THE BROWNS BOARD

Michael Steele Wins RNC Chairmanship

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius
Steele Wins RNC Chairmanship

By Eric Kleefeld

Meet the new chairman of the Republican National Committee: Former Maryland Lt. Governor Michael Steele, who defeated South Carolina party chairman Katon Dawson by a 91-77 margin on the sixth ballot.

"As a little boy growing up in this town -- this is awesome," Steele said bluntly in accepting his victory.

Steele came six votes shy of the magic number 85 on the fifth ballot, and was able to get over the top after Michigan chairman Saul Anuzis dropped out to make it a clear two-man race. Steele is now the first African-American chairman of the RNC.

The Republicans might have realized just how awful it would have been for the GOP's image if Steele hadn't won. The alternative was Dawson, who until just recently belonged to an all-white country club and has said he got involved in politics as a teenage opponent of busing programs in the 1960s -- not exactly the best face to oppose Barack Obama's agenda. Dawson briefly took the lead on the fourth ballot, and after that the movement to Steele very quickly put him on top.

You guys are ridiculous.

Anyway, here's a great ad Steele cut during his failed 2006 senate race:

"For the record, I love puppies."

Thanks for posting, Al.

I like Steele - caught him on Colbert a while back (I think he's been on twice, maybe?), and on Bill Maher (douche-flake of the century).

I agree with quite a bit of his positions on x,y, z. Good pick, but the Repubs are going to have to do a lot more to get me back as a supporter.

Thanks for posting, Al.

I like Steele - caught him on Colbert a while back (I think he's been on twice, maybe?), and on Bill Maher (douche-flake of the century).

I agree with quite a bit of his positions on x,y, z. Good pick, but the Repubs are going to have to do a lot more to get me back as a supporter.

Gosh you'd think the faux tolerant Dems here would be apologizing for assaulting him at rallies but I guess not.

C'mon Dems at least man up to the racism you bray about so often.

Maybe they're just pissed he has a sense of humor.....

WSS

Thanks for posting, Al.

That was a good youtube ad on him. I only hope he is able to make a difference and stands for what he states in the video.

Archived