THE BROWNS BOARD

Coach Chud Fired

why cant we win

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cdl15,

Anderson put up those numbers in more than 100 fewer attempts. The 2007 Browns also ran the ball more often and for a much greater number of yards. So, yeah, even if you're playing worse, you can put up similar passing totals by just throwing the ball more and running less.

...You won't win as many games, though.

I'll take a 2nd tier coach to the garbage we just threw out.

I would take 3 Steelers fans to take your place on this board than have to read the dumb shit you make us read.

You were one of the many that wanted a fresh qb brought in after hoyer went down early in the season, Flynn and the other retread shit bags. So don't say you were not one of the "he's better than what we have now" guys clamoring for a new qb every week. Then turn it all on Chud. Fuck you dude.

Name a coach that could have one with the turd qb's we fielded this year. Even dick breath Joe Banner wouldn't answer this question. He said other teams had success with a similar situation.. Who?

Add that we had to rely on guy's named fozzy Whitaker and willis McGhee to run the ball.

The guy did all that he could with what he had. This front office fucked us hard this year.

If your going to preach shit start owning up to it.

Chud wasn't here in 2012 so what happened during that season isn't really relevant is it?

In 2013:

Richardson rushed for 458 yards...2.9 ypc average for the season.

McGahee 377 yards 2.7 ypc average

Fozzie Bear 79 yards 2.8 average

377 and 79 = 457 yards and basically a 2.75 ypc average. I'd say that makes them pretty damn equal.

Doesn't change the fact that we had a piss poor running game for the entire 2013 season, only thing these stats show is just how average and replaceable Richardson really was.

I would take 3 Steelers fans to take your place on this board than have to read the dumb shit you make us read.

^^This. Maybe we can go to a Pgh board and ask some of them to come here so they can impart their wisdom on us as to how a franchise stays relevant year after year after year through Stability at the coaching staff. I'd take 10 steelers fans here right now over some of these dumbasses that can't see 2014 is already over.

I'll take a 2nd tier coach to the garbage we just threw out.

You'll get a 4th tier now and you'll like it. You're gonna suck so much dick next year it's not even funny. We'll be lucky if our HC next year was some guy running out gatorade to the players on a playoff team. Hopefully he'll impart his vast knowledge and experience regarding player hydration, 10 wins for sure.

Mark,

I don't really understand what you're arguing here. I agree that the rushing game was piss poor in 2013 no matter who the running back was. And Chud was the coach of that team. Also, if you're going to use YPC (which every critic of Richardson loves to do), let's use the YPC under similar circumstances (i.e. with the same team). Richardson averaged 3.4 yards per carry with Cleveland this year.

Again, I'm not even arguing in favor of Richardson. I'm saying that a person can't claim that Chud was a VICTIM of having McGahee and Whitaker at RB this year. He (along with the rest of the staff) blamed Richardson for the Browns rushing woes and made the decision to cut him. It didn't help, though. The solution may not have been Richardson, but the problem wasn't either. And Chud wasn't a victim of being saddled with McGahee and Whitaker, he CHOSE to go with them.

Mark,

I don't really understand what you're arguing here. I agree that the rushing game was piss poor in 2013 no matter who the running back was. And Chud was the coach of that team. Also, if you're going to use YPC (which every critic of Richardson loves to do), let's use the YPC under similar circumstances (i.e. with the same team). Richardson averaged 3.4 yards per carry with Cleveland this year.

Again, I'm not even arguing in favor of Richardson. I'm saying that a person can't claim that Chud was a VICTIM of having McGahee and Whitaker at RB this year. He (along with the rest of the staff) blamed Richardson for the Browns rushing woes and made the decision to cut him. It didn't help, though. The solution may not have been Richardson, but the problem wasn't either. And Chud wasn't a victim of being saddled with McGahee and Whitaker, he CHOSE to go with them.

