THE BROWNS BOARD

Gordon is out for year. damnit.

Flyin J

michael phelps

No penalty for use out of competition.

Other than public outcry.

Seriously, how can it be considered a performance enhancing drug. When i did it i just got stupid.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the NFL is changing, but too late to help Josh Gordon:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/10927282/renegotiation-nfl-drug-policy-reduce-marijuana-punishments

New policy will change pot discipline

Updated: May 13, 2014, 3:58 PM ET

By Dan Graziano

It would be too late to help Josh Gordon, Will Hill or anyone else in danger of lengthy suspensions for violations of current rules. But when and if the NFL's new drug policy is finalized and announced, it will include changes specific to marijuana and other drugs of abuse.

A source told ESPN.com on Tuesday that the renegotiation of the drug policy, which has been going on since 2011 and includes testing for HGH, also will significantly increase the threshold for a positive marijuana test and reduce the punishments for violations involving that drug.

The source said the NFL's policy on marijuana is outdated, pointing out that WADA has a higher threshold for a positive test than the NFL currently does, and in need of updating.

The NFLPA has expressed to the league an interest in studying the medical research that has led to the legalization of marijuana in many states for medicinal use, but it believes changes were needed in the meantime regardless.

What's holding up the implementation and announcement of changes to the league's drug policy is a continued standoff over arbitration of discipline. In cases of non-analytical positives (i.e., an Alex Rodriguez type of case in which a player is found in violation of the drug policy by some method other than a failed test) or in cases of violations of law (i.e., hypothetically, a player got caught trying to smuggle prescription drugs across the Canadian border), the NFLPA has asked that discipline appeals be heard by an independent arbitrator.

The NFL has continued to insist that the commissioner have final say over discipline matters.

It's the same hangup that was addressed last week by union president Eric Winston, who said of commissioner Roger Goodell on the issue of HGH testing, "He wants to hold all the cards and he wants to be the judge, jury and executioner, and we're not going to go for an un-American system like that."

In response to the union's claims, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello e-mailed the following last week to ESPN: "It's kind of funny because since 2011 the union has come up with one excuse after another to avoid implementing an agreement to test for HGH. First, it was the testing method; then it was the population study; now it's commissioner authority. Our commitment to testing is clear. The same cannot be said of the union."

The dispute over arbitration, it turns out, is holding up more than just HGH testing. There are widespread changes to the NFL's drug policy that these two sides have negotiated and are waiting to implement once they can reach agreement on the administration of discipline.

There's no way they don't make an exception for this.

One way or another, the kush transgression will dearly cost the young kushman

If I were calling the shots in Berea, I would explore every available avenue to part ways with Gordon. Sooner than later.

He's become and will remain a distraction.

Johnny's a distraction already. Want him gone as well?

Y'all think players just do it to be cool....which may be true for a few. But many players use for pain management, and to help deal with anxiety.

Sure beats getting hooked on opiates. Ya know....real drugs.

Also NFL is going into negotiations on the current drug policy to do two things. First is to get a system in place to test for HGH.

Second is to... Reduce the penalty for use of pot! This might be why farmer doesn't seem as worried. If talks about reducing the penalty go through, Gordon's punishment could be reduced to reflect the new rules. What those new rules will be is anyone's guess, and it all depends on how long this takes the league and the NFLPA to work out but if it gets done sooner we could very well see Gordon playing this season as the rules would go into affect immediately.

Also NFL is going into negotiations on the current drug policy to do two things. First is to get a system in place to test for HGH.

Second is to... Reduce the penalty for use of pot! This might be why farmer doesn't seem as worried. If talks about reducing the penalty go through, Gordon's punishment could be reduced to reflect the new rules. What those new rules will be is anyone's guess, and it all depends on how long this takes the league and the NFLPA to work out but if it gets done sooner we could very well see Gordon playing this season as the rules would go into affect immediately.

I would love to see this as just a fine going, maybe 1-4 games.

well as much as I'd like to see the dumbass get a break just because it would be good for the Browns I'd guess it would be hard for the league to give him a break while other players had to take the suspension.

I did hear on the radio, just for mitigation purposes, some sports writer saying that he knew the kid and that he was a nice humble young man. I guess that's better than being a punk. So he's just stupid, which is better then a shitty attitude I suppose. WSS

Its a shame that gordon is going to be suspended for smoking weed. The only reason i would have people abstain from weed in professional areas is because of the damn smell it leaves, but on someones off time i see nothing wrong with it. Sure rules are rules, and josh should've known, but it seems like hes just dumb enough to get caught, its been stated over and over again that a large number of players smoke weed in the national football league

Not only in the NFL, but really in every position across the board- Across America. Everyone's done it or IS doing it. And if you haven't ever tried it because the MAN told you not to... You are a pussy and you haven't lived.

As an active duty military member, I would lose the last 12 years of my life if i were to pop positive for any type of drug. Hell if I get an DUI i will be processed for seperation. I wish I could give these guys an easy way out, but dudes who play a sport for a living and make millions in my book, need a damn reality check.

Its a shame that gordon is going to be suspended for smoking weed. The only reason i would have people abstain from weed in professional areas is because of the damn smell it leaves, but on someones off time i see nothing wrong with it. Sure rules are rules, and josh should've known, but it seems like hes just dumb enough to get caught, its been stated over and over again that a large number of players smoke weed in the national football league

Vapes are pretty much odorless. Check em out. Theyre also way better for your health.

Vapes are pretty much odorless. Check em out. Theyre also way better for your health.

I won't hijack the thread but that statement very well may not be true. It's pretty much assumed that they are less harmful but there really hasn't been a proven study on it. I've never been a smoker but those things still do put nicotine into your system although at a reduced rate. I'm sure they do help though, but I just hope it encourages people to stop smoking in any form. My dad doesn't have lung cancer thank God but years of smoking have made him have so many damn health problems, it's just saddening.

Josh Gordon lives directly 2 floors above me in downtown Cleveland. His condo is constantly blasting load terrible music and has weed seeping out of the door. F him.

LOL, I suppose he can now claim he tested positive because of all that second hand smoke in the room. :)

I won't hijack the thread but that statement very well may not be true. It's pretty much assumed that they are less harmful but there really hasn't been a proven study on it. I've never been a smoker but those things still do put nicotine into your system although at a reduced rate. I'm sure they do help though, but I just hope it encourages people to stop smoking in any form. My dad doesn't have lung cancer thank God but years of smoking have made him have so many damn health problems, it's just saddening.

yeah I was speaking for cannabis, not that synthetic nicotine shit

Josh Gordon lives directly 2 floors above me in downtown Cleveland. His condo is constantly blasting load terrible music and has weed seeping out of the door. F him.

Bizarre , I just trained a new hire several weeks ago that lives in that same building. what are the odds

https://twitter.com/dawgpoundnews/status/469672312703156225

Greg Little says Josh Gordon's failed drug test "wasn't in his control"

???

I just read about this. Three possibilities would be that instead of simply testing positive he either missed a drug test (for whatever reason), had a deluted sample, or whoever gave him the test didn't follow the proper procedures and the testing was flawed. If evidense good evidense is given for any of these reasons, there is a chance he would instead miss between half a season, to missing no time at all.

LOL, I suppose he can now claim he tested positive because of all that second hand smoke in the room. :)

the NFL THC tolerence levels are very generous. You are talking some serious passive inhalation here

Archived