THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh McDaniels

Browns149

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mcdaniels has failed miserably away from NE. He like all the other failed coordinators of bellyache have done nothing and will continue to do nothing. Dont want the guy.His resume is as padded as a middle-schooler's bra.

Of course he benefitted from being in New England. It wouldn't matter if Tom Brady or Tom Tupa was the quarterback, the Patriots offensive system is a well-oiled machine. In the three years McDaniels took off to find his coaching identity in Denver (and then St. Louis), the New England Patriots offense finished 3rd, 8th, and 2nd in the league, respectively. In the five seasons he's been an offensive coordinator in New England, the Patriots have averaged 29.8 points per game whereas in the three seasons he was gone, the Patriots averaged 30.4 points per game. The first back-to-back-to-back Pro Bowl seasons of Tom Brady's career began the season McDaniels left New England.

McDaniels wasn't and still isn't necessarily needed in New England for that team to be successful. He is simply riding the coattails of an elite coach, an elite quarterback and an elite front office. Take a look at what McDaniels did when he was away from The Hoodie.

In McDaniels' two years in Denver, the Broncos offense never finished above 13th in the league. The Broncos offense was held to under 14 points on four separate occasions in McDaniels' first year as head coach. McDaniels' team scored, on average, 21 points per game over two seasons, a far cry from the 34.8 and 36.8 PPG seasons he was experiencing in New England. He was unable to coexist with arguably the only two weapons the Denver Broncos had at the time, Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler and Pro Bowl wide receiver Brandon Marshall. In his one year stint in St. Louis, where McDaniels was an offensive coordinator after being dismissed from the Broncos, his offense finished 31st in the league. His offense proved to be completely inept at finding the endzone, being shut out twice and posting an NFL-high twelve games in which they were unable to score more than 14 points. That season, the St. Louis offense finished as the worst scoring offense in the NFL, only averaging 12.1 points per game.

Then McDaniels goes back to New England and, in the matter of one season, goes from coordinating the NFL's worst scoring offense to the the NFL's best scoring offense.

I think the writing is on the wall... We interview the best DC in the game Thursday... why not? We interview the black guy Friday (not being racist)... to satisfy the Rooney rule. We interview our next HC Saturday... Josh McDaniels... If he turns us down, then it's off to interview all the college guys...

according to that guy on 92 yesterday..fuck I can't remember his name...McDaniels has been onboard since last year but for some reason couldn't leave. So they did hire Chud as the stopgap. I don't know how I feel about that. Why even fire Shurmur then? Why not let that 4-3 defense we were running go into it's 3rd year? Why all this bullshit if you it was THIS year you were gonna turn it over? If this shit is true....that they let us pick up guys in FA that may not fit this years turnover....wow, uncle sam just needs to take the Browns away from ole Jimmeh. We need a deal like GB has.

Browns wanted McDaniels last year after the less realistic star fucking. Banner and Lombardi love him and he made a ton of sense. There are some nice stats on guys getting their second chance as a head coach with a little space in between. So much to learn and then some time to process it... and who better to process with than Belicheck, the prime example of a Second Chancer?

Anything is possible, but truly arrogant people never really learn because they can never admit that some part of them contributed to their failure.

One other issue, and I've seen it here before, that Bill is somehow a 2nd chancer, which implies that somehow he screwed up his CLE gig the first time around. While he had plenty of bumps in the road with fans and press, he was 11-5 in '94 and started '95 3-1 with a team picked by most to go to the SB. In October the move rumors started the slide and the announcement doomed the season in November.

Absent "the move":

• he'd likely still be our HC today;
  • we'd be arguing about how bad McD leaving us again would hurt us;
  • we'd be bitching that we haven't won a SB in a whole decade...

If it makes anybody feel better, Robert Mays at Grantland named Josh McDaniels as the best Coordinator of the year.

Nope... not one bit better. League history is littered with great Coord's who failed miserably one or more times as a HC.

Nice write up... One request: Left justify please...

