THE BROWNS BOARD

I'm hearing talk that the Texans might be looking to trade for Hoyer.

Numbers I've heard so far are a 2nd or 3rd.

I'll post more if I hear, or if anyone else does put it on here.

Texans new HC has history with Hoyer and is supposedly big on him, so there may actually be something to this.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe Browns are thinking of packaging him up as part of a deal for the Texans 1st round draft pick?

Yep ... if they are all in on Manziel and they don't want the distraction of him competing with the hometown kid.

Zombo

There's, I'm sure, very little to this.

But it begs the question: would you?

If it is as ammo to get the first overall pick, then yes. Because Hoyer would just be a backup anyway, and we have those.

Zombo

Would be pretty foolish IMO because he's the one competent QB we have on our roster.

With the question marks on every QB prospect, I'd like to keep Hoyer on the roster - even if it's as the #2.

I can't see us trading him for something like a 3rd anyway. We'd have to draft a 2nd QB if we did something like that. I'd prefer a veteran who isn't named Weeden on the team as a backup.

That depends on what it would cost.

Hoyer + which pick to get the Texans # 1 pick? I like Hoyer, but if packaging him up with like the second 1st round pick, a third round, and a fourth round pick meant I could be picking at #1 AND #4, I'd do it in heart beat. Doubt that would fly though.

Would be pretty foolish IMO because he's the one competent QB we have on our roster.

With the question marks on every QB prospect, I'd like to keep Hoyer on the roster - even if it's as the #2.

How are there no question marks around Hoyer. You make it sound as if he is a some QB with proven ability.

He was a career backup who flamed out in Arizona, then put together two decent games here against two defenses starting backup and nickel cornerbacks. Let's not proclaim him to be anything else.

Conceivably, say we're able to package Hoyer, our 4th overall and a late round pick for Houston's first overall. You wouldn't take that deal?

I would. And I would take Bortles. And then Davante Adams. And then Louchiez Purifoy in the second. And Andre Williams in the third. And then I would take Boyd in the fourth.

Supposedly it was mentioned on WKNR this morning.

Still looking into it, but to add to it, the Texans owner is in his 70's (?) and may not want to chance/wait to develop a QB.

I can see some sense to it, I just don't know about the seriousness of it.

That depends on what it would cost.

Hoyer + which pick to get the Texans # 1 pick? I like Hoyer, but if packaging him up with like the second 1st round pick, a third round, and a fourth round pick meant I could be picking at #1 AND #4, I'd do it in heart beat. Doubt that would fly though.

Nope. I think that's a Madden trade ;)

I can't picture the Texans moving the #1 for him. But anything could happen.

How are there no question marks around Hoyer. You make it sound as if he is a some QB with proven ability.

He was a career backup who flamed out in Arizona, then put together two decent games here against two defenses starting backup and nickel cornerbacks. Let's not proclaim him to be anything else.

Conceivably, say we're able to package Hoyer, our 4th overall and a late round pick for Houston's first overall. You wouldn't take that deal?

I would. And I would take Bortles. And then Davante Adams. And then Louchiez Purifoy in the second. And Andre Williams in the third. And then I would take Boyd in the fourth.

Taking that deal depends on how late the other pick is.

I wouldn't trade up to take Bortles #1 either (or Manziel, possibly not Bridgewater). But everyone could debate their top prospects all day. I don't think we need to move up to #1 to get a really high quality guy, so I'm more inclined to not take that deal. If they like Hoyer enough to not request an additional draft pick besides #4, then probably would be a good deal.

Nope. I think that's a Madden trade ;)

I can't picture the Texans moving the #1 for him. But anything could happen.

They wouldn't be moving the #1 for him, they would be moving the #1 for him plus.

The Trade Value chart says that the #1 overall pick is worth 3000 pts.

#4 overall is worth 1800.

So, we trade #4.....that is 1800. The DATs would want another 1200 in value. What value does Hoyer bring to chop from that 1200 pt. deficit? Even the #26 pick only chops 700.

Hell, they would probably want Hoyer, #4, #26 and then some.

I wouldn't do it.....but I don't trust Lombardi not to be so stupid.

Me? No...

But if the FO wants Manziel then swapping 1sts plus Hoyer and another lower pick (our other 3rd?) is at least a palatable price for JF...

They wouldn't be moving the #1 for him, they would be moving the #1 for him plus.

