THE BROWNS BOARD

You are the general manager!

Westside Steve

Ok Everybody you are the GM, the head coach and the owner of the Cleveland Browns. The draft is coming up and you have what you have in your arsenal of picks.

Trying to stay within the realm of reality, meaning you probably can't get Bilgewater even with three or four of your top picks but assuming that you could get Mariota with our 2 1st this year and our first next year, what is your plan of action?

Whatever positions you decide whatever order you decide as long as it seems reasonable with what you can probably get and with what you have to offer.

If you are going quarterback you have to state which one.

WSS

You have to go QB early in this draft IMO. We don't need to move up at all, but hell if we lose against the Jags we easily could end up with a top 5 pick this year. There's too many good QB's to miss out on. If I were the GM, my eyes would be squarely locked on Derek Carr. The biggest knock for him coming into the season was that he broke down under pressure. However, most things I've read this year say he's really improved in that regard. He strikes me as a Big Ben type, someone who isn't gonna run a read-option but doesn't fold under pressure either like our lovely Weeden.

Next first round pick should be WR, possibly ILB. I'm not sure if he'd last to our second 1st round pick, but Mike Evans is scary good. Guy is 6'5'' and runs a 4.5 If that guy plays like he does in college right now, him and Gordon could legit become the best 1-2 tandem in the NFL. Overall, I wouldn't be oppoased to BPA depending how the draft played out with the exception of taking a QB early.

I personally think the Browns could do well for what they need in the next draft without having to trade to move up to get a QB.

They will draft probably around 10 in the first round, then again around 25 with the Colts pick.

Can anyone here tell me for absolute certain that either Bridgewater or Mariota are going to be that much better than say, Derek Carr?

I say with #10 go for Carr (which may actually be a minor reach, because most put him at around the #15 best prospect)

At 25 you should be able to get one of the good WRs like Marquise Lee or Allen Robinson.....or perhaps even Ryan Shazier for the ILB spot we need. (he is listed as a OLB....but I have watched him play almost exclusively at the ILB slot this year)

(but if OG David Yankey is available they have to highly consider him)

With their second round pick they could get the OG if they don't take one earlier in a Zack Martin of Notre Dame.....though, if Carlos Hyde were here, how could you pass that up?

What would be even sweeter is if Hyde fell to the third round and the Browns could get him here. If not, perhaps the OG here.

With the second third rounder they own, the Browns could pick up what is left i.e.
1st: QB Carr

1st: WR Lee

2d: OG Martin

3rd: RB Hyde

3rd: ILB AJ Johnson of Tenn. or Shayne Skov of Stanford.

Would that be so bad?

The unfortunate problem is, it appears that we are going to be stuck in a 2 year cycle: Last year we relied heavily on a rookie at QB (Weeden), at featured RB (TR), and at WR (Gordon), and a slot on the OLine (Schwartz).

Next year, it looks like we will be right back on that same boat..... a rookie QB, WR, RB,

The difference hopefully would be that next year those rookies would have a little more help from some veterans. Gordon/Cameron for the receiving corps (as opposed to who MoMass and Ben Watson). Hopefully the Schwartz will come out of this sophomore slump....and be the player he showed he can be as a rookie.

Dion Lewis could be back to help the run game

I personally think the Browns could do well for what they need in the next draft without having to trade to move up to get a QB.

They will draft probably around 10 in the first round, then again around 25 with the Colts pick.

Can anyone here tell me for absolute certain that either Bridgewater or Mariota are going to be that much better than say, Derek Carr?

I say with #10 go for Carr (which may actually be a minor reach, because most put him at around the #15 best prospect)

At 25 you should be able to get one of the good WRs like Marquise Lee or Allen Robinson.....or perhaps even Ryan Shazier for the ILB spot we need. (he is listed as a OLB....but I have watched him play almost exclusively at the ILB slot this year)

With their second round pick they could get the OG if they don't take one earlier in a Zack Martin of Notre Dame.....though, if Carlos Hyde were here, how could you pass that up?

What would be even sweeter is if Hyde fell to the third round and the Browns could get him here. If not, perhaps the OG here.

With the second third rounder they own, the Browns could pick up what is left i.e.

Would that be so bad?

I was in the process of writing up a really nice explanation of all my picks before my browser froze and lost it all, but thankfully your picks were nearly identical. The only real difference I see is that I don't see Lee lasting until the late 1st and I don't expect Johnson to last until the 3rd. I'm a little concerned with Lee's injury history, but his explosiveness is great and he's extremely fast.

