THE BROWNS BOARD

Official Browns QB Prospect Discussion!

Shep

Whoa, now! Green Bay let Rodgers come to them? They had Brett Favre!! You're talking about low drafting teams who already have their starter. Even Seattle THOUGHT they had their starter.

Bad teams who don't have an obvious franchise quarterback should never, ever, ever pass on a great quarterback prospect. If ou need a quarterback, every other need is like 20 miles below. "Everything gets easier once you have your quarterback," as Chuckie put it. Or as our whole organization said like 30 times, "You have to get the quarterback."

Now, some years there isn't one worthy of a top 10 pick. Most years there are at least two. This is one of those years where several guys will go in the top half of round one. Maybe 4.

Boyd just went the fuck OFF in the first half. Love watching him. If the Browns can't get to Bridgewater, I really like Boyd a ton. I think I like him better than Mariota.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm high on the Blake Bortles kid.

High, high, high.

He's been playing in the CUSA so I tend to disregard his stats, but last season he tossed 25 TDs to only 8 INTs, and added 8 scores with his legs as well.

At 6'4, 230, he is a physical specimen. He stands tall in the pocket and is one of the rare NCAA QB's who seems just as comfortable under center as he is out of the gun.

His release varies from over the top to three quarters depending on the situation, but it's a quick release and there's little wasted movement.

One of the things I absolutely love is his ability to save plays. On two separate occasions, he's lost control of the ball mid throw, recovered the fumble, evaded the rush and found open receivers down the field (one of which for a TD). He's mobile and evasive, but he's not a runner.

Another quality I think is overlooked is his ability to throw accurate passes despite not having his feet set. This also is a curse.

My big problem with him is his footwork. It's garbage. He routinely falls away from his throws even when the pocket is clean. He sometimes exhibits a hitch in his drop back, most notably when the defense is showing blitz.

The best way I can explain it is that he just gets shit done.

Pro comparison: Ben Roethlisberger

We need to find a QB, not a physical specimen. Does Russell Wilson ring any bells? God I hope we ignore the next workout warrior who runs fast, stands high and can do little else.

If I want to participate in a thread by saying I want a competition battle tested QB, that did it his whole collegiate career, and not a small school workout warrior I will, and that's how this internet thing works and you have to deal.........SIMPLE.

I'm high on the Blake Bortles kid.

High, high, high.

He's been playing in the CUSA so I tend to disregard his stats, but last season he tossed 25 TDs to only 8 INTs, and added 8 scores with his legs as well.

At 6'4, 230, he is a physical specimen. He stands tall in the pocket and is one of the rare NCAA QB's who seems just as comfortable under center as he is out of the gun.

His release varies from over the top to three quarters depending on the situation, but it's a quick release and there's little wasted movement.

One of the things I absolutely love is his ability to save plays. On two separate occasions, he's lost control of the ball mid throw, recovered the fumble, evaded the rush and found open receivers down the field (one of which for a TD). He's mobile and evasive, but he's not a runner.

Another quality I think is overlooked is his ability to throw accurate passes despite not having his feet set. This also is a curse.

My big problem with him is his footwork. It's garbage. He routinely falls away from his throws even when the pocket is clean. He sometimes exhibits a hitch in his drop back, most notably when the defense is showing blitz.

The best way I can explain it is that he just gets shit done.

Pro comparison: Ben Roethlisberger

so find something on the kid and post it. maybe a vid or some stats.

BTW...WTF is the CUSA? continental usa divisions? or a semi-pro league?

don't bust on the bone when you can't show us anything.

i'm always willing and eager to learn something new.

Like Sobo just said this morning Bridgewater is so advanced, even coming off his first so-so game. He's already playing NFL quarterback with his shoulder pump, scanning the field, negotiating a pocket, etc. He gets it right now, today... and he's TWENTY!! Also one of the most All-American Boy Scouts you'll ever see interviewed, total team guy and leader like Wilson.

He's the real deal, a legit #1 overall QB. He'll be ready to play right out of the box. Feel the same way about Boyd. Mariota might need some learnin'.

so find something on the kid and post it. maybe a vid or some stats.

BTW...WTF is the CUSA? continental usa divisions? or a semi-pro league?

don't bust on the bone when you can't show us anything.

i'm always willing and eager to learn something new.

Conference USA. It's where schools like Marshall, East Carolina, and Southern Miss play.

