THE BROWNS BOARD

BPA and Draft Thoughts?

Gunz41

What does everyone think about the draft strategy of taking the best player available instead of by need?

We can debate until we are blue in the face on who was the the best player available and if a player was worth the pick or not, some will agree and some wont. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that jazz. And now with just a 7th left (barring a trade), just curious what everyones thoughts are. We have sure been the most talked about team. How about that for the lowly ole' Cleveland Browns. So every chime in and I will join in soon.

Love it. I just read up on the esir pick on bleacher report. At the bottom of the page it said, "Draft Projection: 1st-2nd round." At pick 127, I'm very happy with it. Though they seemed to go BPA, I think there was a plan in place. We hit every position of need except WR. I'm trusting there is a plan for that.

I think its great, I think we just picked up a load of good players. The only thing I don't like is doing BPA while also being so willing to trade up and waste late round picks. BPA works best when you sit and wait until your assigned pick, or activiely trade back such as what the seahawks and 49ers do. I get that we had some holes, and our FO wanted to make sure those holes were filled while still following their BPA strategy, but I hope they don't keep this trade up pholosophy going into next years draft.

Or you know, that fact that he could have been fined a half million dollars for saying anything about Gordons situation.

give me a break. Thats shit, under normal circumstances, would have been leaked day one. The coaches would have known.

give me a break. Thats shit, under normal circumstances, would have been leaked day one. The coaches would have known.

The only decision he had to make was "Do I want to be an anonomous source that leaks that my star player is going to be suspended?" Fuck no. Let someone else do that. He had nothing to gain by leaking the info, and if he openly came out and said anything he would get in trouble. Honestly the NFL needs to figure out who some of these leakers are and actually start punishing them.

The only decision he had to make was "Do I want to be an anonomous source that leaks that my star player is going to be suspended?" Fuck no. Let someone else do that. He had nothing to gain by leaking the info, and if he openly came out and said anything he would get in trouble. Honestly the NFL needs to figure out who some of these leakers are and actually start punishing them.

exactly.

see that crack staff at the plain dealer was up to the task. wait, uh no.

MK Busted Grill was all over that story, once the story got out. bill livingston was in his holmgren chair eating fried chicken and didn't have a clue or any reason to be sniffing around the back door of the browns facility. he would have had to do some work for that to happen.

Who says they didnt draft for need?

CB

QB

G

ILB

RB

CB

pretty sure he filled our needs....hes got a plan for WR.

True, but not all would have filled needs in that order... and while many think you can never have too many DBs, the Desir pick has the look of a pure BPA choice. It'll be interesting to hear Farmer's comments.

I do think they purposely tried to keep Gordon and Burlesons status a secret to keep people from rioting when we passed on Watkins.

The other aspect would be not letting the other 31 teams know the Gordon, and therefore our, situation.

Of course, I am assuming they did not, but cannot see why they would be informed by the league.

As to how it could impact us if they knew...

If every Day-one trade discussion included a team assuming they could take advantage of our WR need, then the price of those deals might not have been affordable... and the big trades were Day One.

By Day Two the proverbial cat was outta the bag, but passing over Sammy pretty much told the world we were not panicking.

Something interesting that I just read. Alot of good WR were taken in this draft. Who do they replace and who do we see during cuts because of it?

Interesting...

Short answer... WRs who are not as good...

But there should be a cap casualty or two in that mix...

I didn't mean it wasn't for need. But we didn't draft based purely on need. This draft was drafted on BPA not on need. My thoughts on the draft:

1A. Justin Gilbert- What was billed as top CB available. Good pick up for the team to pair with Haden, but if we were going to go CB I would have rather went Kyle Fuller. Fuller and Gilbert are opposite type of CB's, Gilbert is the type of corner that will make a play on the ball a lot and go for the interceptions and not be known for his tackling, and will miss quite a few tackles, while Fuller is a better tackler than Gilbert, not the best but better than Gilbert. This also may be personal opinion too and being a football coach and I even with all the talent that Gilbert has, I wouldn't pick him because I think his tackling is a liability. You give up to much on his side on the outside run or pass from that missed tackle to recover for his special talents to be worth it to me. I know if Gilbert was the pick had to be here, but I think we could have traded down again and picked up a 2nd and Fuller. This becomes an A- pick though because of the extra picks for next year.

1B. Johnny Football- I wasn't high on him because of his durability issues, but there is no denying his ability and upside. Even being hesitant about him, I just wasnt high on him at #4, at 26 I was fine with him. When the freefall started, I hoped we traded up to get him as long as we didn't give up too much. This of course is a boom or bust. He has a chance to be special, or a bust, only time will tell. But this was a great pick. A-

2. Joel Bitonio- I really liked this pick. He is just a nasty mauler than can play all 5 line positions, so the flexibity that gives this team is very important. Either we can play him at tackle and Schwartz at guard or vice versa. I think at this point in the draft, this is our best pick. A for this pick.

3A. Christian Kirksey- This is an average pick to me. Will be an above average pick if he can transition to ILB. He does have good measurables and intangibles, but he is a little small for an OLB, so he is going to have to bulk up to be able to to move to ILB. If he doesn't move, that means that he is a stud at OLB, a bust, or someone on the roster already is underperforming. Only option there I like is that he is a stud. I also think we reached some here. This pick is going to get a C.

3B. Terrance West- I like these guys from small schools that come in with something to prove, and this guy is a wrecking ball. Another way to put it is that he is Ray Rice without the elavator lol. I think he will fit in really well in Shanahan's system. I think once the inevitable happens and Tate gets hurt, he will get just as many carries as him. He may even take over the starting job. He doesn't have great speed, but that's fine with me, he has enough and we can always control the clock right down the field. B+ on the pick

4. Pierre Desir- This is my steal of the entire draft. I think this kid is the real deal. He is a ball hawk that has 2nd round talent that we got in 2nd round. If we would not have drafted Gilbert, he would have came in and started, and never know, he may still. He doesn't have great speed, runs 4.5, but has great hands for DB. He could transition to S and be fine as well so has flexibilty as well. I give this pick an A+ for the value.

Only thing I think we missed on was getting a top level receiver, especially with the news of Josh Gordon, but I have trust in the FO. They have given me no reason not to trust them, and there are guys that can be had in FA or as UDFA, possibly a trade. I think we are starting to build a really good team here, especially if Gordon can get his life straight and Manziel can live up to his potential. Lord knows the Browns deserve it

Archived