THE BROWNS BOARD

Julio Jones out for season

Tim Couch Pulls Out

Im trying to think of how to respond to this........................ I got nothing. You're being Retarded

I wouldn't say Julio Jones sucked....but I will say that I still think we got the better part of that deal with ATL. As far as I am concerned Phil Taylor is as good at what he does as Jones is at what he does. Plus throw Weeden in there...and he IS our starting QB. Plus...what else did we get in that trade?

Whoever came up with this idea is an idiot. Why would a 1st place team make this dumb of a move mid-season?

Plus, we probably need to draft a WR in the 1st, even with Gordon on this team. Whoever our QB is going to be needs more weapons.

Why would we draft a #1 WR at that point? We'd have Julio, the guy nearly 95% of this board had Boners for two years ago.

Jones is the #1? Oh OK....I thought he played second fiddle to white.

And Gordon is more talented anyway....worth the risk. No comment on haden being one strike away from a year? Trade him to I presume since you're all about knee jerk reactions based on what ifs....

And Gordon is more talented anyway....worth the risk. No comment on haden being one strike away from a year? Trade him to I presume since you're all about knee jerk reactions based on what ifs....

Haden is not a strike away...

Julio Jones is much more talented than Gordon, honestly. He's completely usurped White as the #1 receiver in ATL.

Julio Jones is much more talented than Gordon, honestly. He's completely usurped White as the #1 receiver in ATL.

I'm not so sure about that. Gordon is definitely faster. White is getting old so sure Jones has passed him but imagine Gordon with a good QB....you got a little taste of it week 3....

He does play second fiddle to White, which is exactly my point.

Let's look at this logically:

-From a physical standpoint, they are nearly identical. At 6'3, 220 lbs, Jones is almost the exact same size as Gordon (6'3, 225). They both run in the 4.3's. Gordon has a 36 inch vertical, while Jones has a 39 inch vertical.

-The Falcons have two #1's on the field and they are costing them a boatload of cap space. Gordon's contract is a quarter of Jones'. No doubt they'd be looking to save money.

-We have the cap space to accomodate.

-Gordon is one strike away from a year suspension. Jones has no strikes (that we're aware of).

- Gordon had a fantastic rookie year, netting 800 yards and 5 TD's, which is 160 yards and 3 TD's short of Jones' worst year.

- The entire Cleveland Browns receiving corps, Gordon included, had 16 TD's last year. Jones himself had 10. As a #2 receiver.

-Lombardi has gone on record saying he was against the Gordon acquisition.

-Thomas Dimitroff and Michael Lombardi worked on the same staff under Belichick in both Cleveland and in New England and are considered to be friends.

-Dimitroff is known as one of the most aggressive GM's in the NFL, participating in at least one NFL Draft Day trade every year he's been in Atlanta. His "win now" mentality is apparent in his trade for an aging Tony Gonzalez and his questionable FA acquisitions of seemingly over the hill veterans in the past few years.

-After the Richardson trade, It's apparent that nobody is safe on our roster.

So, essentially, we'd be trading Gordon for Gordon, but with less to worry about and more to pay. At the end of the day, that's a trade most GM's with the cap space we have would make.

Unfortunately, it's a dumb trade for the Falcons.

As for the Haden comment, he's been in the league for four years. Gordon has been in the league for one. And Haden didn't fail a handful of drug tests in college, either. What are the similarities again?

More thought goes into one of my "kneejerk reactions" than goes into any of your thought-out responses.

Thanks for playing.

He does play second fiddle to White, which is exactly my point.

Let's look at this logically:

-From a physical standpoint, they are nearly identical. At 6'3, 220 lbs, Jones is almost the exact same size as Gordon (6'3, 225). They both run in the 4.3's. Gordon has a 36 inch vertical, while Jones has a 39 inch vertical.

-The Falcons have two #1's on the field and they are costing them a boatload of cap space. Gordon's contract is a quarter of Jones'. No doubt they'd be looking to save money.

