THE BROWNS BOARD

Toasting Kokinos with Guinness

Flugel

Loddies and Lassies,

This is just my opinion but I think the biggest difference between Kokinos and Savage is that Kokinos will wheel and deal for more draft picks while Savage couldn't throw away draft picks fast enough.

We HAVE to have more than 4 draft picks this year. You saw what a brutal impact only 4 selections had following last year's draft so we can't repeat that blunder again this year.

I'd LOVE to see us make a play for TJ Houshmandzadeh for the side opposite Edwards. That's all we need via the free agent process because we'll be getting some guys back healthy from the land of the injured ie: Peek, Holly, Tucker, JJ (maybe), Winslow, Hedien, etc.

I'm in favor of trading down for more picks.

We HAVE to get rid of DA. Obviously there's no need to explain to anyone sane.

Is there anyone you think we could trade that would get us real GOOD exchange value? I'm thinking Winslow after 3 knee surgeries and staph infections - I'm noticing far less seperation than the originally had. The NAME seems like it would attract. I'm open to any ideas and suggestions though.

- Tom F. (I've got a REAL good feeling about Kokinos)

Guest ATENEARS
Loddies and Lassies,

This is just my opinion but I think the biggest difference between Kokinos and Savage is that Kokinos will wheel and deal for more draft picks while Savage couldn't throw away draft picks fast enough.

We HAVE to have more than 4 draft picks this year. You saw what a brutal impact only 4 selections had following last year's draft so we can't repeat that blunder again this year.

I'd LOVE to see us make a play for TJ Houshmandzadeh for the side opposite Edwards. That's all we need via the free agent process because we'll be getting some guys back healthy from the land of the injured ie: Peek, Holly, Tucker, JJ (maybe), Winslow, Hedien, etc.

I'm in favor of trading down for more picks.

We HAVE to get rid of DA. Obviously there's no need to explain to anyone sane.

Is there anyone you think we could trade that would get us real GOOD exchange value? I'm thinking Winslow after 3 knee surgeries and staph infections - I'm noticing far less seperation than the originally had. The NAME seems like it would attract. I'm open to any ideas and suggestions though.

- Tom F. (I've got a REAL good feeling about Kokinos)

I'm game for trading Winslow, he has to expell way to much effort and too many moves to just get going and he doesn't run away from any coverage. The kid has great hands and puts out 100%, but he runs backyard football routes.

How about Andra Davis? He thinks he is the leader here ... I think that is the problem, he can't lead a charge across the LOS. He would fit in great with the Lions.

I would think that Kokinos and Mangini may need to work with the Braylon Edwards and sean Jones' of the team and see if we can coach'em up there ... but there are enough here that should just be moved too.

I'm game for trading Winslow, he has to expell way to much effort and too many moves to just get going and he doesn't run away from any coverage. The kid has great hands and puts out 100%, but he runs backyard football routes.

How about Andra Davis? He thinks he is the leader here ... I think that is the problem, he can't lead a charge across the LOS. He would fit in great with the Lions.

I would think that Kokinos and Mangini may need to work with the Braylon Edwards and sean Jones' of the team and see if we can coach'em up there ... but there are enough here that should just be moved too.

I dont think i would be too happy if we traded K2... he will go off this year! I can feel it!

I am all for TJ Houshyourmama... why not load wuinn up with talent to throw to!

Davis sucks BFDD!!!! I think the addition of Curry or Rey and DQ will take off as well...

I want to see the Winslow, BE, QUINN thing happen... with JH in the back field.. I am all for letting JLEW GO!

though having a full slate of draft picks is never bad, there's a huge difference between not having a pick until the fourth round and missing your third, fifth and seventh round picks. would it be better to have all our picks? hell yes. no question. but our draft situation this year is nowhere as bad as it was last year.

as to signing housh, there's no possible way we can afford him with all the holes we have to fill and our current cap situation, and i'd be very surprised, if we sign a marquee free agent, for that FA to be an offensive player. it doesn't strike me as mangini's style. that being said, i think housh would be a great addition if we could create enough cap room for him.