If he's not there, I'd look into WR Jordan Matthews out of Vanderbilt. 6' 2" with a 4.5 40 and really dependable hands. He had 94 rec as a JR last season and has 96 so far this season and seems to be the only option on Vandy's offense, so you know the defense has to be looking for him all game. I'd shy away from Evans because I think he's a little overrated at A&M where all eyes are always on Manziel.

I totally agree on Martin in the 2nd (or even Stanford's Yankey). Both are quick for guards with around a 5.0 flat 40, which hopefully means they will be more successful in pulling and getting to the second level of blockers than our current starting guards. I wouldn't mind either of them in a Brown's uniform next year.

I wouldn't bet the farm on Mariota. There seems to be quite a lot of QBs coming out this year that you could win with - and when I say that I mean at least Flacco-esque upside. In fact Derek Carr seems to be a Flacco clone.

So I'd stay at where we draft (currently 7th, apparently), and pick BPA with that pick - within reason. If it's a LT then pass, or trade down. If someone like Anthony Barr, OLB, falls to that position, I wouldn't be against it, our pass rush has been fairly anaemic when one or more of the OLBs is down. Not a position of need, but somewhere that could stand to be upgraded.

Of course, if Mariota falls you have to look at that. And also Manziel, who could potentially be explosive, but is a high risk on the Ryan-Leaf-o-Meter. Someone else to consider at number 7 would be Sammy Watkins, who could be an excellent complement to Josh Gordon.

All said and done, I have the following teams picking a QB this year:

Jacksonville - obviously

Houston - Obviously

Minnesota - obviously

Cleveland - obviously

Tampa Bay - dependent on now to the end of the season. If they win another 3+ games I think schiano and glennon get another crack.

Oakland - terrell pryor may have done enough, but if there's an elite guy there they'd be hard pressed to give him up.

So, assuming no trades, you take Bridgewater, Mariota and Manziel out of the equation with those first three. Then we have to decide, is someone like David Carr going to be there when we pick again at 26 or wherever? Or will Tampa/Oakland pick him up? Probably one of those will. If you feel like only one of those guys remaining gives you a chance to win a superbowl (and that you're not going to get one next year) then you pull the trigger. Is Carr that much better than Hundley, Boyd, or Mettenberger? I don't know. But I feel like we can get one of those other guys with the second pick.

The second first will be interesting. If not a QB, then there are some possibilities around there. Marquis Lee is an option at WR. Cyril Richardson, OG, should be there. You'll have a chance at a higher end CB there like a bradley roby or Ifo Ekpre or Olomu. You can also look at a TE like Ebron or Amaro. A load of options there, each with merits, each with pitfalls.

You'll likely see a similar make up of players early in the second round, including the same old QBs - nobody pick at the end of the first is looking for a QB (except maybe Kansas for a project), and those looking for one at the beginning of the second will have taken one at the beginning of the first.

Also coming in to play here are the top RBs in the draft, Carey, Gordon, Seatrunk etc. and you're looking at FS Lamarcus Joyner - Gipson's played well, but I can't see him in the pro-bowl, meaning it's a place we could stand to upgrade.

All that being said, I'd probably be ok with any of the following eventualities:

1a: Carr, QB - open competition with Hoyer, best man wins

1b: Richardson, OG

2: Allen Robinson, WR

1a: Sammy Watkins, WR

1b: Antonio Richardson, OT - Schwartz could move inside to G?

2: Tajh Boyd, QB - Hoyer plays for a year, Boyd can work on those little things with Chorv

you'd look to pick up a RB either in the third round, like Carlos Hyde as above, or in FA.

1a: Anthony Barr, OLB - if he gets to here courtesy of some QB needy teams he'd be BPA

1b: Eric Ebron, TE

2: Bradley Roby, CB

As a bit of a wildcard, we might have an opportunity, if the chips fall, to trade back, if both Jake Matthews and Taylor Lewin are off the board, and a LT-needy team really likes Cyrus Kouandjio.

Would that be so bad?

Those picks would lead me to celebrate profusely! Of course, we'll just have to wait & see what the remainder of the season, the Combine, & our FO think.

Mike

With our money, it's gonna be SO dependent on who we sign in free agency... and we'll be signing heartily. At least three of our lesser needs (not QB or RB) will already be filled. I'd actually rather draft those two AND the WR for different reasons: QB because there are never any really good ones available in free agency. Either old or bad or both. RB because they don't last long. WR because none will want to sign with Cleveland.

The other stuff, guards and third corners and ILB, can be young free agents.

