THE BROWNS BOARD

rey highlights

Solon16

Nice interview with Ken Norton and explains some off-the-filed issues...for anyone whose lost a DAD at 18

Knorton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntv0VB7HDgo...=1&index=46

</a> MY FAV....So Explosive...Let see rothlisberger see this twice a year,Palmer and flacco too for that matter

More to come...I know rudy carpenter will never forget him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUxw6fIAPgI watch the explosion

I am beginning to believe the hair is the reason Browns fans don't want rey....I just don't get it....40 years of futility at MLB with the opportunity to get a difference maker at MLB.....but it's too high to pick him??? ....what a load of crap...we do not have the luxury of picking him at 12. picks 5~12 are pretty equal in value IN THIS DRAFT! bite the bullet

Guest Masters

It's not a fact that Rey will be difference maker MLB in the NFL. When there are questions of whether he was even the best LB on his team, it's a big risk to draft Rey at #5. Especially when most scouts are even questioning if he is a 3 down LB.

Guest Masters
Plug him in and he;'ll be a 10 year starter. I got it you don't want rey...do you have to come to my thread and tell me again for the zillionth time?

I'm sorry, when did any thread on a board owned by someone else become yours? Especially after you were just crying in the thread that no one was posting in it. Maybe my response isn't just for you to read in the thread. There is this thing called other posters.

You know my position, but yet you still have to reply to my post? You have how many posts and threads about Rey, and you want to say to me "I get it you don't want Rey"? For christ sake, I could say to you "I get it, you want Rey, do you have to tell me and everyone else for the zillionth time". Pot, the kettle is now on line 2 for you.

I certainly agree with you that he'll likely be a 10 year starter in the NFL. It's his level of impact on the game every Sunday that I question.

I'm sorry, when did any thread on a board owned by someone else become yours? Especially after you were just crying in the thread that no one was posting in it. Maybe my response isn't just for you to read in the thread. There is this thing called other posters.

You know my position, but yet you still have to reply to my post? You have how many posts and threads about Rey, and you want to say to me "I get it you don't want Rey"? For christ sake, I could say to you "I get it, you want Rey, do you have to tell me and everyone else for the zillionth time". Pot, the kettle is now on line 2 for you.

I certainly agree with you that he'll likely be a 10 year starter in the NFL. It's his level of impact on the game every Sunday that I question.

I really absolutely knew you'd say that....absolutely

MY FAV....So Explosive...Let see rothlisberger see this twice a year,Palmer and flacco too for that matter

This is Juice Williams who is a Tad more mobile than Palmer,Flacco and Roth. Rose Bowl+ Rey had three sacks,1 ff and a pick. how's that for playing big in a big game.

Nobody liked the compilation of big hits??? then forget about me digging this shit up again.... Who likes Rey? CHIME IN HERE!

Thanks for the goodies Solon - I adored the highlights of him. I really enjoyed the interviews with Ken Norton Jr and even listening to Rey talk.

I think I said it on another thread but I'd almost like us to explore hiring a LBers Coach like Ken Norton Jr that seems to get alot out of Rey. I think we could even consider hiring Willie McGinest as a LBers Coach if he's hanging up the cleats.

Rey & Curry are my ONLY top 5 choices on defense.

On offense I like Harvin.

- Tom F.

To be honest with you...there isn't a guy at #5 in this whole draft I think is worthy of #5 money other than Crabtree. That being said... any of the guys at #5 could easily be no higher than a #12 in Drafts past. No Value at #5, so why not Rey! I think Curry and Crab are gone but if not they are the choice. Orakpo is intriguing tho....I'm from Austin and have seen more of him than just about anyone here.....He's a beast but my concern is where does he go in the big games?

To be honest with you...there isn't a guy at #5 in this whole draft I think is worthy of #5 money other than Crabtree. That being said... any of the guys at #5 could easily be no higher than a #12 in Drafts past. No Value at #5, so why not Rey! I think Curry and Crab are gone but if not they are the choice. Orakpo is intriguing tho....I'm from Austin and have seen more of him than just about anyone here.....He's a beast but my concern is where does he go in the big games?