-We have the cap space to accomodate.

-Gordon is one strike away from a year suspension. Jones has no strikes (that we're aware of).

- Gordon had a fantastic rookie year, netting 800 yards and 5 TD's, which is 160 yards and 3 TD's short of Jones' worst year.

- The entire Cleveland Browns receiving corps, Gordon included, had 16 TD's last year. Jones himself had 10. As a #2 receiver.

-Lombardi has gone on record saying he was against the Gordon acquisition.

-Thomas Dimitroff and Michael Lombardi worked on the same staff under Belichick in both Cleveland and in New England and are considered to be friends.

-Dimitroff is known as one of the most aggressive GM's in the NFL, participating in at least one NFL Draft Day trade every year he's been in Atlanta. His "win now" mentality is apparent in his trade for an aging Tony Gonzalez and his questionable FA acquisitions of seemingly over the hill veterans in the past few years.

-After the Richardson trade, It's apparent that nobody is safe on our roster.

So, essentially, we'd be trading Gordon for Gordon, but with less to worry about and more to pay. At the end of the day, that's a trade most GM's with the cap space we have would make.

Unfortunately, it's a dumb trade for the Falcons.

As for the Haden comment, he's been in the league for four years. Gordon has been in the league for one. And Haden didn't fail a handful of drug tests in college, either. What are the similarities again?

More thought goes into one of my "kneejerk reactions" than goes into any of your thought-out responses.

Thanks for playing.

But we are 3-2 and tied for first.

3-0 with Gordon.

Who plays WR? Little and Bess.

Why would we want to shitbag this season?

But we are 3-2 and tied for first.

3-0 with Gordon.

Who plays WR? Little and Bess.

Why would we want to shitbag this season?

But we're 0-2 without Gordon. And we'll be without him for an entire season if he fails another drug test.

I like Gordon a lot.

I think he was a great pick up, but if this opportunity presented itself it would be a trade I would take.

This forum is to talk about all things Browns, from hypotheticals to hamstring injuries.

This move makes our team better, for now and for the future.

Nobody is saying shitbag this season but if our season rests solely on one player and that player isn't a franchise QB, you see the predicament that we're in.

I'd rather a 2-14 season this year followed by a run of 10-6 seasons than a 10-6 season this year and a 0-16 season next year when Gordon gets suspended (if or when it happens).

But we're 0-2 without Gordon. And we'll be without him for an entire season if he fails another drug test.

I like Gordon a lot.

I think he was a great pick up, but if this opportunity presented itself it would be a trade I would take.

This forum is to talk about all things Browns, from hypotheticals to hamstring injuries.

This move makes our team better, for now and for the future.

Nobody is saying shitbag this season but if our season rests solely on one player and that player isn't a franchise QB, you see the predicament that we're in.

You seem to be relying heavy on the drug thing .... I think the percentages are with guys not getting the year-ending suspension after they already suspended once.

Going to take the guy with a slim chance of getting suspended over the guy already out injured.

Let's make a run this year while the division is shaky ....

Zombo

You seem to be relying heavy on the drug thing .... I think the percentages are with guys not getting the year-ending suspension after they already suspended once.

Going to take the guy with a slim chance of getting suspended over the guy already out injured.

Let's make a run this year while the division is shaky ....

Zombo

I'm just playing the odds. A guy thrice suspended in college and twice suspended one year into his NFL career will, most likely, be suspended once again.

I hope he never gets suspended and goes on to be an HOFer.

But, heads up, I'd take Jones over Gordon even without the looming suspension.

I'm just playing the odds. A guy thrice suspended in college and twice suspended one year into his NFL career will, most likely, be suspended once again.

I hope he never gets suspended and goes on to be an HOFer.

But, heads up, I'd take Jones over Gordon even without the looming suspension.