I'd probably go QB, WR, RB, based on where you'll get the most value. Carr, Matthews, highest rated back with some size to go with Dion Lewis. In fact, we could trade back in round 2 and still be drafting high for a back. Love to end up with a cluster of picks in rounds 2 and 3.

Derek Carr and the Browns seem to be on a collision course... but don't count out Hundley. He makes a lot of sense because we have Hoyer. Gonna be a lot of WRs to choose from at #25-ish (or higher, since the Colts can get blown out by horrible teams on any given Sunday).

AFter seeing what's going on with RG i'm kind of glad walrus didn't sell the farm to get him. And there's no one in this draft we should even consider betting the farm for. I understand why people did it with RG though. Point is we have 7 picks in the first 4 or 5 rounds. That's epic. Rebuild the team. We need so much help on O line that for the first time I'm not opposed to going that route with the first pick if there's a day one starter there like JT. We really need to bring back whoever was the o line coach under Mangini, we were run blasting back then.

I'm not a fan of Carr. Many of his throws are to wide open receivers and those that aren't don't have the best placement. I think he is his brother version 2.0.

He struggles under pressure and when his first read isn't wide open, he tends to panic.

Even in his highlight video, which is supposed to showcase his highlights, it seems like his big plays are often the result of a player being wide open or a RB taking a dump off and housing it.

I'd be wary of him if I were a GM.

If the season ended today we would be picking is 9th and roughly about 24th.

Teams picking ahead of us are Jax, Houston, Atlanta, Minnesota, Washington, TB, Oakland and NYG. Of those 8, teams that I would say are definitely in the market for a QB are Jax and Minnesota. Houston is borderline definite. TB and Oakland are maybes.

Of all the QBs out there I have seen Bridgewater, Mariota, Manziel, Mettenberg, Murray and McCarron play. The big two that I haven't seen play are Hundley and Carr. I think with the injury to Murray this past week it is going push Mariota and Manziel towards declaring if they weren't already deadset on it.

Here is my draft. I have only gone off of the QBs that I have seen play so Hundley and Carr won't be included in my decisions.

Trade-up version;

1a/b to trade up plus 2015 1st rounder- Mariota

2- top WR. Maybe Robinson out of Penn State or Matthews from Vandy.

3a- top RB. Hyde from Ohio State or Wilder from Florida State.

3b- top OG.

Stay where we are at version;

1a- Carr or Boyd.

1b- top WR.

2- top RB.

3a- top OG.

3b- top OG/CB.

I'm not a fan of Carr. Many of his throws are to wide open receivers and those that aren't don't have the best placement. I think he is his brother version 2.0.

He struggles under pressure and when his first read isn't wide open, he tends to panic.

Even in his highlight video, which is supposed to showcase his highlights, it seems like his big plays are often the result of a player being wide open or a RB taking a dump off and housing it.

I'd be wary of him if I were a GM.

I actually thought the same thing. I hate when you watch a QB highlight reel and all you see is handoff after handoff. OK if it's all the plays from one game, but for a season highlight, I want highlight reel throws.

This is a very weak year for free agency unless your needs are WR, RB, or pass rusher. (Vick and Cutler could hit the market and make things interesting) Luckily we need 2 of the those 3 and I'm pretty sure we can get a couple.

WR- Eric Decker, Jermey Maclin, Kenny Britt, Hakeem Nicks, Denario Alexander, and Ted Ginn would all be great targets. I think the best value, would be to offer Nicks a "prove it" deal. He has battled injuries but has proven to be a productive WR, so he may come with a more reasonable price tag than the others.

RB- Darren McFadden, Maurice Jones-Drew, and Ben Tate are all talented backs and would be leaps and bounds better than anyone on the current roster. McFadden and Jones-Drew are the best fit, but McFadden may sucker a team into paying top dollar, so I would prefer to make a play for Jones-Drew. Sure he's 30 and has a ton of miles, but he is reliable and can catch the ball out of the backfield. The change of scenery maybe just what he needs to get back to being a top back again, and I'm sure he isn't going to be looking for a blockbuster deal giving his age and decline in production.

1a- Zach Mettenberger QB- This crop of QBs are being over-hyped. Bridgewater is good, Carr has terrible footwork and throws off his back foot far too often, Manziel has size and maturity issues, and Hundley simply doesn't impress me. Mettenberger has shown that he is coachable and has all the tools. He is inconsistent, but he makes some serious NFL throws and you can see the potential of an all star in the making.

1b- Cyril Richardson OG- Big mauler that we need to open up holes in the running game. He also can play RT if Schwartz doesn't step up

2- Kyle Fuller CB- Under rated CB with good size. He is a good cover corner and isn't afraid to make a tackle. Should go in the first, but it is a deep CB pool the year.