So, we trade #4.....that is 1800. The DATs would want another 1200 in value. What value does Hoyer bring to chop from that 1200 pt. deficit? Even the #26 pick only chops 700.

The trade value chart isn't worth it's weight in shit. It's adjusted every year after the fact, so it doesn't really account for the players in this current draft.

A first overall pick in a Luck draft is four times as valuable as a first overall in this draft. There's a jumble for the top three or four spots, so Houston can ask for two firsts and a second all day and they'd never get it.

It comes down to how much they'd really want the player they're trading for. In his case, I doubt they're dying for Hoyer, so a deal is unlikely to be made. They won't come down on price nor would we give up the farm. It's not worth it on either side.

If we can dump Hoyer, our #4 and our second fourth rounder...then I would consider that deal, if only to ensure that we get the guy we actually want.

I wouldnt dump Hoyer and it would be foolish from a PR standpoint for the Browns who already are deemed the tre's Stooges...I think its all bunk...The Brownns need to redeem themselves in a big way.

He was talking about picking #1 AND #4 though, giving them #26 and whatever other picks.

If it is as ammo to get the first overall pick, then yes. Because Hoyer would just be a backup anyway, and we have those.

Zombo

Yeah!!! Hoyer two firsts and a third and we are shitting in tall cotton!

-----,hey wait a minute... Wasn't he just a back up here when we had another first round quarterback starting? I forget exactly who that was but I could swear that something happened to that plan...

What could that have been, damn, it seems like it was just recently...

WSS

By the way do we play Houston next season? If so that could be a good thing as they will be out of breath from laughing so hard over the trade that we can probably beat them in the 4th quarter. Maybe even better still bruises and broken bones from falling over and rolling on the floor, what do you think?

WSS

I would not make any trade involving Hoyer to move up to number 1. If we are dead set and convinced that we need to take a QB high in the first round number four should net us what we need. If not then package our 2nd rounder with our first too move up. I really don't even want to do that.

Hoyer has been a backup that is a fact. He showed us enough though to earn a shot at the starting job and he damn sure showed us he's money as the number two guy if nothing else.

We have too many needs to trade a later pick to move up at least anything in the top 3/4 rounds.

Say we trade Hoyer, #4, a 3rd to Houston for the #1 pick. Then we take manziel because it's no secret the browns have a love affair with him.

Then we have to take a second QB probably a Boyd type in round 4/5. Maybe a Garrapolo type in round 3.

I'm sure lots of fans like this scenario and I'd have no idea as to why.

1.) I'd rather have Hoyer than Boyd/Garappolo.

2.) I'd rather use the pick used on Boyd/Garrapolo (garappolo will go in round 3 , maybe 2) on another position of need.

3.) At this point, there is no clear best QB prospect. In a poll it would probably be split between Bortles/Carr/Manziel/Bridgewater. One of which will be there at #4

We'd be essentially throwing away 2 decent draft picks that could add nice depth or even starters.

If a QB emerges as a clear #1 by May, then I'd be all for it. But at this point, there isn't one.

Yeah!!! Hoyer two firsts and a third and we are shitting in tall cotton!

-----,hey wait a minute... Wasn't he just a back up here when we had another first round quarterback starting? I forget exactly who that was but I could swear that something happened to that plan...

What could that have been, damn, it seems like it was just recently...

WSS

Weren't you the guy that argued that Campbell wasnt a backup and that Weeden coulda made the Super Bowl with Seattle's defense?

But now Hoyer is so indispensable that we can't get rid of him even if we are bringing in the #1 overall pick in the draft at Qb and Campbell and Weeden are still under contract?

Zombo

Whatever decision that leads to the Browns landing their number one choice at qb will be justified.

The "we have too many holes to fill" mantra is a hold over from years past. Landing a franchise qb will fix a lot of perceived weaknesses at other positions.

Get a guy like Bridgewater who is pro ready, can read defenses/go through progressions and get the ball out quickly and the O line will play much better. Extend drives on offense with good decision making and accurate passing and the defense will be more rested and excited to play.

Of course there are plenty of upgrades to make, but a franchise qb is the most efficient and effective option. I know some of you think that there are no franchise qbs in this class, but if Bridgewater/ Bortles don't prove the skeptics wrong I'll eat a clump of my own hair.

