THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini is man in charge, but he's not making friends

DTBH

GOOD GOOD GOOD... Romeo wanted to be everyones best friend... You see where that got us.. No where... I don't want a coach who wants to be everyones best friend or needs to be loved by everyone.

I want a guy who kicks butt and wins! nothing more..nothing less... So he is unliked.. BOO FRICKIN HOO.... go cry me a river.... It's about time someone stepped up and said " this is the line in the sand..it's my line, it's my team, it's my way or get the F outa here" .... GO MANGINI.... Keep tickin people off.

As Bernie said earlier in the week in an interview its alot easier to start off an a-hole and then ease up. Than be a nice guy then try to install some discipline. Look at Coughlin...a perfect example.

Here's Mike Lombardi responding to the article DTBH posted:

The article is horseshit.............................

What coach is going to take a job and then say it sucks. I got to ask, why would he take the job? Maybe the disgruntled peoiple are the ones getting fired? First time the scouts have been in was Thursday. Most of the players aren't in and the new coaches who are evaluating the team personnel were just hired.

Maybe it's that guy who had to turn is boombox off. Or, the personnel guy who was leaking all the info to the press and got fired. Maybe it's the guy who had to paint over the mural?

Sorry, but it doesn't make sense........................................again, horseshit.

Watch the movie "Twelve O'clock High". Then I think you will understand where he is coming from.

Great point. Gregory Peck was hated because he pointed his finger at them and told them to stop feeling sorry for themselves.

Patton also said it..."God da****, I don't want these men to love me. I want them to fight for me"

It's all about leadership and respecting it.

This report is dead-on accurate. I've talked to coaches who have been interviewed by the current Browns regime and there is such a negative feeling already in the building that no one wants to face the season. Some of the new coaches are not excited about working for Mangini. Mangini needed to change as soon as he got the job, but his communication skills and his people skills, which came into question with the Jets, are now in question with the Browns.

Hmmmmm...... let's just substitute "Bill Belichek" for "Mangini" and "Patriots" for "Browns".... now how did that work out?

This will all boil down to results. If Mangini produces significant improvement (winning season, wild card birth) next season, he'll look like a genius and everyone will be on his side. If not, he'll look like an asshole. The rest of the B.S. is just that....B.S.

Mangini is alienating players already. At a recent public function that Mangini and Pro Bowler Shaun Rogers attended, Rogers said he had yet to meet Mangini but hoped to that night. A few minutes later, Mangini walked past Rogers, who’s hard to miss at 360 pounds, without introducing himself.

Okay. I've been thinking about this. Why didn't Rogers stand up and introduce himself to the coach? It's a one way street all of a sudden?

all of this whining and not a single quote or reference of a player complaining.

This is ALL press driven...and started about 2 seconds after we hired them when all the NY media started 'warning' the Cleveland press of the problems.

Then they have the audacity to lay people off. Guess what...there have been layoffs in almost every football organization...and we didn't even do the most.

As for how Lerner handles his salary situation with the coaches he let go...that doesn't affect the cap...so I don't see how that pertains to anything.

The writers are looking at a coach/GM/owner of which NONE are overly talkative...and are realizing they are going to have to WORK for their pay...and they don't like it.

TOO BAD. Same as realtors over the past few years....learn to do your job instead of having it handed to you.

Making crap up...typical of the media during slow time.

Actually, even if some of the stuff IS true, so what?....But here are some Q & A's to & from the media (my version)...

Q...Who is the Brown's current Head Coach?

A...Eric Mangini

result...The above is a FACT!

Q...WHO is/are the coaches/employees so upset with Mangini?

A...(with heads firmly inserted up their butts) HUNH?

result...BULLCRAP!!!...Let's hear NAMES....and FACTS...But then, if you make up "facts" that you can't document, you may have legal problems. It's easier to just make bullcrap up, isn't it?

As I was told years ago, if you can't DOCUMENT it, it didn't happen. Unless something from the media is a quote, I do NOT believe it until it happens. I don't even READ the Canton Repository (Suppository) anymore, & somehow, I don't even miss reading sports articles written by Todd Porter. I think the guy watches sports on TV & then just makes up his own version.

