THE BROWNS BOARD

Coach Chud Fired

why cant we win

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does this mean Weeden is gone? Please

What's the dif? Campbell sucks just as bad and Brian Hoyer had two fair to good games and one in which Weeden had to bail him out.

Fact is that the team, especially the defense, folded in the last half. Its just you guys and your irrational hatred of Weeden that might make you think otherwise.

As for Johnny Manziel maybe there's a bigger risk but maybe also the stakes are bigger. I don't see him being and non factor, a journeyman. I guess he could be an exciting success or a dismal failure. The other guys could be average starters or lifelong backups but I don't see the way up or way down side.

Either way I don't pin the failure of this team on the quarterback position.

WSS

Cleveland Browns are interviewing for a head coach. No experience required. On the Job training available.

That's the problem with the Browns. If you get a coach that has no experience as a head coach, it is a gamble.

The same thing is true of Quarterbacks. Some draft pics work out and some don't.

So lets get a new head coach and quarterback every year or so and hope for the best.

What a Joke!

Reading some of the quotes from the players, you get a sense of moral being erradicated. I know its a business and shit, but come on. The 3 stooges better bring in someone who can hype up these guys now.

So does this mean Ward and Mack are good as gone? Do they want to come back? What FA next year wants to come here?

The players already looked dead during the regular season.

You can't say they gave up, but they sure looked like it.

I don't know about keeping Ward and Mack. I'm sure with the right check they'll come back.

Unlike a couple others I'd be disappointed if we lose Ward or Mack, because we are not going to get anyone better for next year.

Been busy with the holidays...and trying to catch up like mad with the Chud firing responses...

After thinking it over a bit, I'm fine with the decision, because it's better the FO cut him loose now than to hide the fact they really don't want him anymore. Would be wasting more time pretending he's the guy they want. Now...go get that guy you really want, and be damn sure about it, and turn this lost ship in the right direction.

I agree with you. I also don't think it matters who was running the ball. We were either tied or had the lead in 10 games this year and won only 4 and lost 7 in a row. That doesn't even count the number of times we gave up the lead in the last 2 minutes of a half.

The team clearly had enough talent to be in that situation at half time of that many games, losing that many when we were in that situation has to fall on the head coach.

^^^^^this right here^^^^^, is all the explanation anyone needs as to why we're getting a new head coach. Like it or not, they gotta win the games, not give up leads and blow the games.

It's a real shame what happened to Chudzinski. I'm not a Browns fan, but I know from being an Eagles fans that Joe Banner is a complete and total scumbag. I don't know if he had anything to do with the firing, but he is such a vindictive, spiteful, and petty person. I could tell you about some of the things he did in Philadelphia, and they were pretty low.

I haven't been following the Browns much, so I don't know how much power Banner has, but I'll just say that he was the cause of much of the turmoil that caused the Eagles to fall apart at the end of the Andy Reid era. Banner got power hungry and tried to stick his nose into everything as the years went on. During the final handful of seasons, Banner started to assert his power into personnel moves and wanted a say in draft picks, and the Eagles had some really poor drafts before these last couple when Banner lost control.

I thought Chudzinski was a good hire at the time. I liked what he did in Carolina. It's a shame it all went down this way.

Beyond a shame- Banner and Lombardi pulling rank, and newbie owner Haslam expecting immediate results from his new toy. Sorry Browns fans- it will give me great personal satisfaction if Chud wins a SB before the Browns- and it just could happen.

Reading some of the quotes from the players, you get a sense of moral being erradicated. I know its a business and shit, but come on. The 3 stooges better bring in someone who can hype up these guys now.

So does this mean Ward and Mack are good as gone? Do they want to come back? What FA next year wants to come here?

Yes Mike- this isn't Pat Sur-loss goober ball. Hear any outcry from the players when he got the boot? Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't think so. I think the asking price of both Ward and Mack just went through the roof- and they're going to have to franchise one of them, and put a transition tag on the other.

I think the asking price of both Ward and Mack just went through the roof- and they're going to have to franchise one of them, and put a transition tag on the other.

I agree, Then, hopefully, we can turn things around well enough to keep these guys here in 2015. If not, I sure hope Jimmy holds Banner & Lombardi accountable, aka "fire their asses".

Mike

Cleveland Browns are interviewing for a head coach. No experience required. On the Job training available.

That's the problem with the Browns. If you get a coach that has no experience as a head coach, it is a gamble.

The same thing is true of Quarterbacks. Some draft pics work out and some don't.

So lets get a new head coach and quarterback every year or so and hope for the best.

What a Joke!

Well, if they go after McDaniel he HAS experience as a HC.

Bears' Cutler stunned at Chudzinski firing
JANUARY 2, 2014 12:12:33 PM PST
By Pat McManamon

Most of the reaction to the Cleveland Browns' decision to fire Rob Chudzinski after one year as head coach has come from fans, and much of it has been negative.

CutlerBut one prominent player in the league weighed in this week.

Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler does a regular show on ESPN-1000 in Chicago (appropriately dubbed "The Jay Cutler Show"). This week he was on the air with John Jurkovic, the ex-Packers and ex-Jaguars defensive lineman who spent a year in Cleveland on the 1999 expansion team.

Jurkovic mentioned on the show he played for the Browns, and Cutler immediately chimed in: “I can’t believe they fired Chud.”

To which Jurkovic responded: “Shocking. They are the new worst franchise in the NFL, replacing and supplanting the great Dan Snyder for the Washington Redskins.”

Cutler continued.

“They had a good team,” he said. “Obviously they didn’t win as many games as they wanted to. Defensively, they looked good. I thought J-Camp (Jason Campbell) came in and did a nice job quarterbacking. They had some talented receivers; that tight end is really good.

“It wasn’t an easy win to play them by any means.”

Cutler’s comments on the defense are kind given the Bears scored 21 in the fourth quarter, but the point was made.

It’s also something similar to what Bill Belichick said after the Patriots' win over the Browns. The Patriots produce their own show called "Patriots All-Access," which mikes players and coaches. After New England’s win, Belichick said (at about the 5:00 mark):

“Give them credit. They’re the team we thought they’d be. Young, aggressive, fought their [butt] off, gave us all we wanted and more.

“That’s a win none of us will forget, I’ll tell ya.”

Of course it’s easy for a coach who wins to be complimentary, especially when the win was as dramatic as that one was.

But typically if a coach or player feels like a move was proper or a team isn’t competing, they will talk in innocuous ways about a move or loss being unfortunate or sometimes being time for a change.

Cutler and Jurkovic were a little more direct.

Joe Thomas said it best,” Jurkovic said. “He said every time you hit the reset button, you set your organization back.”

“It’s hard,” Cutler said. “It’s hard to get a new regime, new offense, new defense, new way of doing things, new way to practice. ... It’s not easy.”

You are one of the whiniest little bitches we have on this forum, and that is saying a lot. Cry, cry, cry.........You're fucking good at it, no my bad, you're fucking GREAT at it. Later dick head, it's my last conversation with you.

You are one of the whiniest little bitches we have on this forum, and that is saying a lot. Cry, cry, cry.........You're fucking good at it, no my bad, you're fucking GREAT at it. Later dick head, it's my last conversation with you.

You're one of the stupidest people i've seen here, and that's saying alot cause there's some dumb mother fuckers here. You're the prototypical fantasy league fgt who is ruining professional sports and especially football. Fgts like you don't understand the game, you just watch the league on FX and think you do....it is a funny show though i'll give you that. But other than that you don't shit about real football and even less about what it takes to perennially win in the NFL. Despite the fact we have two of the best perennial winners sitting right here with us in the AFC North. But dumb mother fuckers like you who stare at their smart phones all sunday don't have the intuitive impulse to say to yourself...hey, why do those guys win all the time? It's like every year is a brand new year and it's just luck/fluke that the Ravens and Steelers are always battling each other for North supremacy, and we were usually in a dead heat with the Bengals for who can get to the basement the fastest. You're a stupid football fan, you know this right? You're an ignorant pos that just sits infront of a tv on sunday and drools out of the side of his mouth.

But you know who was watching those two teams? Mike Brown thats who. And he didn't listen to dumb stunned cunt fgts like you in Cincy

Well, that's no way to talk to each other. Disagreeing is fine. Name-calling rants are just silly.

The Chud thing is tough. I've mentioned a number of times that I think the FO did Chud dirty, and I've mentioned why I think that. What I suppose I don't really get is where all of this support for Chud is coming from (i.e. what it is based on, what fuels it, etc.). The fact that the FO treated him badly neither means he was a good coach, nor does it mean that he was going to be a good coach. I'm not saying that he wasn't, I'm saying that I didn't really see anything that indicated to me that he definitely was (the fact that the players liked him doesn't really tell me that; I've seen bad coaches that players liked and good coaches that players didn't really like).

Will the team be better as a result of the 2014 draft? I sure as hell hope so. But that's got a lot more to do with acquiring better players than it does with coaching. It's only logical that the same coach should be able to do better with better players. That should be an expectation, not a goal or credit to the coach. I've said it before and I'll say it again: A "good coach" should be able to do better than a "bad coach" with the same players.

Personally, I don't think that Chud should have been hired in the first place. I don't think he's the kind or quality of coach the Browns need to turn things around. There seems to be a fundamental disagreement (on these boards and in general) between folks on what's expected of a coach in their first year. To me, it isn't unreasonable to expect to see how the new coach is better for the team. A lot of you don't believe this has to be visible right away. I don't think we're going to come to an agreement on that. One stance seems to be: "Chud didn't do enough wrong to be fired." One stance seems to be: "Chud didn't really do enough right to be kept."

One last thing before I click "post". Let's put the "Chud" thing aside for a second and speak in generalities. Some people seem to believe that consistency is preferable to inconsistency. I would argue that this is only true for those situations which are constructively consistent. Situations which are either consistent in their decline or holding a consistently low level aren't really that great. So is consistency preferable to change? Sometimes, but not if the status quo is negative. If things are consistently dysfunctional, change is the better option.

