THE BROWNS BOARD

Buckeyes

Bob806

Won 20 in a row, and nobody gives a damn.

Do you think we have a chance at the BCS Championship if we win out? I think we are still being penalized for losing those title games years ago.

The voters forget we beat Oregon in the Rose Bowl, and Arkansas in the Sugar since those losses. Our defense has looked shaky until last night, time the voters look past this SEC stuff, and our soft early season schedule.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Won 20 in a row, and nobody gives a damn.

Do you think we have a chance at the BCS Championship if we win out? I think we are still being penalized for losing those title games years ago.

The voters forget we beat Oregon in the Rose Bowl, and Arkansas in the Sugar since those losses. Our defense has looked shaky until last night, time the voters look past this SEC stuff, and our soft early season schedule.

People will give a damn. Its just that the media likes to think that teams in the southeast/west are better than those in the midwest...but like you said, OSU beat the last 2 teams from the south and west that they met. Sure, they lost a couple of title games to FLa. and LSU...but they also beat Miami. Last time I looked Miami was in the south.

The other thing is that it is true the Buckeyes haven't looked totally dominant this year against everyone.....but if they continue to win, things will turn out OK in the end.

Note: If Ohio St. were eligible last year, Alabama would never have been in the BCS title game. That would have been OSU/Notre Dame.

A similar thing could happen here. Alabama does not seem unbeatable this year (maybe there HGH program is not working quite as well). FSU could lose vs. Miami this week. Oregon seems to me to be the most sure thing.

(btw....does anyone at Oregon miss Chip Kelly?). In 2-3 years Kelly will be back in college, just like Steve Spurrier. Probably at Rutgers or Maryland or somewhere. He and Greg Schiano.

Real talk, OSU won't be hopping FSU or Oregon any time soon. They haven't looked impressive enough and haven't played as many good teams. If they run the table, along with FSU, Oregon and Bama, they'll be 4th.... that's just the truth. They needed NW to keep playing well, they also need some big wins against highly ranked teams at the end of the year and in the B1G title game.

Or, and you guys never beat Arkansas, remember?

Real talk, OSU won't be hopping FSU or Oregon any time soon. They haven't looked impressive enough and haven't played as many good teams. If they run the table, along with FSU, Oregon and Bama, they'll be 4th.... that's just the truth. They needed NW to keep playing well, they also need some big wins against highly ranked teams at the end of the year and in the B1G title game.

OK, they may not jump those teams unless those teams lose...which they can do....but that does not mean that they could not beat them if they played.

As for the schedules....have you seen Alabama's schedule? They play a lousier schedule than the Buckeyes do. Their non-conference games:

Colorado St.

Georgia St.

Chattanooga.

(that is a far bigger cupcake schedule than OSU playing Cal, SDSU, Fla. A&M and Buffalo)

And Alabama's SEC schedule includes

Texas A&M

Kentucky

Arkansas

Tennesseee

Missisissipi St.

LSU

Auburn

(I do not see where, this year anyway, that these teams are significantly, if at all better than Penn St., Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern, Indiana, Illinois, Purdue and Michigan...do you?)

I know our (Buckeyes) schedule isn't stellar, but 21 in a row speaks for itself.

Also, we started ranked #2, & we were dropped in the polls because we didn't look good vs. Cal. Then we beat up a team we shouldn't even play 76-0, and we drop another spot to #4.

I think the only way we can play for the BCS title is for all 3 teams ahead of us to lose once. The national media hates OSU, and the SEC coaches will never give props to any Big 10 team in the coaches poll.

The media is SEC bias, but they don'y hate OSU. OSU just doesn't have as many impressive wins as FSU or Oregon

You're partially right....only Mark may & Tim Brando (biggest SEC rah rah guy ever) seem to have total Buckeye hate.

Who determines the schedule? It seems a bit unfair for someone to determine who you play, then criticise you for it.

For the conference portion of the schedule, the Big Ten decides the schedule. For the non-conference portion the schools make their own arrangements. And the contracts for these games are often made a decade in advance, especially those against other major conference teams. See this link:

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-ten/ohio-state-buckeyes.php

Luckily, there will be a playoff starting next season.

That seems much more sensible, who on earth came up with the idea of voting which teams are the best? OK, I get that in olden times, when travel was difficult/expensive you don't want more matches than necessary, but this is 2013, surely this should have changed some time ago?

That seems much more sensible, who on earth came up with the idea of voting which teams are the best? OK, I get that in olden times, when travel was difficult/expensive you don't want more matches than necessary, but this is 2013, surely this should have changed some time ago?

Consider college football like evolution: change comes, but it comes very very slowly.

2011 Sugar Bowl

Also it hurts OSU that Wisconsin lost a dumb game(refs admitted a mistake), Michigan isn't at its usual position, Vanderbilt dropped out of a game(almost at the last moment) forcing OSU to schedule who was left(San Diego State) and Northwestern basically collapsed after they lost to OSU

Its a great system for having some great bowl games, and pre-BCS era there was a ton of bowl games on New Years that you could just sit around and watch all day. However its horrible at deciding who is the best in the country.