Just my opinion....I can't stand office gossips & I view the media the same way.

Sorry for the rant.

Mike

When we first hired Mangini and we were all posting whether we thought this was a good move or not I said I had my reservations.

We don't know what we have until we see the finished product on the field.

there is several ways to look at this currently...

If Parcells came in here and painted over our mural, some Browns fans would be throwing away their Jim Brown jerseys in response.

Since it's Mangini, he's pissing on our history.

My take.... there are other ways to get your point across. It wasn't necessary, but I see what he's trying to accomplish.

Now I'm big enough to admit the way I feel or my opinion on any particular subject is not always correct or accurate. But guess what... IT DOESN'T FRICKIN MATTER!!!

We're talking about emotional opinions here. I can be completely wrong in my stance on something and personally I don't give a crap. The way I feel is the way I feel. Until the way I feel changes, it is what it is.

Secondly, we all know that perception is reality. The smart fans are waiting to se what happens. We understand that how we feel about mangini's behavior is not the main issue.

We know the media so far is not exactly enjoying the regime. Their good buddy is gone and the new guy isn't providing donuts apparently. Perfect example of human nature.... you're chowing on FREE food before a Cavs game. You're about to get paid to watch arguably the best team in all of the NBA right now and what do you do... find something to bitch about!!! Nice!!

Mangini won't be as nice as Romeo. He's not willing to look at kids while they take their shoes off and run around. Their not kids!!! Their high priced pawns who sold their soul to the Browns for the agreed upon number of years in the contract!!

The problem isn't so much Mangini's approach... it's how it's accepted. Granted, his approach has a lower success rate when it comes to having people name their children after you. But, bring a championship and there'll be girls born in Cleveland named Eric!

The proof is in the product on the field. How the team responds, we have to wait and see.

This is where veteran leadership has to step up inside the locker room. If the BE's of the team are the most vocal I don't think this plays out well for us. Unfortunately, this is where we need a Willie Mcginest!

You can be an a-hole, but there's also being an a-hole while being personable. The team has to understand EM's intentions. If they think he's a douche, the next three years will suck. If they think he's a douche with their best interest in mind, they'll fight for him.

Perception.

We'll see in September.

Or, Mangini is a tough LEADER who is a lot like "Tuna" Parcells and wins.and not much like a jovial nice guy like Crennel... we'll see !

I was thinking the same thing Cal...then I saw your post :).

But really...you should have seen ALL THE SCREAMING when Parcells showed up here at the Dolphins. He DIDN'T win the friendship award. He was criticized how he treated DE Jason Williams (Dancing with the Stars), who was eventually traded to the Redskins. Oh yeah, then the Dolphins won the AFC East. Jason who?

Speculation down here, about Parcells, was that when he shows up he makes a STATEMENT of who is in charge and it's him or the highway NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE.

I'm in agreement with it. Where have we gotten with the "Cuddle Method"?

You can be an a-hole, but there's also being an a-hole while being personable. The team has to understand EM's intentions. If they think he's a douche, the next three years will suck. If they think he's a douche with their best interest in mind, they'll fight for him.

Perception.

We'll see in September.

This is a really good point. Everybody has their own examples that they like to throw out there, but there's more to being a successful coach than yelling at players. The difference between, say, Bobby Knight and Mike Kryzyzewski and guys who take a job bragging about "instilling discipline" and end up getting fired two years later after a player mutiny is the fact that players want to play for Knight and Coach K because they recognize that even if they're getting yelled at, the guy is yelling at them because he cares about making them better. Otherwise he's just a tool with a Napoleon complex and an overinflated ego from working with more talented coaches (which is why "He doesn't have to coddle the players...ever hear of Bill Belichick?" is such lousy logic). Hopefully Mangini doesn't fit that bill.

Dennis

If Parcells came in here and painted over our mural, some Browns fans would be throwing away their Jim Brown jerseys in response.

Since it's Mangini, he's pissing on our history.

