THE BROWNS BOARD

Costco Labels Bible as Fiction

MLD Woody

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/11/20/costco-apologizes-for-calling-bible-fiction/

I lol'd

I also like some of this quote by the pastor

“On the one hand Christians should not yell out ‘persecution’,” he said. “We aren’t living in Iraq or Iran. But on the other hand, I believe that we do need to stand up for our faith and we need to be vocal about our concerns.”

I read a few other articles and saw some more quotes from the pastor. He seems like a pretty chill dude.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cysko Is absolutely right. Part of Christianity is knowing that you will take s*** from the rest of the world because of your faith. If you don't doubt your faith who gives a rats ass what Costco does?

Somebody at Costco just thinks he, she or they are being funny by being assholes about it. That's all.

Not much different than woody.

Then again if you call him names and rail at him for his constant insults to Christian faith then I think you are missing the entire point of it.

WSS

Ps I am agnostic on my best day, a true lapsed Christian, so I can call him a d******* if I want to. :D

People who have real faith will not really give a crap if Costco labels the bible fiction or if other people don't believe in the same thing.

Exactly. To be fair, it's tricky to label it non-fiction, but you're bound to offend some people if you label it fiction. Perhaps just stick it in its own section - maybe with other religious works.

MLD is a dweeb.

Excellent contribution to the conversation.

Yeah Chris, DieHard doesn't really ever contribute anything.

Part of Christianity is knowing that you will take s*** from the rest of the world because of your faith.

Is that true? How do Christians take shit from "the rest of the world" because of their faith? Do all religions take shit from the rest of the world?

How was I insulting Christianity here? Do you really think my only goal is to insult JUST Christianity? It is an all religions thing. I did go to PSR for a few years and get my first confession and communion too. I've been on the inside.

It should just be in a "Religious Works" sections or something. I mean, parts of the Bible actually did happen, they are historic accounts for the most part. Maybe Historical Fiction then? Idk.

Watched your clip DieHard. I assume that is how you think as well, correct? Stuck a few decades in the past?

Is that true? How do Christians take shit from "the rest of the world" because of their faith? Do all religions take shit from the rest of the world?

Yes, christians do take shit from the rest of the world. And by that I don't mean american christians take shit from Iranian muslims, or chinese buddhists. I mean american christians take shit from american atheists, constantly belittling the concept of faith.

How was I insulting Christianity here? Do you really think my only goal is to insult JUST Christianity? It is an all religions thing. I did go to PSR for a few years and get my first confession and communion too. I've been on the inside.

I don't think Steve was insinuating you're attacking religion here. The point the two guys are making is that if your faith is strong enough, you don't care what other people say, do and think - as long as it's not actually impacting your life, of course.

It should just be in a "Religious Works" sections or something. I mean, parts of the Bible actually did happen, they are historic accounts for the most part. Maybe Historical Fiction then? Idk.

Not historical fiction, that's another thing. Religious works is probably about right. But then you'd include the Koran and the Torah there as well, which would inevitably upset some people.

Yeah Chris, DieHard doesn't really ever contribute anything.

Watched your clip DieHard. I assume that is how you think as well, correct? Stuck a few decades in the past?
I think DieHard is just trolling a bit here.

The bible is a weird mix of true and not true. Do book stores just put all religious works in Non Fiction as to not upset anyone?

I also think the pastor's quote is partly accurate. No Christians are being persecuted in america. I think it is more of a matter of not being I'm charge anymore, or having less power. Religion is having less of an impact on society so those that want to keep the power will be angered. Is it really prosecution to say Happy Holidays? Is it persecution to not have ANY religious scenes in govt areas? No.

What the hell are you talking about Steve? I havent taken any history classes in college

Do you disagree with the fact that religion has less of an influence over society than it used to? You know how many friends I have that dont care about religion. You know how many engineering students I know that think that?

Here is a Gallop Poll about exactly what I was saying: http://www.gallup.com/poll/145409/near-record-high-religion-losing-influence-america.aspx

Religion is losing its influence in America. Christians arent being persecuted, they just arent always getting their way anymore

Do you disagree with the fact that religion has less of an influence over society than it used to? You know how many friends I have that dont care about religion.

No

You know how many engineering students I know that think that?

Great sample set...

Here is a Gallop Poll about exactly what I was saying: http://www.gallup.com/poll/145409/near-record-high-religion-losing-influence-america.aspx

Again you'll have some bias in the type of people reading the Gallup website.

Religion is losing its influence in America. Christians arent being persecuted, they just arent always getting their way anymore

Christians aren't persecuted and thrown to the lions. They just have to withstand a near constant barrage of people mocking their faith, ridiculing their religious texts and generally lumping them in the same boat as the WBC for abuse.

Religion/faith helps some people cope with the seemingly random craziness

of the world. To each his own. Whatever gets you through the day. If it helps

keep you from climbing the bell tower with a high-powered rifle, I'm all

for it. My problem with religious people starts when they insist on shoving

their beliefs in my face, even after I make it clear that I don't want to hear it.

From personal experience (my grandfather was a Pentecostal fire and brimstone

minister)I can tell you that many believers have equal contempt for non-believers.

So the view that "Christians are under attack and are being persecuted" rings a

little hollow for me. Christians in Egypt are being persecuted. Me telling you

I don't want to hear about or believe your religion doesn't equal persecution.

I don't think saying you don't agree with someone means you are being a total dick. Like I said, it all comes back to Christianity not having as much power as it used to in the US.

Idc what people do in their own homes or at private buildings. I don't want religion affecting public policy at all though because that affects me.

I don't think saying you don't agree with someone means you are being a total dick. Like I said, it all comes back to Christianity not having as much power as it used to in the US.

Idc what people do in their own homes or at private buildings. I don't want religion affecting public policy at all though because that affects me.

In god we trust.

I have both friends who are religious Christians and those who are atheists. Both say the other group "persecutes" them. For me, they key is just to tolerate each other so long as no one is harming the other.

As for this whole bible thing, I've found most religious texts at book stores to be shelved under the heading "religion." It isn't rocket science, but I think shelving it under fiction is in poor taste, and I'm not even a Christian.

Cysko Is absolutely right.

I disagree. The proper label should be Religion. It isn't fiction, biography, auto-biography, science fiction, or anything else. Possibly if could be under self-help, just like any of the other self help books on the market. Can help those seeking the help, doesn't for those not seeking help.

I disagree. The proper label should be Religion. It isn't fiction, biography, auto-biography, science fiction, or anything else. Possibly if could be under self-help, just like any of the other self help books on the market. Can help those seeking the help, doesn't for those not seeking help.

Yes that is correct. What I agreed with is the fact that Christians should expect kind of crap from non believers. Not that the non believers are right. And I believe the people at Costco did this to insult Christians. I'd guess the New Testament would ask believers to pray for them and love them.

WSS

You really think Costco did this on purpose? You REALLY think they're trying to piss off a large customer demographic? What is the point in that? Or does it from that fantastical land where Christians are persecuted in America?

I think you've probably got some smart arse shelf stacker probably putting the books in the fiction section, just to try to piss off Christians, yeah.

Archived