THE BROWNS BOARD

New Browns Fans Introduce Yourselves

H-Town Brown

I'll trust my friend's opinion based on first hand experience. Besides, he's gonna get a signed football for my grandson with that Superbowl ring as a pass into the inner sanctum. Gotta be loyal to your oldest friends. :D

I'm guessing this was a reply to my now-disappeared, Fran Tarkenton post...

Just wanted to say... don't blame you... ;)

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

now-disappeared, Fran Tarkenton post...

Yeah, about that. So many Texas types were coming in starting a "HI I'm a new browns fan" thread, that I started this "introduce yourself" thread and went back into the current JM thread and picked out newbies and their responses and moved them over here ... it wasn't scientifically done, I'm sure neither thread makes sense now.

That said, Newbs, there is another 75 (or so) page Johnny Football thread just a couple pages back, you can read all of the hyperbole from end of season until draft regarding Johnny on this board.

Interestingly, those who were adamant that the Browns draft him at #4 are now walking around like they get a cookie since the Browns took him ... at #22.

It's getting a little Quinnish in here. Luckily I think Johnny will produce, unlike Quinn, so maybe I can tolerate the knob slobbering more this time around.

Zombo

I'm not sure I get why having new fans is a bad thing.....? New fans=More tickets sold= More money for better facilities, etc....

No I am sure, I don't get it.

I'm not sure I get why having new fans is a bad thing.....? New fans=More tickets sold= More money for better facilities, etc....

No I am sure, I don't get it.

Having new fans IS great. It won't add up to more ticket sales though. The games are sold out, for the most part, so the "NEW" tickets will be sold anyway.

I have had season tickets since 1999 and the place is sold out every game.

I know that you can get tickets for a 4-11 Browns team when it's 20 degrees, but the owner, being Lerner Jr. or Haslem won't let the game be blacked out.

No, but so what? Had circumstances been different, you might not be a Browns fan. Had my dad been a 49ers fan, i might not be a Cowboys fan. Big deal, who cares? Honestly, i never watched college football until i watched Manziel. I found myself liking Texas A&M. I think i became an Aggies fan. Everyone becomes a fan in different ways. Some will stick, some will not.

Heard it all before.

San Antonio fan here, along with a few others. We have a good friend that lives in San Antonio who is a native of Cleveland and a longtime hardcore Cleveland sports fan.For years he has told us all the heartbreak stories of Cleveland sports fans, bad trades, bad breaks, bad owners, bad GM's, etc. So over the years we would get together and watch Brown's games on The Ticket. I was with him when Lebron hit that amazing shot in the playoffs when he was with the Cav's. For two years I told him he needed to Johnny play. He would hear us talk about him all the time. The first full game of Johnny's he watched was the Alabama game in 2012.

So, when Cleveland drafted Johnny, it all came together for all of us. There is a local Browns Fan club that meets at a local sports bar that we all plan to check out.

We have 2 different forces trying to merge together here, the Browns fan, and the Manziel fan. The problem is the Browns fan has to look to the past to find success, while the Manziel fan is looking to the future for even greater glory for the biggest name in football. Browns fans have been through a boatload of crap the past umpteen years hoping for that same glory to return. It just looks like a match made in heaven to me for the 2 to combine and find it together.

Yeah, about that. So many Texas types were coming in starting a "HI I'm a new browns fan" thread, that I started this "introduce yourself" thread and went back into the current JM thread and picked out newbies and their responses and moved them over here ... it wasn't scientifically done, I'm sure neither thread makes sense now.

No problem, Z...

When you herd cats there are bound to be a few casualties.

I'm pretty sure that's an old, Aggie adage.

I am actually something of a Browns fan and lived in Cleveland from 1999 to 2004, but am also an A&M fan (from Texas) and so Manziel's arrival is a bonus.

Howdy, back and welcome to the Browns Board.

Howdy! I won't call myself a fan since our seems to set some old-times off. I guess I'm a new Browns "enthusiast".

lol... Howdy back...

I think your over thinking it

No, I am giving you a lesson about history and truth. If you don't want to learn facts..and if you want to spew falsehoods that you think are facts then you need to slap yourself upside the head and say :wake up!