We have too many needs to trade a later pick to move up at least anything in the top 3/4 rounds.

Say we trade Hoyer, #4, a 3rd to Houston for the #1 pick. Then we take manziel because it's no secret the browns have a love affair with him.

Then we have to take a second QB probably a Boyd type in round 4/5. Maybe a Garrapolo type in round 3.

I'm sure lots of fans like this scenario and I'd have no idea as to why.

1.) I'd rather have Hoyer than Boyd/Garappolo.

2.) I'd rather use the pick used on Boyd/Garrapolo (garappolo will go in round 3 , maybe 2) on another position of need.

3.) At this point, there is no clear best QB prospect. In a poll it would probably be split between Bortles/Carr/Manziel/Bridgewater. One of which will be there at #4

We'd be essentially throwing away 2 decent draft picks that could add nice depth or even starters.

If a QB emerges as a clear #1 by May, then I'd be all for it. But at this point, there isn't one.

I'd love to see a recent scouting report pitting Carr in the Top 5, or even the first round.

Carr is a top 4 QB prospect solely purely because of numbers. He's four of six quarterbacks that will get drafted before round 5. That, in no way, puts him in the category of being considered as the best QB prospect.

Shit, you could include Fales in the conversation just as quickly as you could Carr.

Sounds way too far fetched that we have a qb someone wants............

but if on a chance our FO can bamboozle yet another NFL team into a bonus trade for us, then hell yes.

fantasyland would have us with the #1 and #4 pick? the key would be retaining the 4 pick.

real world, you hope they think Hoyer is Brady. But if it would help get us the QB they have targeted???? sure,

Maybe Browns are thinking of packaging him up as part of a deal for the Texans 1st round draft pick?

If there is anything to this, I believe this would be the route we need to take. We'd keep our second 1st round pick.

We might be able to do it for that.....if not, toss in our best of the 3rd rounders.

I don't know man. If they see him as their starter, he could chop a lot more than that. As I said a post ago, I think we could start talking about swapping picks, toss in Hoyer and the best of the 3rd rounders we hold. Even if we had to make it our 2nd rounder rather than the 3rd, and maybe get another 4th/5th rounder out of them....I think it could be a deal.

Weren't you the guy that argued that Campbell wasnt a backup and that Weeden coulda made the Super Bowl with Seattle's defense?

But now Hoyer is so indispensable that we can't get rid of him even if we are bringing in the #1 overall pick in the draft at Qb and Campbell and Weeden are still under contract?

Zombo

No problem bud. Shitcan them all.

But...

giving up half your pics and you're only quality quarterbacks for Johnny football means that you will not have Seattle's defense and that's a fact.

See that was kind of the key having the best defense in the league. The defense that can shut down Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, not the defense that makes Kirk Cousins look like a young Joe Namath.

I think if you take blue chip players with your high pics and roll the dice on a quarterback in two or three he will be fine.

I picked the name Brandon Weeden for my Super Bowl trip scenario because most of you guys hate him. I figure Brian Hoyer or Jason Campbell would have worked a lot better with a great defense. Maybe not even looked much better but remember how many games we lost in the second half because the defense fell on her ass?

WSS

No problem bud. Shitcan them all.

But...

giving up half your pics and you're only quality quarterbacks for Johnny football means that you will not have Seattle's defense and that's a fact.

See that was kind of the key having the best defense in the league. The defense that can shut down Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, not the defense that makes Kirk Cousins look like a young Joe Namath.

I think if you take blue chip players with your high pics and roll the dice on a quarterback in two or three he will be fine.

I picked the name Brandon Weeden for my Super Bowl trip scenario because most of you guys hate him. I figure Brian Hoyer or Jason Campbell would have worked a lot better with a great defense. Maybe not even looked much better but remember how many games we lost in the second half because the defense fell on her ass?

WSS

Why wouldn't we have Seattle's defense? Because we're not drafting them high enough?

We have a higher ADP of our defensive players than they do. Our players were drafted higher than theirs.

Pete Carroll is a better defensive mind than Ray Horton. Ray Horton is not a good defensive coordinator, as I've been saying for a while. The proof is in the pudding. He had a more talented team than Seattle, based on average draft position, but didn't know how to use them.

Either that or Seattle's scouting department is just ridiculously better than 31 other teams. Either way, taking a quarterback at #4 doesn't change either of those facts.

Archived