Really? You'd take a guy on IR for (and this is the Dayton Ohio talking heads, not the NE Ohio homers) for a healthy guy who's pushing to be in the top 10 NFL WRs? Right now? You're nuts- sorry. Ohhhh he might get suspended. Gordon is not in the same category as Aldon Smith. OTOH, he might be like Cris Carter and wind up in the HOF. I'm old enough to remember the Browns trading away a certain WR for a bust QB- Paul Warfield. Ever hear of him?

Seriously TC, you don't think the Browns have sat Gordon down and told him - one more f**kup, and you're going to be pissing millions of dollars down the toilet? and are doing everything possible to keep him clean?

I'll give you my SW Ohio perspective- I wouldn't swap Gordon for AJ Green, heads up right now. Certainly not for a might be guy next year- and REALLY tank the season. The fans won't (especially this fan) stand for it. We're in first place. Atlanta on their bye, going nowhere fast- with three very winnable games coming up, however- notice the media telling Demtroff to trade Gonzalez back to the Chiefs? Besides the Seahawks and Saints, there's a lot of parity in the NFC right now- but so what? With Matty Ice turning into a pick 6 machine, the Falcons are toast in the playoffs- assuming they get there- with or without a stud #2 to go with Roddy White.

and who's to say jones injury doesn't become a problem in the future? once the injury bug bites a player the injuries tend to linger. yeah jones is great and we did the comparisons, except one is hurt and one is not.

first off atlanta is finished for the year. second they have NO defense. if they traded for gordon to fill in for ONE receiver (is roddy white hurt as well?) with a first round pick they should fire their GM on the spot. the prob with atlanta is they have no lines on either side of the ball, no running game, no speed at linebacker and a worse def. backfield. they should keep white and jones let them heal and draft defense and OL with all their picks they might have and accumulate.

if we trade gordon the fan base will go apeshit period. it's one thing to trade one of our stars who wasn't doing shit for us and then win 3 games in a row after gordon comes back, but then to trade HIM? hell fucking no.

i don't care what'd take to keep this kid straight. a straight up baby sitter or hell, let lombardi piss for him.

look at aldon smith, fucked up major with his drug/alcohol sit., now they find out he had an arsenal of weapons and might be indicted for a shooting outside a night club, with an ak47.

just sayin. weed ain't shit. if we legalized that shit tomorrow we wouldn't have to worry about a debt ceiling and paying off loans to other entities. we are one DUMB fucking nation.

and who's to say jones injury doesn't become a problem in the future? once the injury bug bites a player the injuries tend to linger. yeah jones is great and we did the comparisons, except one is hurt and one is not.

first off atlanta is finished for the year. second they have NO defense. if they traded for gordon to fill in for ONE receiver (is roddy white hurt as well?) with a first round pick they should fire their GM on the spot. the prob with atlanta is they have no lines on either side of the ball, no running game, no speed at linebacker and a worse def. backfield. they should keep white and jones let them heal and draft defense and OL with all their picks they might have and accumulate.

if we trade gordon the fan base will go apeshit period. it's one thing to trade one of our stars who wasn't doing shit for us and then win 3 games in a row after gordon comes back, but then to trade HIM? hell fucking no.

i don't care what'd take to keep this kid straight. a straight up baby sitter or hell, let lombardi piss for him.

look at aldon smith, fucked up major with his drug/alcohol sit., now they find out he had an arsenal of weapons and might be indicted for a shooting outside a night club, with an ak47.

just sayin. weed ain't shit. if we legalized that shit tomorrow we wouldn't have to worry about a debt ceiling and paying off loans to other entities. we are one DUMB fucking nation.

The question isn't whether weed should be legal, however. At the moment it is illegal and If Gordon gets caught again, that's 16 games we don't have him for. I'd really like to not have to go through that.

And I think Dimitroff should be fired on the spot. He makes big time moves every year and none of them really make sense. He traded away his entire draft to get a #2 WR when he already had a very talented and young #1.