Couple thoughts occurred as I was reading.

• McD's 6-0 start at Denver showed he had something on the ball, but the subsequent loss-fest showed the league caught onto him quickly and he never regained an edge; and
  • the one thing Bill B is famous for is identifying an opponent's strength and neutralizing it.

Would seem that if Bill tells McD what to exploit, he can do it, but could not figure out what to attack on his own. Has he since learned this?

I sure as hell cannot criticize McD for not thinking Cutler is "the guy" since I have never thought he was. IMO Jay is a QB mirage...

according to that guy on 92 yesterday..fuck I can't remember his name...McDaniels has been onboard since last year but for some reason couldn't leave. So they did hire Chud as the stopgap. I don't know how I feel about that. Why even fire Shurmur then? Why not let that 4-3 defense we were running go into it's 3rd year? Why all this bullshit if you it was THIS year you were gonna turn it over? If this shit is true....that they let us pick up guys in FA that may not fit this years turnover....wow, uncle sam just needs to take the Browns away from ole Jimmeh. We need a deal like GB has.

Because if we kept shurmur another year everybody including you would have said the FO is inept and terrible and shurmur sucks too.

I think if the team didn't collapse after the bye chud is still here. Coaching was a negative factor in some of our losses, believe it or not.

When can we START hiring the Belichick clones? The coaches that win 3 SBs, appear in a few more, have a decade of double digit wins? Stays ahead of the game wih defensive tactics...etc. etc. Hmm?

clearly bill is not passing that information on to his assistant coaches.

if the browns hire McD hopefully he brings all that secret video footage that the pats have on every team.

Because if we kept shurmur another year everybody including you would have said the FO is inept and terrible and shurmur sucks too.

I think if the team didn't collapse after the bye chud is still here. Coaching was a negative factor in some of our losses, believe it or not.

No I wouldn't have. I can say that because I was on record somewhere else saying that the Shurmur firing was perhaps premature. I liked some of things happening on Defense but there were alot of coaching gaffs that obviously i didn't. I can honestly say Shurmur deserved a 3rd year and I said it back then. But what I also said is that if we're gonna get rid of a coach after 2 years, AGAIN, that the next guy has to be the guy. Well we obviously now know that the FO never thought Chud was the guy so I'm still fairly comfortable saying that we should have stayed with Shurmur till we found the guy. This time around I will not say something like "ok this had better be the guy now".....because I know that's a useless sentiment at this point. If it's McDaniels....how could anyone bet money that there isn't a decent possibility he's gone midway through the next season and one of the coordinators is named interim..?? You can't make that bet with this organization anymore. I want more than anything for one of those assholes to say "OK, now this has to be it...whoever the guy is we have to hand him the keys for a couple years and back away". But they won't do that, we all know that now. This FO does not appear to be willing to build something.....they want to give boss Jimmeh some short term returns which make the Browns a middle of the road team and that's just gonna have to be good enough for the Cleveland fan base. They see teams making one "maybe" two playoff runs, being relevant for a short period of time and getting some nice returns out to their owner. After the run is over fire sale the team to save the owner cash, rinse repeat. Only the teams with owners willing to play the long ball are in the playoffs perennialy.

I'm sick of Browns fans... Some of you guys already hate whoever our next coach is, and will bitch about him until the day he's fired, and then bitch that he was fired, and then hate the next coach... it's pure insanity. You already hate the new owner, the guy he hired as CEO, and the guy he hired as GM...

Give it a rest...

Here's a thought... How about if McDaniels gets hired and becomes the next best HC in the NFL and everybody in the league is talking about how great of a decision that was b/c he appears to be humbled by his time in Denver and seems to have brought a lot of poise and confidence to a rattled franchise as they prepare for their home playoff game... Nope, would never happen, right????

We should hire........... who? All you guys bitching about McDaniels, who do you want??

I'm sick of Browns fans... Some of you guys already hate whoever our next coach is, and will bitch about him until the day he's fired, and then bitch that he was fired, and then hate the next coach... it's pure insanity. You already hate the new owner, the guy he hired as CEO, and the guy he hired as GM...