Honestly, I didn't even know this mural existed and really don't care. Maybe Mangini plans to reward outstanding players by putting murals of THEM up there. I don't understand the big deal. Painting a wall doesn't change or minimize the history it depicted.

he didnt paint over anything, it was on canvas he took it down and put it at the front of the building, in a more high traffic area where everyone can see it not just players. I dont why people still are talking about this, listen to the press conference he took his time to explain that very clearly

he didnt paint over anything, it was on canvas he took it down and put it at the front of the building, in a more high traffic area where everyone can see it not just players. I dont why people still are talking about this, listen to the press conference he took his time to explain that very clearly

Thank you. Again, much to do about nothing. People don't read the entire article or listen to the whole press conference. He isn't pissing on anything, but some people are just looking for a negative about the guy before he even starts. The whiners and bitchers will be the guys that don't follow the rules and can't understand why they are treated like everyone else instead of like a superstars.

Since quite a few players from the Jets came out and said he was made the scapegoat and should have never been fired and that they liked playing for him, then I think what we are hearing is pure media spin. Writers and talk show people looking for something to write or talk about during this slow season, since there are no leaks coming out of Berea.

Maybe they are pissed because their inside sources got canned.

Guest Aloysius
The article is horseshit.............................

What coach is going to take a job and then say it sucks. I got to ask, why would he take the job? Maybe the disgruntled peoiple are the ones getting fired? First time the scouts have been in was Thursday. Most of the players aren't in and the new coaches who are evaluating the team personnel were just hired.

Maybe it's that guy who had to turn is boombox off. Or, the personnel guy who was leaking all the info to the press and got fired. Maybe it's the guy who had to paint over the mural?

Sorry, but it doesn't make sense........................................again, horseshit.

Okay, thanks for the insight. I'm glad you think that I'm posting horseshit.

For the rest of you, here's what I see when I sift through the horseshit reporting:

1. A report from the OBR that Mangini's been turned down by a couple assistants because of his reputation for not treating underlings well.

2. A report from Mike Lombardi that the coaching candidates he spoke to got a negative vibe during their visit to Berea
This could be nothing. Or maybe it could be the result of one or two people getting a bad feeling, whereas everyone else is having a blast in Berea.

But it does bear mentioning, and it could signal that the communication problems Mangini was said to have in New York are carrying over to his new job in Cleveland.

Okay, thanks for the insight. I'm glad you think that I'm posting horseshit.

For the rest of you, here's what I see when I sift through the horseshit reporting:

1. A report from the OBR that Mangini's been turned down by a couple assistants because of his reputation for not treating underlings well.

2. A report from Mike Lombardi that the coaching candidates he spoke to got a negative vibe during their visit to Berea
This could be nothing. Or maybe it could be the result of one or two people getting a bad feeling, whereas everyone else is having a blast in Berea.

But it does bear mentioning, and it could signal that the communication problems Mangini was said to have in New York are carrying over to his new job in Cleveland.

Aloysius, It's not a personal attack. I just think the article is more speculation then fact based. I have never read anything about any of his coaches saying they didn't like working for him. If he was such a SOB why would some follow him to a new job and others he worked with before rejoin him. I seem to remember reading many articles from players who said they like him as a coach and as a person. I believe you will see players who played for him join the Browns as FA eventually.

Yes, their is always some whiners and complainers and you will find that more with coaches who are considered disciplinarians. I haven't read anywhere where a player said he wasn't fair. I remember how many complaints their were when Coughlin went to NY. He shut the country club down. Same with Belichick. Their will be complaints here because it won't be the country club atmosphere that RAC had. After the first year when players learn that their are rules and they are for everyone, the whinning will stop or the player will be gone. Personally, I say cut the cancer out and get players who want to be here and who want to win.

Most of the grumbling is from the media not players and coaches. The media doesn't have their insiders anymore. They have been sent packing. Mangini won't provide many news stories or rumors. His news conferences aren't exciting, they are like Belichicks, Parcells and coughlin.

Some of the media here will diss him also because he doesn't provide scoop for them.

Personally, I want a winning coach and I don't care if the media feels slighted because he doesn't give them jucy stories to write. Sorry, but Lombardi sounds disgruntled and his story seems over the top.

Guest Aloysius

I didn't take it as a personal attack. It's more about posting one perspective, then having it labeled as "horseshit" by someone who doesn't find it palatable.

