THE BROWNS BOARD

Bungle Fans

Zombo

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trophy case has several more than the bungles. I'm retired. You can have the diploma. I'm done with it.

Funny you should mention it.

I've been swapping with lawyers and accountants all day. Just agreed on a final purchase agreement draft. Closing inspection tomorrow. Business should be sold in two days.

I'll be retired by the weekend.

I've been swapping with lawyers and accountants all day. Just agreed on a final purchase agreement draft. Closing inspection tomorrow. Business should be sold in two days.

You are the one that wanted the diploma...like I said, it's useless now....Good luck on your retirement even though your team sucks.

And he lived long enough to hate the franchise that bore his name like no other in the NFL.

Well....he hated the owner of that franchise. I don't know about the franchise itself.

I mean, yea, it would be rough to have to go up against a team that supposedly bears your name while you are on the opposite sideline.

I live an hour away from Cinci and there are more scumbag Steeler fans than Bengals fans. Bengals have the most fairweather fanbase in all of sports.

Im with you Vapor Trail. I live close to Dayton, Ohio maybe 50 miles from Cincy. The Who-dies have the worst fans Ive ever seen. When there winning everyone is wareing there new stuff from the Mall with the tags still on them, or there wearing old crap from the 80,s that smells like mothballs. I see Brownies all over win or lose. When the Bingles lose you won't find a fan wearing their colors for a 100 mile radius. Such is the life of the Fairweather fan and of the team with worst record in all of the NFL for the 20th Century. Browns 27 - Who-whos 21...

Considering the progenitor of both franchises were the same man, wouldn't all of Cleveland's ancient history accomplishments be considered those of the Cleveland PreBengals? Once the Actual Bengals came into existence and Paul Browns influence was completely expunged from Browns, we should list all of the Actual Browns accomplishments to make this argument more legitimate.

Ok, let's start the list...

There's the....wait...no, not that....

Then there's the, the uhh, uhh....

Well, crap, never mind....forget I said anything.

Considering the progenitor of both franchises were the same man, wouldn't all of Cleveland's ancient history accomplishments be considered those of the Cleveland PreBengals? Once the Actual Bengals came into existence and Paul Browns influence was completely expunged from Browns, we should list all of the Actual Browns accomplishments to make this argument more legitimate.

Talk about stupid. I nominate this posting to be the dumbest to date

FWIW, Brown was fired because the players felt they could not win with him anymore.

Guest mrgiggles

Cincinnati has some of the most fairweather fans on earth. The only reason Marvin Lewis never got fired is no one actually knew who coached the team.

Cincinnati "fans" this year:

"Who Dey!!!"

Cincinnati "fans" for the past 20 years:

"Who Dey???"

Browns fans ....woof woof. ...

Lol

Again, you try to be flippant, but you will actually learn a history lesson.

There are actually 2 theories about how the Browns got their name. Originally the Cleveland AAFC team was suggested to be called The Panthers I believe. But Paul Brown wanted no part of that name because an earlier Cleveland Panther team in one of the early AFL versions, was a bad team, so he didn't want that name.

Then someone, perhaps Mickey McBride, suggested that the name be called The Browns. (if you know your sports history you would know that there was actually a team called the St. Louis Browns in major league baseball. It was called that for over 50 years until it moved and today is known as The Baltimore Orioles). But McBride suggested that the name be in honor of Paul Brown himself. But PB said "no, I don't want that". So, instead, McBride said "let's name them The Browns in honor of Joe Louis, the "Brown Bomber", the heavyweight champion at the time. So PB said "sure, I can live with that". But of course he said it with a wink. He was egotistical enough to want the team have his name, but he just didn't want to be so crass as to admit it.

So, basically, you can say the Browns are named after Joe Louis.....or after Paul Brown, whichever theory you want to buy.

However, there is an issue with the Joe Louis theory....that issue is similar to what is going on with the controversy over the Redskins name....that being that if the Browns are to be named in honor of Joe Louis, "the Brown Bomber", you are essentially saying that they are the "Cleveland Negroes" or the Cleveland African-Americans...or worse. Joe Louis was the Brown Bomber because his skin color was brown.

People don't bring that fact up, or make a big deal of it, but, there it is.

The most recent biography of Brown I purchased dismisses the Brown Bomber theory and states that the real reason is because, while they were in limbo after PB's rejection of the Panthers moniker, a newspaper article ran with the caption "Cleveland's Fightin' Browns" or something of that ilk. When they had the next round of votes, the name "Cleveland Browns" had already stuck, much to PB's dismay.

Cincinnati has some of the most fairweather fans on earth. The only reason Marvin Lewis never got fired is no one actually knew who coached the team.

Cincinnati "fans" this year:

"Who Dey!!!"

Cincinnati "fans" for the past 20 years:

"Who Dey???"

Cincinnati fans over the past 20 years:

"Go Steelers!"

Selling that Still hey Jed? Good on ya. Moving to Beverly Hills?

The most recent biography of Brown I purchased dismisses the Brown Bomber theory and states that the real reason is because, while they were in limbo after PB's rejection of the Panthers moniker, a newspaper article ran with the caption "Cleveland's Fightin' Browns" or something of that ilk. When they had the next round of votes, the name "Cleveland Browns" had already stuck, much to PB's dismay.

Well, maybe PB and his biographer dismiss it, but the fact is that theory is still out there.

Like I said....I don't think the Browns having his name was to his dismay....secretly, he just didn't want to appear crass.

If Paul Brown didn't want the team to be named The Browns, they would NOT have been named The Browns. Pure and simple.

I heard local Cincinnati sporting goods stores were offering 20% discount on Bungles jerseys to "fans" when they traded in their Steelers gear.

You know what was really funny? Back in the Bungle suckage years- which are frequent, BTW- a guy left 2 tickets to the game under his windshield wipers. (couldn't give 'em away) When he got back, there were 6. hahahaha.

When we see/hear some intelligent football talk, we will respond accordingly. So far you have reaped what you have sown.

If you all are going to be douchebags, then we will merely supply the water and cleansing solution.

Yea....two weeks ago Brown fans are talking about first pick in draft, then win one game against lowly Vikings and your talking playoffs.....real intelligent!

Archived