THE BROWNS BOARD

Adam Caplan on where DA's headed

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius
Derek Anderson/Cleveland Browns

Possible Suitors: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Kansas City Chiefs, Minnesota Vikings, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

As Scout.com first reported several months ago, Anderson has a $5 million roster bonus due in mid-March and based on his play in 2008, look for the team to trade Anderson before it's due. Anderson has a salary cap value of almost $9 million for 2009, which is way too much cap space to tie up on a quarterback who is projected to be a backup.

Chicago makes some sense based on the vertical passing game that they'd like to develop.

Detroit still has veteran Jon Kitna under contract for 2009, but he turns 37 this September and clearly isn't the future at the quarterback position for the team. A league source indicates that he's also due a $500,000 roster bonus soon. And another veteran who appears on the downside of his career, Daunte Culpepper, carries a $5 million cap number (includes a $2.5 million roster bonus).

Kansas City has a huge decision coming up. Do they go with a quarterback with their first-round pick or do they look for a veteran with a stronger arm than Tyler Thigpen to take over the job?

It's not a secret that Minnesota, more like head coach Brad Childress, is still not totally sold on Tarvaris Jackson. If Childress was content with Jackson as his starter, he could have made that clear--that hasn't happened. So Anderson could be the veteran that they chose to bring in to upgrade the position. However, whether he can play in a West Coast system remains to be seen.

Tampa Bay clearly has no idea who the their future at quarterback is and they only have veteran Brian Griese and Josh Johnson under contract. But as noted above, Anderson hasn't played in the West Coast offense at the pro level yet and new offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski has a strong background in that system.

Most Likely Destination: Detroit, Minnesota, or Tampa Bay.

I think Detroit would be the best fit.

I think it's a good situation for him - talk about no pressure - all you have to do is win one game all season to improve over last year.

It's a good situation for us - they have lots of draft picks.

I think it really depends on the coordinator and the system they will be running. DA isn't a west coast type QB. He's a stretch the field guy who doesn't have the touch for the short passing game.

I think Cassell gets franchised and NE keeps him. They got to have insurance in case Brady can't start the season.

As I said before, Minnesota would be the 1 PLACE where DA can be most successful.

He could throw deep balls indoors with an elite defense and the type of running game that once made it possible for a shakey QB with a strong arm named Dilfer to do the unthinkable and win a SB. More specifically, he'll need to be surrounded with a top running game and a defense that gives him a tremendous margin of error. If I'm DA's agent , I try to sell the notion that Cleveland was 10-6 INSPITE of the 31st ranked defense so TRY to picture supporting his arm with an elite defense and what can 10-6 translate to?

Like I alluded to in a previous thred, DA is going to be at his best when he throws a timing pattern off the plant of a 5-step or 7-step drop to an area in the direction the flag (pylon) or the post. What you don't want an unconfident and inaccurate QB doing is reading through progressions and throwing into traffic. If it's deep and intercepted - the sting isn't any more than the distance an average punt travels where the receiver can be in an ideal to make the tackle unblocked. The best case scenario is you got the RIGHT receiver closing in on the ball or fighting for it.

If I had a cannon for an arm, I'd want the indoors/dry football thing at the margin of error a TOP defense provides. I also think I'd want McKinnie protecting my blind side more than anyone in Detroit. If memory serves me right, Detroit lost Kitna and Stanton to bad pass protection. TB couldn't keep RBs or QBs healthy the last few years so that's not as attractive as it seems. NY Jets seems like the 2nd best option to Minnesota.

- Tom F.

When the time is right Anderson will ask to be traded or released.

And that time cant come fast enough!

And that time cant come fast enough!

Absolutely! The problem I see us running into is that he IS worth a 2nd or 3rd and I just don't see the Browns getting that in return. If we do, great, where do we sign? But, I don't see anyone giving that much up and I don't see the Browns settling for the 4th or 5th that they will be offered.

How about this....the Cowboys give us back our(we traded to them) third and Bobby Carpenter for DA and our 6th? We could even throw in a sweetener saying that we would also give next years 5th if Carpenter plays 75% of the defensive plays. Would address needs for both teams(obviously Dallas needs a dependable backup since Johnson ain't gonna cut it) and we get a much needed LB w/alot of upside potential that would benefit from a 3-4 system!

Come on Lerner and Jones, let's make this happen!

Absolutely! The problem I see us running into is that he IS worth a 2nd or 3rd and I just don't see the Browns getting that in return. If we do, great, where do we sign? But, I don't see anyone giving that much up and I don't see the Browns settling for the 4th or 5th that they will be offered.

How about this....the Cowboys give us back our(we traded to them) third and Bobby Carpenter for DA and our 6th? We could even throw in a sweetener saying that we would also give next years 5th if Carpenter plays 75% of the defensive plays. Would address needs for both teams(obviously Dallas needs a dependable backup since Johnson ain't gonna cut it) and we get a much needed LB w/alot of upside potential that would benefit from a 3-4 system!

