THE BROWNS BOARD

2009 strength of schedule

ballpeen

Well man...I don't know how good it was....it was more a FYI as some put some stock in that sort of thing.

For me...anybody who plays us twice in a season is bound to have a weaker schedule.....but like you said, it unfolds next season.

Speaking on this subject, me and a friend (a dirty Steelers fan) were talking about this years strength of schedule and of course all he ever talks about is how the Steelers had the toughest schedule. I keep trying to tell him that was before the season started and Im sure the Browns schedule was harder than the Steelers (sadly because the Browns had to play the Steelers when the Steelers had to play the Browns) anyone know if a website has like an after season report on who had the toughest schedule? Just trying to win an arguement.

I think yu lost ...........Steelers played the hardest schedule and the most playoff teams.............

the first step to being cured is admitting you are sick

Brownstown is real sick.........get with it admit it............and then let's just kick ass

me I am embarrassed that Browns fans have been whiney wimps for some time now........

Salute the winners and make a vow to kick their ass........instead of making excuses as to why they are the winners

I think yu lost ...........Steelers played the hardest schedule and the most playoff teams.............

Brownstown is real sick.........get with it admit it............and then let's just kick ass

me I am embarrassed that Browns fans have been whiney wimps for some time now........

Salute the winners and make a vow to kick their ass........instead of making excuses as to why they are the winners

I don't think you are right in fact I know at least in between the Steelers and the Browns the Browns had the harder schedule. The only games that we had different was that the Steelers had to play the Chargers, Pats, and us, with a record of (24-37) and we had to play Buffalo, Denver, and them with a record of (39-25)

Speaking on this subject, me and a friend (a dirty Steelers fan) were talking about this years strength of schedule and of course all he ever talks about is how the Steelers had the toughest schedule. I keep trying to tell him that was before the season started and Im sure the Browns schedule was harder than the Steelers (sadly because the Browns had to play the Steelers when the Steelers had to play the Browns) anyone know if a website has like an after season report on who had the toughest schedule? Just trying to win an arguement.

here you go.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11207862

You cannot compare your schedule against the Steeler schedule and include the games between your two teams in the result. Throw out the those two games and then compile the records of opponents and yes indeed the Steelers played a harder schedule

by playing SD(playoff team) and NE(11-5) vs Buffalo(8-8at best) and Denver (8-8) two teams that made the playoffs and two teams that did not. Also, using your 4-12 record applied to any other team that played you is not realistic comparison. It says you stank NOT that you played a harder schedule because you made others schedules look not so hard.

Throw out the Cleveland record....................Pittsburgh played the hardest schedule of course they beat the Browns twice and you are using that against them as well as our overall record against them!

Actually unless my math is incorrect. subtracting each others record from the schedule still shows the Browns had a tougher schedule. 133-104 to 129-108

Numbers don't count for rich :)

Actually unless my math is incorrect. subtracting each others record from the schedule still shows the Browns had a tougher schedule. 133-104 to 129-108

Well, Golf. Good take but you are wrong. You probably flipped the results because you do have the correct differential. Or you added incorrectly! I hate being correct. The Browns and the Steelers played a common schedule except for two games each.

The Steelers played and beat the 11-5 Patriots a playoff team and played a beat the 8-8 Chargers a playoff team

The Browns played a beat the 7-9 Buffalo and the lost to the 8-8 Broncos

MY math is impeccable. Common logic says the record for the other twelve opponents all the same would have to be identical. Except for Ada and Tob

Our record against Denver and the Steelers against SD is a push. 8-8 no matter how you slice it is 8-8!

The Steelers accumuate four more wins and four less losses for opponents in playing NE(11-5) vs us playing Buffalo(7-9). Anyway that is sliced also yields four more wins for Steelers opponents and four less losses thus a stronger schedule for the Steelers!

Again, Simple math without much machination with numbers at all says Steelers schedule produced opponents with four more wins thus the tougher schedule :rolleyes:

ADA and Tob(as always) thanks for all the providing more ample evidence of my mental idiocracy, mathematical dufusness and otherwise complete asswipeness.......... this dumb ox is appreciative

Well, Golf. Good take but you are wrong. You probably flipped the results because you do have the correct differential. Or you added incorrectly! I hate being correct. The Browns and the Steelers played a common schedule except for two games each.

The Steelers played and beat the 11-5 Patriots a playoff team and played a beat the 8-8 Chargers a playoff team

The Browns played a beat the 7-9 Buffalo and the lost to the 8-8 Broncos

MY math is impeccable. Common logic says the record for the other twelve opponents all the same would have to be identical. Except for Ada and Tob

Our record against Denver and the Steelers against SD is a push. 8-8 no matter how you slice it is 8-8!

