THE BROWNS BOARD

The War On Christmas!

MLD Woody

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does seem like were encouraged to recognize channukah, festivus, Kwanzaa or Ramadan or any religion's holiday other than Christisnity.

Christianity is a religion that turns the other cheek as a staple of it. If this were Iraq woody would most likely have been beheaded speaking out against the prophet like he likes to do. Because Christians largely bear the abuse heaped on them as simpletons and fools by athiests, who often consider themselves superior intellectually, they are targeted a lot. So yes, I would say that many of the people in this country would like to take the Christ out of Christmas and to them I would say "Too bad for you. Go celebrate festivus, douche."

I don't agree with you, like, at all. Firstly, Christians never had absolute power, and second nobody is attempting to dumb down Ramadan so other people are less uncomfortable, are they? Christmas IS bring attacked. By snide, arrogant know it all douchebags

How is christmas being attacked or "dumbed down"

Has Christianity not been the vast majority, the ruling group in America for centuries? Was public policies not dictated by this faith? Was any other religion or belief even a blip on the radar? It was the only game in town and it ran the show. Now other groups want equality and Christians are confusing it with oppression.

No. Christianity was never a founding principle or a requisite to power in this country. It just happens to have been the religion of the majority of American presidents. "Happy holidays" and fucking festivus are dumbing down Christmas. If you don't want to celebrate a Christian holiday don't celebrate it. What I won't accept though is someone celebrating it but calling it festivus so all the atheists don't get uncomfortable. Have yourself an atheist day or something.

It does seem like were encouraged to recognize channukah, festivus, Kwanzaa or Ramadan or any religion's holiday other than Christisnity.

Christianity is a religion that turns the other cheek as a staple of it. If this were Iraq woody would most likely have been beheaded speaking out against the prophet like he likes to do. Because Christians largely bear the abuse heaped on them as simpletons and fools by athiests, who often consider themselves superior intellectually, they are targeted a lot. So yes, I would say that many of the people in this country would like to take the Christ out of Christmas and to them I would say "Too bad for you. Go celebrate festivus, douche."

Kwanzaa isn't a religious holiday...

Debate rule #1, insult the other side

I didn't insult him. I'm going to insult you, for a guy who's smart you're the damn dumbest smart kid I know. He said douchebags attacked Christmas as some sort of response to my comment that douchebags had attacked Christmas. Do you read anything or do you just go ahead and post whatever is on your mind?

I didn't insult him. I'm going to insult you, for a guy who's smart you're the damn dumbest smart kid I know. He said douchebags attacked Christmas as some sort of response to my comment that douchebags had attacked Christmas. Do you read anything or do you just go ahead and post whatever is on your mind?

Yes, yes. Thanks Cal.

What will I ever do if you guys think I am stupid.

I accepted my job already though, so I can chill for awhile. No worries... awesome

War on Christmas? It's more like 'War on Christians' in many parts of the world

By Juan Williams

Published December 19, 2013

FoxNews.com

• 660-Church-Nativity-AP.jpg

FILE -- Dec. 10, 2013. A restoration expert works on a mosaic inside the Church of the Nativity in the West Bank city of Bethlehem. To visitors arriving in Bethlehem for Christmas this year the Nativity Church will look different. Wrapped in scaffolding, the basilica is having a much-needed facelift after 600 years. Last year it has been included in UNESCO's list of endangered World Heritage sites. (AP PHOTO/NASSER NASSER)

Is there a “War on Christmas”? The bigger question is about a war on Christians.

As part of America’s Christian majority I have never been threatened or persecuted for my faith in Jesus as God in the flesh. But I have had to make the case for my beliefs.

Atheists have dismissed me as delusional. They say there is no Son of God. I disagree.

Agnostics who see no evidence of God have misunderstood me. I have faith.

And I argue with people who object to manger scenes and the Christian cross on public land as violations the legal divide between church and the government. I think people of all faiths can reach agreement on reasonable, limited displays of religious symbols without offending anyone.

Let us give each other the gift of awareness this Christmas to the real persecution of Christians around the globe.

But even as we debate religion in American life we cannot forget a bigger threat -- the violent, global “War on Christians.”

