THE BROWNS BOARD

President Obama's "Muslim World" Speech

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

Here are two interesting perspectives on the idea of Obama giving a speech to the Muslim world. Both Hurlburt and Frum are opposed to the idea, though I find Hurlburt's arguments a lot more persuasive.

(Please keep your responses respectful and related to the topic at hand - whether it's a good idea for Obama to give this speech)

Here are two interesting perspectives on the idea of Obama giving a speech to the Muslim world. Both Hurlburt and Frum are opposed to the idea, though I find Hurlburt's arguments a lot more persuasive.

(Please keep your responses respectful and related to the topic at hand - whether it's a good idea for Obama to give this speech)

Why is this 'speech' such a big deal?

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Bush - on numerous occasions - talk about Islam as a loving religion?

This is not even newsworthy.

This thread is "so what? "

Terrorists try to manipulate the alienation of the West

and Muslims, to the point of joining up with them against us.

Well, talking to the Muslim world is a good idea. Like John said,

Bush also did it.

Guest Aloysius

I think part of the reason why it's significant is that he's planning on giving it in a Muslim country. In addition to that, it's expected to be directed towards the Muslim world, whereas Bush's "Islam is a peaceful religion" comments were directed at the American people.

I agree with Hurlburt that it's almost a waste of time to give this speech absent any substantive changes/accomplishments that would appeal to the Islamic world. I felt the same way about Obama's al-Arabiya interview: nice gesture, but not much there policy-wise.

His commitment to listen to Israel & the Palestinians was pretty useless, as most people realize that the US has to be pushing both sides to make big compromises.

• 4 months later...
Guest Aloysius

Ha.

I'm happy to see that my thoughts have remained somewhat consistent. I wanted more substance to the speech, which Obama added by getting tougher on the settlement issue.

And it's great that Hillary's on board: my own theory is that the personal animus between Netanyahu and the Clintons from the mid-90's helped make that possible. No one who was in the Clinton White House would trust Netanyahu, who signed onto interim peace agreements, then refused to implement them because he said the Palestinians weren't doing their part.

Bibi's a really slimy dude. He was in the opposition while the Israeli gov't botched a war, the Prime Minister went down in flames due to corruption, and a key member of the ruling party was accused of sexually assaulting a female Israeli soldier. And he still couldn't win a plurality of seats in the Knesset.

That tells you something.

Bill Clinton was guilty of sexually assaulting a few women in his circle, and

getting serviced by Monica Lewinski and lying about it to Congress.

What was your point again?

Guest Aloysius

You completely missed the point.

Imagine if one party were plagued with a Lewinsky, an Iraq War, a Katrina, and an Abramoff scandal all at once but still managed to get more votes than its rival party. That's what happened in Israel, with the scandal-ridden Kadima party winning more seats in parliament than Netanyahu's Likud.

There are a lot of reasons for that, chief among them being Netanyahu's relative unpopularity. His first stint as PM wasn't a great success, the economic austerity agenda he pushed as Finance Minister damaged his popularity with those Israelis uncomfortable with the cuts it made to disability and senior citizen benefits (the Israeli version of Leno had a skit where a Netanyahu lookalike put on boxing gloves and taunted an old man in a wheelchair), and many Israelis sided with Ariel Sharon in the two politicos' longstanding rivalry. Sharon left Likud because Netanyahu & others wouldn't support his disengagement plan.

So Netanyahu's not in a strong political position, especially with his coalition including both rightist and left of center parties. He'd prefer to avoid the Palestinian issue, but Obama's right to push it.

So after Obama shot his mouth off irresponsibly demanding an immediate halt to construction of Jewish settlements in the West Bank and Gaza.

What is he going to do to back it up?

At what price will Israel be forced to pay for the sake of peace?

Since when did Israel's sovereignty become dictated by us? This is the kind of stuff that starts wars.

Didn't know if anyone saw this. I am sure someone is going to put a spin on this one.

It was a pointed message to Iran's Ahmadinejad, who has expressed doubts that 6 million Jews died at the hands of the Nazis.

"He should make his own visit" to Buchenwald, Obama told NBC earlier Friday. He added: "I have no patience for people who would deny history."

Obama

They'll just tell you, Kosar, that Obama is visiting these places to get a better idea as to how to draw up his very own (that he has in the works, obviously).

I agree with Hurlburt that it's almost a waste of time to give this speech absent any substantive changes/accomplishments that would appeal to the Islamic world. I felt the same way about Obama's al-Arabiya interview: nice gesture, but not much there policy-wise.

Am I reading this wrong or are you saying we need to make more coscessions to "the Islamic world" and if so just what would those be?

WSS

Guest Aloysius

Concession implies a zero-sum relationship between the US & "the Islamic world" - e.g., one in which our enacting a policy they favor means that we've somehow lost. I don't think that's what we're dealing with here, at least in the few policies I was thinking of.

For instance, considering closing Guantanamo Bay: as Heck already explained, doing so wouldn't affect our security, but it would improve our image in the Muslim world. That, in turn, would have positive foreign policy and national security implications.

Or pushing the Israeli-Palestinian peace process forward: that would benefit us, the Palestinians, Israel, and moderates in the Middle East who want to support us and provide a local check against political and religious extremism. That doesn't seem like a concession to me.

Concession implies a zero-sum relationship between the US & "the Islamic world" - e.g., one in which our enacting a policy they favor means that we've somehow lost. I don't think that's what we're dealing with here, at least in the few policies I was thinking of.

But, if as tyu say, the speech should have included these "concessions" in action the following two examples are already in play.

For instance, considering closing Guantanamo Bay: as Heck already explained, doing so wouldn't affect our security, but it would improve our image in the Muslim world. That, in turn, would have positive foreign policy and national security implications.

And I think Heck is wrong.

I don't look at if from a security angle per se.

I doubt there's a big chance of escape.

Or pushing the Israeli-Palestinian peace process forward: that would benefit us, the Palestinians, Israel, and moderates in the Middle East who want to support us and provide a local check against political and religious extremism. That doesn't seem like a concession to me.

Pretty clear Obama wants Israel to back down despite the lukewarm admonition that Hamas should give up terrorism.

How much further do you propose?

US take up arms against the settlers?

WSS

Guest Aloysius

Israel freezing settlement expansion would be a shift back towards the peace process, as well as a prologue to the inevitable clash that will occur once Israel starts withdrawing from long-existing settlements as part of a peace deal (a real problem Israel's been hesitating to face head-on).

It's only a first step, albeit a very positive one. And no, I don't think the US military should be part of it. It'll be tricky, but it's something that the IDF will have to take care of. The US's responsibility is to apply political pressure on the Israeli gov't so that it'll actually keep to the terms on any peace deals it has signed or will sign. The same thing goes with the Palestinians.

War and chaos has been part of their lives for 2000 years their has to be another answer.

Compromise and lip service have been around just as long and have had less effect.

WSS

There has to be a willingness to find a reasonable peace than can be sustained ,and Obama's speech was a good first step to get all of these leaders to the table to discuss it.

How anyone can find fault with this is just trigger happy and the last few thousand years has shown that it doesnt work ,so let the dialogue begin.

Also back to the subject, am I the only one who cares that he's greenlighted a nuclear Iran?

Archived