THE BROWNS BOARD

You have to love Hoyer's attitude.

WalterWhite

"Unless someone tells me otherwise, I'm acting like I'm the starter"

"Whoever we draft at quarterback, I'll just have to beat him out"

Now I know most players say shit like this all the time, but I think last year he saw his potential and he's trying to get us back to that point.

Let's hope Hoyer is the guy and we'll allocate our draft picks on another position.

Imagine if Hoyer paned out and we had Gordon, Watkins, and Cameron with some help inside. Hell yea

Regardless the level of competition or the fact it was only a couple games, Hoyer treated us to some of the best football we have seen here in a very long time. Who knows what will happen, but I am rooting hard for Hoyer to excel!

Mike

Draft a mid rounder this year - Garoppolo, McCarron, Murray.

And then if this year's experiment fails, go all in on one next year's quarterbacks - Hundley, Mariota, Petty. I feel much better about any of the 3 next year than I do about any of the quarterbacks from this year.

but will we have enough ammo to get one of those guys?

i don't see us doing a ditka and trading all picks for one player. why draft a backup this year when we can get a vet after the draft for little to nothing? you want a QB use one of your top 2 picks on him. if you feel every QB is falling then wait until 25. if not pick him at 4.

it really isn't a wasted pick. i say draft a first round QB every year until we get it right.

I think that's where this discussion gets so hung up. No one doesn't want Hoyer to succeed. It's all about winning more than four games. Hell, maybe even a playoff appearance. I don't care who is at QB, so long as that happens sooner rather than later.

It's just hard to believe the new staff is "sold" enough on Hoyer to give him the reins and pass up top-talented QBs to bring in to compete and/or groom.

It's another hang up to bicker about the position the QB is drafted. Drafting a player at 4 does not mean they must be instant starters. They took Mingo last year and he was not a starter.

If there's a QB available at 4, who Farmer wants, and doesn't believe will be available at 26, he's going to pull the trigger to build his team, regardless of how he views Hoyer.

Pettine is on record saying he doesn't feel he has to make a QB the starter on day one just because he is drafted in the first round. I agree with that 200%. I think it would be wiser to sit ANY rookie QB (regardless of their draft position) a while before starting them, and with our first two games in Pittsburg and New Orleans, it would be taking a serious risk with an expensive investment to let him even play a quarter.

but will we have enough ammo to get one of those guys?

i don't see us doing a ditka and trading all picks for one player. why draft a backup this year when we can get a vet after the draft for little to nothing? you want a QB use one of your top 2 picks on him. if you feel every QB is falling then wait until 25. if not pick him at 4.

it really isn't a wasted pick. i say draft a first round QB every year until we get it right.

My train of though was get players who will play and contribute this year. Watkins and a CB like Fuller. Then with the high 2nd round, a guard, also to start.

Then next year, use your 2015 pick, and throw in a 2016 pick to take one of the quarterbacks. Granted, a risky gamble. But my gut instinct just tells me that any of the 2015 guys are better than any of the 2014 QBs. Granted, I'm just an arm chair amateur who doesn't know much about the specifics of the position. Just my humble opinion. :-)

My train of though was get players who will play and contribute this year. Watkins and a CB like Fuller. Then with the high 2nd round, a guard, also to start.

Then next year, use your 2015 pick, and throw in a 2016 pick to take one of the quarterbacks. Granted, a risky gamble. But my gut instinct just tells me that any of the 2015 guys are better than any of the 2014 QBs. Granted, I'm just an arm chair amateur who doesn't know much about the specifics of the position. Just my humble opinion. :-)

i'm fine with that. there could be a big mutiny of fans though if they don't get that QB (you know who).

BEREA, Ohio (AP) -- Brian Hoyer spent a long, merciless winter in Cleveland rehabbing his right knee so he'd be ready for the day he could run on the field again.

He's never worked harder at anything in his life.