3a- Chris Borland ILB- Undersized LB that plays with some serious intensity and hits like a Mack truck. His fire is what this defense lacks and at very least he should be a ST ace.

3b- Odell Beckham WR- Fast with decent size. A serious playmaker that can also return kicks. I also like Devante Parker, he reminds me a lot of Greg Little if Greg Little could catch.

4a- Calvin Pryor FS- Hidden gem with an all around solid game. He covers well, has good hands, and can lay the lumber.

4b- Andrew Jackson ILB- Huge ILB that plays with a chip on his shoulder. Doesn't fit the mold of Hortons undersized ILB but this guy is an old fashioned thumper that will do wonders to stop the run and eventually take over for DQ

5- Spencer Long OG- Is currently injured but is a solid player when healthy. Could be a steal in the late rounds.

6- J.C. Copeland FB- Huge athletic FB that can blast holes and is a decent receiver when need be.

7- Isiah Crowell HB- Has talent but is coming out of a small school. Could be another late round steal.

QB- B. Hoyer Z. Mettenberger J. Campbell

HB- M. Jones-Drew D. Lewis C. Ogbannya I. Crowell

FB- J. Copeland

WR- J. Gordon D. Bess O. Beckham

WR- H. Nicks G. Little T. Benjamin

TE- J. Cameron G. Barnidge M. Gray

LT- J. Thomas

LG- J. Greco S. Luavao

C- A. Mack

RG- C. Richardson G. Gilkey

RT- M. Schwartz C. Faulk

DE- A. Rubin B. Winn

NT- P. Taylor J. Hughes I. Kitchen

DE-D. Bryant A. Bryant

LOLB- P. Kruger Q. Groves

LILB-C. Boreland C. Robertson

RILB-D. Jackson A. Jackson

ROLB-J. Sheard B. Mingo

CB-J. Haden B. Skrine

CB-K. Fuller L. McFadden

FS-T. Gipson C. Pryor

SS-T. Ward J Bademosi

I don't like the idea of trading picks to get the "latest, greatest" QB. Me, I scratch Manziel & Mariota. I just don't see that style of play working in the AFC North.

Since Alabama is on TV a lot, I happen to like McCarron. I have no idea how he will grade out at the combine, but he looks sturdy, strong & serviceable. My only fear is these QBs from the SEC & Big 12 play against substandard defenses, as the games all end up being 42-31 (except for "Bama, who actually plays defense).

We need help at WR, on the O-line real bad, and a difference maker at Safety and ILB. I want to forgive TJ Ward for his outburst, but he needs to start making plays in the passing game. I think he's made 1 all year, vs. the Bills on a Thursday night.

I guess I was blinded by love, because when we won 3 in a row and were looking like an actual NFL team at 3-2, I only was concerned about Safety, WR, & the right side of the O-line. Now that the season has gone south, we look a lot like the 4-12 or 5-11 teams of the last 5 years.

DO NOT TRADE. Draft 14 guys with 14 picks, that's my 2 cents.

I don't get the Carr fascination, are you guys fans of Fresno? cause he just seems average to me putting up big numbers against crap teams. I was on the johnnyfootball train but he can't stop dropping his shoulder trying to run over defenders, these kinda QB's last only a year or 2 in the NFL.

I'm thinking Mettenberger is worth betting on

Nice. Very nice. And as my name is Shepherd, we're obviously blood relatives.

If the season ended today we would be picking is 9th and roughly about 24th.

Teams picking ahead of us are Jax, Houston, Atlanta, Minnesota, Washington, TB, Oakland and NYG. Of those 8, teams that I would say are definitely in the market for a QB are Jax and Minnesota. Houston is borderline definite. TB and Oakland are maybes.

Of all the QBs out there I have seen Bridgewater, Mariota, Manziel, Mettenberg, Murray and McCarron play. The big two that I haven't seen play are Hundley and Carr. I think with the injury to Murray this past week it is going push Mariota and Manziel towards declaring if they weren't already deadset on it.

Here is my draft. I have only gone off of the QBs that I have seen play so Hundley and Carr won't be included in my decisions.

Trade-up version;

1a/b to trade up plus 2015 1st rounder- Mariota

2- top WR. Maybe Robinson out of Penn State or Matthews from Vandy.

3a- top RB. Hyde from Ohio State or Wilder from Florida State.

3b- top OG.

Stay where we are at version;

1a- Carr or Boyd.

1b- top WR.

2- top RB.

3a- top OG.

3b- top OG/CB.

