THE BROWNS BOARD

"If I were POTUS I would..."

gftChris

OK, just for funsies, how about everyone give this a go.

"Reduce unemployment by..."

"Reduce violent crime by..."

(note it doesn't just say guns)

"Improve the economy by..."

"Do this about climate change..."

(note how I didn't put "reduce MMGW/CC by...)

"Do this with health care..."

"Put more emphasis on funding for..."

"...and less emphasis on funding for..."

"Make gay marriage..."

"Do this about legal and illegal immigration..."

I'm sure there are some other hotbutton topics, but these are the ones that tend to come up most. What would you do? What's your utopia? But of course, there needs to be some semblance of realism. You can't make everything free, remove all taxes and open up all the borders, the country would be fucked, of course. Play GM of the country :)

For you, Chris, the first thing to do is to stonewall your birth certificate as Obama has done since you were not born in the United States either....

:D

WSS

Well, America is essentially a baby of England and there fore by the transitivity of nationality I'm American. Right? Right? Right ;)

"Reduce unemployment by..."

Increase tariffs on countries that give employees very low wages, while increasing tax breaks for companies that have a high % of workforce in US.

(note it doesn't just say guns)

Increasing employment

"Improve the economy by..."

increasing employment

(note how I didn't put "reduce MMGW/CC by...)

Fund alternative fuel research.

"Do this with health care..."

Scrap the majority of Obamacare, while increasing who qualifies for medicare.

"Put more emphasis on funding for..."

Alternative fuel, and energy

"...and less emphasis on funding for..."

Military and wars.

"Make gay marriage..."

Encourage states to make gay marriage legal(or at least civil unions) but not directly take action

"Do this about legal and illegal immigration..."

Decrease the restrictions on legal immigration, increase the fines and penalties for people who knowingly employ illegals.

I'm sure there are some other hotbutton topics, but these are the ones that tend to come up most. What would you do? What's your utopia? But of course, there needs to be some semblance of realism. You can't make everything free, remove all taxes and open up all the borders, the country would be fucked, of course. Play GM of the country :)

"Reduce unemployment by..." Reducing taxes.

(note it doesn't just say guns) Enclosing all high crime areas with electric fences and mines.

"Improve the economy by..." Reducing taxes.

(note how I didn't put "reduce MMGW/CC by...) Laugh and keep on driving my car.

"Do this with health care..." Repeal Obama care.

"Put more emphasis on funding for..."Defense and Space.

"...and less emphasis on funding for..."Welfare and useless social programs.

"Make gay marriage..." A crime.

"Do this about legal and illegal immigration..."Enforce the law. Not sure what you mean about legal immigration.

"Do this about legal and illegal immigration..."Enforce the law. Not sure what you mean about legal immigration.

By legal immigration I mean, if you think it's too easy to get a visa to live/work in the US, or too hard, what would you do about it. Immigration isn't by definition illegal.

It is if you don't follow the required legal steps.

Taking things from a shop is illegal if you don't follow the correct legal steps, ie paying for it. What's your point? That all immigration is bad? Immigrants are scary?

My wife is Japanese, so no that's not what I mean. Try and read carefully. Immigration is legal only if you do it in the format required by the Government. Hiding aboard Ships containers, jumping border fences, etc is not legal. Comprende?

Yes I get what you mean, I was being flippant. Your wife is Japanese, so you most likely have a better than most understanding of legal immigration, so why did you not know what I meant by it?

The current issue for legal immigrations is it costs a lot, both in money and time, which most people looking to immigrate don't have.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2011-10-24/legal-immigration-usa/50895150/1

"Take a man from the Philippines with brother who holds U.S. citizenship. If he wants to immigrate but has no advanced degrees or special skills, the man could have his brother file a petition for an F4 visa, capped at 65,000 a year. The family will have to wait for a number to be assigned to the case before the visa application can be processed.

That wait is currently 23 years. According to the monthly Visa Bulletin published by the U.S. State Department, F4 visa applications filed in the Philippines before Aug. 22, 1988, are now being processed. If the family is from Mexico, the wait time is 15 years; wait times in China and India are now at 11 years.

"You can wait six years, 15 years or 20 years to come on a family visa," said President Tamar Jacoby of ImmigrationWorks USA, a coalition of pro-immigration business groups. "For a young, able-bodied man to look for work, he'd apply when he's 18 and come when he's 40.""

http://www.nfap.com/pdf/0505brief-family-immigration.pdf

So to use your situation as an example, if your wife had a sister or brother wanting to immigrate to the US, it would take them about 10yrs to get approval.

