THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini is man in charge, but he's not making friends

DTBH

http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/x110296802...-making-friends

A group of writers were sitting around the other night doing what we do best before a Cavaliers game — eating. While munching and waiting for one of the NBA’s best teams to take the floor, what do you suppose the conversation turned to?

Well, it didn’t turn to as much as it was consumed by ... the Cleveland Browns.

We are such miserable louts and as such take great joy in finding misery. There is no better place to find that than at 76 Lou Groza Blvd. A Browns insider told me the atmosphere at headquarters is, to put it mildly, miserable. New Head Coach Eric Mangini is running the place like Napoleon.

Days after Mangini slobbered about the history and tradition of the team, he had a mural of former Browns greats taken down near the players’ entrance. OK, maybe he wants the team to make new history and quit living in the past, but they had better understand the past.

The Browns are — hands down — the worst operated pro team in Cleveland, and that’s all we could talk about?

We were incredulous at some of the team’s moves, such as owner Randy Lerner handing out close to $30 million in salaries, then purging his staff.

Many of us had friends who worked for the Browns. They were laid off from $50,000-per-year-type of jobs. It’s hard to wrap your head around that when Lerner is paying former Head Coach Romeo Crennel, former GM Phil Savage and former Offensive Coordinator Rob Chudzinski about $28 million not to work for the Browns next year. That’s bad business, and that’s being a bad owner.

If you want to know what kind of flavor new GM George Kokinis has when talking to the media, stick a piece of notebook paper in your mouth and chew on it for a half hour.

I give Mangini and Kokinis no more than three years before Lerner has sold the team. That’s right. Lerner will sell the team before he hires another head coach.

Mangini is alienating players already. At a recent public function that Mangini and Pro Bowler Shaun Rogers attended, Rogers said he had yet to meet Mangini but hoped to that night. A few minutes later, Mangini walked past Rogers, who’s hard to miss at 360 pounds, without introducing himself.

Yeah, I see how things are starting. Mangini will run off the guys who don’t worship at his feet in the locker room, then need more “time” to rebuild the roster, thus keeping Lerner’s endless circle of rebuilding going.

If Lerner, Mangini and Kokinis fail, maybe he’ll do us a favor and sell the Browns to LeBron James.

This thing is starting off even rougher than we expected it. I hope this is a giant exaggeration by the writer. He almost sounds like he has a personal vendetta against Mangini.

Guest Aloysius
Mangini is alienating players already. At a recent public function that Mangini and Pro Bowler Shaun Rogers attended, Rogers said he had yet to meet Mangini but hoped to that night. A few minutes later, Mangini walked past Rogers, who’s hard to miss at 360 pounds, without introducing himself.

One of the few downsides to firing RAC was that he seemed to get more effort out of Shaun Rogers than any other NFL coach Big Baby has played for. I worry about Mangini & Rob Ryan being able to do this same.

If this is true, that may not happen.

All the media guys are crying about this...It is over done..Mangini is not in that slot to make a bunch of new friends ..he is letting his position known and will run a tight ship where "family biz" actually stays in house...Savage and Crennell preached this and wanted this...but did not have the mankok sized sack to pull it off..

Some guys like Steve King got dumped...50-70 k a year salary...not many gigs for writers ...i hear them all crying as they are friends..and made a fellow writer got dumped...with familiar sources...now these cats have to work to get stories..most of the stuff they reported was TMZ type of gossip anyways..who cares about the behind the scenes stuff really?...The product on the field is what matters..and if Mangini kicking everyones ass means this team is pissed off..good maybe they will show some agression on the field for once!...They look like overpaid babys for th emost part...whining..crying and UNDERPERFORMING...if they dont dig the new philosophy then they can all go elsewhere..why?...someone WILL do the job...and do it right for once..

I am not the biggest MANKOK fan.. im not hating on them ...yet...but i am proud they are kicking peoples ass and letting them know how its going to be done.

Poor little writers have no stories..and know they will be few..so Mangini is mean and a bad coach.

Ill wait till sundays to be the judge of that.

One of the few downsides to firing RAC was that he seemed to get more effort out of Shaun Rogers than any other NFL coach Big Baby has played for. I worry about Mangini & Rob Ryan being able to do this same.