I think you hit the nail on the head about Orakpo in the big games. He reminds me of Gholston who had Orakpophobio in big games too. Unfortunately for Gholston the stagefright followed him to the big city.

Crabtree was alot of fun to watch last year. Skip Bayless says he disappears when they play great opponents. He must have missed the Texas game because Crabtree had to haul in an underthrown pass and then break a tackle to score as the seconds expired.

From now until draft day you're gonna read stories like: "Adrian Peterson is a risk. One scout says his shoulder will fall out of the socket if he doesn't have season ending surgery before training camp." Remember that? Do you know why that stuff gets out there? Because teams sitting outside the top 5-10 want players to fall to them. Think about how happy Don Shula was to hear Dan Marino was more interested in cocaine than football. He did his research and got a Hall of Fame QB.

If you asked the masses pre-draft is Ray Lewis a top 5 prospect - guess what you'd hear? "No, you're better off waiting until mid-late first round." He went 26th overall. Thurman Thomas was round 2 behind what the majority of scouts considered better RBs named Sammy Smith and Tim Worley. Our 51-0 holiday in Pittsburgh on opening day gave me fond memories of a RB that couldn't hold onto the football. Sammy Smith was an enormous bust. Then, in other years you get guys like Terrell Davis and Jamal Anderson in round 6. in hindsight, they were better than alot of top 5 picks we've seen. Last year you should have heard the local radio call in shows in Nashville when they drafted Chris Johnson in round 1. Everyone thought they reached and many were pissed they didn't go WR. CJ brought the speed that offense desperately needed and that opened up more optiions for the offense.

Bottom line: you have to have GOOD talent evaluators that are willing to research character, work ethic and LOVE of football. Courtney Brown was a GREAT kid but I never got the impression he LOVED football or wanted to kick anyone's tail. Gerrard Warren was the first player I've seen retire from football before he played his first down. Big Money was All donesy!

When I resided in Upstate, NY during the 80s - people either liked the Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns, or NY Giants. Don't get me wrong, the Steeler fans could be found wearing their 49ers jackets at the time. Anyway, Buffalo was drafting all these no-name kids from no-name schools. Pete Metzlaars played basketball at Wabash State. Don Beebe played WR for Chadron State. Andre Reed played WR for Kutztown State (Division II/III). Mark Kelso went to William and Mary. Steve Tasker played for Northwestern. Will Wohlford went to Vanderbilt. House Ballard from Alabama A&M, Leon Seals from Jackson State, Phil Hanson from North Dakota State Jeff Wright from Central Missouri State. All these guys freakin started or rotated in with starters. The big name glamour picks in round 1 also happened with: Cornelius Bennett (via trade), Shane Conlin, Bruce Smith, and Jim Kelly. But it's all those gems they got from round 2 through the late rounds that made it possible for their stars to shine. That was a team from top to bottom. If Crabtree comes close to the career Andre Reed had - you'd have to say that was a pretty freakin steller top 5 pick.

Again, it's all about having the RIGHT people up at the top researching the personnel choices. Who REALLY knows if someone is a reach or a steal? In hindsight, Tom Brady would have made a terrific #1 overall pick. If I said that the day before he was drafted you would have thought I was another Loverboy going mancrush on a QB.

- Tom F.

I tried to make the same point about Polamalu...he lasted until #16 overall and had almost the Identical (weakness's as Rey) tight hips,over-pursuit, out of position, not a great cover guy....yet he was a head -hunter and went balls out....I know they play different positions but looking back he would be one hell of a top 5 pick. at the time if he was picked #5 people would have screamed and yelled REACH!!!

