THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh McDaniels

Browns149

This reminds me a bit of when the Browns had to 'settle' for taking Chris Palmer. They had wanted Billick perhaps, and were really sold on Butch Davis.....but Davis was tied up and couldn't get loose....but 2 years later when he was available Carmen Policy cut Palmer loose and went heavy after Davis.

Perhaps the same thing here......LomBanner really really wanted McD....but he did not make himself available....but now that he apparently may be available, they are going to cream their jeans over him and unceremoniously dump the guy they didn't want in the first place.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the plan could be McDaniels comes here...grabs his guy Manziel, and has Hoyer who also knows the NE offense...

Also, a few mentioned McDaniels should bring Mallett with him. Not likely but interesting to say the least. But it also doesn't make sense if Manziel is more what he'll be after in a QB.

I could see McDaniels being the HC hire.

He hires Mike Sullivan (formerly with TB) as the OC (they run the same O)

He retains Ray Horton and many of the D coaches (some continuity there, plus I like Ray and the players like him)

McDaniels and Sullivan run the "Erhardt-Perkins" offense, which is the same offense Bellichick runs...

Horton runs a 3-4 style of defense similar to the "Fairbanks-Bullough" scheme Bellichick has always ran...

I think it would be a good fit, and would make Lombardi happy that we are employing his buddy Bellichick's systems in Cleveland...

We have the pieces to make it work, including Hoyer who knows the offense and could tutor our newely drafted QB, but we may just be missing 2 smart, solid route-running WRs... Maybe McDaniels could convince Edelman to come to Cleveland as a FA to help get this offense moving... and maybe Sullivan could convince Tiquan Underwood to come over in FA. Both of those guys know the system and could both play well in the slot... Add in Gordon, Benjamin, and a high-ranked draft pick and that's 5 WRs all capable of making explosive plays in this style of offense...

It just makes too much sense for it to happen...

get over it guys, McDaniels isn't coming here. He's got next in NE when Belichick retires. If him and Belichick weren't on good terms that would be one thing....but McDaniels already had his HC flirtation and it didn't work out, now he's home in NE and they've told him explicitly that he's Belichicks replacement when the old man retires. Bill wants one more SB run and he's out. He's got 3 years tops in the tank, and if Brady leaves/retires less than that. But McDaniels is going to give up a spot in that franchise to come here? Sure... :rolleyes:

One problem I see with McDaniels is that he's had Brady to work with. It makes it hard to evaluate how much of the success is attributable to Brady vs the coaching staff. I mean the coaches can basically say "Tom, go win the game" and he does. I haven't seen a lot of innovation and outsmarting by the New England staff at all this year. Without Brady (and some help from the refs), my sense is the Patriots are below .500 this year.

get over it guys, McDaniels isn't coming here. He's got next in NE when Belichick retires. If him and Belichick weren't on good terms that would be one thing....but McDaniels already had his HC flirtation and it didn't work out, now he's home in NE and they've told him explicitly that he's Belichicks replacement when the old man retires. Bill wants one more SB run and he's out. He's got 3 years tops in the tank, and if Brady leaves/retires less than that. But McDaniels is going to give up a spot in that franchise to come here? Sure... :rolleyes:

I think you're right about this one.

The part I put in bold...Is this fact? If there is a positive reliable source that this comes from, then yes I can see he stays. But then why even bother giving permission to interview?

Maybe McDaniels has big enough balls to want to do it on his own, rather than be in the company of legacy-inherited coaches like Tomlin. Maybe he sees that when Brady is gone that it won't be that favorable. Who knows, we're all speculating.

And just to clear the air, I'm not saying I'm rooting for McDaniels to land the job, but at this time I think he's most likely.

The part I put in bold...Is this fact? If there is a positive reliable source that this comes from, then yes I can see he stays. But then why even bother giving permission to interview?

Maybe McDaniels has big enough balls to want to do it on his own, rather than be in the company of legacy-inherited coaches like Tomlin. Maybe he sees that when Brady is gone that it won't be that favorable. Who knows, we're all speculating.

And just to clear the air, I'm not saying I'm rooting for McDaniels to land the job, but at this time I think he's most likely.

They just interviewed some guy on 92 a few days ago who is either with ESPN or some major sports outlet that said it's out in the open that the Patriots have told McDaniels he's Belichicks replacement when the old man decides it's time. They're apparently actively grooming him as such. Of course they're going to do that because a franchise like NE looks ahead a few years, I would probably take their word for it if I was him but who knows....it certainly doesn't keep him from exploring other options does it? NE is not contractually obligated to make him the coach despite what they say, nor can they legally keep him from interviewing other positions just because they told him he's next. I dunno...if the rumors about him loving Manziel are true and he wants to be with the team that lands him...than who knows. I'm not sure we land Manziel anyway so what happens then? I think we would have been more than fine to let Chud coach through with this draft coming up. If we have to revamp the defense it's another 5-11 year if we're lucky.

If it makes anybody feel better, Robert Mays at Grantland named Josh McDaniels as the best Coordinator of the year.

"We saw 17 weeks of NFL football, and I still have no idea how the Patriots won 12 games. Apparently, it’s because New England somehow has the fourth-best offense in football. I need an explanation of how that’s possible. Having Tom Brady helps, but I still don't understand how McDaniels took this group and made it a viable NFL offense. Through 15 weeks, no quarterback had targeted rookies or players shorter than 6-feet more than Tom Brady, according to ESPN Stats & Information. If the Bears’ receiving corps looks like an NBA team, the Patriots look like a middle school team.