The Steelers accumuate four more wins and four less losses for opponents in playing NE(11-5) vs us playing Buffalo(7-9). Anyway that is sliced also yields four more wins for Steelers opponents and four less losses thus a stronger schedule for the Steelers!

Again, Simple math without much machination with numbers at all says Steelers schedule produced opponents with four more wins thus the tougher schedule :rolleyes:

ADA and Tob(as always) thanks for all the providing more ample evidence of my mental idiocracy, mathematical dufusness and otherwise complete asswipeness.......... this dumb ox is appreciative

Im sorry Rich you are gonna have to take it up with cbs

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11207862

I think part what Rich isn't factoring is the games they played against us.....Playing the Steelers twice is going to make ours tougher while them playing us twice is going to make theirs weaker.

Guest Masters

PIT ended up playing the 3rd or 4th hardest schedule this season. After the season someone put up the end schedule strength (win % of opposing teams). DET and CLE's played teams with a combined win total that was higher. Of course PIT had CLE 2x's and CIN 2's on their schedule. That was an easy 4 on their schedule in the end.

Guest Masters
You cannot compare your schedule against the Steeler schedule and include the games between your two teams in the result. Throw out the those two games and then compile the records of opponents and yes indeed the Steelers played a harder schedule

by playing SD(playoff team) and NE(11-5) vs Buffalo(8-8at best) and Denver (8-8) two teams that made the playoffs and two teams that did not. Also, using your 4-12 record applied to any other team that played you is not realistic comparison. It says you stank NOT that you played a harder schedule because you made others schedules look not so hard.

Throw out the Cleveland record....................Pittsburgh played the hardest schedule of course they beat the Browns twice and you are using that against them as well as our overall record against them!

Huh? NE didn't make the playoffs. And technically that 11-5 should be pading the win/loss % of the Steelers opponents, but it didn't. Why? Because PIT has 4 give me wins on their schedule (CLE and CIN). You throw in SD who was what? That's right 8-8 as a playoff team. In the same division as DEN and needed a tie breaker against them to get into the playoffs.

Guest Masters

If you hate being correct, it must be why you list NE as a playoff team. They weren't a playoff team. The Chargers were 8-8 in the same division of DEN who was 8-8. So what makes them different?

Your logic is saw flawed and blinded by Steeler homerism on this one Rich. PIT played the 11-5 Pats, yet they still ended up with a schedule that had teams with a lower win % than CLE or DET faced this season. As I have said in other posts, PIT had CIN and CLE on their schedule. That is a quarter of their win total.

PIT played 7 games against playoff teams (that included BALT 2x's). CLE plays 8 games against playoff teams (that includeds BALT 2x's and PIT 2x's).

You are correct NE was not a playoff team even at 11-5. I was testing the board. I suspected that your stalking me would soon find the transgression. So what else is the issue?

and your aside on the Steelers vs Browns is a non issue......bucause if you want to compare their schedules you delete those games. I did that and you conveniently as usual used a half a loaf of bread......no wait.........a a grain of bread in the big pixxture...........oh wwell

and once again genius you show your complete devoid abilty to do simple math..............the Browns and Steelers played twelve games against common opponents and two against different opponents. A push occured with the SD and Denver games

and ah yes .............the Steelers gained a more formidable four wins by opponents by playing NE while we played Buff.

I understand you are mathematically deficient, and I understand your hard on for me goes through your chin...........

but geez you again just made an arse of yourself.........by attempting to again make 2+2=6

finally one of the slug teams you just used to justify your false claims both...........was the Steelers thumping the Browns huge and the Steelers being a playoff team.....you cannot use the whipping boyz miserable results against another team to compare schedules.........U MUST USE ALL OTHER FOES..........and you again used the dismal Browns to justify the Steelers played an easier schedule..........too ah funny

you again try to have it bof ways.......they suck but we will count the for shit record of the Browns against the Steelers and credit the Browns for losing to the Super Bowl Champs........frigging totally mindlessly hilarious

I am sure this post zoomed in the ether way over the head of many fine brownsboard members........and I am sure it accomplished that as well with you otherwise your asinine challenges would never have occurred

too bad....GO BROWNS

This is so damn stupid.

Take the opponents records for each team:

Cleveland: 145-108-3

Pittsburgh: 133-120-3

Remove uncommon opponents records:

Cle: 8-8 7-9

Pit: 11-5 8-8

Which gives you:

Cleveland: 130-91-3

Pittsburgh: 114-107-3

If you want to go a step further and remove clevelands record from pittsburghs opponents and the other way around:

Cleveland: 118-89-3

Pittsburgh: 110-95-3

Is this clear enough yet?

I think part what Rich isn't factoring is the games they played against us.....Playing the Steelers twice is going to make ours tougher while them playing us twice is going to make theirs weaker.

