THE BROWNS BOARD

You are the general manager!

Westside Steve

I have two problems: I'm starting to question Mariota's mental toughness. It just bugs me and I can't get over it.

The biggest drawback to Mariota for me is similiar but it is his killer instinct. Of all the Oregon games I have watched I just don't see the killer instinct that I see with Manziel, who I am not an advocate for at all.

Getting into Garoppollo a lot. Watched some highlights. He's a small school guy but he has a gorgeous throwing motion with a lightning fast release... truly looks the part. He'd be there early 3rd if we REALLY love Hoyer. I just don't see us going that way.

I have this feeling someone's gonna fall in love with him and trade up to draft him late 2nd. If you haven't watched him, do.

Getting into Garoppollo a lot. Watched some highlights. He's a small school guy but he has a gorgeous throwing motion with a lightning fast release... truly looks the part. He'd be there early 3rd if we REALLY love Hoyer. I just don't see us going that way.

I have this feeling someone's gonna fall in love with him and trade up to draft him late 2nd. If you haven't watched him, do.

Garoppollo? Really? Just having a guy on the team with that name could be fun.

I am officially in love with Jimmy Garopollo.

His release is lightning. His size is ideal. His mobility seems to be above average. His production is unrivaled (48 TD 8 INT this season), and he has made every key throw you look for in NFL prospects. He's not an idiot.

For a third (or second) round pick, I think he'd be a great pick.

Unfortunately, this reeks of a Lombardi reach. With all this hype, I could see Lombardi salivating and rubbing his fat hands together and taking Garopollo in the first.

By the way, any GM in this situation knows the Browns defense is number ONE in YPA (5.9) and number TWO in YPC (forgot, but we're 2nd). That's pretty amazing. We're fourth in total defense.

Based on those three stats, it's impossible to say we don't have one of the best five defenses in the NFL. So when you start your end of season meeting prior to free agency, the first thing Banner says is, "Offense. Okay, now let's start."

By the way, any GM in this situation knows the Browns defense is number ONE in YPA (5.9) and number TWO in YPC (forgot, but we're 2nd). That's pretty amazing. We're fourth in total defense.

Based on those three stats, it's impossible to say we don't have one of the best five defenses in the NFL. So when you start your end of season meeting prior to free agency, the first thing Banner says is, "Offense. Okay, now let's start."

You forgot to add that the Browns defense is rank 26th in takeaways, 27th in third down defense and 31st in red zone defense.

Garopollo IS a senior. I've watched a bunch of highlights & he is the real deal. I think he looks better than any of the big name QBs. Check his interviews too. I don't think I have EVER seen a quicker release & the kid is dead on accurate.

Mike

IMHO we need to do to the offense what we did to the defense over the offseason... 5 new starters (Bryant, Kruger, Robertson, Gipson, Skrine). 2 brought in via FA, and 3 young guys stepping up. Not to mention adding depth with MIngo. Having said that...

1 - QB. The franchise QB is not on this team. 1st pick should be QB. I don't want a backup from another team, or a re-tread guy, I want to draft our ace. My pick right now... Carr

2 - WR2 - Little and Bess can remain on the team, but it would be nice to use Little in a TE/WR hybrid-type role, and bess/benjamin in the slot. We NEED another outside threat. Probably should use our 1b, or 2nd rounder to fill this spot.

3 - RB - We will have a new starting RB next year. I'd say maybe 3rd or 4th rounder, or one of the FAs - Ben Tate comes to mind. Hopefully, Dion Lewis is back.

4 - RG - Lauvao stinks. He should not be re-signed. Pinkston can't stay healthy. We need to bring in a RG who can bulldoze and create running lanes, not to mention prevent some of the pressure from coming up the middle. We can draft one of these guys maybe in the 3rd or 4th, but this is a good spot to spend in FA.

5 - FB or TE - We either need to develop a 2 TE offense or get a FB in more regularly. There may be a FB available in FA, or we could draft one in the middle rounds. The other route is to get a true dual-threat TE. Cameron is a great pass-catcher, but he is still a liability in run-blocking. If we could get a guy who can run-catch-block and use Cameron like Bellicheck used Hernandez, we'd be in good shape. I'd be okay with drafting a TE with our 1b, as it would help just as much as a receiver. Either way, we need to start either a 2nd TE, or a true FB next year.

I have faith in Schwartz, but wouldn't be against finding a replacement. In all, a major overhaul on offense is what is needed...

IMHO we need to do to the offense what we did to the defense over the offseason... 5 new starters (Bryant, Kruger, Robertson, Gipson, Skrine). 2 brought in via FA, and 3 young guys stepping up.

Robertson/Gipson and I think Skrine were actually starting for the Browns the last several games of last season.

Not to mention adding depth with MIngo. Having said that...

1 - QB. The franchise QB is not on this team. 1st pick should be QB. I don't want a backup from another team, or a re-tread guy, I want to draft our ace. My pick right now... Carr

2 - WR2 - Little and Bess can remain on the team, but it would be nice to use Little in a TE/WR hybrid-type role, and bess/benjamin in the slot. We NEED another outside threat. Probably should use our 1b, or 2nd rounder to fill this spot.