If this is true, that may not happen.

ROgers made the pro bowl in a new role (NT) and did a helluva job...he does need motivation..but to me anywasy Ryan SCREAMS motivation...but even more specific..Bryan COx is an intense guy that gets it...he was there only a few years ago...he is the one who will handle Rogers the most and i bet Cox can do a little motivating himself :)

meh - I think there are going to be some players who don't like the new regime just on principle.

I'll withhold judgement on it's effectiveness until August.

I agree. How many bogus statements & incorrect assumptions have we read in the last month or so?

Let's just wait & see.

Mike

Guest Aloysius
ROgers made the pro bowl in a new role (NT) and did a helluva job...he does need motivation..but to me anywasy Ryan SCREAMS motivation...but even more specific..Bryan COx is an intense guy that gets it...he was there only a few years ago...he is the one who will handle Rogers the most and i bet Cox can do a little motivating himself :)

Good point about Cox.

But I'm not sure Ryan is the greatest motivator. As I recall, he had several DT's disappoint during his tenure in Oakland - Warren Sapp showed up too light, Tommy Kelly showed up too heavy, and Terdell Sands has been disappointing since signing his contract extension.

Maybe that has more to do with Oakland's d-line coach...but it doesn't reflect well on Ryan.

All the media guys are crying about this...It is over done..Mangini is not in that slot to make a bunch of new friends ..he is letting his position known and will run a tight ship where "family biz" actually stays in house...Savage and Crennell preached this and wanted this...but did not have the mankok sized sack to pull it off..

Some guys like Steve King got dumped...50-70 k a year salary...not many gigs for writers ...i hear them all crying as they are friends..and made a fellow writer got dumped...with familiar sources...now these cats have to work to get stories..most of the stuff they reported was TMZ type of gossip anyways..who cares about the behind the scenes stuff really?...The product on the field is what matters..and if Mangini kicking everyones ass means this team is pissed off..good maybe they will show some agression on the field for once!...They look like overpaid babys for th emost part...whining..crying and UNDERPERFORMING...if they dont dig the new philosophy then they can all go elsewhere..why?...someone WILL do the job...and do it right for once..

I am not the biggest MANKOK fan.. im not hating on them ...yet...but i am proud they are kicking peoples ass and letting them know how its going to be done.

Poor little writers have no stories..and know they will be few..so Mangini is mean and a bad coach.

Ill wait till sundays to be the judge of that.

i understand what you are saying and i agree, he is their coach, not their friend. but he is setting a bad example by not introducing himself. he needs to let people know that he is in charge and prepared for the job. brett favre didn't get acclimated to the jets last year and we all see how that ended up. mangini needs to let the players know what he stands for.

this article makes this situation look hilarious

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/article.php?id=9392

The brutal snowstorm that battered Cleveland this week? George Kokinis and Eric Mangini have seen it before.

And now that they're at the forefront of the Browns' mission to plow forward, they're confident their chemistry and trust in one another will serve the team well.

"We believe in the same things -- the same core values of players, people and all that it takes to build a championship caliber organization," Kokinis said during his introductory press conference earlier this week. "I think he and I kind of thought about that early in our careers and I've never wavered. And I don't think he's ever wavered."

Kokinis started his NFL career in the Browns' scouting department in 1991 and worked with Mangini in 1994 and 1995 in Cleveland; the two also worked together in Baltimore in 1996. Now they're back in Cleveland as general manager and head coach, respectively, and pledging to work together to make the Browns a consistent winner.

"When you get a chance to work with someone you respect like that, it's an opportunity you just can't pass up," Kokinis said. "Chemistry, being on the same page and knowing he is going to rely on the people that are working with him, that certainly was an attraction."

"(The coach-GM relationship) is critical," Mangini said. "There are going to be so many different things that we're going to agree on, that we're going to disagree on, and at the end of the day, we both understand that the goal is to make the best decision for the Browns.

"That's what it's always going to come down to. And when you understand that the other side has done their work, done their research, has an opinion based on that body of work, the give and take of ideas and the process will be very thorough."