It's extremely unlikely that a young, talented receiver doesn't come back from a broken foot. If it were an Achilles tear or an ACL injury or a number of concussions, Id agree with you. But this is a broken foot.

Yes, we are in first this year and it is nice. But we aren't going to make the AFC Championship and we sure as hell aren't going to make the Super Bowl, so I see nothing wrong with planning for sustained success over planning for a one-off playoff year while our division is down.

Yes, we are in first this year and it is nice. But we aren't going to make the AFC Championship and we sure as hell aren't going to make the Super Bowl, so I see nothing wrong with planning for sustained success over planning for a one-off playoff year while our division is down.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one TC. We have one more of the critical pieces of long term success in place- a legit stud #1 WR. It's admittedly a risky one. Great LT? Check. Shut down corner? Check. Studly front 7 defense? Check. All we're missing is the Franchise qb. You can call ME crazy, but put Peyton Manning on this Browns crew, and you could start printing the Super Bowl Tickets.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one TC. We have one more of the critical pieces of long term success in place- a legit stud #1 WR. It's admittedly a risky one. Great LT? Check. Shut down corner? Check. Studly front 7 defense? Check. All we're missing is the Franchise qb. You can call ME crazy, but put Peyton Manning on this Browns crew, and you could start printing the Super Bowl Tickets.

Can you imagine (and it's a big stretch) that Weeden becomes that franchise quarterback?

Then our biggest need next year is another stud WR that we can lineup across from Gordon and we've got two first rounders to find him.

If Weeds gets a 95+ passer rating, we win 11 games and a playoff game ... that's about the only scenario we don't go QB in the first round.

Zombo

yezzir.

i don't get the old adage: "let's break it down to build it back up" bullshit. we have been striving for years to get these pieces in place and when the team finally shows some promise, you want to trade a major piece of that away? GTFO.

sure gordon is a risk. if he fucks up again cut him and be done with it. you don't think the hoyer injury was a total fuck up of a different kind? next man up. i'm sure the FO is thinking the same and knows we need to have another #1 WR but i think they can take care of that in next year's draft.

to trade away gordon would bring a shit storm of locusts around banner and crew like never seen before weeks after they promised they weren't going to shit can the year.

well having gordon on the team is the only legit offensive weapon we got so to trade him would be an outright lie and a slap in every browns fan's face.

I actually mostly agree with you. We have many of the key pieces in order, a stud LT, a solid C, an athletic TE, a great WR, young talent along the line and solid veteran recivers. With a franchise QB and the right RB, we have one of the most talented offenses in the league.

What troubles me is that, without a legitimate #1, this offense looks absolutely awful. If we end up losing Gordon for a season, we might see a terrible year and then panic and begin to "rebuild", when we are so close.

yezzir.

i don't get the old adage: "let's break it down to build it back up" bullshit. we have been striving for years to get these pieces in place and when the team finally shows some promise, you want to trade a major piece of that away? GTFO.

sure gordon is a risk. if he fucks up again cut him and be done with it. you don't think the hoyer injury was a total fuck up of a different kind? next man up. i'm sure the FO is thinking the same and knows we need to have another #1 WR but i think they can take care of that in next year's draft.

to trade away gordon would bring a shit storm of locusts around banner and crew like never seen before weeks after they promised they weren't going to shit can the year.

well having gordon on the team is the only legit offensive weapon we got so to trade him would be an outright lie and a slap in every browns fan's face.

I don't understand.

You're against trading Gordon, but you're for cutting him if he gets suspended?

Why not recoup something for him while we have the chance and rid ourselves of the worry.

Cutting Gordon after a suspension would create a much bigger shitstorm than trading him for an injured Julio Jones.

I don't understand.

You're against trading Gordon, but you're for cutting him if he gets suspended?

Why not recoup something for him while we have the chance and rid ourselves of the worry.

