THE BROWNS BOARD

Alex Boone is an idiot

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius
Ohio St. OL Boone arrested in California

ALISO VIEJO, Calif. (AP) — Ohio State offensive lineman Alex Boone has been arrested after being subdued with a Taser during an alleged drunken tirade.

Orange County sheriff's spokesman Jim Amormino says the 6-foot-8, 312-pound tackle was jumping on car hoods, yanking on a tow truck cable and trying to break a window when he was arrested late Sunday.

Amormino says the 21-year-old, who appeared intoxicated, was combative and uncooperative with sheriff's deputies and had to be taken down with a Taser. He was taken to a hospital and then to a jail medical ward, where he remains.

Boone, who was selected All-Big Ten this year, could be selected in the NFL draft in April.

Geez.. the guy gets drunk gets in a fight with the cops and he is undraftable?

Someone is going to pick up a good deal for taking a little chance on this guy..but it wont be us we are to busy looking for xxxxly goody twoshoes with no attitude or skills just a "yes sir" attitude is all you need to be a brown...hehehe

We have no identity because our players and owner have no balls...semi-tamed goons win games...yes men dont...

Guest ATENEARS

Ever since we started thinking that we were the San Franscico 49ers, and took on a white-collar mentality ... we have sucked big time.

Thanks Carmen Policy! How's that vineyard coming along?

Ever since we started thinking that we were the San Franscico 49ers, and took on a white-collar mentality ... we have sucked big time.

Thanks Carmen Policy! How's that vineyard coming along?

I do agree. The "Don" did put us on a path towards quiche and away from kishka.

Geez.. the guy gets drunk gets in a fight with the cops and he is undraftable?

Someone is going to pick up a good deal for taking a little chance on this guy..but it wont be us we are to busy looking for xxxxly goody twoshoes with no attitude or skills just a "yes sir" attitude is all you need to be a brown...hehehe

We have no identity because our players and owner have no balls...semi-tamed goons win games...yes men dont...

2 words ............. Warren Sapp

Guest Masters
2 words ............. Warren Sapp

Huh? Warren Sapp dropped in the draft do to reports of coke use. I don't recall Warren Sapp going all nutty like this.

Guys, you can believe that NFL owners really want to spend their money on is a guy who goes out and gets plowed (or whatever), starts breaking shit, and then fights with the cops so much that they've got to taser him, because that shows what a badass he is, or something, but I'd think you'd be mistaken.

Any draft prospect who behaves like this so close the day that determine his future in the NFL is an automatic red flag, because it shows a serious lack of maturity, and maybe more. Every NFL team is going to be wondering, "If he can't contain himself in the lead up to the draft, when can he contain himself?" To say nothing of the fact that most NFL prospects are working their asses off at a training camp right now, not drunk and hiding from the cops under a stranger's patio.

Guest Masters
Warren Sapp dropped because of smoking dope. Sam wyche drafted him late when nobody wanted to touch him. We will just have to wait and see.

It was coke allegations (though there were pot allegations too). I just watched his NFL Films half hour with Steve Sabol on Sapp (one on one interview for a half hour) a week ago. They spent a lot of time talking about it and both talked how it was the coke rumor that scared teams off. Still, what does that have in common with what Boone just did?

Draft stock just dropped like a frickin' rock....NFL teams over the past several years have taken a "don't be the Bengals" mentality. Guys of his size and skills are a dime a dozen these days...if you think that teams aren't gonna pass on him now, you're crazy! I think that it is sad that guys like this don't have better people around him to put the brakes on and say, "Dude, do you really want to piss(literally, seeing that he was drunk) away a couple million bucks?" Boone was projected as a third to fourth round pick and we all know that with the RIGHT people around him preparing him for combines and pro days, he could've easily moved up into the late second or early third...not so much any more. He could come out and bench 500 lbs 10x and isn't gonna see his name until the 6th or 7th at least. I wish him the best and believe that everyone should get a second chance...really hope that he gets his head on straight and redeems himself.

This begs to ask the question...what the hell is going on w/our so-called future role models, ie Phelps too! Plenty of time to hit the pipe and pound the brown bottle later in life, make your millions first and enjoy your retirement/wild days later!!!

Warren Sapp dropped because of smoking dope. Sam wyche drafted him late when nobody wanted to touch him. We will just have to wait and see.

Warren Sapp was a lot better than this cat too. he went from maybe #1 to where?? Maybe 15 that year?

Boone was a 5th-6th rounder anyway...if that....he needs to be able to spell Canada.

This is not the first time Boone has had issues with drinking. He's never lived up to his billing. It's too bad, because he is a very talented football player. Maybe he'll be able to conquer his demons, but at this point I would stay away from him.

Also, I thought his stock may have risen after the Texas game, considering Orakpo's did nothing against the Bucks.

