THE BROWNS BOARD

Lombardi and Banner gone, Farmer new GM

LondonBrown

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MKC with Ray Farmer, lot's of good Q & A :

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/02/cleveland_browns_ray_farmer_q.html#incart_river

In regards to QB and Draft position:

Q: If you had to pick a quarterback tomorrow, do you have your man?

A: Yes, I do. I've studied the quarterbacks and I've studied other players, and I've already started to formulate the rank and order of each position. I do know what I'd do if I was held down at the moment. It doesn't mean that can't change, but I currently have somebody in front.

Q: Will you draft a quarterback?

A: I don't think we have to do anything. The charge is to get it right regardless of which position. (But) I there are players in this draft who can help us at that position and dependent upon where they're at and where we're at, if the two can match up, we can be in good shape. I just don't know if we're going to have the opportunity to take those players.

Q: The guy you have in mind, would you take him at No. 4?

A: I'd say that No. 4 is not necessarily where I would take the guy that I like. Again, it may not be the name that everybody thinks is the latest, greatest, and the easy one to spot. There's definitely an art to selecting people in the draft and it's finding the right name that fits who you want to be.

I don't know about anyone else, but to me this says we're not trading up to take a guy, and it's probably not going to be Manziel.

EDIT:

Keep finding standout stuff :

Q: You seem less enamored with a "championship caliber quarterback'' than your predecessors. Is that accurate?

A: People seem to think you can't win unless you have a superstar quarterback. In the NFL, the vast majority of quarterbacks are guys that have to be managed. You have to put them in situations where they can be successful, and when you get them

out of their comfort zone, or you put them in situations where they fail, it's not going to be positive for your club. The position isn't as complicated as people think it is.

I'm now 100% sure he's talking about Derek Carr when he's talking about the QB position.

Carr at #4 overall, eh. Carr at #26 would be ideal, but, he's not sure he'll be available the next time they pick.

...just my observation...

I'm now 100% sure he's talking about Derek Carr when he's talking about the QB position.

Carr at #4 overall, eh. Carr at #26 would be ideal, but, he's not sure he'll be available the next time they pick.

You being 100% sure about anything means it's certainly not true.

For some reason the first person that came to mind was Garoppolo.

"A: I'd say that No. 4 is not necessarily where I would take the guy that I like. Again, it may not be the name that everybody thinks is the latest, greatest, and the easy one to spot. There's definitely an art to selecting people in the draft and it's finding the right name that fits who you want to be."

Damn, this whole Christmas in February thing just keeps getting better. No Johnny Scramble at 4, and certainly no trading picks to move up to 1 to get him. Just pick the best player available............. There is a Santa Claus.

"A: I'd say that No. 4 is not necessarily where I would take the guy that I like. Again, it may not be the name that everybody thinks is the latest, greatest, and the easy one to spot. There's definitely an art to selecting people in the draft and it's finding the right name that fits who you want to be."

Damn, this whole Christmas in February thing just keeps getting better. No Johnny Scramble at 4, and certainly no trading picks to move up to 1 to get him. Just pick the best player available............. There is a Santa Claus.

Watkins it is or Clowney

Farmer has given us NO indication whether or not pick# 4 will be QB, DE, WR, ILB, etc, trade up, trade down.....whatever!...and I don't believe there's a damn one of us on this board more qualified than Farmer & his Staff.

I assume NOTHING until it happens, but it's fun reading & watching all the speculation. For damn sure this process is in far better hands than it was a scant week ago. I can trust the "builders" we now have in place. Again, "we'll see".

Mike

May well be the case, but I still do not see him standing up in a 3-4. If we're to be a 4-3 D, then bring him on unless...

Do you have any concerns about his "motor"?

Werner was one of the best 4-3 DE's in football the year before and he's made the switch to the hybrid pretty well. He got alot of playing time during the Colts playoff run subbing in for Mathis. I see zero reason why Clowney can't also be a hybrid. Infact, he's the prototype guy that can play both positions.

But Mike ......................... I have a Magic Eightball, lucky dice, half a Tarot deck and Google. Are you telling me that's not good enough?? LOL just kidding Mike

HAHAHA....I had a Magic Eightball when I was a kid! THAT"S been a few years.

Mike

well we all know we aren't dumb enough (anymore) to even look a RB until the 3rd, correct?

