THE BROWNS BOARD

Favorite Actors or Actresses

Hey Steve, being a movie geru that you are It would be interesting to see who your favorite actors or actresses are of all time. Like a top Ten list but in no particular order. What say you?

larry

curly

moe

shemp

spanky

darla

miss crabtree

stymie

froggie

alfalfa

well to start off with Theater is dominated by men and that's just the way it is. Women as well as comedic actors tend to get short shrift when you're thinking of the greatest of all time but...

I think Meryl Streep is the best ever. Among other women who've done very good work I'd include Barbara Stanwyck Jennifer Lawrence Barbra Streisand Jill Clayburgh Amy Adams Bette Davis Judi Dench Sharon Stone Carol Burnett Elizabeth Taylor and quite possibly some others that I will remember and add to this list.

I place men in categories which often times overlap. First the men who are so cool and so charismatic that whatever role they play becomes them.These include Sean Connery Humphrey Bogart Jimmy Cagney and John Wayne. Then there are the guys that are so good and so talented that they can play almost any role and create a completely new character for each one.

Kenneth Brannagh John Malkovich Joaquin Phoenix Burgess Meredith Kevin Spacey Christian Bale Gary Oldman Marlon Brando. Then there are guys that have a combination of those two categories maybe a little more of one than the other or vice versa drama and in that group I put Robert De Niro Richard Burton Michael Caine Jack Lemmon Sidney Poitier Rod Steiger Robert Mitchum Denzel Washington Brad Pitt Al Pacino Richard Gere Robert Duval and the great Jack Nicholson. Then there are the guys who have a few, a small few, types of roles that they do better than anyone else. I'm talking about Tom Cruise Bruce Willis Sylvester Stallone et cetera. Also we tend to overlook comedy. Comedy, in my opinion is very hard to do but for some reason we don't take the talent involved as seriously as we should. Let's say those guys would include W. C. Fields Woody Allen Dan Aykroyd Gene Wilder Jim Carrey Michael McKean John Candy Steve Martin John Belushi Ben Stiller.

like I said I'm sure others will pop into my head and I will edit this as time goes by...

WSS

Oops sorry guys did I go over 10?

WSS

39 men .... Without mentioning Tom Hanks.

Or classic Everyman actors Fonda and Stewart.

Or hoofers Astaire or Kelly.

Or one of my all time favorites .... Bill Murray..

Z

Leo? Cary?

Chris, sorry, I accidentally deleted your Will Smith post. Sambo like I said this is off the top of my head and I think of others. No doubt Jimmy Stewart belongs there along with Henry, not Peter, Fonda. Personally as an actor I like Gene Kelly better than Astair. Bill Murray for sure.

No disrespect intended but I've never been a huge fan of Tom Hanks Leonardo DiCaprio or Will Smith.

Possibly Mickey Rourke and Kevin Costner and Robert Downey Jr belong on this list?

Others that certainly slipped my mind for my list of favorites are Paul Newman Alec Baldwin Robert Redford and the great Burt Lancaster.

WSS

In fact, you could look at those kinds of movies where they trot out the 'legends' for compiling a list like this. Harry Potter - Maggie Smith, Robbie Coltrane, Alan Rickman, Michael Gambon, Gary Oldman, Emma Thompson, the list goes on. RED is another great one, Morgan Freeman, Meryl Streep, Bruce Willis and the rest.

Chris, sorry, I accidentally deleted your Will Smith post. Sambo like I said this is off the top of my head and I think of others. No doubt Jimmy Stewart belongs there along with Henry, not Peter, Fonda. Personally as an actor I like Gene Kelly better than Astair. Bill Murray for sure.

No disrespect intended but I've never been a huge fan of Tom Hanks Leonardo DiCaprio or Will Smith.

Possibly Mickey Rourke and Kevin Costner and Robert Downey Jr belong on this list?

Others that certainly slipped my mind for my list of favorites are Paul Newman Alec Baldwin Robert Redford and the great Burt Lancaster.

WSS

From being his friend for years and moviegoing buddy here are two actors I know are among his favorites:

Keanu Reeves

Pauly Shore

I guess My faves in no particular order are as follows....

Robert DiNero

Al Pacino

Marlon Brando

Morgan Freeman

Samuel L Jackson

Gary Oldman

Gene Hackman

Kevin Spacey

Gary Sinise

Clint Eeastwood

I have no idea how I could have possibly left Philip Seymour Hoffman of my list of the all-time great actors but he certainly belongs there. He has been so good in so many things I'm ashamed to have let him slip my mind.

WSS

A talent that left us way too soon! RIP as thoughts are with his family! :(

Yes. Thester tends to be a little bit sexist. let's not forget Cate Blanchett either.

WSS

OMG. so in love with her. one of the bests in my time watching film. benjamin button for me was a masterpiece for her.

kevin costner for the baseball movie and 'mr. brooks' which is sooo underated. which brings up mr. william hurts.

btw. forgot all about chubby, prob cuz i see him every time i get up in the morning except he changed his name to denise.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes. Thester tends to be a little bit sexist. let's not forget Cate Blanchett either.

WSS

LOL- Steve- I won't argue with you about Cate Blanchette being a great actress- but me and the wifie have a long running feud about her being cast as Galadriel in Lord of the Rings. IMHO, she's not drop dead gorgeous enough for the part. Though probably too young (mostly) at the time, I would have voted for Charlize Theuron, Nichole Kidman (& certainly Amy Adams) in a perfect world for that part. Cate got it because IMHO she's almost 6' tall, and it involved a lot less camera tricks.

OMG. so in love with her. one of the bests in my time watching film. benjamin button for me was a masterpiece for her.

kevin costner for the baseball movie and 'mr. brooks' which is sooo underated. which brings up mr. william hurts.

btw. forgot all about chubby, prob cuz i see him every time i get up in the morning except he changed his name to denise.

PS Steve- I totally disagree with you about Tom Hanks- he's been shafted out of a bunch of Oscars. He deserved one in spades for "Saving Private Ryan". Seems like the Academy prefers (and I say this without bias) homo movies like Brokenback Mountain and Black Swan.

Archived