The Browns are his team, and have been since he was a little kid. And now that he's back - not 100 percent, but getting there - the homegrown quarterback, whose promising 2013 season was cut short after only two starts by a serious injury, isn't about to let go of his dream of leading an NFL team without a fight.

Cleveland can draft a franchise quarterback next week. Hoyer believes the Browns already have one.

''I know how I feel about myself,'' he said. ''I know how my teammates feel. I'm trying to go out and prove it to these new coaches and all I can really ask for is a chance and I think I'll get that. I'm going out there every day, and until someone tells me otherwise, I think I'm the starter for this team.''

Six months after surgery on a torn anterior cruciate ligament, Hoyer participated in Cleveland's first voluntary minicamp practice Tuesday to rave reviews. It was a significant step for the 28-year-old, who showed poise and potential in winning his first two starts before he was injured while sliding at the end of scramble against Buffalo.

Cleveland Browns quarterback Brian Hoyer throws during a voluntary minicamp workout at the team' …

Hoyer was sharp during the portion of practice open to media members. He didn't show any limitations while making cuts, and displayed nice footwork while firing pinpoint passes. If not for the brace on his right knee, there would have been no evidence Hoyer had been hurt.

Following the indoor workout, Hoyer was upbeat and somewhat relieved.

''It was awesome,'' he said. ''I felt really good, which was no surprise to me. I felt like I was prepared for this for a while. It's just good to play football again.''

Hoyer has been cleared to do individual work, but not take part in team drills. The Browns don't want to take any unnecessary risks with Hoyer. But that didn't stop him from pleading with new Browns coach Mike Pettine to let him jump behind center during 11-on-11 drills.

''He begged me to be able to jump in there for the team stuff and I had to play head coach for a minute and tell him no,'' Pettine said. ''But again, that's the way he is. That's the way he's made up, ultimate competitor, so I think he firmly believes that it's his job.''

Cleveland Browns head coach Mike Pettine watches during a voluntary minicamp workout at the team' …

Hoyer spent three seasons sitting behind Tom Brady, then made one start during a year in Arizona before getting his shot last year with the Browns.

He's aware Cleveland could use the No. 4 overall pick next week on a quarterback. There's a chance in a few weeks Hoyer could find himself competing with someone like Texas A&M star Johnny Manziel.

How would he react?

''Just be myself,'' he said. ''I have to do what I do on a daily basis and work hard. That's all I know how to do.''

Hoyer isn't the only quarterback trying to make an impression this week.

Cleveland Browns quarterback Vince Young, left, hands off to running back Ben Tate during a voluntar …

Vince Young, who hasn't played in an NFL regular-season game since 2011, has three days to convince the Browns he can help them. The 30-year-old said he's motivated to resume a career after being sidetracked the past few seasons.

''The fire is lit always,'' Young said. ''One thing a lot of people don't know, I love this game so much.''

Young has been given no guarantees other than he'll get a chance. He was with Green Bay late last summer, but got released. Young was reluctant to discuss why his pro career has stalled.

''I'm just happy to have the opportunity playing for a historic team, a respectful team,'' Young said. ''It's a long history for the Browns.

''I'm just going to make the best of it.''

Cleveland Browns quarterback Brian Hoyer (6) talks with wide receiver Nate Burleson (13) during a vo …

Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon has admired Young for years. Gordon's mom taught Young in elementary school and has looked up to the fellow Texan.

From what Gordon can tell, Young isn't done yet.

''Oh yeah,'' he said. ''He's still got it.''

NOTES: RB Dion Lewis, OL Chris Faulk, LB Quentin Groves and S Josh Aubrey were on the field after sustaining season-ending injuries in 2013. WR/KR Travis Benjamin is on schedule after undergoing knee surgery, but Pettine said the Browns will likely keep him out until training camp.

I fucking love the fire in this kid. He doesn't give a fuck what anyone thinks, it's his damm job to lose in his mind and he's out there to get it done. Even if he stinks it up to high heaven this season, I will always always have respect and admiration for Brian Hoyer. There is no quit in this guy.

