get, but I liked what I saw from him this year.

Don't care how much they won In college. Don't care about college QBRs. Don't care about where they played, what defenses they played and who's sister they fucked.

All I care about is who is better in the NFL and that they are starting for Cleveland. I like Shaw and Manziel. Don't care who starts just want them to be good.

This is serious?

ok.

"Tough as nails". great. how does this translate to success? Can you measure toughness? and if so, Is Shaw tougher than Manziel? Nails is not currently on the roster.

"Unlike Manziel"

"staight-laced and all business"

ok, but is he a coach on the field? does he bring his lunch-pale to practice?

Do you know how much time Manziel and Shaw spend preparing for games? and if so, do you have a way to measure how productive that preparation is?

OR (and this is just a guess)

your research is basically TMZ and twitter

"In fact, he recently got engaged to his high school sweetheart. "

OMG, I didn't realize there was a woman involved. By all means, name this guy the starter.

I was born and raised in South Carolina. My friends are recent Gamecock alums. I've seen every snap Shaw has played.

The guy is good, sure. He doesn't have the best arm, he's not the most mobile, he's not the biggest or the smartest, but he wins. He does things well and gets things done.

But he doesn't have a shot to unseat the starter. At best, he usurps the backup position.

Longtime Browns fan here living in South Carolina. First-time post. I just wanted to let you all know that Manziel may not be the best QB the Browns picked up this month. Connor Shaw, who signed as an undrafted free agent, is a serious contender for the job. He's faster than Manziel and won about the same amount of games in the SEC. This past season Shaw notched a 162 passer rating and a 24-1 TD-INT ratio en route to leading South Carolina to an 11-2 record and No. 4 final AP ranking. The guy is tough as nails, an incredibly hard worker and a leader. Unlike Manziel, he's straight-laced and all business. In fact, he recently got engaged to his high school sweetheart. (The word down here is that Cleveland signed him partially to help keep Manziel out of trouble this summer.) However the QB situation shakes out, the competition just got a lot tougher for Johnny Football and Hoyer.

Being a homer can be fun an all, but hear what you are saying. Yes he might end up being a starting QB some day and I like the signing. I love that we got him and we didn't have to draft him. I have even heard alot of draft pundits say he can take a very similar route in the NFL that Hoyer has, sitting for a few years and learning the game as a back up and then stepping out with another team to become a starter. I think he will be a good future back up for Manziel. He has the head for it and the drive. But I don't think his body could stand up to an NFL pounding.

Oh and, "Word down here is that he was brought in to keep Manziel out of trouble." You fucking kidding me.

This is serious?

ok.

"Tough as nails". great. how does this translate to success? Can you measure toughness? and if so, Is Shaw tougher than Manziel? Nails is not currently on the roster.

"Unlike Manziel"

"staight-laced and all business"

ok, but is he a coach on the field? does he bring his lunch-pale to practice?

Do you know how much time Manziel and Shaw spend preparing for games? and if so, do you have a way to measure how productive that preparation is?

OR (and this is just a guess)

your research is basically TMZ and twitter

"In fact, he recently got engaged to his high school sweetheart. "

OMG, I didn't realize there was a woman involved. By all means, name this guy the starter.

You gunna give the guy a hard time for doing the exact same thing as yourself? Switch the player names and you guys would sound like the same person.

He plays for St Louis.

I'm waiting for some Christian activist group from Alabama or somewhere else down south to file some complaint with the FCC because they had to watch two gay dudes kiss and then shove cake in each other's faces, lol. AND they were interracial. Some Chic-fil-a somewhere down south just exploded.

really? i like to think im making logical points re: johnny. this guy is just listing off cliches and stating uneducated scuttlebutt as absolutes. i don't see the comparison.

and you think i'm giving him a hard time but (imo) i'm challenging him to make an actual argument. johnny slept in one morning is not an argument. getting married is not an argument.

stating johnny has proven immediate success at a high level before is an argument.

saying johnny has a 97 QB rating on third down, *highest to ever enter the modern draft, is an argument.

i'd love to read an argument making the case for shaw. i'd find it interesting to read.

I'm waiting for some Christian activist group from Alabama or somewhere else down south to file some complaint with the FCC because they had to watch two gay dudes kiss and then shove cake in each other's faces, lol. AND they were interracial. Some Chic-fil-a somewhere down south just exploded.

Hey, if you don't want to watch to dudes kissing don't watch the NFL Draft.

Any Connor Shaw doubters should YouTube the 4th quarter of the Missouri-South Carolina game in October, a game he wasn't even supposed to play because of sprained knee. Hobbling at times, Shaw, who entered late in the third quarter with Mizzou leading 17-0 in a packed home stadium, threw for 201 yards and 3 TDs to lead the Gamecocks to a 27-24 double OT victory -- Mizzou's only regular season loss. Manziel was equally impressive against Mizzou last year, but his team lost the game.

Love all the responses on here. I thought the Fighting Gamecocks Forum was lively, but you guys are hillarious. Go Browns!

Any Connor Shaw doubters should YouTube the 4th quarter of the Missouri-South Carolina game in October, a game he wasn't even supposed to play because of sprained knee. Hobbling at times, Shaw, who entered late in the third quarter with Mizzou leading 17-0 in a packed home stadium, threw for 201 yards and 3 TDs to lead the Gamecocks to a 27-24 double OT victory -- Mizzou's only regular season loss. Manziel was equally impressive against Mizzou last year, but his team lost the game.

Love all the responses on here. I thought the Fighting Gamecocks Forum was lively, but you guys are hillarious. Go Browns!

Dozens of QBs in college play through a tough game with an injury and win the game every single season and most of them never step on an NFL field. Once again, toughness is not a measurable trait. However, the news of a sprained knee, which seems to be a theme with this kid, it a black mark against him as a prospect.