The Pats have survived the same way they always do — with the ability to make first downs out of nothing. New England is always using motion and other tricks to turn those short throws to Danny Amendola and Julian Edelman into extensions of their running game, and even now, it’s still working. Oh, and we haven’t mentioned that McDaniels also lost maybe the best right tackle in football in November."

link: http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/87444/the-nfl-awards-they-should-give

I could see McDaniels being the HC hire.

He hires Mike Sullivan (formerly with TB) as the OC (they run the same O)

He retains Ray Horton and many of the D coaches (some continuity there, plus I like Ray and the players like him)

McDaniels and Sullivan run the "Erhardt-Perkins" offense, which is the same offense Bellichick runs...

Horton runs a 3-4 style of defense similar to the "Fairbanks-Bullough" scheme Bellichick has always ran...

I think it would be a good fit, and would make Lombardi happy that we are employing his buddy Bellichick's systems in Cleveland...

We have the pieces to make it work, including Hoyer who knows the offense and could tutor our newely drafted QB, but we may just be missing 2 smart, solid route-running WRs... Maybe McDaniels could convince Edelman to come to Cleveland as a FA to help get this offense moving... and maybe Sullivan could convince Tiquan Underwood to come over in FA. Both of those guys know the system and could both play well in the slot... Add in Gordon, Benjamin, and a high-ranked draft pick and that's 5 WRs all capable of making explosive plays in this style of offense...

It just makes too much sense for it to happen...

Actually, they got a guy on this roster that could easily play the Edelman role....perhaps even the Welker role: Josh Cooper.

If he had a Tom Brady throwing to him I think he could be that kind of guy.

Yes. Sure. He will. Why? Because he will know that it will be no fun to "follow a legend". Especially without Tom Brady at QB.

He should want to make his own legend, here, in his home town. Not up with the spoiled Chowderheads who would not probably appreciate him there. They would expect him to follow the BB/Brady mold and be 12-4 every year and be in contention for the SB every year. He can't do that without a Tom Brady....and the Pats ain't likely to get on.

In my life I have only ever seen one HOF caliber QB replace another.....that was San Fran with Montana/Young. It won't happen there....but he could have it happen here. Yes.

Actually, they got a guy on this roster that could easily play the Edelman role....perhaps even the Welker role: Josh Cooper.

If he had a Tom Brady throwing to him I think he could be that kind of guy.

I fail to see any resembelance, other than skin color. Edelman and Welker are both very speedy and were KRs in the early parts of their career. Cooper does not have that kind of speed...

I fail to see any resembelance, other than skin color. Edelman and Welker are both very speedy and were KRs in the early parts of their career. Cooper does not have that kind of speed...

I think you underrate his speed....or overrate that of Edelman and Welker.

CAN someone explain to me the love for HORTON? Personally i think the D was OVER RATED hortons defense FAILED in crunch time. I personally thought he was biggest let down on the staff

I like Horton b/c I have faith that he can get it done. They had their moments of dominance, especially against the run, and I think they will only get better as they add a couple players and get more comfortable in the system. They came into every game prepared to play, but were put in bad situations again and again by our offense. I do think Horton needs to work on playing with the lead if he stays around, but all-in-all the D improved... no denying that

Also, the players like him. If we want to keep Ward around this offseason, and Haden next year, it would help out a great deal if we had a DC those guys like to play for. He also helps in FA to attract defensive players... Mostly though, how many available DCs are there that are any better??

40-yard dash times at their pro days:

Cooper : 4.65

Welker : 4.65

Edelman : 4.52

Damn... I hate when I'm wrong B)

I guess I could have said Davone Bess.......but it seems best for him at this point to try to latch onto the Denver Broncos squad and become a Roy Orbison fan....you know: oobie doobie, oobie doobie, oobie doo.

http://youtu.be/9-ColZLvkT8

Belichick will be coaching for the next ten years.

Maybe he really wants to follow belichicks path. Coach the browns for a bit, then become a hof coach with the pats.

Yes. Sure. He will. Why? Because he will know that it will be no fun to "follow a legend". Especially without Tom Brady at QB.

He should want to make his own legend, here, in his home town. Not up with the spoiled Chowderheads who would not probably appreciate him there. They would expect him to follow the BB/Brady mold and be 12-4 every year and be in contention for the SB every year. He can't do that without a Tom Brady....and the Pats ain't likely to get on.

In my life I have only ever seen one HOF caliber QB replace another.....that was San Fran with Montana/Young. It won't happen there....but he could have it happen here. Yes.

couple hours ago I would have told you you're crazy, no way McDaniels leaves a franchise like NE...following a legend or not. Apparently though the espn guys say it's a done deal....McDaniels will be announced as our coach as soon as the playoffs are over. Fuck me what do i know? ANd Schwartz is our new D coordinator...so back to the 4-3. Also...it's virtually a lock that we're gonna see Tebow in camp next year...McDaniels is bringing him in.That was on the radio tonight with one of those espn types who say the deal was basically made last year but McDaniels couldn't get away, or wouldn't...I dunno. But yeah they're basically confirming that Chud was a lame duck coach from day fucking one.

CAN someone explain to me the love for HORTON? Personally i think the D was OVER RATED hortons defense FAILED in crunch time. I personally thought he was biggest let down on the staff

It was a good scheme. Our personnel just didn't deliver, that takes time to get the right people. They missed with Kruger. He was going 1v1 with OT's the whole season and he only got home 4.5 times...Sheard not much more. What we did with the interior of the line though was awesome....they hit with Desmond. So in year one he made us a top 10 defense...albeit with some glaring holes. Not too fucking shabby. I'd keep him for another 10 years.

I have said all along that I thought that the new coach was already chosen, signed (back door handshake) and a forgone conclusion. The dog and pony show of interviewing coaches is to satisfy the Rooney rule and keep us out of tampering charges. That being said, I had and still have no idea who will end up on the sidelines.

Archived