The work has already begun for both. Mangini has used the last couple weeks to familiarize himself with the roster and assemble his coaching staff. Kokinis brings a familiarity with the Browns' roster from his time with the Ravens; now, he'll help decide which players fit best based on what schemes Mangini and his coaching staff choose.

"Having the relationship is important because when disputes come up, you still have the respect for one another in terms of walking away and giving your opinion knowing we're going to do what's best for this football team," Kokinis said. "When you have a personal relationship like that, you know you can do that. In Baltimore, (I would) get locked into a room with some of those coaches and they go after you a little bit, saying ‘we need this and this.'

"At the end of the day when we walked out the door, they knew I was going to try to do the best for the team and they were going to do what was best for the team. I see that's how it's going to happen here."

Mangini said putting together the Browns' roster will be "a collective process. The coaches will evaluate players, George will evaluate players. We'll get the feedback from the coaches, I'll look at it independently. We'll get together, discuss them, and then George and I will make decisions on them."

"What's best for the Cleveland Browns - that's what's important," Kokinis said. "We will be on the same page and do what's best for the Cleveland Browns."

This thing is starting off even rougher than we expected it. I hope this is a giant exaggeration by the writer. He almost sounds like he has a personal vendetta against Mangini.

After four years of Daddy RAC, I'm sure the players and FO personnel don't like the new style.

Mangini is running the place like Napoleon? Good. It's something that is long overdue if what we've heard about the FO and team leadership is true. What was happening wasn't working, and Mangini/Kokinis are cleaning house.

As far as people being laid off, it sucks, but it sounds like these writers are mad that their buddies, or perhaps sources, got axed, and are taking it out by using the media for some payback.

The press is just ticked because a new sheriff is in town.

Neither Mangini or Kokinis is a big talker and out fron like Phil was as was Policy before that....so they take it as the team closing it's doors.

Well, too bad.

I don't care what the press thinks....their opinion on matters means nothing towards wins and losses.

So far i think ManGina is acting like a little asshole...if he doesnt win...he'll be fired too!

and if he wins will you still cheer for the Browns?

To be honest I LOVE that we have someone who rubs the writers and players the wrong way; damnit it is refreshing!

I don't care if Mangini never even says "Hi" to the players. They're not supposed to be friends. He needs to put them in their place and make it known that nobody is safe. Players tend to play harder when they're trying to keep their jobs.

So far i think ManGina is acting like a little asshole...if he doesnt win...he'll be fired too!

Now, how could you say he's acting like an asshole? You have no idea what is going on in the locker room or with him and the players, yet you say he is acting like an asshole.

The media that are reporting this have no idea because they aren't even in the locker room. Maybe they got it from some pampered player who is mad because the Country Club atmosphere is over.

Cribbs just did an interview on the radio with Munch and said things are great. He went into Mangini's office and they talked and he explained some of the plans he had for Cribbs this year. He did say that no more music and jokes. If some think that is being an asshole because he brings some discipline to a team that needs it, then I hope they are the first ones out the door.

Cribbs said he talked to Washington and others from the Jets and they said that you will love this guy. He is a super coach. No pampering and everyone gets treated the same. You break a rule and you pay the piper, that's what rules are for. They apply to everyone.

Underachievers and slackers don't the the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

and if he wins will you still cheer for the Browns?

To be honest I LOVE that we have someone who rubs the writers and players the wrong way; damnit it is refreshing!

I agree....I like some of those old Ditka PC's where he would just answer yes or no and call writers idiots for asking stupid questions.

As to players, who cares if they like him..they just need to play.

A lot of us are getting sick of the media's mankok hate crap especially some of clevelands sports media..grossi and shaw are getting really annoying these 2 whine about mangini constantly but yet kept their lips zipped with savage and romeo even backing them up after the bye week when many fans were screaming bloody murder and calling for crennels head..

The mankok team have inherited a nightmare meanwhile the press is still in love with sewage who left the browns ahhh hmmm"better off" then they have been since expansion..thats not the way i see it...from an all round prospective we have a team full of pussies that get hurt if they bend over to tie their shoes thats not talent....