Do you understand how player acquisitions in the NFL work? Do you know who has the power to sign/cut/trade players in Cleveland?

It sure as hell isn't Chudzinski.

Banner traded Richardson. I'm sure Chud was involved, but it was largely because of Lombardi's views on Richardson.

Richardson cost more than he produced, in Banner and Lombardi's eyes. Chud had zero say in the trade.

Oblongbanana ran the ball great but fumbled too many times for my liking.

If you add his numbers to our rushing numbers for this season the three headed monster of RB's for the Browns far outproduced Richardson's numbers this season.

Again, I'm not sure what you're arguing. Do you just want to say that Richardson is terrible? Fine. Richardson is terrible. Now... can we get back to the actual claim? The original claim that I was arguing against was that Chud was the victim of having McGahee and Whitaker at RB. My opposing claim was that Chud can't be considered a true victim of a decision he played a part in making.

Now, I can't argue against the claim that Chud was the victim of not having a decent QB, because I don't know that he had anything to do with that. I did hear him say that the RB decisions were made based on what fit his system, though, so I think he shares a little responsibility there.

I agree with you. I also don't think it matters who was running the ball. We were either tied or had the lead in 10 games this year and won only 4 and lost 7 in a row. That doesn't even count the number of times we gave up the lead in the last 2 minutes of a half.

The team clearly had enough talent to be in that situation at half time of that many games, losing that many when we were in that situation has to fall on the head coach.

Im sorry I think a lot of you who are happy about this firing really dont know what your talking about. I pray the Redskins hire Chud as the head coach of the Skins immediately. I think hes the next great coach out there. If Brian Hoyer doesnt get injured the Browns would have won the division. I cant believe they only gave Chud 1 year. Its just a shame.

For goodness sake he made Jason Campbell look good at times.

Im sorry I think a lot of you who are happy about this firing really dont know what your talking about. I pray the Redskins hire Chud as the head coach of the Skins immediately. I think hes the next great coach out there. If Brian Hoyer doesnt get injured the Browns would have won the division. I cant believe they only gave Chud 1 year. Its just a shame.

For goodness sake he made Jason Campbell look good at times.

Winning the division with Hoyer is too big of a reach. I strongly doubt it would have even came close.

Winning the division with Hoyer is too big of a reach. I strongly doubt it would have even came close.

I think the defense would have kept playing if Hoyer had stayed in there. I honestly think the defense started to coast a little after that. They kind of played for a couple more weeks but then you could see they were just getting tired of being on the field the whole time. I think Hoyer keeps the defense fresh enough for the whole season that we win the division. I say that with relative certainty only because of the downturn in the North this year. In any other year I'd say Hoyer would have at least given us a sniff. This was the year to step on the North's throat....we fucked it up.

I think it is important to keep in mind that Chud's first choice at QB when the season started was Weeden, not Hoyer. People keep defending Chud by claiming that he was done in by the Hoyer injury, and things may very well have gone better had Hoyer not been injured, but it's not like Chud came into the season with this great idea to start Hoyer and his whole plan was wrecked when Hoyer got hurt. He actually made the poor decision to start Weeden first, then ended up going with Hoyer when his first choice Weeden needed to be replaced.

I think the defense would have kept playing if Hoyer had stayed in there. I honestly think the defense started to coast a little after that. They kind of played for a couple more weeks but then you could see they were just getting tired of being on the field the whole time. I think Hoyer keeps the defense fresh enough for the whole season that we win the division. I say that with relative certainty only because of the downturn in the North this year. In any other year I'd say Hoyer would have at least given us a sniff. This was the year to step on the North's throat....we fucked it up.

I agree with your last part. We aren't going to get too many opportunities such as this one to catch the Steelers and Ravens in an off year.