If anything, your post was an attack on Lombardi's credibility based on scant evidence. He actually spoke to coaches who were interviewed for assistant coaching jobs. And the OBR has their sources and claims that some coaches who'd worked with Mangini in the past didn't exactly "jump at the opportunity" to join his staff.

So I think it's something worth mentioning.

I didn't take it as a personal attack. It's more about posting one perspective, then having it labeled as "horseshit" by someone who doesn't find it palatable.

If anything, your post was an attack on Lombardi's credibility based on scant evidence. He actually spoke to coaches who were interviewed for assistant coaching jobs. And the OBR has their sources and claims that some coaches who'd worked with Mangini in the past didn't exactly "jump at the opportunity" to join his staff.

So I think it's something worth mentioning.

Why is it worth mentioning? Its a fact of life that not all people get along with all other people. Not every coach is going to come away from an interview all happy. The thing is, that can be said about EVERY coach in the league. Some assistants will like them, some won't. So why is it worth mentioning about Mangini? Why don't we wait to see what the results on the field are before we concentrate on the negative and start thread after thread about the negative? (not implying it is you starting all the threads).

Guest Aloysius

Sure, not everyone's going to like Mangini. The question is whether a lot of people, including talented position coaches, have been turned off by Mangini's personality.

For instance, Raiders LB Coach Don Martindale was said to be interested in joining Rob Ryan in Cleveland, but he ended up joining the Broncos instead. What happened? It's not clear, but it's possible that Mangini scared him away.

As for deferring all discussion of Mangini until the regular season, that's an argument that could be used to quell about 90% of the discussions here: don't talk about the draft before free agency; don't judge the free agent signings until the regular season; don't judge the draft picks until they've been in the league a couple years.

The board is a running commentary of Browns news & opinion. Because of that, I think it's fair to bring in all the reporting on Mangini, whether people here think it's biased or not. But I'd like to know why a guy like Lombardi would be biased against Mangini - it could be, but my impression is that he worked closely with Rob Ryan in Oakland. I don't think that makes him naturally predisposed towards trashing the Browns' coaching staff.

Sure, not everyone's going to like Mangini. The question is whether a lot of people, including talented position coaches, have been turned off by Mangini's personality.

For instance, Raiders LB Coach Don Martindale was said to be interested in joining Rob Ryan in Cleveland, but he ended up joining the Broncos instead. What happened? It's not clear, but it's possible that Mangini scared him away.

As for deferring all discussion of Mangini until the regular season, that's an argument that could be used to quell about 90% of the discussions here: don't talk about the draft before free agency; don't judge the free agent signings until the regular season; don't judge the draft picks until they've been in the league a couple years.

The board is a running commentary of Browns news & opinion. Because of that, I think it's fair to bring in all the reporting on Mangini, whether people here think it's biased or not. But I'd like to know why a guy like Lombardi would be biased against Mangini - it could be, but my impression is that he worked closely with Rob Ryan in Oakland. I don't think that makes him naturally predisposed towards trashing the Browns' coaching staff.

Sure its possible that he was scared off by Mangini. POSSIBLE being the key word. A lot of these media reports are sounding like they have facts, which is a bunch of BS. That is why its not worth mentioning IMO. If this "talented" coach was scared off by Mangini, then maybe he wasn't right for the job. There are other "talented" coaches out there that will be able to get along with him. If Mangini gets the Browns winning, then I couldn't care less about the coaches that were scared off. That's why I will wait until we see what's on the field before buying into the negative, opinion-based, reports.

Now, that is a real stretch. A position coach joined another team and you can assume he was scared away.

Man, that's real thin.

I understand.

Probably more a case of us not being able to pay him enough.

I am sure Mangini has a coaching staff budget he can allocate any way he wants to hiring his assistants...he either couldn't or didn't want to allocate enough for this LB coach.

Guest Aloysius

A little birdie told me that Mangini met with a group of players late last week. That was a smart thing to do.

I'm assuming Shaun Rogers wasn't part of the group (he was in Hawaii for the Pro Bowl); hopefully, Kris Jenkins told Rogers a lot of good things about his new head coach.

Archived