on winslow: the rest of the league has to see what we see: a TE whose body is already degrading, who doesn't block, and who thinks he's a superstar WR when he's really a possession receiver. yes, he goes over the middle and makes tough catches. he takes shots and more often than not holds onto the ball. however, his inability to block severely limits his effectiveness as a receiver, which is pretty much average at this point. he has good hands but has lost the speed and explosiveness that he had in college. personally, i believe that rucker can do what winslow does and that we should ship him, but don't know what we can expect in return. i certainly don't think winslow will bring the second and fifth that shockey did last offseason. using that trade as a measuring stick, if we trade him, i'd expect a third and a sixth, possibly a fifth, which is far from an equitable trade. despite his limited usefulness, i think his value to the team outweighs what we can get for him.

andra davis is a free agent. he's gone. we never have to think about him again unless we play the team that signs him to be the backup to their backup MLB.

last, lewis' contract demands we cut him unless he takes a bettis-esque pay cut, which he won't. there's no way he's a brown in '09.

suggs is pretty much the only guy i'd sign as a big-money FA, but there's no way baltimore lets him get away. they'd be insane to let him go.

trading DA and K2 means trading two of our most valuable assets and leaves us hurting at QB and TE, but it's pretty much the only way we can accumulate a large number of picks in a very, very deep draft that will help us build this team to be very good in two years instead of merely being decent next year.

DA is PROBABLY going to get 2nd round value...and I am almost positive (way more confident) that we will trade him this year.

K2 is a very big possibility. Keep in mind a few things.

1. His injuries...he is still a force...buy may be only for a few more years

2. Our depth...we have several very capable players at that position

3. TE's overall effect...how many TE's do you see carrying a team to the playoffs?

4. Trade value....he will be worth a lot to a team just on the cusp (we aren't)

5. Contract...he is a FA after next year...and is ALREADY bucking for a new contract

6. He was shopped already DURING last year

If you can get a 1st rounder (and a team trading for him would be a late 1st round pick)...we could fill a hole instead of having 6 TE's on the team.

I really believe we can get a late 1st and early 2nd for these two players. I know it is taking a big bite out of our available talent..but this team has comparable strength at these two positions and big holes elsewhere.

Imagine what we could do to improve this team with:

1st - #5

1st - @ #25

2nd - #33

2nd - #37

We would be able to pick up our stud LB, a solid CB or S, a RB and a stud C.

DA is PROBABLY going to get 2nd round value...and I am almost positive (way more confident) that we will trade him this year.

K2 is a very big possibility. Keep in mind a few things.

1. His injuries...he is still a force...buy may be only for a few more years

2. Our depth...we have several very capable players at that position

3. TE's overall effect...how many TE's do you see carrying a team to the playoffs?

4. Trade value....he will be worth a lot to a team just on the cusp (we aren't)

5. Contract...he is a FA after next year...and is ALREADY bucking for a new contract

6. He was shopped already DURING last year

If you can get a 1st rounder (and a team trading for him would be a late 1st round pick)...we could fill a hole instead of having 6 TE's on the team.

I really believe we can get a late 1st and early 2nd for these two players. I know it is taking a big bite out of our available talent..but this team has comparable strength at these two positions and big holes elsewhere.

Imagine what we could do to improve this team with:

1st - #5

1st - @ #25

2nd - #33

2nd - #37

We would be able to pick up our stud LB, a solid CB or S, a RB and a stud C.

Im not crazy about letting DA or K2 go somewhere else but it would be really sweet if we could get a scenario like this going perhaps worth trading them both..

We definately need to give Braylon Edwards another shot to see if he just had a bad year and or was playing hurt (like it looked to me) and if he still has the hands and heart to play on this team..we really need a stud OLB and a stud C and really a stud S as well just for starters...and we need a possession type reciever opposite edwards because JJ will likely get injured if he returns at all and stallworth lacks hands...

I would work to trade Edwards....I doubt he wants to sign here again which will force us in to tagging him and paying him too much money...

I also think it would make us a better team...remember "Leon" from the commercials....that's Edwards.

I would work to trade Edwards....I doubt he wants to sign here again which will force us in to tagging him and paying him too much money...

I also think it would make us a better team...remember "Leon" from the commercials....that's Edwards.

The difference between BE and DA/K2 is we don't even have a legit 'prospect' to replace him...so we would either have to go after a TOP NOTCH WR in the draft...or in FA...and there is little out there in FA.

So, with a VERY THIN draft as far as WR's go....we would almost lock ourselves into Crabtree (or needing to make trades to make sure we got back into round 1 to get a WR).

Basically, I just don't think we are in a position of strength to trade BE this year.

Archived