THE BROWNS BOARD

Changing of the guard

ballpeen

Interesting how Wimbley looks to gain from 2 of the new coaches...but is still mentioned as a possible odd man out in one of the areas.

The other interesting one was Brodney Pool at FS. Not sure why they have him as odd man out...but will that mean we go for a FS?

I take the deal with Wimbly is simply if he can finally end up playing well enough. Everything is set up in his favor...he may just lack the talent.

I think he might end up changing sides if we draft Curry or Brown because either one will take Wimbly's spot.

On Pool...who knows...I do know Phil liked Pool way more than I do. It wouldn't bother me to see him doing something else.

Phillip loved Pool because he loved all the Okie boys he brought in. Pool is talented, but just seems to lack the true instincts. I'm not sure how much longer we can wait around on him to be an impact player. He's certainly can be a contributor in the secondary in many various zone schemes, but as far as a guy who can make the big play or big hit and be consistent, I'm beginning to doubt it.

Believing Wimbley is going to get better is wishful thinking IMO and part of the problem with this franchise the last ten years. We never seem to figure out that a guy can't play regardless of all the proof on the field. There is constantly a hope they will magically turn it around and live up to their billing, so we dick around and lose valuable years grooming the wrong guys.

I think Aaron agrees with me that Wimbley just doesn't have it. The league solved him quicker than hell. I've never seen a guy with worse balance in my life with so much athletic ability. He's also a horrific tackler and can be consumed by one blocker.

We never seem to figure out that a guy can't play regardless of all the proof on the field.

I agree Riff.

I have said for a long time that the only thing worse than a blown pick is sticking with him too long.

If you are drafting guys who are going to take 4-5 years to develop, you shouldn't have drafted them to begin with....that's darn near half a NFL career.

If you are drafting guys who are going to take 4-5 years to develop, you shouldn't have drafted them to begin with....that's darn near half a NFL career.

The problem with here is that we don't have any continuity in coaches...much less schemes. In other words...our players are so busy trying to figure out the new coach and HIS particular schemes..that they really don't get the full opportunity to grow as a player.

I can't believe that we get ALL players that can't grow...and the Steelers get ALL players that get better every year...so it must be something else...and the one thing that stands out is continuity.

Seriously...how many HC's have we had since 1999?

Now, try and figure out how many DC's and OC's we have had...

How does that give anyone a chance to grow?

I will give you that may play a part.....but not to the degree we are talking about.

Football is still football.

Wimbley had a full run under RAC...and he hasn't improved.

Phillip loved Pool because he loved all the Okie boys he brought in. Pool is talented, but just seems to lack the true instincts. I'm not sure how much longer we can wait around on him to be an impact player. He's certainly can be a contributor in the secondary in many various zone schemes, but as far as a guy who can make the big play or big hit and be consistent, I'm beginning to doubt it.

Believing Wimbley is going to get better is wishful thinking IMO and part of the problem with this franchise the last ten years. We never seem to figure out that a guy can't play regardless of all the proof on the field. There is constantly a hope they will magically turn it around and live up to their billing, so we dick around and lose valuable years grooming the wrong guys.

I think Aaron agrees with me that Wimbley just doesn't have it. The league solved him quicker than hell. I've never seen a guy with worse balance in my life with so much athletic ability. He's also a horrific tackler and can be consumed by one blocker.

Head on Riff..poole lacks instinct in a serious way..

Instincts can only be coached to development so far its generally something a player either has or doesnt have...

I agree with John's premise but gotta go with Peen. There are just too many instances of guys not getting it done, yet we constantly hear how they will be greatly improved with a new scheme, better conditioning, etc.

Chaun Thompson was a fifth rounder at best, yet we kept hearing how eventually he'd live up to his second round status. Scheme changes, position changes, none of it mattered that he just wasn't that good. That's just one example, and he wasn't even a starter.

I will give you that may play a part.....but not to the degree we are talking about.

Football is still football.

Wimbley had a full run under RAC...and he hasn't improved.

Despite being here only 3 years....Wimbley has played under 2 different DC's...Granthem in '06 and '07...and Tucker in '08.

How many LB coaches has he seen?

Head on Riff..poole lacks instinct in a serious way..

Instincts can only be coached to development so far its generally something a player either has or doesnt have...

I agree....and may even go so far as to say you can't teach them.....or at least at this level.

It's like getting a receiver who can't catch a ball at this point...you aren't going to teach him that at 24 years old...he is as good as he is going to get.....you learn and refine that when you are 9 years old playing in the backyard.

I agree....and may even go so far as to say you can't teach them.....or at least at this level.

It's like getting a receiver who can't catch a ball at this point...you aren't going to teach him that at 24 years old...he is as good as he is going to get.....you learn and refine that when you are 9 years old playing in the backyard.

Umm, you mean like Paul "Glue Hands" Hubbard?

Yeah, he was worth two picks. Thanks Phillip.

I hope to God this new regime doesn't spend 3 years trying to teach a guy who can't catch how to catch like they did with Travis Wilson......another of Phil's Okie fetish boys.

Umm, you mean like Paul "Glue Hands" Hubbard?

Yeah, he was worth two picks. Thanks Phillip.

I hope to God this new regime doesn't spend 3 years trying to teach a guy who can't catch how to catch like they did with Travis Wilson......another of Phil's Okie fetish boys.

Hubbard was a track guy with minimal experience at wr, everyone knew he was a developmental guy that had the size and speed you loked for in a wr.

Those kinds of guys have a better shot at improving than someone who has played wr all their life and can't catch still, so at the time it was a nice bet.

I still say Hubbard has 1 more year for us to practice squad his ass and see if he shows any signs of improvement before we toss him.

WILSON was a waste, third round developmental guy that sucked up a roster spot for 3 seasons and never was good enough to see the field. Your 3rd rounders should be solid starters or capable backups at the absolute minimal by year 3.

Despite being here only 3 years....Wimbley has played under 2 different DC's...Granthem in '06 and '07...and Tucker in '08.

How many LB coaches has he seen?

It's not coaching IMHO- it's opposing coaching. I'm seriously afraid Wimbley is a one trick pony that's been figured out. Take away his outside speed move and he's average at best. Help me out- did you ever see him beat an OT with an inside power move? And in my book, I've yet to see him succeed in bull rushing anyone.

Just a comment on our linebackers in general. Wasn't our pro bowler Shawn Rodgers supposed to make our linebacking significantly better? Well Rodgers did his job to a T, occupying 2-3 guys on every play. Andra Davis still sucked in my book, Jackson didn't exactly remind me of Brian Urlacher, & Wimbley looked journeyman caliber at best. There be plenty of upgrading to be done there.

This is a pretty good article. Positive overall, so you gotta like that. Nothing mentioned about our Sorry DL.. so a bit of a (GAPING) hole there in this article (and our defense).. but the focus on the D is correct..that is where the major improvement is needed. Not sure I agree that stallworth cannot be effective in this offense.. He can play the Welker role no problem..he is excellent with the ball in his hands and runs good routes. He was heathier toward the end of the season so should bounce back this year. I think last year was a fluke.. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Damn I swear that was me talking .........no wait nearly two years ago..deja vu all over again

Archived