Guest Masters
I tried to make the same point about Polamalu...he lasted until #16 overall and had almost the Identical (weakness's as Rey) tight hips,over-pursuit, out of position, not a great cover guy....yet he was a head -hunter and went balls out....I know they play different positions but looking back he would be one hell of a top 5 pick. at the time if he was picked #5 people would have screamed and yelled REACH!!!

Saftey vs. ILB. Apples and Bananas when talking about that weakness.

Not really...I would like curry...but I don't think he'll be there....personally think we'll take Orakpo, that is right now.

Do you think Orakpo would make a better pass rushing OLB in our system then Everette Brown or Maybin?

Saftey vs. ILB. Apples and Bananas when talking about that weakness.
Really dude? Can you read? I'm talking about polamalu..."looking back he would be one hell of a top 5 pick. at the time if he was picked #5 people would have screamed and yelled REACH!!!" .......what a block head

Guest Masters
Really dude? Can you read? I'm talking about polamalu..."looking back he would be one hell of a top 5 pick. at the time if he was picked #5 people would have screamed and yelled REACH!!!" .......what a block head

While comparing Rey and Troy's weaknesses coming out. Hence my comment about apples and oranges. Can you read and retain what you type?

It's not a fact that Rey will be difference maker MLB in the NFL. When there are questions of whether he was even the best LB on his team, it's a big risk to draft Rey at #5. Especially when most scouts are even questioning if he is a 3 down LB.

I understand where Masters is coming from. Aloy has many of the same concerns.

IMO, no 2 USC games looked alike. One early game I watched Brian Cushing absolutely stoled the show on defense. Another week I watched, it was the Clay Matthews coming out party (because he wasn't a starter all year and I'm not sure people know this). Another week it was Rey. Against Penn State, Clay Matthews looked like he matured into a combination of his dad and Chip Banks. Now THAT is getting better with experience. Upside? You bet!

I'm a BIG Rey fan because I can't get the impression of 2007 out of my head. First impressions seal the deal alot with me. They're not always RIGHT though. If anyone watches USC's defense thinking there's only going to be 1 tackler on every play, they're going to be greatly disappointed. ALOT of this is because opposing game plans pick different poisons from 1 week to the next. Only Oregon found the solution and I think it was either voodoo or witch craft. Some of those that think Rey is overrated would disagree with me.

Everybody has different taste and perceptions. We've got alot of needs right now so I don't think I'd REALLY complain unless we drafted a corner or TE in the top 5. And if I complained, you know the guy would probably turn out to be a star.

- Tom F.

It's hard to recall, but weren't Ray Lewis's assumed negative and critics over analysing about what is goning on with Rey Malaluga. I'd sure like to see some of Lewis's predraft writeups and see how they match up to what is being said about RM.

Sometimes there is just too much over analysis. You have to look and see if the guy can paly football and does he have a passion to be the best. I see a lot about size, speed, agility and everything else they cn meaure, but the bottom line is can the guy paly football better then someone else.

I'm not saying Rey is my guy, but he has shown he is a football player and can be coached up and has a passion to be successful at the next level.

It's hard to recall, but weren't Ray Lewis's assumed negative and critics over analysing about what is goning on with Rey Malaluga. I'd sure like to see some of Lewis's predraft writeups and see how they match up to what is being said about RM.

Sometimes there is just too much over analysis. You have to look and see if the guy can paly football and does he have a passion to be the best. I see a lot about size, speed, agility and everything else they cn meaure, but the bottom line is can the guy paly football better then someone else.

I'm not saying Rey is my guy, but he has shown he is a football player and can be coached up and has a passion to be successful at the next level.

I looked all over for a 96 mock draft w/ profiles, couldn't find it.

However, this is what Wikipedia has to say about Ray:

The fifth linebacker selected in the 1996 NFL Draft, many scouts considered him to be too small to play linebacker.

So the guy we consider a "thumper" was often considered too small to play the position.

I think it goes to show attitude and work ethic are bigger factors at ilb than the cookie cutter mold.

Archived