Not sure what you mean by organized fan base but it you are talking about actual fans...no other team has more than the Cowboys. Maybe the Steelers second. I don’t know what facts you can back it up with but i could point to tv ratings, merchandise sales, ect in favor of the Cowboys. Texas is dominated by Cowboys fans and it’s a big fuckin state. I used to post on a big Cowboys message board and its full of fans from all over the world.

Did I fucking stutter? The Browns Backers is the largest "organized" fan base of any team in the US. You can look that up if you can. Do they know how to use Google in Texas.

BTW, as a new fan (enthusiast, whatever) i am rewatching the 2013 Browns season (4th game so far).

Tell you what, that Cameron is a real weapon. Yup, but he starts to fade as the season progresses

Gordon is smooth. He gets better, believe it or not

Weeden had the deer in the headlights look. Yup

Hoyer was an upgrade over him. He has some potential but is a little inconsistent. Yup

Running game sucks. Yup

Brown defense is solid. Keeping them in games. Yup

Haden is a shut down corner (duh). Yup

Mingo is impressive. Yup, but he fades as the season goes on

Congratulations, you've essentially summed up the entire last season. It gets much more painful to watch after game 5.

I did look it up and i still dont know what the hell you are talking about. I have never met a Browns fan in person in my 38 years of living.

I cannot help it if you have had your head stuck in a gopher hole most of your life:

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/fans-and-kids/backers-faq.html

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_NFL_team_has_the_largest_fan_base_in_the_world#slide=2&article=Which_NFL_team_has_the_largest_fan_base_in_the_world

Well why i was asking about the word organized. Browns have the most clubs. My original point was about dealing with popularity which clearly the Cowboys are #1. A number of polls prove that point while Browns are down in the 20s. Regardless, at the end of the day i would trade a Super Bowl trophy over popularity.

Polls:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8295decd/article/poll-finds-cowboys-to-be-nfls-most-popular-team

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2013/10/16/Research-and-Ratings/Harris-Poll.aspx

It's not our fault the Cowboys fans are too stupid to get organized.

We've got over 200+ members in the Browns backers fan club here in Naples, FL, all have joined within the past three years.

If you've never met a Browns fan then you've probably never left Texas, in which case I feel sorry for you, because that's an awful fucking place.

Zombo

Ouch! I still have a long ways to go lol

That's what happens when you lose 10 of the last 11 games.

But really, a vast majority of the games were at least entertaining to watch until the 4th quarter. There were a lot of close games and little glimmers of hope, which also means there were a lot of devasting woulda/shoulda/couldas.

Well why i was asking about the word organized. Browns have the most clubs. My original point was about dealing with popularity which clearly the Cowboys are #1. A number of polls prove that point while Browns are down in the 20s. Regardless, at the end of the day i would trade a Super Bowl trophy over popularity.

Polls:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8295decd/article/poll-finds-cowboys-to-be-nfls-most-popular-team

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2013/10/16/Research-and-Ratings/Harris-Poll.aspx

Well, a Super Bowl hasn't been seen in Dallas in a generation. Sure, better than 2 generations like us, but Cleveland has the equivalent of Thirteen Super Bowls trophies (which signifies nothing but the fact that a particular team has won a league title). And that is more than any other metropolitan area....except Green Bay, which just caught up like 3 years ago. Cleveland held that title alone for about 60-70 years. Time to reclaim it.

It's not our fault the Cowboys fans are too stupid to get organized.

We've got over 200+ members in the Browns backers fan club here in Naples, FL, all have joined within the past three years.

If you've never met a Browns fan then you've probably never left Texas, in which case I feel sorry for you, because that's an awful fucking place.

Zombo

If the Browns would make the playoffs like a couple of years in a row, they would probably jump into the Top Five. I remember, not that long ago, seeing away games in places like Tampa, Jax, Ariz., San Diego where it seemed half those stadiums were filled with Browns fans.

Trust me, it is a sleeping Giant of a fan base.

I have seen some polls recently that want to rank the dedication of a fan base. And gee, guess which teams fans get ranked high? Yea, the likes of New England, Giants, Steelers and others....teams that have won like multiple Super Bowls the last decade or so.

