THE BROWNS BOARD

Rams fan talking draft

maxwell

I'm a Rams fan interested in what the vibe is from your perspective on the draft.

On many Rams board, the view is that the Rams are pushing to trade down with a number of teams. Atlanta, Minny, and Cleveland are the most mentioned.

It's been made clear by Fisher and Snead that they are sticking with Bradford at least this year, so they aren't drafting a QB in the first round. And there is a prevailing view that the Rams will go either OT or WR and would like to do it in a trade down.

Do you guys think the Browns are interested in trading up to get a QB or do you feel confident that they will stay put at #4 and hope the guy you want is there?

This is assuming that the Browns are going QB with their first pick. Is that what you guys expect?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I expect the Browns to select QB with their first selection. Whether or not they trade up to do so relies on things we don't currently know: Who goes 1st overall, who are the Browns targeting, how will perceptions change after the combine and private work-outs, Who do the Browns believe JAX will select, etc. I'm of the mind that this FO stockpiled draft picks through last years draft and the Richardson trade so they would be able to move up to select their most coveted QB prospect. However, being that the Browns own the #4 spot and there are still a lot of unanswered questions about this QB class, anyone's guess is as good as mine if they will trade up or not.

BTW, you aren't the first Rams fan to come here and ask this question.

I expect the Browns to select QB with their first selection. Whether or not they trade up to do so relies on things we don't currently know: Who goes 1st overall, who are the Browns targeting, how will perceptions change after the combine and private work-outs, Who do the Browns believe JAX will select, etc. I'm of the mind that this FO stockpiled draft picks through last years draft and the Richardson trade so they would be able to move up to select their most coveted QB prospect. However, being that the Browns own the #4 spot and there are still a lot of unanswered questions about this QB class, anyone's guess is as good as mine if they will trade up or not.

BTW, you aren't the first Rams fan to come here and ask this question.

Thanks.

I totally agree with you that we don't know who is going 1st overall yet.

My thought on that is Houston won't trade down because they need a QB and even if they decided not to go with a QB with the first pick I don't think they would trade down and risk losing Clowney. Houston doesn't need an LT or a WR, so a trade down to get Matthews, Robinson or Watkins doesn't make sense. If they trade down it would be for a defensive player, and it doesn't seem likely that they would pass on Clowney to take Barr or Mack just to pick up extra picks. I don't believe Houston will trade with the Browns to let the Browns pick a QB. Houston could very well be stuck at #4 and miss out on the QB they want as well as miss out on Clowney. Of course, this is all predicated on the belief that Clowney will emerge as the clear best defensive player in the draft. This will clear itself up after the Combine, and I expect Clowney will emerge as the guy.

So regardless of whether Houston goes with a QB or Clowney they are staying at #1. If they go QB at #1, it's all a guess for months as to who it is. That's why we will all have to wait until draft day for any trades.

While Houston controls what QB goes first and to who, they can only control one of them and may pass on all of them. So the odds are very high that the QB the Browns want will be available to them if they trade up with the Rams.

One potential problem for the Browns if they stay put at #4 is that the Rams may trade with Minny, and Minny takes a QB at #2, then Jax takes a QB at #3.

Do you have any thoughts on this?

And hopefully this Rams fan is adding some new perspective to this topic. thanks again.

Thanks.

I totally agree with you that we don't know who is going 1st overall yet.

My thought on that is Houston won't trade down because they need a QB and even if they decided not to go with a QB with the first pick I don't think they would trade down and risk losing Clowney. Houston doesn't need an LT or a WR, so a trade down to get Matthews, Robinson or Watkins doesn't make sense. If they trade down it would be for a defensive player, and it doesn't seem likely that they would pass on Clowney to take Barr or Mack just to pick up extra picks. I don't believe Houston will trade with the Browns to let the Browns pick a QB. Houston could very well be stuck at #4 and miss out on the QB they want as well as miss out on Clowney. Of course, this is all predicated on the belief that Clowney will emerge as the clear best defensive player in the draft. This will clear itself up after the Combine, and I expect Clowney will emerge as the guy.

So regardless of whether Houston goes with a QB or Clowney they are staying at #1. If they go QB at #1, it's all a guess for months as to who it is. That's why we will all have to wait until draft day for any trades.

While Houston controls what QB goes first and to who, they can only control one of them and may pass on all of them. So the odds are very high that the QB the Browns want will be available to them if they trade up with the Rams.

One potential problem for the Browns if they stay put at #4 is that the Rams may trade with Minny, and Minny takes a QB at #2, then Jax takes a QB at #3.

Do you have any thoughts on this?

And hopefully this Rams fan is adding some new perspective to this topic. thanks again.

I'll be dumbfounded if the first three picks of the draft are all used on a QB. one of the best QB classes in recent memory (2012) didn't have 3 QBs selected in the top five, so I can't bring myself to believe that this class will outdo 2012 in that respect.

I'm not concerned in the least that one of the top 3 QBs will be available at 4, the only issue is whether or not the Browns FO will be willing to stay at 4 to select a QB who isn't their top prospect.