Cutting Gordon after a suspension would create a much bigger shitstorm than trading him for an injured Julio Jones.

no i'm not for trading or for cutting him period. but having him on our roster is a risk just like with any other player i.e. the hoyer injury example.

jones his hurt. gordon is not. we have not had a winning season in years. let this team grow some confidence and gel. let's see if weeden can be the guy. nothing should be determined 5 games in.

just sayin. i don't want to hate on anybody but let's see what this team can do right now. hey do you think gordon's stock will go down because we don't have a QB that can get him the ball? i doubt it. so if we're 8 and 5 and are palying great and have momentum do you just pull the plug or do you go for it?

no i'm not for trading or for cutting him period. but having him on our roster is a risk just like with any other player i.e. the hoyer injury example.

jones his hurt. gordon is not. we have not had a winning season in years. let this team grow some confidence and gel. let's see if weeden can be the guy. nothing should be determined 5 games in.

just sayin. i don't want to hate on anybody but let's see what this team can do right now. hey do you think gordon's stock will go down because we don't have a QB that can get him the ball? i doubt it. so if we're 8 and 5 and are palying great and have momentum do you just pull the plug or do you go for it?

I just don't believe in pulling for one 10-6 season at the behest of sustained success. If going 10-6 and losing in the first round of the playoffs means we miss out on two great players at two positions of need, it's all for naught.

Not that we should tank the season. But having a mediocre to good record this year simply for bragging rights is a bad move.

There's no way you can honestly say you can see this team winning the Super Bowl.

if we can't pick up a franchise QB, another #1 receiver and an OL and CB with all the picks we have next year then something is wrong.

until then let the season play out, naysayer.

superbowl, of course not. but give me a 10 and 6 or even a 9 and 7 season over the subpar .500 seasons we have had of late. that's a win in my book.

I just don't believe in pulling for one 10-6 season at the behest of sustained success. If going 10-6 and losing in the first round of the playoffs means we miss out on two great players at two positions of need, it's all for naught.

Not that we should tank the season. But having a mediocre to good record this year simply for bragging rights is a bad move.

There's no way you can honestly say you can see this team winning the Super Bowl.

They Browns WILL win the Superbowl THIS year. What is wrong with you to doubt that this will come to pass?

Know what TC? Take the wins, worry about the draft position later. Developing a winning attitude is far more important- the good teams go out there on Sunday EXPECTING to win, not hoping to. The Browns major problem in the past has been drafting like shit. You don't need to hit a home run in the first round every time (but the Browns have mostly struck out).

I was going to say the Steelers and Ravens have done a far better job in that regard drafting lower than Cleveland, but I won't, on further research. (Trading up for Knevil Winslow, and letting the Ravens take Ngata while we got stuck with Kameron Wimbley still sucks) However- this little factoid with 20\20 hindsight should get you pretty ill. Once upon a time the Browns drafted David Veikune and Mohammed Massivebust in the second round. Who was still on the board? LeSean McCoy, Phil Loadholt, Sebastian Vollmer, Mike Wallace, & Brian Hartline.

Know what TC? Take the wins, worry about the draft position later. Developing a winning attitude is far more important- the good teams go out there on Sunday EXPECTING to win, not hoping to. The Browns major problem in the past has been drafting like shit. You don't need to hit a home run in the first round every time (but the Browns have mostly struck out).

I was going to say the Steelers and Ravens have done a far better job in that regard drafting lower than Cleveland, but I won't, on further research. (Trading up for Knevil Winslow, and letting the Ravens take Ngata while we got stuck with Kameron Wimbley still sucks) However- this little factoid with 20\20 hindsight should get you pretty ill. Once upon a time the Browns drafted David Veikune and Mohammed Massivebust in the second round. Who was still on the board? LeSean McCoy, Phil Loadholt, Sebastian Vollmer, Mike Wallace, & Brian Hartline.

I wanted Loadholt in that draft quite bad. Hart line, I was iffy on. Vollmer I thought would never amount to more than a big named backup, I was too worried about his size.

The LeSean McCoy thing hurts, though.

Archived