WR depth in this draft is pretty impressive so we could also grab a guy in the 2nd.

i wouldn't be at all surprised if we traded down a couple of spots if someone was ringing the phone off the hook and 'their' guys aren't there.

i would address CB with our 2nd pick. but that's all i've been saying for 4 years now.

I always said Joe Banner was the best hire the Browns ever made. Why? Because he knew how to make a football team successful in a city that was a complete and total disaster like Cleveland and Philly. Just for fun, look up the worst (worst crime, worst schools, worst city management, etc.) cities in the US and you will see that it represents the NFL's worst organizations.

Nobody in their right mind wants to work in these cities when they have a choice......Joe Banner made the Eagles successful in spite of Philly being one the countries worst cities.

I love Philadelphia. It's a classy city, unlike Shitsburgh.

philly is great if you're a tourist and not wearing anything sports related anti-philly.

they are the worse fans in america by far. they do bottle-gate every sunday and have a courtroom, judge and jail inside the football stadium itself.

real nice.

I always said Joe Banner was the best hire the Browns ever made. Why? Because he knew how to make a football team successful in a city that was a complete and total disaster like Cleveland and Philly. Just for fun, look up the worst (worst crime, worst schools, worst city management, etc.) cities in the US and you will see that it represents the NFL's worst organizations.

Nobody in their right mind wants to work in these cities when they have a choice......Joe Banner made the Eagles successful in spite of Philly being one the countries worst cities.

Can't be the case because Pittsburgh....one of the worst cities going, does not have one of the worst organizations. It is just a place to stop for gas between Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland and Philly. :ph34r:

And here is where you get a clue: If Joe Banner had continued to do things the way he did in Philly, then maybe it would have worked out here to.....but he went way beyond his limitations. He tried to take control of the entire football operations. Now, Banner may have been a great Haberdasher, and even a very good NFL money manager. But he was not a football guy, and probably should not have tried to be one, and he should not have tried to usurp the authority of those football men in charge.

And his worst sin: He failed to keep his owner happy. The owner apparently saw that a good deal of the reason for the failure of this team since he took over could be laid at the doorstep of Banner and how he wanted to control things. So, if you don't keep your boss happy, then it cannot be said that he was successful...either on or off the field.

But you see, you allow your clouded vision of Pittsburgh to make you jump to very poor conclusions. Pittsburgh is a bad city ONLY in the mind of Browns fans because to believe otherwise would be more than a Browns fan can handle.

I agree with this: the thing that makes Pittsburgh a bad city is the fact that it has Steeler fans in it.

And, by the way....it is the same with you. The ONLY thing that makes Cleveland bad is in your mind because your prejudice toward it because there are Browns fans here that bitch slap you on a frequent basis. I understand from that perspective how things can be distorted for you.

Browns fans provide some of the best entertainment in the area. My perception of Cleveland is .....well.....it's Cleveland; and that is well documented. Cleveland's shortcomings as a city are well documented in too many places to count. Pittsburgh's shortcoming are imagined in the minds of Browns fans. Big difference.

I have been to both and Cleveland and Pittsburgh are two peas in a pod. If you think that one town is really better than the other then you are just doing it to stroke your ego.....or something else.

The only thing that Pittsburgh has on Cleveland is that somewhat more recently it has won some silly sports titles.

First of all you are either a bold faced liar or you prefer nasty cities; the two cities are night and day in every way. Secondly, saying that Pittsburgh has somewhat recently won some silly sports titles is like saying the Titanic sank from from hitting a somewhat chilly patch of water.

Great two line retort. Why don't you educate us with your wisdom oh great Shitsburgh guru. What exactly as a city in terms of attractions, dining or culture does Shitsburgh have that Cleveland does not.

Formerly Sane,

I work in both Pittsburgh and Cleveland. I am quite literally in each of those cities multiple times per week (at least twice per city per week). I also have the benefit of having lived in other cities in other states (San Antonio, San Fran, D.C., Baltimore, Honolulu, etc.), so I have some outside form of reference. Believe me, sir, Pittsburgh and Cleveland are not "night and day" in possibly any way.

Successful? You call 4-12 successful? Maybe from a Steeler perspective where you want the Browns to suck forever.

What Banner knew how to do was build an organization. Excepting Lombardi- one very bad hire greased his skids out of town. Joe's problem is he let his head get too big too fast- he wanted to run the whole enchillada funneling every decisoin through him, andHaslam (IMHO) rightly decided he wasn't up to the task.

Archived