I factored the head to head in. You must discard games against each other to determine who played a harder schedule. Otherwise the team that stinks US always plays a harder schedule than the Super Bowl Champs because there are only two different teams on the schedule.

This is so much fun, justifying being a piece of shit is good and using a piece of shit record to justify it against the Winners

I hope you understand Ballpeen, that I have gotten it correctomundo throughout this thread..............and blind homerism and total stupidity of math has well tried to overtake reality

This is so damn stupid.

Which gives you:

If you want to go a step further and remove clevelands record from pittsburghs opponents and the other way around:

Totally WRONG! I will wager taking away the records of Cleveland and Pittsburgh(you cannot count them against each other and reward totally being a incompetent loser and detracting being a Super Bowl winner against schedule it is other teams that count) to find the results of all other opponents will yield a PLUS 4 in schedule wins to Pittsburgh........and I have 25,000 dollars.........if you got guts

now get some guts and raise the money

I never get over how devoid of simple math principles Browns fans have become............oh boy fits with applauding losers like Sewage

ADA you are not so smart.........your posts proves it........love yah fellow Browns fan.....STUPID IS A STUPID IS............

This is so damn stupid.

Which gives you:

Lets make it a bit easier....

Overall was:

Take out their own records:

Cleveland: 133-104-3

Pittsburgh: 129-108-3

That's it. The Browns had a tougher schedule.

Now what Rich is trying to do is toss the Browns and Steelers records AGAIN because he doesn't think that should count towards strength of schedule...but guess what...you DON'T do that because they DID play. And despite anything else...the Steelers DID go 10-4 against the rest of the league....and the Browns DID go 4-10 against the rest of the league...so those get counted. By taking out their respective records...it is ALREADY ACCOUNTED FOR!

Simple really, your strength of schedule at the END of the year should be your opponents record minus your record.

Totally WRONG! I will wager taking away the records of Cleveland and Pittsburgh(you cannot count them against each other and reward totally being a incompetent loser and detracting being a Super Bowl winner against schedule it is other teams that count) to find the results of all other opponents will yield a PLUS 4 in schedule wins to Pittsburgh........and I have 25,000 dollars.........if you got guts

now get some guts and raise the money

I never get over how devoid of simple math principles Browns fans have become............oh boy fits with applauding losers like Sewage

ADA you are not so smart.........your posts proves it........love yah fellow Browns fan.....STUPID IS A STUPID IS............

God, I hate to say this ... but Rich is right.

If you take two teams and say "we played a tougher schedule", you have to take the two head-to-head matchups out of the equation, which leaves Pittsburgh +4 with the tougher schedule.

It just doesn't mean much though. Strength of schedule is such an over-rated statistic. Everybody in your division plays a similar schedule. Just win your division and you host a playoff game ... it's that easy.

Zombo

God, I hate to say this ... but Rich is right.

If you take two teams and say "we played a tougher schedule", you have to take the two head-to-head matchups out of the equation, which leaves Pittsburgh +4 with the tougher schedule.

It just doesn't mean much though. Strength of schedule is such an over-rated statistic. Everybody in your division plays a similar schedule. Just win your division and you host a playoff game ... it's that easy.

Zombo

So basically what you are saying is that the Browns DIDN'T play the Steelers? They just don't count?

Listen, if the question was "who played the toughest schedule OTHER THAN against each other?"...then Rich is right.

But that is not the question. It was who played the toughest schedule...PERIOD.

See, the problem with Rich's equation is that it cannot be applied equally to every team in football...or even the same team against different opponents. Therefore it is not a true equation.

Lets' put it this way...if you apply Rich's theory...our strength of schedule would actually be TOUGHER if we compare ourselves to Cincinnati...because we would be eliminating their record (4-11-1) 2x...instead of eliminating the Steelers record (12-4) 2x.

Hence, as it doesn't give consistent and accurate answers...it is not a proper mathematical equation for the purposes of comparing schedules. After all...you can't compare a moving target.

Also I just pulled this quote from the NFL's explanation of how they select draft order....

"In the NFL, a team's strength of schedule is the combined records of its 16 opponents,including games played against the team in question, and counting divisional opponents twice."

Rich, I know you have a lot of experience on most of us.... but seriously. You are not correct on this topic.

If you change the NFL's rules on determining strength of schedule then you would be right, but you're not.

Listen, if the question was "who played the toughest schedule OTHER THAN against each other?"...then Rich is right.

I thought that was the question. I think that is what he is meaning to say.

I know statistically we had a tougher schedule.

But we can't use it as bragging rights against the Steelers when their schedule was only easier because they played us and we played them.

You are right statistically. But argumentatively, we have no leg to stand on in this argument.

Zombo

Archived