The new Johnny Football dick suckers vs the new Connor Shaw dick suckers.

Round 1

Fight!

ouch!

He plays for St Louis.

damn G!

Hey, if you don't want to watch to dudes kissing don't watch the NFL Draft.

HA!!!!

for real. they might try to succeed from the union again.

jeff fisher just looked like he couldn't hold a laugh in when the GM was talking about selecting sam. at least sam's boyfriend didn't bend over and take that piece of cake in the shitter.

Looks like we are heading into TC with like 7-10 QB's competing for only 3 spots maybe only 2. When was the last time we saw something like this? And how successful was it?

Yup... More accurate Title would be Shaw vs. The Numbers, but he got an invitation from the current regime and that's a step one with an edge...

Some Chic-fil-a somewhere down south just exploded.

Funniest thing I've read here this year.

ouch!

damn G!

HA!!!!

for real. they might try to succeed from the union again.

jeff fisher just looked like he couldn't hold a laugh in when the GM was talking about selecting sam. at least sam's boyfriend didn't bend over and take that piece of cake in the shitter.

I did start busting out laughing when they used cake to try and get him to stop crying. It just reminded my of the guy from Clerks 2 who's fucking the donkey an in the middle of it all he turns his head and goes "Ooo cake." And then goes right back to it.

Until yesterday, Conner Shaw was the toughest Quarterback, in the toughest (college) conference in the country, period.

Now, he is a Cleveland Brown.

Yes, he is tougher than Manziel. In game situations or otherwise. Besides the fact, that Shaw outperformed Manziel, and Teddy Twatwater in every catagory of the NFL combine.

No one over 5 years old, can deny that Shaw is a winner. He is as tough as they come, and proved it everytime he stepped on the field. He will do the same for the Cleveland Browns.

I do agree , Shaw does not have THE strongest arm, THE best mobility, is not THE biggest, and not THE smartest. However, Shaw has what Manziel does not, .... GUTS.

Shaw's arm is Strong enough, his Mobility is Good enough, he is Big enough, and he is Smart enough. Yes, SHAW the former Quarterback of (South Carolina) the #4 college team in the country IS tougher Manziel . He does not run around like a pansy. He will knock the shit out of whoever stands between him, and that extra yard, or endzone.

No wonder Manziel is looking over his shoulder, he better. Go Browns!

Until yesterday, Conner Shaw was the toughest Quarterback, in the toughest (college) conference in the country, period.

Yes, he is tougher than Manziel. In game situations or otherwise. Besides the fact, that Shaw outperformed Manziel, and Teddy Twatwater in every catagory of the NFL combine.

No one over 5 years old, can deny that Shaw is a winner. He is as tough as they come, and proved it everytime he stepped on the field. He will do the same for the Cleveland Browns.

I do agree , Shaw does not have THE strongest arm, THE best mobility, is not THE biggest, and not THE smartest. However, Shaw has what Manziel does not, .... GUTS.

Shaw's arm is Strong enough, his Mobility is Good enough, he is Big enough, and he is Smart enough. Yes, SHAW the former Quarterback of (South Carolina) the #4 college team in the country IS tougher Manziel . He does not run around like a pansy. He will knock the shit out of whoever stands between him, and that extra yard, or endzone.

85% tape, 15% combine and pro day. Also considering what you are saying about Manziel, I assume you are mixing that fact that you haven't watched many of Manziel's games with you also being a Shaw/Gamecock homer. I am agreeing that Shaw is a steal as an UDFA, but Manziel is as good if not better in the toughness catigory. I have seen plenty of Manziels highlights that show him putting his should down for an extra yard, just like Shaw. But honestly I don't want to see our starting QB do that. I want to see them slide. Shaw lowered his shoulders a lot, he didn't slide alot, and it opened him up to countless injuries, which is what kept him from being drafted.

MVP,

When televised live, I watched as many games of each, as possible. Sometimes, only highlights were available. I do totally agree about the cause of (Shaw's) injuries, and definitely don't want to see this in the starting QB. Shaw is totally agressive runner, and passer that can make all the throws. He is a steal for the Browns as an UDFA, no doubt. I know the front office is excited about this aquisition. No conceited bling, no police mugshots, and no disappointments. This kid can play. Looking forward to watching him contribute on Cleveland Browns Sundays, Go Browns.

PoG, is that you?

I live overseas and at times there are re-runs of all kinds of sports. Today SC was playing Georgia, had to watch some of it to see what Conner Shaw could do now that he is at least flying to Cleveland. Well I am sure a lot of you saw the game last fall and have their own comments but overall he was ok, Murray looked a lot better imho. I did see some glimpses of footwork, good throws etc., but what I never noticed was him checking off his primary target without scrambling. Sounds kind of like Manziel. Bottom line was it was at least interesting to tune in to a potential Brownie.

really? i like to think im making logical points re: johnny. this guy is just listing off cliches and stating uneducated scuttlebutt as absolutes. i don't see the comparison. and you think i'm giving him a hard time but (imo) i'm challenging him to make an actual argument. johnny slept in one morning is not an argument. getting married is not an argument. stating johnny has proven immediate success at a high level before is an argument. saying johnny has a 97 QB rating on third down, *highest to ever enter the modern draft, is an argument. i'd love to read an argument making the case for shaw. i'd find it interesting to read.

To be honest; I think it's great to have them both. I liked what Connor Shaw did at South Carolina. Honestly he should've gone over Mettenberger and McCarron the only reason he didn't was he's 6 ft tall and he's not the highlight reel Johnny is. If they embrace each other as teammates Vince Young might be collecting another unemployment check.

Archived