I think it is important to keep in mind that Chud's first choice at QB when the season started was Weeden, not Hoyer. People keep defending Chud by claiming that he was done in by the Hoyer injury, and things may very well have gone better had Hoyer not been injured, but it's not like Chud came into the season with this great idea to start Hoyer and his whole plan was wrecked when Hoyer got hurt. He actually made the poor decision to start Weeden first, then ended up going with Hoyer when his first choice Weeden needed to be replaced.

I only fault Chud for putting Weeden back in there after the Hoyer injury and not Campbell. Starting the season with Weeden was a no brainer, nobody knew that the offense would respond like it did with Hoyer back there. It was just one of those things, right time right place. Hoyer had been a career backup and was viewed as such...his only playing time was going to come as a result of an injury. But they knew he had "something" didn't they? Otherwise they would have started Campbell over him. Why they put Weeden back in there I have zero clue, that was my one fault on them the whole season. To can the guy before he had an opportunity to draft and groom his own qb? bullshit

We shouldn't have to rely on the AFC North having a down year to compete in it.

I agree. However, we know how tough this division is, and we know how consistent Pittsburgh and Baltimore have been. Now Cincinnati is finally getting their act together! Quite honestly, I'm sick of having to resort to rooting for anyone playing against one of our AFC North rivals, because my team isn't in it, and because I hate the other shit head teams that much! It would be nice to be able have some confidence in my team and not worry about what the other teams in our division are doing, because we'll kick their ass anyway! It has last been since the mid to late 80s since I've felt like that! Now, it's more like "God I just hope we make it a game, and don't get killed!"

Chud may have started with Weeden but it was also his idea to put Hoyer in as early as he did and his idea to start him over campbell. I mean, honestly, no one thought Hoyer was going to be a starter but maybe Chud believed in him. And honestly, Hoyer looked elite. I dont care what anyone says I watched those games and Hoyer should be your qb going forward. Id trade you RG3 for Hoyer right now.

I think if we were privy to the inside information the FO had a strong hand in starting Weeden to see what they did or didn't have. No matter how they spin it they pretty much geared the majority of the personnel plan to 2014. IF they are right in that Chud is completely incapable to take the team forward after the 2014 infusion of talent Banner should have been fired as well. I would assume in Banners role that during the first year one of, if not the largest single responsibility is hiring the right coach. If he stands by what he is saying he should resign.

By the end of the year we were expecting a freshman coach to "show progress" with a team that featured practice team running backs, discarded veteran QB and several wide receivers who cant catch if their life depended on it. We needed to stay the course and stick with a system here for a few years for once.

ClevFan,

That's what it all comes down to: Does a new coach get to waste a year or years trying to get the components together to improve a team, or is he expected to begin improving the team right away. Now, you and I agreed on Mangini in the other thread. I think he should have gotten more time. However, I thought at the time (I don't remember the details now) that Mangini was headed in a positive direction, and SOMETHING made me think that. Nothing made me feel like Chud was moving things in a positive direction this year. To me, the best that he offered was a claim that he might be able to improve things after a year or more, but that he had no improvements to offer this year.

I'm not in love with the idea of firing a coach after just one year. However, I do think that a new coach is immediately responsible for showing SOME signs of at least the POTENTIAL for improvement. There has got to be some middle ground between "immediately turned the team around" and "took the year off to wait for the draft". I felt like, at best, even if he was going to eventually build a great team, Chud took the year off and waited for the draft.

Maybe there's no explaining what the front office did this year. If there is an explanation though, I think it was that they were prepared for the team to not be good and for it to take some time for the team to become competitive, but that they wanted to at least see SOME sign of potential improvement, and all they got was, "Well, maybe when and if I get a great QB we'll start to get better."

Oh, and Skinsfan,... Hoyer started Week 3 (yes, ahead of Campbell) after Weeden got hurt in Week 2. I don't think we can definitively say when Chud would have replaced Weeden if he hadn't hurt his thumb in Week 2. What we can say is that all three played in the pre-season, and Weeden got the Week 1 and 2 starts.

Archived