Go BROWNS!

Hoyer was a backup, well because thats what he is, a backup. We need to draft JF and get going. Quit dreaming that Hoyer is going to be another Brady. He is the backup.

Dude F U. He was a backup to a first ballot hall of famer. Who is going to pull Brady for a shot. He is that good and I will be back here at the end of the year to say you were wrong.....again.

We are going to keep our fantasy that Brian Hoyer is magic until that notion is painfully stomped to death before our very eyes.

Until then he is Brian Sipe meets Brian Drew ... the lowly regarded kid with "moxy and grit" that wouldn't give up his job.

We KNOW they are drafting a QB this year ... let's just let it play out, it should be fun ... and the end result is the Browns get the better of the quarterbacks.

Zombo

Brian Hoyer sets out to prove himself all over again

Apr 30, 2014 -- 6:00am

By Tony Grossi | ESPNCleveland.com

Brian-Hoyer-AP.jpg

Photo/AP

No. 6 is back: Tuesday was a great day for Brian Hoyer and for the Browns.

Because in order for this thing to work, this “win now” attitude the Browns of Mike Pettine and Ray Farmer and Jimmy Haslam have adopted – in stark contrast to the empty rhetoric of “sustained winning” – Hoyer has to be healthy and stay healthy.

The way the team is constituted right now – nine days before the draft – the Browns can win if Hoyer can stay healthy. He showed that last year in three starts with a team not as good as the one that had its first minicamp practice on Tuesday for Pettine.

Josh Gordon wasn’t even Josh Gordon yet when Hoyer took over in Week 3 last year. Trent Richardson was not yet a draft bust, but his shocking trade left the locker room confused and the running game non-existent. Jordan Cameron hadn’t declared himself a Pro Bowl tight end yet.

And the Browns won every game Hoyer started.

That’s when everybody in the locker room got excited, some of them for the first time in their Browns careers. The revelation was the excited look in the eyes of the defensive players – Joe Haden, Ahtyba Rubin, Desmond Bryant, T.J. Ward and, mostly, D’Qwell Jackson, who had suffered the pangs of bad quarterbacking more than all of them.

They all were believing in Hoyer.

But there were only three games, and Hoyer didn’t make it through the first quarter of the third one before tearing an ACL trying to escape the pursuit of fast Buffalo linebacker Kiko Alonso.

So for the plan to work -- and the plan involves drafting a quarterback high -- Hoyer and everyone knows that Hoyer has to prove he can stay healthy.

That’s why it was such a great day to see Hoyer lifting his right leg encased in a bulky brace as high as he could in team calisthenics, and to see him practically sprinting to take the snap from Alex Mack in 7 on 7 drills, and to see him moving around assertively, as if he’d been quarterbacking the Kyle Shanahan offense for years.

On Tuesday – 6 months and 11 days after knee surgery -- Hoyer made a statement: This is his team and he’s not letting go this time.

“That’s why he’s so good,” said Cameron. “He sees this opportunity and he takes ownership of him being out here and him being healthy and any way he can help our team. He’s a good leader, very vocal. Assertive is the perfect way to describe him.”

How ya doin', Johnny?: Hoyer said that once Haslam cleared the decks and hired a new coaching staff, assuring an extra minicamp, Hoyer focused his rehab on being ready for the first day.

“Because I knew I’d have to prove myself again,” he said. “It’s something I’ve had to deal with throughout my whole career in college and the NFL. I’m willing to do it. Competition always makes people better.”

Hoyer knows competition is coming in nine days. Farmer and Pettine talk every day not about whether to draft a quarterback on May 8 but at which point. Do they take Johnny Manziel or Blake Bortles at No. 4 or do they take Teddy Twatwater or Derek Carr at No. 26, or make a play for one of them in a trade up from No. 26?

Whomever the Browns select, and whenever, Pettine made no bones about his preference to sit the rookie quarterback behind Hoyer.