My friend from India said the same thing. He said he got lucky somehow, but that many friends

always talked about immigrating to America.

He said he loved the Indian culture, but the poverty was too much to bear.

All their kids were born here - he laughed one time and said if they ever had to

move back to India, their kids would never adjust, wouldn't make it.....

The question is, why have legal immigration take years.... and this pres and injustice dept try to

force a German family back to Germany where they can't home school their kids....

and yet openly support the free crossing of poverty stricken mexicans by the millions?

The only answer is have is - to change the political demographics of this country towards

a permanently dependent on the gov voting block.

The current issue for legal immigrations is it costs a lot, both in money and time, which most people looking to immigrate don't have.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2011-10-24/legal-immigration-usa/50895150/1

"Take a man from the Philippines with brother who holds U.S. citizenship. If he wants to immigrate but has no advanced degrees or special skills, the man could have his brother file a petition for an F4 visa, capped at 65,000 a year. The family will have to wait for a number to be assigned to the case before the visa application can be processed.

That wait is currently 23 years. According to the monthly Visa Bulletin published by the U.S. State Department, F4 visa applications filed in the Philippines before Aug. 22, 1988, are now being processed. If the family is from Mexico, the wait time is 15 years; wait times in China and India are now at 11 years.

"You can wait six years, 15 years or 20 years to come on a family visa," said President Tamar Jacoby of ImmigrationWorks USA, a coalition of pro-immigration business groups. "For a young, able-bodied man to look for work, he'd apply when he's 18 and come when he's 40.""

http://www.nfap.com/pdf/0505brief-family-immigration.pdf

So to use your situation as an example, if your wife had a sister or brother wanting to immigrate to the US, it would take them about 10yrs to get approval.

A coworker moved here from Pakistan in the late 90s. It has taken almost a decade to get his mother over here. Clean record, the whole bit, just Immigrations makes it a fucking bureaucratic nightmare. However, the same guy gets pretty heated if you mention people jumping the border and getting free access. There has to be immigration reform for people like my coworker who come here and actually offer something more than just being a low skilled manual laborer.

This whole thread is putting a downer on my ideas of moving to the US anytime soon, I didn't realise it was that difficult to get a visa. Not that I'm a minimum wage, manual labour kind, but it just sounds unnecessarily complicated.

This whole thread is putting a downer on my ideas of moving to the US anytime soon, I didn't realise it was that difficult to get a visa. Not that I'm a minimum wage, manual labour kind, but it just sounds unnecessarily complicated.

If you have a degree and meet whatever standards they set for "skilled worker" then it is a lot easier.

"Require that undocumented immigrants pass national security and a criminal background check, pay taxes and a penalty, go to the back of the line and learn English before they can earn citizenship"

This seems sensible, but when you have as large a border area as you do in the usa, you're always going to be vulnerable to illegal immigration. Until border control is toughened, you're going to struggle to keep everybody out.

If you have a degree and meet whatever standards they set for "skilled worker" then it is a lot easier.

Allow me to venture an opinion that those chances are increased not by your degree nor skill set but by the simple fact that you are the type of person who has done what is necessary to achieve that degree and skill set.

WSS

Allow me to venture an opinion that those chances are increased not by your degree nor skill set but by the simple fact that you are the type of person who has done what is necessary to achieve that degree and skill set.

WSS

OK so I'm 28, have a masters degree and have been in my current job a few years - good enough?

OK so I'm 28, have a masters degree and have been in my current job a few years - good enough?

again, yes, I think I was clear. You are the type of guy that does the work and completes the requirements to get a degree. I recall when I went to college the admissions hall walls papered with job opportunities from many different corporations. Most of them said plainly any degree. they basically want someone who has his shit together well enough to begin and complete a program.. That means if I took a Bachelor of Arts in theater sciences to Monsanto or 3M Or Dow chemical they'd be happy to give me an interview. I would assume they are not casting for Henry the fifth.

WSS

I am guessing that would be way too much info for a pamphlet. It is also probably wise to not commit to anything too specific.

There is actually a .pdf file on the page, I don't have time at work to read a 34 page .pdf but skimming through it, it only looks like a 34 page pamphlet. http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/rss_viewer/immigration_blueprint.pdf

Archived