THE BROWNS BOARD

PFT: Browns Dump National Scout

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius
BROWNS DUMP NATIONAL SCOUT

Posted by Mike Florio on February 4, 2009, 3:34 p.m.

A league source tells us that the Cleveland Browns have parted ways with Daniel Jeremiah, a National Scout who spent two seasons with the team.

We had heard on Tuesday that the Browns were in the process of letting some scouts go.

It was believed in some circles that Jeremiah would survive, given the work that he has done to prepare for the April 2009 draft.

Jeremiah previously spent four seasons with the Ravens. Before that, he was a production assistant at ESPN, a connection that has prompted multiple league insiders to speculate that he possibly had been loose-lipped about company business to one or more of his former ESPN colleagues.

Guest Aloysius

I think Jeremiah's close relationship with T.J. McCreight may be the reason he was let go:

"My brother, David, played at Liberty (under former Browns head coach Sam Rutigliano)," Jeremiah said. "When he was there, he and T.J. McCreight (another former Liberty player) were close.

"After they got out of school, my brother and T.J. kept up with each other. I got to know T.J. a little as well. When T.J. was working for the Ravens, I ran into him during a Sunday Night Football telecast. That's when he introduced me to Phil Savage, who, of course, was also working for the Ravens at the time.

"They told me there was an opening for an internship with the Ravens and asked me if I'd be interested."

[...]

Jeremiah said he loved working under Ozzie Newsome, the Browns Pro Football Hall of Fame tight end turned Ravens general manager, and one of the classiest men in the game. Who wouldn't love working under the Wizard of Oz?

But Jeremiah was even closer to Savage and McCreight, who had come to Cleveland in 2005.

"They got me started in this. We're good friends," he said.

Midwest Scout joins him:

ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST IN CLEVELAND

Posted by Mike Florio on February 5, 2009, 12:43 p.m.

A league source tells us that the scouting purge in Cleveland has claimed another victim.

Gone, we’re told, is Midwest Scout Kevin Kelly.

Kelly spent eight years as a scout with the Browns.

Prior to joining the Browns, Kelly had coached at the high school and college levels.

The Browns recently dumped National Scout Daniel Jeremiah and director of player personnel T.J. McCreight. The moves came after the hiring of new G.M. George Kokinis.

from ClevelandBrowns.com

Kevin Kelly

College Scout, Midwest

Kevin Kelly is in his eighth year as a college area scout for the Browns. He arrived in Cleveland following five years (1996-2000) as head coach and offensive coordinator for St. Viator High School in Arlington Heights, Ill.

Kelly previously coached at Case Western Reserve University (1995) as defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach, John Carroll University (1994) as linebackers coach and at Lake Forest College (1993) as defensive line coach. He began his coaching career with a three-year stint at Indiana University (1989-92) as a defensive graduate assistant.

He holds a Master’s degree in sports marketing and management and a bachelor’s degree in economics from Indiana University. Kelly was a walk-on player at Indiana University and following a stint at the 1986 All-American Bowl, he captained the Hoosiers to the 1987 Peach Bowl. Kelly also played at the University of Miami (Fla.) and was a member of the Hurricanes’ 1983 National Championship team.

Kelly and his wife, Allison, have two sons, Ryan, 13, and Payton, 8, and one daughter, Abigail, 5, and reside in Indianapolis, Ind.

Guest Aloysius

Midwest regional scout is a position that will have to be filled.

Teams usually have multiple national scouts, so Jeremiah may not need to be replaced. But I'm guessing Kokinis will hire someone to fill his spot; it doesn't seem like a good idea to go cheap when it comes to college scouting.

I think this all has to do with the cost cutting measures.

I hope that isn't the reason. It reminds me of a quote from Marge Shott who was an owner of the Reds (actually a good one). She said

"We are paying them to watch baseball?"

And cut the staff to ribbons.

Midwest regional scout is a position that will have to be filled.

Teams usually have multiple national scouts, so Jeremiah may not need to be replaced. But I'm guessing Kokinis will hire someone to fill his spot; it doesn't seem like a good idea to go cheap when it comes to college scouting.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I don't think we're losing any superstar scouts based on the last 4 drafts - count the starting linemen on either side of the ball AFTER round 1 and you get zero. When the organization is in transition - it's only natural for the new boss to bring in his own people. We won't do worse because we can't do worse.

- Tom F.

Archived