Come on Lerner and Jones, let's make this happen!

Anderson's value is directly related to who pays his roster bonus of $5 million. If we have to pay it, then his value goes up because a team is getting him for almost nothing. If we trade him before the bonus is due, then his value won't be as high. Teams won't want to pay the $5 mil + his salary and give away a decent draft pick.

Best bet, we suck up and eat the bonus, take the cap hit and maybe get a 3rd rounder for him.

Im getting this sick feeling were gonna be stuck with his ass....

That's what I think also............................But it is a good deal for a team like Dallas looking for a solid backup if we pay most of his 2009 salary.

Problem is that Minnesota is a WCO from the top down and they've already suffered trying to make Jackson fit it. With Peterson, I'd want a really precise veteran with experience in my WCO at a time when our championship window could be wide open. Hence, Garcia.

Hear me out. Don't overthink it Shep. EVERYONE wants to be what they're not (ie; we want to be Dick LeBeau's 3-4 but we're missing the chess pieces). The heartbeat/motor of Minnesota's offense IS Adrian Peterson so it is ESSENTIAL to get Safeties away from cheating up into the box. They have the footspeed of Bernard Berrian who is wonderful for the post or flag patterns off the 5 or 7 step plant and fire. DA's other accurate spot is the centerfield throw. They need to become the Baltimore Ravens that were able to win with an ELITE defense (ginormous margin of error), 2000 yard rusher, centerfield throws to Shannon Sharpe and occasional deep balls to Brandon Stokely as the NY Giants painfully witnessed on SB Sunday. Best of all, the ball is dry and there is no wind and the air is comfortable. This formula has gravy. The margin of error I speak of is that while the Minnesota D keeps opponents scores low - they have been spotted scoring TDs themselves on occasion. More specifically, LIKE Dilfer had with the Baltimore margin of error - DA will play with alot of leads which minimizes pressure and elevates the chances of success.

I don't see the precise route runners for Garcia to work there. I think Minnesota is better suited for the deep ball. They gotta go play within the division in windy cold cities that demand a stronger arm than Garcia's in Green Bay and Chicago. If I'm DA's agent, getting Minnesota interested in his client should be about as easy as selling beer in Ireland.

- Tom F. (What do you call a Steeler Bar with no seats? A fruit stand)

Nice to see Caplan recognizing what I said before...Detroit is a great spot for him...and with the 33rd pick available...we would be more than happy to take that for him.

If anything, Jim Schwartz would probably try to get a more affordable Chris Simms. Jeff Fisher was just on the local radio saying there is nobody at their facility more often than Simms. It sounds like they're going to look for an interested shopper looking for a guy that is ALWAYS at the facility studying film, working out and fine-tuning skills. Who would know this outside of Tenn? Probably one of their coaches that got a head Coaching gig elsewhere. At this time, Tenn can't afford to get rid of VY because he's much more expensive to cut or trade so they re-upped Kerry's contract in the interim. Isn't it kind of ironic that 2 QBs recently invited to replace QBs at the Pro Bowl are nothing more than cap-jam for their current teams right now? If DA couldn't get us out of our funk - how's he going to do more than Kitna, Culpepper or any of the guys they already have?

In Minnesota, He gets an elite (wrap around) defense to ease pressure with a capable 2000 yard caliber RB, indoor climate and speed on the perimeter to throw deep timing patterns to areas. Conclusion: remove the thinking and make it timing. We kept overrating this kid's mental capacity or NFL speedreading through progressions and our OC needed a new job right? Minnesota doesn't have the precision route running WRs to be the WCO they seem to want to be. What would be better for them: an arm that gets Safeties out of the box for Peterson? -or- Pretending they're a West Coast offense and going for the often recycled Jeff Garcia? If Garcia was THE answer anywhere he wouldn't be packing his suitcase every 12 months. My previous post in this thread, I replied to Shep's notion Minnesota wants to be a West Coast Offense by saying we want to be Dick LeBeau's 3-4 Defense. Guess what gets in the way? The chess pieces so everyone wants what they don't have and it's the MAIN reason our 3-4 comes under widespread scrutiny. Minnesota isn't wired to be West Coast - they're MORE wired to be the Baltimore Ravens that once featured a 2000 yard rusher, elite defense, speedy WRs, TE for centerfield and a QB capable of throwing the deep ball. Minnesota is THAT right now with one more perk. Indoors = dry football and no wind. That said, Garcia doesn't have the arm you want to bring to windy cities like Chicago and Green Bay either. Seems like the best niche for DA in my opinion.

- Tom F.

if the huston texans gave up the 10th overall draftpick for matt schaub a few eyars ago then we have to be aboe to get better than just a 3rd round draft pick for da. schaub hadn't even won a game as a starter at the point that he was traded and da is a former pro-bowler. kokinis needs to get at least a high-end 2nd round pick

Archived