Someone is ignorant when doing these rankings.

A fan base's dedication to its team is NOT tested when the team has been doing well, but when a team has been doing crappy.

The real dedicated fan bases are in places like Cleveland, Buffalo, Kansas City and the like. Losing like the Browns/Bills/Chiefs have done in places like New England and Pittsburgh would have those fan bases jumping off bridges and their stadiums look like ghost towns.. The Giants...because it has the largest population base of any team will always do well.

The Redskins are pretty ardent. And the Cowboys seem to be OK.

With just two winning seasons in the last 14 the Browns have still sold out all their games. I bet not even the Cowboys would do that.

Nothing wrong with you being proud of that and i dont have anything against it. When i say i havent met a Browns fan before i am not trying to be offensive. Just being honest. I have come across a number of different fans. Eagles, Packers, Steelers, Saints, Niners, Redskins, ect but never a Browns fan. Although driving around i saw a Browns decal on the back of a truck...he might be a Manziel fan tho. I tried to take a photo.

I have met only perhaps 5 actual Cowboy fans in my life. And I bet I meet a lot more people than you do.

One of them, unfortunately happens to now be my own daughter. But she likes them because A. she now goes to school in Texas and B. she primarily likes the cheerleaders.

As I have noted before elsewhere, she likes the cheerleaders for the cheerleading and not for the T&A show that we like them for.

She is herself, now a cheerleader in Texas.

Super Bowl? Hell id take a playoff win. Yea i looked at the Browns history the other day. Lots of titles in the 40s and 50s. I know i tried to find out why they were named the Browns, but they claim it was not named after the coach. Seems kindof ironic. Also, why no logo? They ever thought about adding one? What did Browns fan do when the team suspended operations. Did fans follow any other team? Just questions i had in my head.

Oh shit, Hoyer just got hurt.

OK, yea, the last time I remember the Cowboys had a playoff win about as long ago as the Browns did. (Last year: 1994).

Beyond the Browns, Northeast Ohio had other NFL titles: Cleveland Rams, Cleveland/Canton Bulldogs. THE very first NFL title was won by the Akron Pros.

And, if you didn't know, Dallas had a team that had to play some of its home games in Akron.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Texans_(NFL)

(If you would like us to again host one of your home games I am sure we could somehow accomodate you.)

Also, in case you didn't know, the Cowboys are not the only team in Dallas to win a championships......another second Dallas Texans team nka the Kansas City Chiefs won the AFL title in 1962.

*whistles* hellooooooooo, lil Gip!

No, she is really more the "I'll hog tie your ass type", and she could do it. Though she does prefer to be feminine, if you test her and get her angry she will turn shitkicker on you. Trust me, I have tested her like you think a father would.

Interesting info. Thanks. Actually the Cowboys last playoff win was a few years ago against the Eagles. The Saints Super Bowl year.

Damn, Mingo lite up this Bills WR.

That's what I thought....but before that they had gone as long as the Browns in winning a postseason game.

But I still think the Foozlers have even gone longer than the Browns in winning a postseason game, even though they haven't had to go through the crap the Browns have. I mean the whole reconstitution thing....and while we have had 4 different owners they have the same one.

No, I am giving you a lesson about history and truth. If you don't want to learn facts..and if you want to spew falsehoods that you think are facts then you need to slap yourself upside the head and say :wake up!

I'm incredibly confused. "Historically" speaking I was sure Art Modell moved the Browns to Baltimore and changed the name of the team. And in 99 Cleveland got a franchise, which is now the Cleveland Browns..... Is that NOT what happened?

I'm incredibly confused. "Historically" speaking I was sure Art Modell moved the Browns to Baltimore and changed the name of the team. And in 99 Cleveland got a franchise, which is now the Cleveland Browns..... Is that NOT what happened?

Gipper will give you the details but the gist...the 1995 TEAM moved to Baltimore, the franchise never left. It suspended operations until a new team was formed and began playing in the 1999 season.

Gipper will give you the details but the gist...the 1995 TEAM moved to Baltimore, the franchise never left. It suspended operations until a new team was formed and began playing in the 1999 season.

So.....the argument is semantics?

Archived