Some draft experts are saying that none of the QBs available this year are deserving of a top 5 pick, I disagree, but the Rams certainly don't have the same leverage they had in 2012.

I have a different take and am with a fair segment of this board that does not see a QB worth taking at #4 let alone trading up. Most of us want Watkins at #4.

As for our pick stockpile... Our FO told us last year that they really did not know what they had personnel-wise, so deferring picks until 2014 via trade made sense. As for TR I believe they were trying to get as much value as possible out of a failed experiment.

Then there's the Hoyer factor...

Now whether I and the folks who share my view are closer to where our FO is, is anybody's guess at this point.

Also, having been in Texas for decades (mostly in Houston), I think I have a feel for that organization and share your view that they will stay at #1 and take a QB.

What I am curious about the Rams fans is how big is the camp that thinks Bradford is "the guy"?

I'll be dumbfounded if the first three picks of the draft are all used on a QB. one of the best QB classes in recent memory (2012) didn't have 3 QBs selected in the top five, so I can't bring myself to believe that this class will outdo 2012 in that respect.

I'm not concerned in the least that one of the top 3 QBs will be available at 4, the only issue is whether or not the Browns FO will be willing to stay at 4 to select a QB who isn't their top prospect.

Some draft experts are saying that none of the QBs available this year are deserving of a top 5 pick, I disagree, but the Rams certainly don't have the same leverage they had in 2012.

True. The Rams don't have the same leverage as they had in 2012. But I doubt they are asking for anything close to that ridiculous compensation.

Thing is, the Rams would be almost as well served at #4 as #2. I can see them making the deal for little more than a 2nd rounder.

There are so many great players that will go in the first round. I am one of a few that wants to stick with Hoyer and look for a late 1st/2nd round QB, if even then. If the Browns trade with the Rams, or trade up with HOU or JAC for a QB, I will be just as upset as when they selected Weeden. Watkins, Clowney, Teddy or Johnny will be there at 4. Absolutely no need to trade up, I'll take what comes to us.

I have a different take and am with a fair segment of this board that does not see a QB worth taking at #4 let alone trading up. Most of us want Watkins at #4.

As for our pick stockpile... Our FO told us last year that they really did not know what they had personnel-wise, so deferring picks until 2014 via trade made sense. As for TR I believe they were trying to get as much value as possible out of a failed experiment.

Now whether I and the folks who share my view are closer to where our FO is, is anybody's guess at this point.

Also having been in Texas for decades (mostly in Houston), I think I have a feel for that organization and share your view that they will stay at #1 and take a QB.

What I am curious about the Rams fans is how big is the camp that thinks Bradford is "the guy"?

I can answer the Bradford question. The prevailing belief of Rams fans is that the team should stick with him this year. It's totally make or break for him. The major issue Rams fans have with Bradford is his durability. Can he stay healthy for more than one year in a row? He has done that yet.

But there are extremist on both sides. Some love him to death and believe he is a special franchise QB, others wanted him cut 2 years ago.

There have been tons of excuses for Bradford. Many of them are valid. Revolving door of subpar WRs and a weak OL. He was drafted into probably the worst situation of any rookie starting QB in NFL history. That 2010 team was utterly void of talent, and the 2011 teams was a disaster of injuries of record proportions. Still, Bradford hasn't raised the level of play of the people around him. He's not worth the money they are paying him for sure; every Rams fan agrees with that. But it's possible that he could still be a very good QB if he can stay on the field. But as I said, if he goes down again this year, he's done.

Also, having been in Texas for decades (mostly in Houston), I think I have a feel for that organization and share your view that they will stay at #1 and take a QB.

I wouldn't say "most".

I still think most of this board wants a QB at 4.

Houston will take Clowney. I don't think there's anyway they can pass up on a defense that has Watt and Clowney opposite each other. I just hope we don't do something stupid like trade up with Houston and they get our 1st and 2nd picks. They would probably still get Clowney in that scenario and Cleveland would look worse than Indy did after we conned them with Trich

There are so many great players that will go in the first round. I am one of a few that wants to stick with Hoyer and look for a late 1st/2nd round QB, if even then. If the Browns trade with the Rams, or trade up with HOU or JAC for a QB, I will be just as upset as when they selected Weeden. Watkins, Clowney, Teddy or Johnny will be there at 4. Absolutely no need to trade up, I'll take what comes to us.

My guess is that if you want Watkins, you will probably be able to get him at #4. I doubt Clowney lasts that long. And there is a good chance that Teddy or Johnny is there at #4. Both I doubt both are.

I expect Houston and Jax to take a QB. And there is a chance that the Rams trade with Minny so they can take Johnny at #2. Or they could trade with Atlanta for Clowney. So it could go like this...

1. Houston - Bortles

2. Atlanta (trade) - Clowney

3. Jax -Johnny or Teddy

4. Cleve - QB or Watkins

4. Cleve - Teddy or Watkins

Houston will take Clowney. I don't think there's anyway they can pass up on a defense that has Watt and Clowney opposite each other. I just hope we don't do something stupid like trade up with Houston and they get our 1st and 2nd picks. They would probably still get Clowney in that scenario and Cleveland would look worse than Indy did after we conned them with Trich

Houston may very well take Clowney, but if they don't I can see the Rams either taking him or trading with Atlanta for him. So I think Clowney is going #1 or #2.