Can we at least get to the FIRST minicamp before we start stamping premature conclusions on Mangini? We just had a NICE guy as a Head Coach and I didn't see too many guys playing very hard for him.

- Tom F.

GOOD GOOD GOOD... Romeo wanted to be everyones best friend... You see where that got us.. No where... I don't want a coach who wants to be everyones best friend or needs to be loved by everyone.

I want a guy who kicks butt and wins! nothing more..nothing less... So he is unliked.. BOO FRICKIN HOO.... go cry me a river.... It's about time someone stepped up and said " this is the line in the sand..it's my line, it's my team, it's my way or get the F outa here" .... GO MANGINI.... Keep tickin people off.

A lot of us are getting sick of the media's mankok hate crap especially some of clevelands sports media..grossi and shaw are getting really annoying these 2 whine about mangini constantly but yet kept their lips zipped with savage and romeo even backing them up after the bye week when many fans were screaming bloody murder and calling for crennels head..

The mankok team have inherited a nightmare meanwhile the press is still in love with sewage who left the browns ahhh hmmm"better off" then they have been since expansion..thats not the way i see it...from an all round prospective we have a team full of pussies that get hurt if they bend over to tie their shoes thats not talent....

AMEN..................................

I don't care if Mangini never even says "Hi" to the players. They're not supposed to be friends. He needs to put them in their place and make it known that nobody is safe. Players tend to play harder when they're trying to keep their jobs.

Yes and no...you don't want players thinking they can get away with whatever they want, but that doesn't mean you can't acknowledge their existence.

Also, do players play harder when they're paranoid about losing their jobs? Sometimes yes, sometimes no...I don't think the Colts players lived in fear under Dungy. Since he's the exemplar of how well cutting guys works, how did Parcells do with the Jets and Cowboys?

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't; just being "hard core" doesn't make you a good coach in and of itself; being a good coach does.

Dennis

all of this whining and not a single quote or reference of a player complaining.

This is ALL press driven...and started about 2 seconds after we hired them when all the NY media started 'warning' the Cleveland press of the problems.

Then they have the audacity to lay people off. Guess what...there have been layoffs in almost every football organization...and we didn't even do the most.

As for how Lerner handles his salary situation with the coaches he let go...that doesn't affect the cap...so I don't see how that pertains to anything.

The writers are looking at a coach/GM/owner of which NONE are overly talkative...and are realizing they are going to have to WORK for their pay...and they don't like it.

TOO BAD. Same as realtors over the past few years....learn to do your job instead of having it handed to you.

Yes and no...you don't want players thinking they can get away with whatever they want, but that doesn't mean you can't acknowledge their existence.

Also, do players play harder when they're paranoid about losing their jobs? Sometimes yes, sometimes no...I don't think the Colts players lived in fear under Dungy. Since he's the exemplar of how well cutting guys works, how did Parcells do with the Jets and Cowboys?

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't; just being "hard core" doesn't make you a good coach in and of itself; being a good coach does.

Dennis

and was it a player of someone close to the organization that said he didn't acknowledge a player. IMO spin for a reporter trying to find a story during a slow period. If most of the players from the Jets are saying he is a good coach and they like him then I don't think he is the asshole the media is trying to say he is.

I don't hear a single Jets player say they lived in fear. It's BS until a Browns player says something about the situation.

Guest Aloysius

Here's Mike Lombardi responding to the article DTBH posted:

This report is dead-on accurate. I've talked to coaches who have been interviewed by the current Browns regime and there is such a negative feeling already in the building that no one wants to face the season. Some of the new coaches are not excited about working for Mangini. Mangini needed to change as soon as he got the job, but his communication skills and his people skills, which came into question with the Jets, are now in question with the Browns.

Mangini must change his approach and realize the NFL is about getting everyone to work for you, not against you. As the leader of the Browns, he has to be the one who is fair and balanced and able to inspire. He must realize what hurt him in New York and work hard to improve those areas. He is at a critical juncture in his career.

Rob Chudzinski is heading back to the Chargers to be their tight ends coach, a source at the Chargers confirmed to me last week. It must feel like he died and went to heaven. He makes a ton of money and gets a chance to repair his career and keeping learning his craft. Winning cures many and cures careers.

Archived