Here are some of the worst examples of Christian persecution around the world:

-An American Christian pastor has been in an Iranian prison for more than a year. The U.S. State Department has confirmed that he is jailed “on charges related to his religious beliefs.” Saeed Abedini set up churches in that country for almost a decade and the government found his work threatening. The pastor’s wife told reporters earlier this week: "My husband is suffering because he is a Christian. He's suffering because he's an American... Yet his own government did not fight for him when his captors were across the table.”

- In Egypt fundamentalist Muslims regularly attack Coptic Christians. A House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee heard testimony last week on the sad plight of the Copts. Bishop Angaelos of the Coptic Orthodox Church of Britain spoke of "an unprecedented wave of violence erupted against Christians" that is being "carried out by radical elements in society.”

-And in Syria there are reports of Christians in the northern part of the country being targeted for rape, kidnapping and murder by Muslim groups. Christian churches have been vandalized throughout the country as civil war has torn the country apart for the last two years. The Civil War has forced thousands of Christians to flee the country in droves, seeking refuge in neighboring countries. Earlier this month, more than a dozen Greek Orthodox nuns and Christian orphanage workers were held hostage. One 65-year-old Syrian Christian woman put it bluntly in an interview: "They’re coming after us. All they do is massacre people, all they know is killing."

The British Parliament debated this worldwide persecution of Christians earlier this month. One Member of Parliament called it “the biggest story in the world that has never been told.”

Earlier this week, nations around the world marked International Human Rights Day. Let’s not forget that the right to worship freely, without fear of persecution, is not only an American constitutional right. It is also guaranteed by the United Nations in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

This holiday season I am asking American Christians to pray for fellow Christians who live under the threats of violence in other parts of the world because they dare to stand up for Jesus.

And let us give each other the gift of awareness this Christmas to the real persecution of Christians around the globe.

One act of love that all Americans -- Christians, Jews, Muslims, agnostics and atheists -- can agree on is that our nation must be a light to the world as we stand for religious freedom everywhere.

Juan Williams joined Fox News Channel (FNC) in 1997 as a contributor and is also a co-host of FNC's "The Five," where he is one of seven rotating Fox personalities. Additionally, he serves as FNC's political analyst, a regular panelist on "Fox News Sunday" and "Special Report with Bret Baier" and is a regular substitute host for "The O'Reilly Factor."

Hypoirony? Ironcrasy? This is from the self appointed board genius who responds to nearly every post with " Ur an idiot."

Rule # 2 don't be a douchebag and nobody can call you one with any credibility.

WSS

:D

Good luck with the new job, seriously.

Cal is an exception. I have been responding to him for so long that I just believe he is an idiot. Like Bunker.

I have never said "all religious people are stupid" or "all conservatives are stupid" or whatever. I don't generalize about a group. I don't go "all of those damn no it all atheists" or "those damn evil libs attacking my way of life" or whatever.

You see the difference there?

I also never "appointed myself board genius". Yeah, I think I am smart. I know I am smart. I say that and you guys just take it too far.

and thanks. I might be working in Cleveland. The company actually has a large presence in the area. I am just happy I got the whole job thing out of the way.

Is there a “War on Christmas”? The bigger question is about a war on Christians.

As part of America’s Christian majority I have never been threatened or persecuted for my faith in Jesus as God in the flesh. But I have had to make the case for my beliefs.

Atheists have dismissed me as delusional. They say there is no Son of God. I disagree.

Agnostics who see no evidence of God have misunderstood me. I have faith.

And I argue with people who object to manger scenes and the Christian cross on public land as violations the legal divide between church and the government. I think people of all faiths can reach agreement on reasonable, limited displays of religious symbols without offending anyone.

So she has to make a case for her beliefs. Good. People need to think for themselves and defend their beliefs. Not just "my parents did, and their parents did, so i do"

So she has to make a case for her beliefs. Good. People need to think for themselves and defend their beliefs. Not just "my parents did, and their parents did, so i do"

I agree people should question their beliefs, but that includes everyone, not just religious people. They should also question their lack of tolerance, what they think they know about other religions and cultures, and how they treat each other.

To say she HAS to make a case for her beliefs isn't true, though. The constitution protects everyones right to believe and doesn't say "but only if you make a case for your beliefs."