So the first QB is going either #1 or #2. And the second QB is going to Jax at #3.

If the Browns stay at #4, they will very likely get the the third QB, or Watkins. I highly doubt you get Clowney at #4.

There are many Rams fans that want Watkins at #2, but the big argument is that he's not a physical freak. He's may measure in under 6'1" at the Combine so he's not in the AJ Green, Juio Jones class. The remaining Rams fans want either Matthews or Robinson.

I can easily see the first three picks of the draft being 2 QBs and Clowney.

As you say, are the Browns ok with sitting at #4 and taking the 3rd QB or do they trade up to get their guy.

I like the rams, if they don't get a nice enough offer to trade down I could see them taking Greg Robinson or possibly Watkins.

I think Houston takes a QB regardless. Just probably not at #1.

I could see this with no trades:

Houston: Clowney

Rams: Robinson

Jags: Teddy

Browns: JF/Bortles/Watkins

I do expect your rams to shop that #2 pick pretty hard though. They might get some interest from the Browns if they really want a QB and are concerned the jags will take their guy. I hope we don't trade you much if that's the case.

I'll be pissed if we trade any of our first 5 picks. We have 5 of the first 83 picks, we should be able to get quality players without selling the farm to move up.

I wouldn't say "most".

I still think most of this board wants a QB at 4.

True... poorly worded on my part...

I meant that most of us that do not favor taking a QB want Sammie.

Houston will take Clowney.

... and people argue with me abut drafting Watkins into the same receiving corps as Gordon.

If Houston adopts the 4-3 there is a chance that they might draft Clowney, but I do not see that happening.

I want Carlos Hyde at 4.

LOL... as well-o-well...

I can answer the Bradford question.

Thanks for the reply...

It seems that the starting QB is as controversial in St Louis as it is in any City without a Super Bowl winning QB... no shocker there...

I like the rams, if they don't get a nice enough offer to trade down I could see them taking Greg Robinson or possibly Watkins.

I think Houston takes a QB regardless. Just probably not at #1.

I could see this with no trades:

Houston: Clowney

Rams: Robinson

Jags: Teddy

Browns: JF/Bortles/Watkins

I do expect your rams to shop that #2 pick pretty hard though. They might get some interest from the Browns if they really want a QB and are concerned the jags will take their guy. I hope we don't trade you much if that's the case.

That's seems plausible to me. The Rams could very well take Robinson at #2. Fisher's son plays for Auburn, so he has a lot of insight into Robinson.

The Rams will shop the pick hard, as you said. Les Snead has come out and said as much. And as they showed in 2012 they aren't adverse to trading down several times. I can see them going down as far as Minny. If Minny really wants Johnny Football, it will cost them 2015 first round plus other picks. And Snead has said he would like another first rounder next year. But I don't see the Rams trading down to #8 for just additional picks this year.

Thanks for the reply...

It seems that the starting QB is as controversial in St Louis as it is in any City without a Super Bowl winning QB... no shocker there...

Good point. Even worse in a City without a winning record QB. Heck, the Dolphins are said to be unhappy with Tannehill already.

Must tell ya Maxwell I totally envy ur situation as a rams fan. Fisher is a great coach and will lead u guys to the promise lands yet again. I totally agree with the Bradford situation. I believe make or break non of the 3 Qbs at the top of the draft will probably be as good as him. And hell if he burns u have a much better crop of Qbs to choose from next year's draft.

Must tell ya Maxwell I totally envy ur situation as a rams fan. Fisher is a great coach and will lead u guys to the promise lands yet again. I totally agree with the Bradford situation. I believe make or break non of the 3 Qbs at the top of the draft will probably be as good as him. And hell if he burns u have a much better crop of Qbs to choose from next year's draft.

#2 and #13?! I'm super Jelly.

and if a trade was worked out with the browns: #4, #13 and #26?! Jesus tap-dancing, titty-fucking Christ that's enviable.

There are many Rams fans who have Fisher on the hot seat. They would dump him if the Rams don't win in his 3rd season.

Getting #2 was a gift from heaven. When they made that RG3 trade, many thought the Rams blew it.

If I were the Rams I'd want Watkins if as you say Bradford has no good targets. I'd climb the ladder down, trade with the Browns since I know the Jags are going to take a QB, and maybe trade down yet again if I think I could do it and still get Watkins at say, #8. Would be a nice way to stockpile some 2nd and 3rd round picks in a prett deep draft class.

... and people argue with me abut drafting Watkins into the same receiving corps as Gordon.

If Houston adopts the 4-3 there is a chance that they might draft Clowney, but I do not see that happening.

LOL... as well-o-well...

I think they'll draft him even if they stay 3-4. That dude is more athletically gifted now than either of our OLB'ers. They may start off using him like we use Kruger, with his hands mostly in the dirt. I see him becoming a consummate OLB though the likes of Aldon Smith but with a nastier rush.

Archived