THE BROWNS BOARD

NorrinRadd12 will be released by The Browns Board today

NorrinRadd12

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mevis is a great player, but he or his agent are all about the money. It would be absolutley fantasic if we could get him in a trade. A 4th we got from Pitt turned into Revis. fuck ya. However the odds of him coming here get more slim by the hour. He will not come here if he hits the FA market.

It is between Browns and Rams. The Rams are trying to make room for him, they currently have a little less than $13M of cap room.

If Rams can make the room it's going to be Revis for #13. If they can't its going to be Revis to Cleveland for #26 and not matching Mack's contract.

Fuck a 1st rounder. We need these first 3 rounds to pick up some much needed playmakers and much needed depth. This draft is considered the deepest draft in the last 10 years. according to several scouts. Mevis for nothing more then a 4th. Mack is more valuable the him.

It is between Browns and Rams. The Rams are trying to make room for him, they currently have a little less than $13M of cap room.

If Rams can make the room it's going to be Revis for #13. If they can't its going to be Revis to Cleveland for #26 and not matching Mack's contract.

No way in hell do I give up a first round, plus let Mack walk, and take on his outrageous salary. No no no no.

revis looked like a lost boy scout in tampa bay. not even close to what he looked like when he was revis island.

i could name at least three cbs i'd rather have via the draft than this over-priced over-valued DB.

unless of course pettine can get him back to where he once was.

but no trade. let him come crawling to us after they cut him.

Maybe we can get Gilbert in the 1st round. or

Keith McGill, CB, Utah in the 3rd.
Height: 6-3. Weight: 211.
40 Time: 4.51.
Projected Round (2014): 2-3.

3/8/14: McGill used the Senior Bowl to show that he has the movement skills to remain at cornerback. During the practices, McGill really performed well in the receiving one-on-ones as he was able to maintain coverage with receivers in and out of their breaks. McGill demonstrated the hip flexibility to turn and run with receivers downfield.

McGill continued that impressive display at the Combine. He ran well and showed loose hips in the field work. In 2013, McGill notched 37 tackles with 12 passes broken up and an interception. He missed the 2012 season with a shoulder injury. McGill's stock could climb in the lead up to the draft.

Alright, I really don't post here often but I'm a pretty frequent lurker. Did a "play the GM" post a while ago that was received ok I guess and plan to do another once all this FA stuff calms down. But I wanted to take the time and talk about Mr. Revis and the potential of adding him to our Browns. Essentially (despite being pretty jetlagged at the moment) I think I'm thoroughly convinced on this point:

We should absolutely trade a low round pick for Darrell Revis.

I've gone through the posts discussing this possibility and I think most of the counterpoints to this idea fall into one of a couple categories. First is the argument that Revis is washed up and he's no longer the player that he used to be. My response to this argument: that's nonsense. Utter nonsense. Complete and utter nonsense. I think there's a natural tendency to think he's old and therefore washed up because we've heard his name for so long. Also, he's changed teams so there's a feeling that he's kind of been used up by the league. Also he had an injury two years ago, but he started and played in every game last year. The truth of the matter is that he's only 28 years old. Well within his prime. Actually not just within his prime; probably at his peak. To paraphrase the great philosopher Dennis Reynolds, he's about to peak so hard that everyone in the NFL is going to feel it. He didn't look great with Tampa Bay because their offense was never on the field, so their defense was always on the field, they had no pass rush, and even Deion couldn't cover for more than 10 seconds. It is a team sport in the end. But put this guy opposite Joe Haden with a blitz-happy Pettine and you've got a guy that's poised for nothing less than... well... peaking.

Second counterpoint is that he's self-centered. Listen, I'm not asking you to have a beer with the guy. In fact, you'll probably live the whole of your life never having to interact with Mr. Revis. So the issue is how will he be in the clubhouse. You know what takes care of that? Winning. When he was with the Jets and they were the best defense in the history of opposition or whatever, no one considered Revis a locker room cancer. That happened with losing. And you know what, if we're losing my last concern is if anyone has their feelings hurt by one of our cornerbacks. And for what it's worth, isn't Haden the perfect compliment to Revis in this regard? The dude is like our golden boy who can do no wrong. Hell everyone liked him even when he had a suspension for drugs. Lets just say, even assuming arguendo that this is an issue, this is one we are equipped to manage.