I do find it funny that the members of the most populous religion feel persecuted, though. They need to look in the mirror and consider the acts of persecution some who claim to be Christian have committed in the past few decades. These protests against Christmas trees pale in comparison to thousands killed or expelled in Bosnia.

And congrats on the new job Woody.

Osiris that's primarily because we, here in the US, are more or less civilized. Unlike Bosnia.

I think that people, when balkanized into a little groups no matter what type they are, will fight with each other.

It's equally useless to belly ache about the Crusades. (not that you did that here) Yes there is brutality in the world and many times religion is accused of being the culprit. We and NATO carpet bomb a few thousand civilians because Milosevic was mean to the Muslims. What did that buy us?

But I disagree on the Constitution. I don't think it guarantees anybody jack shit. We are free to practice whatever we choose as long as it doesn't piss off the liberal, or otherwise, big voting blocks.

And it certainly seems to me that there is a finite amount of religions that the Constitution pretends to protect. I've always wondered how they draw distinctions between religions and what they might call cults. The government justified slaughtering Mormons years ago and more recently didn't have a problem wiping out Christians, albeit an odd sect, in Waco.

Like I keep saying people fight with each other. If they are different colors or speak different languages or have different physical features great! If not date makeup religious differences. If they are the same religion they will find the most minor discrepancies to bitch about.

The war on Christmas exist, I believe, but it doesn't rise above the level of evil than just a bunch of people who want to be assholes and get some attention. And I mean the people who would protest a nativity scene or the call to prayer in Dearborn Michigan.

WSS

Osiris that's primarily because we, here in the US, are more or less civilized. Unlike Bosnia.

I think that people, when balkanized into a little groups no matter what type they are, will fight with each other.

It's equally useless to belly ache about the Crusades. (not that you did that here) Yes there is brutality in the world and many times religion is accused of being the culprit. We and NATO carpet bomb a few thousand civilians because Milosevic was mean to the Muslims. What did that buy us?

But I disagree on the Constitution. I don't think it guarantees anybody jack shit. We are free to practice whatever we choose as long as it doesn't piss off the liberal, or otherwise, big voting blocks.

And it certainly seems to me that there is a finite amount of religions that the Constitution pretends to protect. I've always wondered how they draw distinctions between religions and what they might call cults. The government justified slaughtering Mormons years ago and more recently didn't have a problem wiping out Christians, albeit an odd sect, in Waco.

Like I keep saying people fight with each other. If they are different colors or speak different languages or have different physical features great! If not date makeup religious differences. If they are the same religion they will find the most minor discrepancies to bitch about.

The war on Christmas exist, I believe, but it doesn't rise above the level of evil than just a bunch of people who want to be assholes and get some attention. And I mean the people who would protest a nativity scene or the call to prayer in Dearborn Michigan.

WSS

We are civilized because we have the resources to keep everyone happy enough to not start killing each other. So yes break people into small groups and make them compete for resources and they will start killing each other. Still, my point is that this whole persecution of and war on Christians is semantically disingenuous. Nobody is raising an army and wiping out Christians en-masse.

I do think the constitution guarantees freedom of religion. It is the people who are not upholding the constitution that are at fault. It isn't just Liberals who threaten this core American value, it is those conservatives who, while decrying the persecution of Christians, persecute members of other religions living in the USA. I would like to know if the people who are upset about these stupid nativity protests are equally upset by church leaders in Florida who want to burn Qurans.

Do you suppose it'd be as much outrage if someone were burning Bibles or American flags? Usually in those situations I hear folks cleaning it's our right to protest. Whether or not you are one of them I don't know. What I do know is that I ended by post talking about the people who bitch about the call to prayer in Dearborn Michigan.

If you haven't been to Dearborn you are not only missing out on a very cool city but probably the largest percentage of Muslims in any American town its size. And there were Christians bitching about the call to prayer. Just some people who wanted to be assholes.

I would say that's a similar situation to wanting to force people to take down nativity scenes.

The powers that be in US government, as you may recall, went positively ballistic over the guys burning the Koran.

Oddly enough it seemed that was the same demographic that supported the taxpayer funded artwork of Jesus in a bottle of piss.

Does that fit your definition of irony?

And we are most certainly on the same page as to what really makes people fight with each other. Here in the US we have everything we need so we find smaller things to fight about. Poverty in Detroit is hardly poverty on the African continent....

WSS

Archived