Give it a rest...

Here's a thought... How about if McDaniels gets hired and becomes the next best HC in the NFL and everybody in the league is talking about how great of a decision that was b/c he appears to be humbled by his time in Denver and seems to have brought a lot of poise and confidence to a rattled franchise as they prepare for their home playoff game... Nope, would never happen, right????

We should hire........... who? All you guys bitching about McDaniels, who do you want??

Starting off your post on a Browns board you lead with " I'm sick of Browns fans" I am sure there are a few that might be sick of you too. The fact some of us think it sucks they fired Chud , or beyond that they simply went against their stance on maintaining continuity through the rebuilding stages, doesn't make us chronic bitches. The thousands of dollars I have spent on the Browns gives me the right to bitch anyway whether you like it or not.

Regarding the new owner sure I am disappointed in him some, he is a criminal that may not even own the team long term. Banner is a bean counter that will fuck a guy in a heartbeat and Lombardi is Lombardi. If Jimmy were so committed to winning and refused to accept mediocrity he would have fired Banner and Lombardi after the season as well.

Regarding McDaniels please by all means build us the case that makes him an attractive head coach candidate. He failed miserably in Denver as a head coach, he failed miserably as an OC in St Louis and only at home with Papa Belichick has he done well. That stands true for most of the spawn of the Belichick tree.

Lastly please elaborate why we shouldn't be hating. What have you seen that brings your love for the current FO and its decisions

Starting off your post on a Browns board you lead with " I'm sick of Browns fans" I am sure there are a few that might be sick of you too. The fact some of us think it sucks they fired Chud , or beyond that they simply went against their stance on maintaining continuity through the rebuilding stages, doesn't make us chronic bitches. The thousands of dollars I have spent on the Browns gives me the right to bitch anyway whether you like it or not.

Regarding the new owner sure I am disappointed in him some, he is a criminal that may not even own the team long term. Banner is a bean counter that will fuck a guy in a heartbeat and Lombardi is Lombardi. If Jimmy were so committed to winning and refused to accept mediocrity he would have fired Banner and Lombardi after the season as well.

Regarding McDaniels please by all means build us the case that makes him an attractive head coach candidate. He failed miserably in Denver as a head coach, he failed miserably as an OC in St Louis and only at home with Papa Belichick has he done well. That stands true for most of the spawn of the Belichick tree.

Lastly please elaborate why we shouldn't be hating. What have you seen that brings your love for the current FO and its decisions

Your "thousands of dollars" comment is pointless. If you hate the FO so much, quit giving them your money.

Never said anything about love for the current FO, just some faith and hope. And if u want, I'll make a case for McDaniels... Who can u make a case for?

Blatant hate does nothing but continue to spawn negativity. Maybe trusting our guys and giving them a vote of confidence, around the stadium and in the media, might be a start of something different. Sure, Browns fans are the most passionate in the league, but make a mistake and that passion will be directed at getting your ass fired. Whether your a coach, player, or other... I'm guilty of it too at times, but we need to put ourselves in check sometimes and start rooting for the guys in the positions that can get this thing going... It's easy to assume the worst about everybody that comes here, how about growing a pair and start assuming the best might happen... that takes guts as a fan... I'll quit ranting, just my 2 cents, or "thousands of dollars" worth of thought...

There certainly does seem to be a certain type of Browns fan that will complain, almost just to hear themselves complain. Like Randy Quaid's character in Major League. I hate where the Browns are in terms of wins, no doubt about it, but even with that being said I feel better right now then I did the last few years Lerner owned the team.

Hopefully ownership and management will get this right. One thing for sure is they aren't afraid to do what they feel they need to do to make the Browns a winner, and they don't give a Flying J what anyone else thinks.

Your "thousands of dollars" comment is pointless. If you hate the FO so much, quit giving them your money.