The third big point is the contract. It's a lot of money. Whole lot. No arguments there. It's a fuckton. It eats the salary cap. We're done in free agency and we're also not going to be able to sign out own guys to futu..... wait a second. Hold on. No. That last part isn't right. We're done in free agency this year, sure. But not being able to sign our guys in the future to contracts? Nope. Not an issue. Why? Because Tampa Bay did get one thing right, and no it's not Bobby Rainey. The entirety of the contract is not guaranteed. You can cut and part ways and take him off the books with no dead money. So instead of sacrificing the ability to sign our guys in the future, all we're doing is changing the dynamic. It's not "lets have cap space" vs. "lets sign our guys". It's "lets keep Revis" vs. "lets keep our guys." And hell, what if Revis IS ONE OF OUR GUYS. And what if we do start winning and now magically Revis is willing to renegotiate to build in some guaranteed money? The future would not be as bleak as many would make it seem. I live in Texas and I watch the cowboys every year spend crazy amounts of money and just BARELY make it under the cap. Sure, they just had to part with Demarcus Ware because of their salary cap situation. But you know what? They had Demarcus Ware! For 7 or 8 or whatever Pro Bowls! And you know what, if Ware wasn't about to be Karlos Dansby's age, I bet the cowboys would have figured out how to keep him on the roster. It's called working the salary cap. I say lets dive in and try it. The alternative hasn't worked.

And so that brings me to my reason for wanting him. No it's not just because he's a good player. There are a lot of good players. Players like Revis don't become available a whole lot and they're hard to find in the draft, but they're out there. No, the reason I want Revis on this team because as soon as he gets into camp, now we have an identity. Now other teams know what they're fucking with. They're dealing with blitz-happy Pettine who somehow managed to get the Bills to lead the league in sacks, so they know they're going to be throwing under some duress (please god... mingo... kruger... sheard... guys... please....) and when they throw where are they throwing? At Joe Haden. No wait fuck that lets throw the other direction. Shit, that's Darrell Revis. Shit. We draft a young moxy-ish QB like Manziel and get some big thumping RBs like Hyde/Hill/Wilder and now we've got a hard-nosed team that is going to pound you when we have the ball and is going to give you nightmares when you have the ball. We have the Seattle Seahawks! That team that just took the best team in the AFC and spit them out while smiling. I'll take that in Cleveland.

I get the other side though. And maybe I do need to sleep on it. It makes sense to me though. I'd do it.

Alright, I really don't post here often but I'm a pretty frequent lurker. Did a "play the GM" post a while ago that was received ok I guess and plan to do another once all this FA stuff calms down. But I wanted to take the time and talk about Mr. Revis and the potential of adding him to our Browns. Essentially (despite being pretty jetlagged at the moment) I think I'm thoroughly convinced on this point:

We should absolutely trade a low round pick for Darrell Revis.

I've gone through the posts discussing this possibility and I think most of the counterpoints to this idea fall into one of a couple categories. First is the argument that Revis is washed up and he's no longer the player that he used to be. My response to this argument: that's nonsense. Utter nonsense. Complete and utter nonsense. I think there's a natural tendency to think he's old and therefore washed up because we've heard his name for so long. Also, he's changed teams so there's a feeling that he's kind of been used up by the league. Also he had an injury two years ago, but he started and played in every game last year. The truth of the matter is that he's only 28 years old. Well within his prime. Actually not just within his prime; probably at his peak. To paraphrase the great philosopher Dennis Reynolds, he's about to peak so hard that everyone in the NFL is going to feel it. He didn't look great with Tampa Bay because their offense was never on the field, so their defense was always on the field, they had no pass rush, and even Deion couldn't cover for more than 10 seconds. It is a team sport in the end. But put this guy opposite Joe Haden with a blitz-happy Pettine and you've got a guy that's poised for nothing less than... well... peaking.

Second counterpoint is that he's self-centered. Listen, I'm not asking you to have a beer with the guy. In fact, you'll probably live the whole of your life never having to interact with Mr. Revis. So the issue is how will he be in the clubhouse. You know what takes care of that? Winning. When he was with the Jets and they were the best defense in the history of opposition or whatever, no one considered Revis a locker room cancer. That happened with losing. And you know what, if we're losing my last concern is if anyone has their feelings hurt by one of our cornerbacks. And for what it's worth, isn't Haden the perfect compliment to Revis in this regard? The dude is like our golden boy who can do no wrong. Hell everyone liked him even when he had a suspension for drugs. Lets just say, even assuming arguendo that this is an issue, this is one we are equipped to manage.

The third big point is the contract. It's a lot of money. Whole lot. No arguments there. It's a fuckton. It eats the salary cap. We're done in free agency and we're also not going to be able to sign out own guys to futu..... wait a second. Hold on. No. That last part isn't right. We're done in free agency this year, sure. But not being able to sign our guys in the future to contracts? Nope. Not an issue. Why? Because Tampa Bay did get one thing right, and no it's not Bobby Rainey. The entirety of the contract is not guaranteed. You can cut and part ways and take him off the books with no dead money. So instead of sacrificing the ability to sign our guys in the future, all we're doing is changing the dynamic. It's not "lets have cap space" vs. "lets sign our guys". It's "lets keep Revis" vs. "lets keep our guys." And hell, what if Revis IS ONE OF OUR GUYS. And what if we do start winning and now magically Revis is willing to renegotiate to build in some guaranteed money? The future would not be as bleak as many would make it seem. I live in Texas and I watch the cowboys every year spend crazy amounts of money and just BARELY make it under the cap. Sure, they just had to part with Demarcus Ware because of their salary cap situation. But you know what? They had Demarcus Ware! For 7 or 8 or whatever Pro Bowls! And you know what, if Ware wasn't about to be Karlos Dansby's age, I bet the cowboys would have figured out how to keep him on the roster. It's called working the salary cap. I say lets dive in and try it. The alternative hasn't worked.

