THE BROWNS BOARD

Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Class

The Gipper

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be honest, I'd never heard of Linda Ronstadt, but having listened to a couple of things she sounds decent enough - but not exactly rock and roll? More country? I'm not too familiar with that HOF, so I don't know if they have a country class in there?

I'll be honest, I'd never heard of Linda Ronstadt, but having listened to a couple of things she sounds decent enough - but not exactly rock and roll? More country? I'm not too familiar with that HOF, so I don't know if they have a country class in there?

What planet do you live on?

Here is the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame website. Familiarize yourself.

http://www.rockhall.com/

In addition to the above main artists also inducted are:

The E Street Band....Bruce Springsteen's backup band, of course

Brian Epstein....the Beatles original Manager

Andrew Loog Oldham. The Rolling Stones original Manager.

Its all about the Beatles and the Stones

Cat Stevens? Never liked the guy.

I never liked Nirvana, but I don't deny them their place.

Besides, other than The Beatles, Cat Stevens was the one guy from the Rock n Roll era that my mother liked. (long since passed away)

.......so that is all the credentials he needs as far as I am concerned to be HOF worthy.

Fair to say?

I love Rock & Roll, but find it funny how some artists are still waiting in the wings to get inducted, while others get into the HOF. Like Madonna or Joni Mitchell over Deep Purple or Genesis (Peter Gabriel gets his due this year).

I won 2 free memberships to the RRHOF for a year back in 2004, but never went. I swore I would never go until Black Sabbath got inducted (they did in 2006). I think musical taste is too subjective for all, and these kind of debates will always be there.

I never liked Nirvana, but I don't deny them their place.

Besides, other than The Beatles, Cat Stevens was the one guy from the Rock n Roll era that my mother liked. (long since passed away)

.......so that is all the credentials he needs as far as I am concerned to be HOF worthy.

Fair to say?

I don't deny him either. Just never cared for the guy. Maybe its because I was around 17 when his songs came out. Went into the Army when 'Peace Train' was popular. Just never got into his songs.

Agreed Bob. Madonna, in my view is horrible. I think its more of a popularity contest then actual talent.

And that is why Madonna is in. She is as talented as any female performer in history.....beyond being an icon.

And the hundreds of music professionals that have a HOF vote agree with that assessment.

And yes, certainly "popularity" is a legitimate factor. Anyone that sells hundreds of millions of record has to be give serious consideration.

Why do you think ABBA is in?

I don't deny him either. Just never cared for the guy. Maybe its because I was around 17 when his songs came out. Went into the Army when 'Peace Train' was popular. Just never got into his songs.

Well, again, if it were just one individual's musical tastes that were to apply, I may have said leave Black Sabbath and ACDC on the scrap heap....but that would be foolish of me to ignore their......yes.....popularity....and influence in R&R history.

KISS is in now solely on popularity. Their songs are pretty basic and occasionally catchy, but, they would never have been considered among the most forward thinking musical masterminds on the planet. But boy did they have a following......and they brought tremendous marketing genius to the table, so you cannot discount that.

And that is why Madonna is in. She is as talented as any female performer in history.....beyond being an icon.

And the hundreds of music professionals that have a HOF vote agree with that assessment.

And yes, certainly "popularity" is a legitimate factor. Anyone that sells hundreds of millions of record has to be give serious consideration.

Why do you think ABBA is in?

Seriously? ABBA is in there? Rock and Roll...nope, it's not.

Seriously? ABBA is in there? Rock and Roll...nope, it's not.

Didn't you browse the website like I asked? If you had, yes, you would know that ABBA is in there.

The way some people describe it to me....not being a big ABBA advocate, is that they were the 80s version of The Mamas and Papas.....who are a no brainer for the RRHOF.

So, given that explanation I would say.....if appropriate, then yes, they belong.

I love Rock & Roll, but find it funny how some artists are still waiting in the wings to get inducted, while others get into the HOF. Like Madonna or Joni Mitchell over Deep Purple or Genesis (Peter Gabriel gets his due this year).

I won 2 free memberships to the RRHOF for a year back in 2004, but never went. I swore I would never go until Black Sabbath got inducted (they did in 2006). I think musical taste is too subjective for all, and these kind of debates will always be there.

Uhm, FYI, Genesis is in. Has been for a few years now. Did not know if you knew that.

But, Deep Purple isn't....and perhaps should be.

Neither are the

Moody Blues,

Yes,

Todd Rundgren

B-52s

Bad Company

The Cars

Cheap Trick

Chicago

Def Leppard

Depeche Mode

Devo

Dire Straits

Doobie Bros.

ELO

ELP

Duran Duran

Eurythmics

Green Day

Nillson

Jethro Tull

Journey

King Crimson

LL Cool J

The Monkees

Motley Crue

Peter, Paul, and Mary

Procul Harum

Soundgarden

Steppenwolf

Steve Miller Band

T-Rex

Tommy James and the Shondells

War

Warren Zevon

Weird Al

The Zombies

Abba was 70s, not 80s, and like KISS they were a phenomenon that sold millions and millions of recordings. Not Rock n Roll ... But apparently pop music counts and it is The Big Musical Acts Post 1950 Hall of Fame.

Finally ... John Oates, Linda Rodstadt and Ace Freely on the same stage.

Z

Abba was 70s, not 80s, and like KISS they were a phenomenon that sold millions and millions of recordings. Not Rock n Roll ... But apparently pop music counts and it is The Big Musical Acts Post 1950 Hall of Fame.

Finally ... John Oates, Linda Rodstadt and Ace Freely on the same stage.

Z

Linda is no longer capable of performing due apparently to her severe Parkinson's that she is suffering from . Too bad.

The Rock Hall is nearing joke....Hall and Oates maker it yet Chicago and Bad Compamy don't??

Shoot....even Cat Stevens can make it yet Chicago....a groundbreaking band, or Bad Company with the greatest voice in Rock history, can't?

Joke.......move it out of Cleveland. It isn't worthy of the ground.

The Rock Hall is nearing joke....Hall and Oates maker it yet Chicago and Bad Compamy don't??

Shoot....even Cat Stevens can make it yet Chicago....a groundbreaking band, or Bad Company with the greatest voice in Rock history, can't?

Joke.......move it out of Cleveland. It isn't worthy of the ground.

The greatest voice in rock history? Are you high? That's not even up for debate and it certainly wasn't Paul Rodgers. That's ridiculous. No one...no one would say Paul Rodgers had a better voice than Freddie Mercury.

Archived