Never said anything about love for the current FO, just some faith and hope. And if u want, I'll make a case for McDaniels... Who can u make a case for?

Blatant hate does nothing but continue to spawn negativity. Maybe trusting our guys and giving them a vote of confidence, around the stadium and in the media, might be a start of something different. Sure, Browns fans are the most passionate in the league, but make a mistake and that passion will be directed at getting your ass fired. Whether your a coach, player, or other... I'm guilty of it too at times, but we need to put ourselves in check sometimes and start rooting for the guys in the positions that can get this thing going... It's easy to assume the worst about everybody that comes here, how about growing a pair and start assuming the best might happen... that takes guts as a fan... I'll quit ranting, just my 2 cents, or "thousands of dollars" worth of thought...

Sorry dude, I've been optimistic and trusting in the Browns since their return, and have been rewarded with nothing but a single first-round exit. Banner has already exhibited his ability to scare off top coaching talent last year, seeing as Chud was his fifth choice (sixth if you count Saban). Now, because they've fired Chud after one year, they've made the Browns the indisputable worst franchise in the league, and it's somehow a worse place to coach. It's insane to me that we have 6 total Pro Bowlers/All-Pros yet we still have difficulty finding a coach. Since 1999, we've never been more set up for failure. Banner is a metastasizing cancer, and until he is gone, this franchise is going to be the laughingstock of the league.

"but we need to put ourselves in check sometimes and start rooting for the guys in the positions that can get this thing going..."

Once the FO starts doing this then I'll follow suit.

Give it a rest...

There's been a lot of Ifs over the years, how many worked out?

Forgive the Browns fans skepticism as it's well justified.

Great. a non-Browns fan comes in here to bitch about us bitching, like

that's all we need.

How many coaches does it take til they know that a coach with not enough

talent to win, won't win?

Chud was the first coach I liked since...well,,,eh.....Sam Rutigliano, I think.

The drafting, so many times for years, was a joke. But the head coaches just kept

getting gone.

The Browns don't need McDaniels, although the 3 potato heads in the fo

would like him, because they could tell him to screw with any expensive

player, for example, and he'd do it.

McDaniels once was so arrogant, he messed with Tom Brady, and

the two of them didn't talk for three weeks.

Butticheck grew up, whereas McDaniels hasn't. And he's a local boy

around this part of Ohio.

Nah. McDaniels has had trouble with players at Denver, and now

the Pats.... and.... nah.

For those complaining about possibly getting McDaniels, please say who you think would be better that we could actually get to come here. I posted this a few pages back and as far I've noticed, I haven't seen a response yet. Who do you want? Stop complaining and post who you would want to come here.

The only good thing about a McDaniels hire is that it will accelerate an implosion of this front office.You can book the following: Gordon traded, Ward released, mishandled draft, BS free agent signings, continued roster turnover during the season with consequent negative impact on the team (remember Bobby Rainey?) McDaniels will be totally in sync with their decisions so they won't have anyone to scapegoat and Jimmy will kick 'em all out.

Next stop will be a forced sale by NFL to remove the negative publicity of the Crook Owner/PFJ rebate scam. This regime makes Lerner's look competent.

I care about the Browns so much, I'm going to root against them if we pick up McDaniels. This is the only way that we can get rid of the cancer that is Banner and Lombardi.

Sounds like some Browns fans of yore who rooted for the team to lose so they could rid themselves of Bill Belichick.

WSS

For those complaining about possibly getting McDaniels, please say who you think would be better that we could actually get to come here. I posted this a few pages back and as far I've noticed, I haven't seen a response yet. Who do you want? Stop complaining and post who you would want to come here.

Caldwell, Zimmer, Bowles,Wisenhunt to name a few and maybe the Auburn Coach.

Caldwell, Zimmer, Bowles,Wisenhunt to name a few and maybe the Auburn Coach.

do you really think Wisenhunt or Caldwell would come here? Those guys can choose where they want to go if they have another good season. The other guys we may be able to get but maybe not.

Archived