“I think it’s extremely difficult to come right out of a rookie camp to training camp and be a starter in the NFL,” Pettine said. “That’s a rare guy that can handle that and he has to have a great supporting cast to do it, so it’s something you hope to avoid because I think you can set that player back and set your team back. We’re in the ‘win now’ business, and as history has shown, I think it’s difficult to do with a rookie quarterback.”

For three years with the New England Patriots, Hoyer sat and watched Brady’s every move every day. Now, he is in the position of being the one who will be watched by a younger quarterback

“I didn’t always ask a ton of questions, he didn’t always tell me what he was thinking, but to be able to sit there and watch someone put the time in, work hard, see how they attack the preparation, I think that’s the best way to tutor someone,” Hoyer said. “Show them how to do it the right way.

“First and foremost, my responsibility is to win games for this team. The best way to be a role model is to play the best you can and show the young guy what it takes to win in this league. I was fortunate to be behind the best in that aspect. I think I’ll take that role. I’ll never not answer a question. I know some guys take it as a threat. I’ll be myself and continue to work hard and try to do my best to help the team win.”

And what if the new quarterback is Johnny Manziel, the would-be, next NFL sensation who already is lining up shoe deals and cutting commercials with LeBron James?

“Just be myself,” Hoyer said. “Do what I do on a daily basis and work hard. That’s all I know what to do. I’ll continue to act the same way and go from there.”

Proving it all over: Just put yourself in Hoyer’s shoes for one minute.

Undrafted, forgotten as a distant backup behind one of the greatest NFL quarterbacks of all time, released, banged around three teams in one year before landing with your hometown team. You finally get your chance and you seize it by the throat and win two games in a row, and then you tear an ACL. Is that Cleveland or what?

And now your team, the team you rooted for as a kid and then taught to win in your very brief time at the helm, is pondering to replace you with a new hotshot quarterback in the draft. Perhaps the most exciting player in the history of college football.

“It doesn’t bother me,” Hoyer maintained. “People are always going to speculate. I know how I feel about myself. I know how my teammates feel. I’m trying to go out and prove it to these new coaches. All I can ask for is a chance and I think I’ll get that.

“Being from this city and now having the opportunity to play for this team, I don’t think there’s anyone in the world that wants the Browns to win more than me. That’s what I work towards every day.”

For the Browns’ plan to work, Hoyer has to be on the field, winning, and the hotshot new quarterback has to be watching and taking notes and preparing every day.

Because the biggest question about Hoyer is not if he can win. The biggest question is if the gods of football will give him a full season to remove all doubt.

"Unless someone tells me otherwise, I'm acting like I'm the starter"

"Whoever we draft at quarterback, I'll just have to beat him out"

Now I know most players say shit like this all the time, but I think last year he saw his potential and he's trying to get us back to that point.

Let's hope Hoyer is the guy and we'll allocate our draft picks on another position.

Imagine if Hoyer paned out and we had Gordon, Watkins, and Cameron with some help inside. Hell yea

That's a sudden switch. Why the change of heart from going all in for JF?

wow. could they take a worse picture of the dude. looks like he's missing strings from his hands and head like a marionette.

fire that photog and editor.

I thought he was doing a Dr. Evil air quote.

Could become a great meme.

43298271.jpg

Hoyer was a backup, well because thats what he is, a backup. We need to draft JF and get going. Quit dreaming that Hoyer is going to be another Brady. He is the backup.

We need to draft an insurance policy for Hoyer, not necessarily JF. I'm on record I don't want the Manziel circus in Cleveland. (Interestingly, I haven't met a Browns fan locally that's on the high side of 40 who wants anything to do with Johnny Scramble- Ball Peen wants him, but there's something wrong with his thought process.) I'm not dreaming Hoyer can be another Tom Brady- another Kurt Warner will suit me just fine though. :)

Yes, we've been through the hometown qb flop scenario with Frye and Quinn- I don't know if it will be any different this time, seems like Pettine is sold on Hoyer at least starting the first couple of games.

Archived