Remember, that's a "low-light" tape of his worst plays to make a point. AND... if Alo did this, he actually likes Carr quite a bit. Thinks his footwork needs some coaching but loves his upside. He has rare arm talent AND great wheels... and when you say the ball "pops" off a QB's hand, this year you're talking about Carr.

I just watched his cutup from Higdon of that New Mexico masterpiece... and there's a lot of "wow factor" there. It's tough to put up the numbers he's put up... over a TON of starts... and not be good.

Hmmm i haven't seen him once this year tbh, those highlights/lowlights are from the previous i think. I will try to catch the rest of his games since alot of you guys are screaming for him. I read the comments on the vid and someone did say he's fixed some problems but i dismissed it cause all the comments are from haters and fans, not really nothing neutral.

It's just really hard to throw 39 TDs and only 4 INTs (Carr). He throws a LOT of quick hit stuff but it sets up the downfield throws, which he lasers. You can either say he has sloppy footwork or that he "can throw from a variety of platforms," as Steve Young prefers to call it. He thinks if you can only throw from a classic set in today's pass-rusher league, you're hosed.

Carr and Boyd have quite a bit in common. Both guys fit that PFO profile of a ton of starts (both over 30) with great stats... and both will be drafted in the first or second round. If you complete over 60% for your career with over 30 starts and get drafted in the top two rounds, you're guaranteed to succeed (!). Or damn near. It's kind of freaky.

The other similarity is nobody's gonna question their arm strength or mobility. BUT... on Carr, you question the competition and all the bubble screens. On Boyd, you question the height and shit-on-the-table bad games out of nowhere (for him and his team in general).

I would not bundle picks to move up in the draft for any of the QB's. If whoever is available at 10 (QB or otherwise) doesn't floor me I am trading down if possible for a 1st and 2nd round pick. I think with two 1's and two 2's we can get a QB, WR, RT and RB easily. Again if someone drops to us at those slots at other positions that are irresistible snap them up.

All of those thoughts could change by next years combine but that is how I would see it now.

I would not bundle picks to move up in the draft for any of the QB's. If whoever is available at 10 (QB or otherwise) doesn't floor me I am trading down if possible for a 1st and 2nd round pick. I think with two 1's and two 2's we can get a QB, WR, RT and RB easily. Again if someone drops to us at those slots at other positions that are irresistible snap them up.

All of those thoughts could change by next years combine but that is how I would see it now.

If anything were trading up with the 5 picks we have in rounds 3-5.

1a. Jake Matthews/Taylor Lewan whomever is available

1b. Mike Evans

2. Best LB/CB or a QB if a solid one in on the board

3a. Best RB/LB/CB on the board

3b. Trey Millard best player on the board

4a. Best Athlete on the board

4b. Best Player on the board

5. Best Player on the board

6. Best Player on the board

7. Best Player on the board

1) Trade for Marcus Mariota - Still too enticing with size, elite speed, and arm strength... His production has stagnated a bit but you can put that on the knee trouble and the questionable play calling. Either way he is still having a fantastic season and just turned 20.

2) Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt

3) Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami

3) Chris Borland, ILB, Wisconsin

4) Rob Blanchflower, TE, Massachusetts

4) Ladarius Perkins, RB, Mississippi State

5) Kadeem Edwards, OG, Tennessee State

6) Taylor Hart, DE, Oregon

7) Marcus Coker, RB, Stony Brook

Uh, no. But I do assume you played OL! We could field the first Almost All First Round OL in history... which doesn't mean shit!

1a. Jake Matthews/Taylor Lewan whomever is available

1b. Mike Evans

2. Best LB/CB or a QB if a solid one in on the board

3a. Best RB/LB/CB on the board

3b. Trey Millard best player on the board

4a. Best Athlete on the board

4b. Best Player on the board

5. Best Player on the board

6. Best Player on the board

7. Best Player on the board

I have two problems: I'm starting to question Mariota's mental toughness. It just bugs me and I can't get over it.

And I think maybe you took the back too late. But I like a lot of your draft.

1) Trade for Marcus Mariota - Still too enticing with size, elite speed, and arm strength... His production has stagnated a bit but you can put that on the knee trouble and the questionable play calling. Either way he is still having a fantastic season and just turned 20.
2) Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
3) Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami
3) Chris Borland, ILB, Wisconsin
4) Rob Blanchflower, TE, Massachusetts
4) Ladarius Perkins, RB, Mississippi State
5) Kadeem Edwards, OG, Tennessee State
6) Taylor Hart, DE, Oregon
7) Marcus Coker, RB, Stony Brook

Archived