2011 Sugar Bowl

Also it hurts OSU that Wisconsin lost a dumb game(refs admitted a mistake), Michigan isn't at its usual position, Vanderbilt dropped out of a game(almost at the last moment) forcing OSU to schedule who was left(San Diego State) and Northwestern basically collapsed after they lost to OSU

So? An SEC team pussed out from playing OSU? Why? So they could schedule like Mideast Bugtussle College?

People claim that OSU's schedule was weak this year. Have you seen the SEC team's nonconference schedules?

Alabama I think plays 2 different Division 1-AA opponents.

Hell I have checked it....and at least 9 of the SEC schools have scheduled 2 games each against lower division opponents:

Alabama: Ga. St. and Chattanooga St.

Arkansas: Samford and UL-Lafayette

Auburn: Western Carolina and Fla. Atlantic

Kentucky: W. Ky and Alabam St.

LSU: UAB and Furman

Ole Miss: SE Missouri and Idaho

Missouri: Ark. St. and Murray St

Tenn: Austin Peay and W. Ky

Vandy: Austin Peay and UMass.

I wasn't disagreeing with the fact that OSU's schedules isn't really weak when compared to other schools, if you throw vandy on there and remove san diego state its probably right on par with alabama's and fsu's strength wise. The BS era is all about national perception and having the B1G second biggest named schools not being that strong(Michigan, Penn State, and Nebraska) hurts a team like OSU get more votes to get into the NC game.

IMO OSU is the third best(being objective) team in the country behind Alabama and Baylor, think Baylor is underrated and FSU is overrated for their 1 win against Clemson.

Also a few of those teams that you have listed are now FBS schools, unless your defining lower division as non BCS conferences (ie GA State and western KY) only 3 FBS schools played 2 or more FCS schools Clemson and GA tech have 2, and GA State has 3.

Games vs. FCS Schools by Conference http://www.fbschedules.com/2013/02/2013-college-football-scheduling-fbs-vs-fcs/

• ACC - 16
  • Big 12 - 8
  • Big East - 9
  • Big Ten - 10
  • C-USA - 7
  • Independents - 4
  • MAC - 12
  • MWC - 10
  • Pac-12 - 9
  • SEC - 14
  • Sun Belt - 10

I wasn't disagreeing with the fact that OSU's schedules isn't really weak when compared to other schools, if you throw vandy on there and remove san diego state its probably right on par with alabama's and fsu's strength wise. The BS era is all about national perception and having the B1G second biggest named schools not being that strong(Michigan, Penn State, and Nebraska) hurts a team like OSU get more votes to get into the NC game.

IMO OSU is the third best(being objective) team in the country behind Alabama and Baylor, think Baylor is underrated and FSU is overrated for their 1 win against Clemson.

Also a few of those teams that you have listed are now FBS schools, unless your defining lower division as non BCS conferences (ie GA State and western KY) only 3 FBS schools played 2 or more FCS schools Clemson and GA tech have 2, and GA State has 3.

Games vs. FCS Schools by Conference http://www.fbschedules.com/2013/02/2013-college-football-scheduling-fbs-vs-fcs/

• ACC - 16
  • Big 12 - 8
  • Big East - 9
  • Big Ten - 10
  • C-USA - 7
  • Independents - 4
  • MAC - 12
  • MWC - 10
  • Pac-12 - 9
  • SEC - 14
  • Sun Belt - 10

Are you saying that either Austin Peay or UMass are now FBS?

Honestly, if the likes of those teams, or W Ky. and Ga. State are FBS, then there should be a rule among the top 6 conferences that none of them should ever be allowed to play an FCS level school. I don't like it that Ohio St. had to schedule the likes of Florida A&M.

Also.....in my opinion, the San Diego St. football program is every bit the equal to if not better than the Vanderbilt football program.

I guess there are a number of schools that have just recently become FBS level....for whatever reason, that one would have always thought should be in the lower level of schools:

South Alabama

Troy St.

Florida International

Florida Atlantic

Georgia St.

Western KY

Louisiana-Lafayette

Idaho

UMass

New Mex. St.

UTEP

UTSA ( Texas San Antonio)

And, apparently in the next several years the following schools are also supposed to make the jump:

Appalachian St.

Georgia Southern

UNC Charlotte

Old Dominion.

You can thank college re-alignment and TV deals, as teams like Rutgers and Maryland move from the aac(formerly big east) and acc the old conferences need to get teams to fill the gaps from somewhere.

I don't know that all conferences need to "fill gaps". Personally I think that an FBS conference should be capped at 12 teams....and that there should be at most 10 conferences.

Right now, there are those 10 conferences:

SEC

Big Ten

Pac-12

Big 12

ACC

AAC

Conf-USA

MAC

Sun Belt

Mountain West

120 teams....max in the division.....but there are already more than that. 122 plus another three or 4 coming in.

OK, I could go along with each conference having either 12 or 14. So give a total max max max of 130 teams.

But...some teams from Conf USA which has16 now need to be shifted.

Or better, shift SMU and Houston now in the AAC back into the Big 12...and shift some of the Conf USA teams into the AAC.

Maryland will be leaving the ACC, so it will drop down to 14, so that is good.

So, maybe the Mountain West, now at 11 could add 1 team....in that regard, something is stupid. Idaho is now an Independent....but is joining the Sun Belt Conf? WTF? Why not join the Mountain West....wit like minded schools, not the Sun Belt.

Stupid

Archived