Could someone please tell me why in the world OSU's line is even getting a sniff in the draft?! Everygame the past two seasons when we faced a dominant(dominant in the college ranks translates into average in the NFL) D-line, OSU got their asses handed to them. Yes, they have great size...but, these clowns couldn't muster much of anything in several games this season, ala USC, PSU, LSU last year(just off the top of my head). If all of these guys are supposedly going to be playing on Sundays, then surely they should have just manhandled their opponents as a unit...I personally can't point to one game last year and say that they absolutely dominated the opposition. I certainly don't want to see Boone dawning the brown and orange anytime soon...get me some guys w/their heads on straight that actually did something against their adversaries in the collegiate level that don't have a drinking problem and aren't overhyped just because of their size. What ever happened to drafting FOOTBALL PLAYERS???

While Boone was most certainly an underachiever at OSU, he still was the team's best lineman while he was there. The issue on the line was the putrid play of Steve Rehring and Bryant Browning, and also the fact that highly touted guys like Connor Smith weren't good enough to supplant any of them. Even Jim Cordle, who was marginal at best at center, was moved to guard to get Mike Brewster involved. We'll see what Mike Adams and JD Shugarts bring to the table with a year under their belt and being healthy.

OSU's line troubles have been glaring since the National Championship season and most of those guys are still playing on Sundays. It's beginning to look like a scheme issue there or something with Jim Bollman (Ashtabula Harbor grad) the oline coach and O coordinator---even though Jim T calls the plays. It's like they just expect to blow people off the ball and never do it. I've always maintained that they don't come off the ball low enough looking to drive block, and many times it's because of the height. Wells made them look good this year.

The speed issue in the last two title games was all on the coaching. They made no adjustments whatsoever to give Boone and Barton a chance. I agree they are both not the quickest but Boone will be a RT in the NFL anyway. He was a big time recruit and goof coming out but for the most part handled himself well at OSU, otherwise Jim T would have cracked down on his ass.

It was definitely a stupid mistake by a big, dumb oaf who can't handle his liquor at times. Certainly no excuse for it, but he's also not Jack the Ripper either and will definitely learn his lesson from this. I wouldn't be surprised if Jim T leads the way to get him some alcohol counseling and he will probably clean up his act pretty well coming into the league.

This is a fooked up opinion, but I see a guy getting into trouble like this before the draft as a guy who will come into the league cleaned up already, whereas many just haven't been caught yet and are still getting away with their shenanigans. Boone would be a good pick in the 5th round as someone to groom at RT. Good NFL coaching can make him a viable player within a few years, he has the definite size and is somewhat athletic.

Here is a article that seems to fit in well with this thread.

Rob Oller commentary: Ohio State seems to undervalue talented linemen

Thursday, February 5, 2009 3:32 AM

By Rob Oller

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

The oohs and aahs poured in as Ohio State signed one skill position player after another.

Running back Jaamal Berry ... ooooh. Might he be the next Archie Griffin? Receiver Duron Carter ... aaaah. The next Cris Carter? Move over, dad.

The list of "sexy" recruits continued with linebacker Storm Klein and cornerback Corey Brown, perhaps the next two big names to play defense in the Horseshoe.

But if the Buckeyes expect to begin defeating teams such as Florida and Southern California, then incoming offensive lineman Marcus Hall had better be the next Orlando Pace and defensive lineman John Simon the next Will Smith.

Recent history, however, is not on OSU's side when it comes to cultivating talent in the trenches. Of the 19 linemen from coach Jim Tressel's first three recruiting classes, including those who could have declared early for the draft, the only full-time NFL starters this season were New York Jets center Nick Mangold and Oakland defensive end Jay Richardson. Seattle guard Rob Sims started every game in 2007 but missed all but one game this year because of a torn pectoral muscle.

Moreover, only five of the 19 were listed on NFL rosters at season's end, and one of those, Vernon Gholston, moved from defensive end to linebacker with the Jets.

And there's even more evidence to suggest something is amiss, either with OSU's recruiting or with coaching of line talent, dating to before Tressel arrived in 2001. Ohio State lists 38 former Buckeyes who played in the NFL this season, of which 11 are either offensive or defensive linemen (28.9 percent). Florida and USC each list 16 of their 44 current pros as linemen (36.4), LSU lists 15 of its 43 (34.9), and Oklahoma lists eight of 25 (32).

The differential might seem slight, but then the difference between winning and losing games against the best college teams is slight, too. A quicker step here and there has a big effect. For proof, go back and watch the Ohio State-Florida national championship game, when the Gators' defensive linemen burned the Buckeyes off the edges. Or check out when the same thing happened during last season's lopsided loss to USC.

"It's significant. Even if you have the best quarterback in the world, he's cooked if the line can't protect him," NFL draft analyst Jerry Jones said. "Look what happened to Troy Smith (against Florida). The protection was absolutely terrible."

Jones then echoed a common chorus of confusion among longtime OSU watchers.