The Chudzinski Conspiracy Theory makes way too much sense.

They knew they were going to fire Chud before the Steeler game?

Firing Chud makes no sense, unless the Browns were afraid they

couldn't fire him after he started winning next year with Hoyer and

a big name qb and several other players in the draft.

It isn't like the Browns were losing by large margins, say, 35 - 3.

Haslam, Banner and Lombardi are more like the Three Potato Heads than

the Stooges. Honestly, I believe they knew from day one that Chud was

a one year fill in.

Calf,

I'm not saying there wasn't an anti-Chud conspiracy, but I do have a contention with one thing you said. In my mind (and IN GENERAL), a team loses games by a lot when they are drastically outmatched in talent; they lose a number of games by very slim margins when they are out-coached.

Calf,

I'm not saying there wasn't an anti-Chud conspiracy, but I do have a contention with one thing you said. In my mind (and IN GENERAL), a team loses games by a lot when they are drastically outmatched in talent; they lose a number of games by very slim margins when they are out-coached.

Not necessarily the case, but a good general rule of thumb. Mangini beat the Saints by 13 and Patriots by 20 with a team that had far less talent than their opponents. Could be the exception that proves the rule, however.

My feeling is that Chud was set up for failure and didn't do enough to win. He was saddled with three bad quarterbacks and the only one that showed any signs of being good got injured. His runningback was traded and was replaced by a stable of nobodies. The offense was barely addressed in the draft, with only one player being added, a late round offensive lineman. He was hardly put in a position to succeed.

However, he made questionable coaching and time management decisions, which is to be expected for a first year head coach. There was a regression in performance as the season progressed, of course. The team failed to win more games than the previous year, which normally leads to coaching changes. Chud went against the wishes of the FO on at least two separate occasions by starting Weeden and by not cutting Little.

So he also clearly put himself in a position to be fired.

You can argue either way, but the point is that he's gone.

If we go out and get a head coach that leads this team to the postseason for the next ten years, nobody will care about Chud. Personally, I think Chud can be a good head coach. He's a leader of men, as DQJ put it. He's a former player. He's passionate. He's an offensive guru. And he's young. He'll have a solid career, just not here.

I don't know if I buy into 'they knew Chud was a 1 and done when the hired him', but I do believe the next head coach of the Cleveland Browns has already been picked and the backroom deal all but done. IMO, there was no way that the FO would make such a massive change without the answer already in place. These guys, while pretty bad, aren't THAT bad.................

Obviously, I agree with Hurricane that the Browns have serious QB problems. Here's my thing, though: If you know you don't have a viable option at QB, you don't insist on switching to a completely QB-dependent offense and then cry, "Well, you can't blame ME! I didn't have a QB!" when it doesn't work out.

Can you list a few offensive schemes that are less QB dependent for me?

Norv's Vertical was the offense that was supposedly tailor made for Wheezy's "talents"... at least that was the training camp line.

I'm starting to think (Spectralcow is) just fucking around.

You, too? Welcome to the club...

Go look up Weeden's pre season stats and tell me you wouldn't have started him- they were more than respectable.

Bingo...

Well, that's no way to talk to each other. Disagreeing is fine. Name-calling rants are just silly.

The Chud thing is tough. I've mentioned a number of times that I think the FO did Chud dirty, and I've mentioned why I think that. What I suppose I don't really get is where all of this support for Chud is coming from (i.e. what it is based on, what fuels it, etc.).

There is not a side of any argument you have not taken since you chose to grace us with your wisdom.

We cuss and we fight on this site. Don't like it? Then fuck off... there's another Browns' site perfect for you...

There is not a side of any argument you have not taken since you chose to grace us with your wisdom.

We cuss and we fight on this site. Don't like it? Then fuck off... there's another Browns' site perfect for you...

Ain't that the truth...

Happy Fucking New Year..

but he ain't fuckin wrong, neither is Joe Thomas. These guys actually play the game d bag.

hd6w.png

OMG!! CLEVFAN4LIFE CRYING AGAIN!!!!!

who gives a fuck what cutler or JT say. they make more money in one year that you'll see in your whole life, so shut the fuck up and play the game like a pro everytime you step on the field. for whatever schmo is standing on the sidelines. don't worry cutler will be playing golf with JT in a week or 2, so what's the prob?

JT should be ashamed along with the other players on this team for not playing hard every second of every game this year. they're the ones that cost chudzinski his job, not me or you. them. and the fact that the guy couldn't improve the team from a pat shumur team. talk about sad.

if i was haslam i would have fired the whole bunch including the FO.

So if it was known last year that Chad was one and done unless he made great strides this year with 1 receiver and a TE and nobody's in the backfield, and the coach they really wanted was going to be available this year and that said coach is supposedly Josh McDaniels?

Is that what the basic conclusion is?

Archived