3 - RB - We will have a new starting RB next year. I'd say maybe 3rd or 4th rounder, or one of the FAs - Ben Tate comes to mind. Hopefully, Dion Lewis is back.

4 - RG - Lauvao stinks. He should not be re-signed. Pinkston can't stay healthy. We need to bring in a RG who can bulldoze and create running lanes, not to mention prevent some of the pressure from coming up the middle. We can draft one of these guys maybe in the 3rd or 4th, but this is a good spot to spend in FA.

5 - FB or TE - We either need to develop a 2 TE offense or get a FB in more regularly. There may be a FB available in FA, or we could draft one in the middle rounds. The other route is to get a true dual-threat TE. Cameron is a great pass-catcher, but he is still a liability in run-blocking. If we could get a guy who can run-catch-block and use Cameron like Bellicheck used Hernandez, we'd be in good shape. I'd be okay with drafting a TE with our 1b, as it would help just as much as a receiver. Either way, we need to start either a 2nd TE, or a true FB next year.

I have faith in Schwartz, but wouldn't be against finding a replacement. In all, a major overhaul on offense is what is needed...

Uh, no. But I do assume you played OL! We could field the first Almost All First Round OL in history... which doesn't mean shit!

Uh, no. Just realize that what the NFL has become is control the line, have a good QB and solid people at the speed positions. We can control the D-Line, O-Line could use some work. QBs in this draft stink and you never draft a RB in the first 2 rounds. But you already know all this, right?

With our money, it's gonna be SO dependent on who we sign in free agency... and we'll be signing heartily. At least three of our lesser needs (not QB or RB) will already be filled. I'd actually rather draft those two AND the WR for different reasons: QB because there are never any really good ones available in free agency. Either old or bad or both. RB because they don't last long. WR because none will want to sign with Cleveland.

The other stuff, guards and third corners and ILB, can be young free agents.

I'd probably go QB, WR, RB, based on where you'll get the most value. Carr, Matthews, highest rated back with some size to go with Dion Lewis. In fact, we could trade back in round 2 and still be drafting high for a back. Love to end up with a cluster of picks in rounds 2 and 3.

Derek Carr and the Browns seem to be on a collision course... but don't count out Hundley. He makes a lot of sense because we have Hoyer. Gonna be a lot of WRs to choose from at #25-ish (or higher, since the Colts can get blown out by horrible teams on any given Sunday).

Drew Brees? Peton Manning?

Uh, no. But I do assume you played OL! We could field the first Almost All First Round OL in history... which doesn't mean shit!

obviously you know SHIT about football. what did stafford say in his presser after wiping the packers off the field today?

"THANKS TO OUR BIG GUYS UP FRONT. IF YOU CAN RUN THE BALL LIKE WE DID AND HAVE TIME TO THROW, YOU'RE ALMOST ALWAYS GUARANTEED A WIN."

i'm not against getting your franchise QB but we DO need a lot more help than that. and don't give me that bullshit about a great QB can make the team. without a line they'll end up like tim couch. and what do you mean by third string corners? how about a number 2 CB? someone over 6'2" maybe? you are so blinded by this QB situation that you can't see anything else.

get your fucking QB, finish the defense (should only take 2 picks in the draft and a couple of FA signings) and then start from the center right and flush the toilet and draft the BIG BOYS!

It's tough for a qb with bad blocking/no running game.

It's tough for a rb with bad blocking, and crap qb.

It's tough for an oline, with a bad qb and crap rb.

It's a team game.

You have to love it when it all comes together.

This is the first Browns staff that gets it, I think, in years.

You only have to look at the packers to see how a good QB can elevate a team. Sure, he's not playing D, but they probably can afford to take a few more chances knowing rodgers can always march them down the field and score points. The gameplan changes. Not to mention, the rest of the team has higher morale and confidence when your franchise QB is in.

That's not to say I would be upset if they took an OL in the second round, just that I think the absolute number one priority should be QB. After that, WR, RB and OL are all roughly equal, just the skill positions are flashier, and harder to get good players at.

You only have to look at the packers to see how a good QB can elevate a team. Sure, he's not playing D, but they probably can afford to take a few more chances knowing rodgers can always march them down the field and score points. The gameplan changes. Not to mention, the rest of the team has higher morale and confidence when your franchise QB is in.

That's not to say I would be upset if they took an OL in the second round, just that I think the absolute number one priority should be QB. After that, WR, RB and OL are all roughly equal, just the skill positions are flashier, and harder to get good players at.

If you could draft Aaron Rodgers I agree. You are looking at a team missing a top 3 QB and replacing him with a guy who couldn't help the Raiders.

1a. Best OffensivE player available oMIting QB.

1b. Best Defensive player available.

2a. AJ McCarron this guy IS THE BEST AVAILABLE. And is going to be overlooked.

2b. Carlos Hyde.

If they do this. Theyll be just fine.

At best. "Fine." With a limited QB (the next Ponder) we might string together a few 8-8s before our window closes.

Archived