"It's a funny thing, because historically (Ohio) is a very strong area for linemen," he said. "Go back years and there are a number of (NFL) Hall of Fame guys."

The number is three: Lou Groza, Jim Parker and Bill Willis.

College linemen do not need to be future Hall of Famers to prove proficient at blocking for their schools, but the relative dearth of NFL line talent from Ohio State, particularly during Tressel's watch, is cause for pause.

"I think they go after the best, and they have a first-class coaching staff," Jones said. "But I don't think it comes as high of a priority for them as some places."

The Buckeyes' 2008 recruiting class included two five-star offensive linemen in Mike Adams and Michael Brewster. Today's class lacks a five-star signee, but the ratings system is far from perfect. Mangold was "only" a four-star pick. Alex Boone, meanwhile, was a five-star pick whom Jones uses as a perfect example of bigger not always being better.

"He's talented to a certain point, but mostly he just has a big body. The guys who really make it in the NFL mostly have great feet and strength," Jones said, adding that most of the best, quickest linemen now come from the South. "And most Southern kids don't get away from the South."

All eight of Ohio State's 2009 line recruits are from Ohio.

Do corn-fed Midwest linemen still cut it in college football? Yes, but they must be big and quick. Offensive tackle Jake Long, born in Michigan, was the No. 1 pick of the 2008 draft, and Browns offensive tackle Joe Thomas of Wisconsin was the No. 3 overall pick in 2007. The talent is here (Florida just signed a 6-6, 300-pound offensive lineman from Indianapolis). Maybe the Buckeyes just need to do a better job of signing it. Or developing it.

Rob Oller is a sports reporter for The Dispatch.

roller@dispatch.com

Good article. I've maintained the last few years that the talent is just not up north like it is down south for impact oline and dline players. I've been pining for Jim T to get some stud DT's in here even if he has to go to Louisiana to get them. The Bucks have had nothing but converted DE's and high school wrestlers manning the middle now and this is another reason I marvel at how people claim Laurinaitis is overrated.

Now, on offense, they've brought some big time recruits in and Boone was one of them. I go back to the coaching and/or overrating the recruits. Shugarts is a Texan and Brewster a Floridian, while Adams is from Columbus. Will Smith was from New York.

Jim T goes after olineman from all over the country, but he just doesn't seem to make a huge push for the stud size in the middle of the dline.

I still say (even though he's from my home town) that Bollman should be held accountable for a lot of the underachieving by the oline. Jim T was not happy last year, believe me, and the nice, calm Jim T we see in public was all over the line's asses. Some of my buddies and I are actually glad to be rid of Boone, Rehring and Person (Barton before them) because we want to see what these kids can do. Nick Mangold was inserted into the line 2/3rds through the title season as a true frosh and moved Stepanovich over to take over for Bryce Bishop's sorry fat ass. I'd like to see all three of last year's recruits get starting time along with Bryant Browning never starting again.

Could someone please tell me why in the world OSU's line is even getting a sniff in the draft?! Everygame the past two seasons when we faced a dominant(dominant in the college ranks translates into average in the NFL) D-line, OSU got their asses handed to them. Yes, they have great size...but, these clowns couldn't muster much of anything in several games this season, ala USC, PSU, LSU last year(just off the top of my head). If all of these guys are supposedly going to be playing on Sundays, then surely they should have just manhandled their opponents as a unit...I personally can't point to one game last year and say that they absolutely dominated the opposition. I certainly don't want to see Boone dawning the brown and orange anytime soon...get me some guys w/their heads on straight that actually did something against their adversaries in the collegiate level that don't have a drinking problem and aren't overhyped just because of their size. What ever happened to drafting FOOTBALL PLAYERS???

Actually, of all the players on the original starting line at OSU in 2008, Boone may very well be the only player that gets any kind of look from the NFL. Rehring could be drafted late but I expect him to not make a squad. Browning doesn't have a chance. Person is awful and has no chance. Cordel could get a look because he's a center but I doubt he'll ever play in the NFL.

Other than Boone none of these guys were big time recruits and I think their play was about what was expected from them.

Rehring was a three star recruit ranked somewhere around the 50th best OL prospect. Browning was about the same.

Cordel was only ranked in the 30's. Person was fairly highly ranked but was a bust.

Only Boone came in with really high expectations. I think the Bucks got just about what they recruited. Not much.

These last two class will be a lot different. Brewster, Shugarts, Adams, Hall, Linsley and Mewhort have been some of the highest ranked recruits in the country. Linsley isn't even talked about much and Scout considers him the 8th best Guard in the country. Mewhort's stock, while high already, jumped after the Underarmor game. Hall is the nations 5th best OT prospect. Those three were in the 2009 class and don't even come close to the rankings of the three in the 2008 class.

Jamaal Berry is going to have a lot of fun over the next few years.

Archived