And so that brings me to my reason for wanting him. No it's not just because he's a good player. There are a lot of good players. Players like Revis don't become available a whole lot and they're hard to find in the draft, but they're out there. No, the reason I want Revis on this team because as soon as he gets into camp, now we have an identity. Now other teams know what they're fucking with. They're dealing with blitz-happy Pettine who somehow managed to get the Bills to lead the league in sacks, so they know they're going to be throwing under some duress (please god... mingo... kruger... sheard... guys... please....) and when they throw where are they throwing? At Joe Haden. No wait fuck that lets throw the other direction. Shit, that's Darrell Revis. Shit. We draft a young moxy-ish QB like Manziel and get some big thumping RBs like Hyde/Hill/Wilder and now we've got a hard-nosed team that is going to pound you when we have the ball and is going to give you nightmares when you have the ball. We have the Seattle Seahawks! That team that just took the best team in the AFC and spit them out while smiling. I'll take that in Cleveland.

I get the other side though. And maybe I do need to sleep on it. It makes sense to me though. I'd do it.

yeah one of my best friends who is a steeler fan agrees with you.

that's why i never agree with him.

Call us at 4PM tomorrow- I call it BS, and I may just have to call you a Flamebaiter. With Verneer signing with the Bucs Revis is gonzo by many accounts- the Bucs not only can't afford him, the draft choice they owe for him gets bumped from a 4th to a 3rd rounder if he's still in the books.

It would be nuts for any team under those circumstances to offer anything more than a low round pick for Revis and eat his insane salary on top of it, with a virtual guarantee come 4PM tomorrow, teams will give up nothing to negotiate with him.. If he wants to hit the FA market and pick his team- I say- let him.

And for those of you hot on the defensive backfield of the decade kick with Revis on the Browns- just remember the Eagles tried that gambit with Asomugha & company not too long ago- and it didn't work out too well.

I assume you didn't read the rest of the thread. He's not a free agent. He just signed a 6 year 96 mill deal last year. The Bucs may cut him ($0 guaranteed) to free up the 16 mil and 1.5 mil signing bonus but a free agent he ain't.

He becomes a FA when he gets cut. What is it about that you don't understand. And all 32 teams are free to negotiate with him for whatever price they can agree to.

Buccaneers will not just release him to save $1.5M and move up a round in the middle of the draft.

yes they will. they don't want his contract @ $16 mil. the $1.5 is a bonus they have to pay if he's still on their team this afternoon.

he's gonna have to take a pay cut, especially after teams watch film from last year on him.

there was report that cleveland was in the mix with a trade early this morning but said he wouldn't take the pay cut cleveland was talking about. so i doubt you see him in brown and orange.

yes they will. they don't want his contract @ $16 mil. the $1.5 is a bonus they have to pay if he's still on their team this afternoon.

he's gonna have to take a pay cut, especially after teams watch film from last year on him.

there was report that cleveland was in the mix with a trade early this morning but said he wouldn't take the pay cut cleveland was talking about. so i doubt you see him in brown and orange.

Not that you're the best cat to ask this to, but I'll put it out there anyway.

Why was Revis so comparitively ineffective last season? I don't assume that it's what he is now, as history has dictated something stronger. But he certainly didn't have a good year. Just health issues?

Not that you're the best cat to ask this to, but I'll put it out there anyway.

Why was Revis so comparitively ineffective last season? I don't assume that it's what he is now, as history has dictated something stronger. But he certainly didn't have a good year. Just health issues?

Because Pettine wasn't the Bucs' DC, if you ask me.

I thought Revis was supposed to be traded to the Browns today. Except "today" was yesterday, which made

today "tomorrow", except today is today now...

Revis is too expensive, won't reneg, I'm fine with him going elsewhere if he doesn't want

to join the Browns.

I thought Revis was supposed to be traded to the Browns today. Except "today" was yesterday, which made

today "tomorrow", except today is today now...

Revis is too expensive, won't reneg, I'm fine with him going elsewhere if he doesn't want

to join the Browns.

Revis for a fifth rounder and say $10 million on a one year deal- fine. According to OP who's been smokin' the good stuff, First round pick and $16 million?

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

The Chiefs got Alex Smith for less than that.

3:35pm, tick, tock.... tick, tock, what are the Bucs gonna do!!!

Archived