THE BROWNS BOARD

3 Days to Kill Review

3 days to kill

Relativity

PG 13

So for my second scoop of vanilla ice cream this issue we have a little film, actually a Franco American partnership, called 3 DAYS TO KILL. And lest anyone be confused with subtitles or literal translation the movie is about someone who has 3 days to, well, YPU KNOW. The genre here is a little hard to nail down but it’s something of a concoction mixing one part preposterous action film, one part under developed family redemption and just a dash of not really all that funny comedy. Of course that's about the worst thing you can say and frankly it works. One of the bright spots is Kevin Costner can still sell the charismatic everyman with the best of them despite noticeable signs of age. Here he is Ethan a reluctant CIA assassin about to retire when he's informed by his doctor that he has a very rare form of movie cancer and only has a short time to live. (This particular ailment is very similar to the one suffered by Ben Gazzara and Allie McGraw.) As it turns out the CIA, (or whatever nefarious organization he's hooked up with) doesn't want him to leave just yet. His boss Vivi (Amber Heard), is one of the least credible characters I've seen in a film for a while. She's as deadly and ruthless as any James Bond villain yet sports the looks and the manner of a fashion model, affecting a complete makeover including hair wardrobe makeup etc between every scene she's in. She just happens to have and experimental cure for all movie diseases and trades it for one more job, mainly killing a bunch of really evil guys.

Here's the rub. Weary of this violent lifestyle all our boy wants to do is try to repair his relationship with his estranged wife and daughter and spend his last remaining time as a husband and father, time that only this miracle drug can give him.

So from then on we switch between action sequences and bonding with his daughter sequences. None of these scenes are particularly funny exciting or suspenseful but they work together as a unit mainly because it's impossible not to like Kevin Costner. As you know I don't read other reviews until mine is put together but I just looked and saw a surprisingly low number of stars in most of the Metascore types of sites.

Personally I save the D grades and below for things that really piss me off.

While I don't expect to see this among the best picture nominations next year it's still a surprisingly entertaining popcorn movie.

B-

WSS

• 2 weeks later...

one movie in costner's resume that doesn't get that much attention is MR. BROOKS.

a great movie IMO. he's done some bad movies but overall the westerns were really good and FOR THE LOVE OF THE GAME was on a plus side (but a little long).

still gotta see mr. brooks.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived