THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh McDaniels

Browns149

No college coaches, please. This is the NFL, and I'd prefer a coach with NFL experience. The Kelly experiment will go down to the New Orleans Saints tonight.

The Kely experiment is in the postseason.

The Marrone experiment won 6 games.

The Chud experiment won 4 games.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

do you really think Wisenhunt or Caldwell would come here? Those guys can choose where they want to go if they have another good season. The other guys we may be able to get but maybe not.

You asked for names & I provided them. It's not my fault we have a clusterf#*k for a front office that only a has been like McDaniels would be interested in coaching for.

... continued roster turnover during the season with consequent negative impact on the team (remember Bobby Rainey?) ...

Can you find a single post condemming Rainey's release at the time of his release? Ditto for Dimitri Patterson...

Sometimes players just move on and find better situations... coaches they click with... schemes that better fit their talents.

No college coaches, please. This is the NFL, and I'd prefer a coach with NFL experience. The Kelly experiment will go down to the New Orleans Saints tonight.

Nothing wrong with college coaches per se so long as they realize they are dealing with adults rather than young men.

Kelly looks to me like one of the ones that will succeed in the transition.

Can you find a single post condemming Rainey's release at the time of his release? Ditto for Dimitri Patterson...

Sometimes players just move on and find better situations... coaches they click with... schemes that better fit their talents.

Nothing wrong with college coaches per se so long as they realize they are dealing with adults rather than young men.

Kelly looks to me like one of the ones that will succeed in the transition.

Bobby Rainey was cut at a time when there was still a lack of a running game. Dmitri Patterson was cut towards the end of the 2012 season and our cornerback situation was far superior at the time and is even better now. My point is that the constant rotation of players during the season didn't give the coaches time to properly evaluate them.

Josh McDaniels confirms he interviewed with Browns: 'The opportunities are certainly flattering'
By NATE ULRICH Published: January 6, 2014

80318e5b4c625e29450f6a7067004f3f.jpg

New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels confirmed he interviewed with the Browns for their head-coaching vacancy this past weekend.

“We met and that’s about all there is at this point,” McDaniels said today during a conference call with reporters who cover the Patriots. “Nothing, nothing further.”

McDaniels, 37, didn’t want to elaborate on his meeting with the Browns. He cited his desire to focus on the Patriots’ upcoming playoff game Saturday night against the Indianapolis Colts.

“I appreciate the question, and I understand it,” said McDaniels, a Canton native. “I know that’s something that comes up each time this year for other coaches. The opportunities are certainly flattering if they come up. That being said, I am going to try to keep my focus on the Colts and our preparation this week. Like I’ve said in the past, I’m fortunate to have the job I have, and I love being here. I love doing what I’m doing. Each opportunity that comes along is a little different and I’m going to leave it at that and continue to put my effort and attention into the Colts this week.”

NFL rules prohibit teams from offering jobs to assistant coaches in the playoffs until their teams are finished with the postseason. The two sides are not allowed to strike any agreements until then.

McDaniels is one of three candidates known to have interviewed with the Browns since they fired coach Rob Chudzinski Dec. 29 after just one season on the job. Owner Jimmy Haslam and CEO Joe Banner also interviewed Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, 43, and Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles, 50, last week, according to several national reports.

The Browns requested permission to interview Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase, 35. But he told reporters he would postpone all interview opportunities until the Broncos are done with the postseason. They’ll face the San Diego Chargers on Sunday.

Vanderbilt University’s James Franklin, 41, and Auburn University’s Gus Malzahn, 48, are on the Browns’ radar, Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reported. Franklin is finished with his season. He led Vanderbilt to a 41-24 win over the University of Houston on Saturday in the BBVA Compass Bowl. Malzahn and Southeastern Conference champion Auburn will face Florida State in the BCS Championship Game tonight.

A league source, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the situation, confirmed today that the Browns won’t interview longtime University of Oklahoma coach and Youngstown native Bob Stoops for their head-coaching vacancy.

This past weekend, NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport labeled Stoops a leading candidate for the job and stated he was expected to interview with the Browns this week. On Thursday, former NFL personnel man Tony Softli wrote on Twitter that Stoops, “may have the inside track on the Cleveland Browns opening.”

Stoops, 53, didn’t silence the rumors last week after he led Oklahoma to a 45-31 victory over Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. Asked by Sooners reporters about the rumblings he could become the next coach of the Browns, Stoops said, “You never know.”

Stoops, 53, didn’t silence the rumors last week after he led Oklahoma to a 45-31 victory over Alabama in the Sugar Bowl. Asked by Sooners reporters about the rumblings he could become the next coach of the Browns, Stoops said, “You never know.”

Word last nite in ESPN bottom line was that Browns will not be interviewing Stoops.

You asked for names & I provided them. It's not my fault we have a clusterf#*k for a front office that only a has been like McDaniels would be interested in coaching for.

A "has been"?? Are you serious? It's fine for not liking him as a HC candidate but to say he's a has been is just being stupid. The guy flamed out in Denver but not without some success as well. The Bill Bellichek experience and parallels alone keep him from being a "has been". He will get a head coaching job again somewhere. Maybe in Cleveland or maybe not but he will be a HC again before his coaching career is over.

Chud was the first coach I liked since...well,,,eh.....Sam Rutigliano, I think.

You weren't a Marty fan?

Blech. I can't even participate in a conversation that starts with, "If the Browns hire the guy I don't like, I'll quit following them because I know so much better than they do."

Not even sure where that conversation goes.

Something we can agree on... ;)

You weren't a Marty fan?

Not so much, his prevent defense late in a game, as in way too early in the game...

lives on in disgrace, imho. And his "the gleam" mantra was goofy.

For those complaining about possibly getting McDaniels, please say who you think would be better that we could actually get to come here. I posted this a few pages back and as far I've noticed, I haven't seen a response yet. Who do you want? Stop complaining and post who you would want to come here.

I would take Malzahn or Franklin over McDaniels. My reasons are numerous but if you really want to hear them I'll oblige.

If it's not McDaniels, then this shows that the FO had no plan, other than "firing Chud and seeing what happens". I for one, don't believe this is the case, and I believe McDaniels is our next HC, and has been for several weeks.

If that doesn't happen, I will probably lose the remaining faith in the FO that I'm holding onto.

The pending litigation against and real possibility of Haslam losing Browns ownership makes for one helluva hard sale in bringing in decent coaching talent. I suspect Browns will again have to settle for another bottom feeder. So it goes.

If it's not McDaniels, then this shows that the FO had no plan, other than "firing Chud and seeing what happens". I for one, don't believe this is the case, and I believe McDaniels is our next HC, and has been for several weeks.

If that doesn't happen, I will probably lose the remaining faith in the FO that I'm holding onto.

Exactly! We need to hear that this FO went after and got the man they wanted. Not the second one, third or fourth their número uno first choice.

If word gets out that MickyD was there choice and he said "no thanks", then I will be concerned about Banner and Lombardi, not so much Haslam. And for what it's with, Flying/PilotJ are completely separate from the Browns. Even if Haslam is indicted and actually sees prison time, the team can go to someone in the Family. His legal woes are the least of my worries right now.

...I believe McDaniels is our next HC, and has been for several weeks.

That is what the league office would call tampering and would cost us at least a first round pick.

That is what the league office would call tampering and would cost us at least a first round pick.

Naive, party of one, your table is ready

New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels confirmed he interviewed with the Browns for their head-coaching vacancy this past weekend.

“We met and that’s about all there is at this point,” McDaniels said today during a conference call with reporters who cover the Patriots. “Nothing, nothing further.”

McDaniels, 37, didn’t want to elaborate on his meeting with the Browns.

I was offered multiple blow jobs by Lobotomy, and the promise I wound never, ever get fired & $10 million a year regardless of how much I fuck up to drive this train wreck of a franchise further off the cliff.

I would take Malzahn or Franklin over McDaniels. My reasons are numerous but if you really want to hear them I'll oblige.

No thanks to Malzahn. He's going to get an enormous raise from Auburn, and after watching him try to gas Florida State's defense into submission, I have serious doubts it will work in the NFL. It's Chip Kelly cubed.

The pending litigation against and real possibility of Haslam losing Browns ownership makes for one helluva hard sale in bringing in decent coaching talent. I suspect Browns will again have to settle for another bottom feeder. So it goes.

There is nothing that is going to force Haslam to lose the Browns. At worse his old man or his kid takes over as the "titular" owner of the team.

FYI, I do not believe the NFL has a rule that says that a convicted felon cannot be the owner of an NFL team. But I will check.

There is nothing that is going to force Haslam to lose the Browns. At worse his old man or his kid takes over as the "titular" owner of the team.

FYI, I do not believe the NFL has a rule that says that a convicted felon cannot be the owner of an NFL team. But I will check.

Didn't the league force DeBartalo to sell the Niners to his sister, after some legal troubles in Louisiana?

Didn't the league force DeBartalo to sell the Niners to his sister, after some legal troubles in Louisiana?

Actually I think it was his sister that forced him to sell the team to her because of that, not the league. While Eddie Money was suspended, I don't think he was required to divest himself of the team. There may have been some hinky financial dealings with the team that caused the sister to wrest control away from him....but that was basically an internal family situation.

Here is a link to various articles about that.

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/d/edward_j_debartolo_jr/

Now, the NFL can and has directed that an owner divest himself of ownership if his actions are affecting the financial stability of the organization.....can you say Art Modell, and Victor Kiam (and the guy from Philly who was losing millions gambling...Leonard Tose I believe)

But, just having a criminal record...which does not affect team finances? Suspension, yes, probable. Outright divestiture, no.

And even if the NFL did require outright divestiture that doesn't mean things couldn't be turned over to another family member, like DeBartolo to York. Jimma could "give" the team to his dad, son, brother.

The other situation where the NFL has stepped in is where a family has interests in gambling venues. The Steelers were actually owned by like 5 Rooney brothers, and those brothers had ownership interest to race tracks in Tampa....and the NFL demanded that they either divest themselves of the racetrack...or the Steelers. Dan Rooney stepped in basically and bought out his brothers who decided to keep their racetrack. Hell, that is how Haslam became a minority owner of the Steelers. Some of his money was used to pay off the Rooney brothers who were leaving.

One final thought about The Three Stooge's coaching search- Any reports of anyone else trying to interview McDaniels? All you need to know in my book.

On the level of Walrus bringing in his pals relative to waste two seasons in Cleveland.

Jimmy said it in the exit presser, because the question was asked. Why should we trust you to make the right decisions? Frankly, I don't anymore.

OK, but just like the search for the coach....who would you bring in to run the football operations (i.e. to replace Banner), and to be the GM/Personnel guy (to replace Lombardi)

Unfortunately Moe Howard and Larry Fine are dead, but they probably couldn't do much worse.

I was offered multiple blow jobs by Lobotomy, and the promise I wound never, ever get fired & $10 million a year regardless of how much I fuck up to drive this train wreck of a franchise further off the cliff.

No thanks to Malzahn. He's going to get an enormous raise from Auburn, and after watching him try to gas Florida State's defense into submission, I have serious doubts it will work in the NFL. It's Chip Kelly cubed.

And Chip Kelly made it to the playoffs in his first year with a second year QB.

Meanwhile, we won 4 games with two QB's that have 15 years experience combined.

Archived