I'm on my phone so I don't know how to embed video, but here's his highlights from this year alone.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IkyK4bLS_as&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DIkyK4bLS_as#

Here's a ridiculous play against Charleston Southern.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7OM4XU94Qgo&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D7OM4XU94Qgo#

If you want battle-tested, he threw for over 350 yards against S.Car with a 70% completion rate and 2 TDs. Against Penn State, he completed

74% of his passes for 288 yards and 3 TDs in a victory.

For a 3rd round prospect, I'd say he has the highest upside.

If we stand pat with our two 1st rounders and don't take a QB because the FO has high hopes on Hoyer, then I'm all for someone like Bortles in rounds 3-5, to see if he can compete, and maybe we strike gold for a very limited investment. Hoyer's performance has really thrown a monkey wrench into the draft because he looked so good in his 2 games for us, but it was only 2 games and not only for us, but basically for his whole career.

I'm split in my own thoughts 50/50 if I want to see us make a big move to get the next Andrew Luck, because I fear we may end up with the next Tim Couch (no offense intended) B)

This team will not stand pat on Hoyer based on two starts, a blown knee, and a 29th birthday next season. I liked him and thought he would only get better but let's not splurt too much here: He's undersized, has a medium arm, and while he's nimble enough won't scare anybody with his legs.

Do I think we could win with him? Yeah. I think he's smart, accurate, gets the ball out fast, has a terrific compact release, and can move around pretty well. Could we win it all? Probably not. Do I think he could give us better QB play than Dalton gives the Bengals? Yes. Do I think he's going to be a Pro Bowler, a guy who gives you a legit chance at home field in the playoffs?

Honestly, no. And for the Browns to "hitch their wagon," he needed to play even better than he was and continue it all year long... and more than anything, stay healthy. Nobody skips QBs in the draft because they have a guy who gave them two nice games at 28 on his fifth team and then had major knee surgery.

The Browns will draft one of the top 3-4 QBs. Bank it. They'll trade up if they need to and that probably includes the other pick which is just fine. We'll take a running back with the highest of our third round picks, perhaps move into late 2. Someone to platoon with Dion and Obie, a guy who can run AND catch, as Daniel Wolf is tweeting about this morning. Tate doesn't meet that.

They love Dion. He'll get a serious chance to break out next year. We'll add a WR pretty high, maybe round 2. Sign a f/a corner with size and probably a RT.

The only QB on the Browns who can prevent a high #1 pick now, ironically, is Weeds.

I'm watching the Oregon-Washington game to see what Mariota is about and I'm not superimpressed. Don't know if it is the routes being called or the defense but it seems like he holds onto the ball for an extended period of time. Luckily he has the legs to get himself out of pressure after holding onto the ball too long. He does have some nice throws.

- I don't think we will do bad enough to get Bridgewater and will only have a chance if we trade up which is going to cost a lot. The asking price is going to be at least what Washington gave St Louis for RGIII.

- Though he has skill and makes things happen I don't want Manziel, don't want the drama.

- We might have a chance at Hundly. I haven't seen him play but everyone seems to be pretty high on him.

- Murray (UGA), McCarron ('Bama) and Mettenberger (LSU) I wouldn't project to be franchise QBs and wouldn't take any earlier than the 3rd round.

You won't be able to get anywhere near Mettenberger or Murray in round 3. They could both easily go in the first round. Last year, maybe top 10. Mettenberger could end up in the top 10 THIS year.

Wow, not impressed with Mariota's day? You guys are a tough crowd!

It's one helluva class. I could see Teddy Football, Tajh, Mariota, Hundley, Mettenberger, and Murray in the first round easily. Murray is making NFL throws, answering all the questions about his arm.

I'm watching the Oregon-Washington game to see what Mariota is about and I'm not superimpressed. Don't know if it is the routes being called or the defense but it seems like he holds onto the ball for an extended period of time. Luckily he has the legs to get himself out of pressure after holding onto the ball too long. He does have some nice throws.

- I don't think we will do bad enough to get Bridgewater and will only have a chance if we trade up which is going to cost a lot. The asking price is going to be at least what Washington gave St Louis for RGIII.

- Though he has skill and makes things happen I don't want Manziel, don't want the drama.

- We might have a chance at Hundly. I haven't seen him play but everyone seems to be pretty high on him.

- Murray (UGA), McCarron ('Bama) and Mettenberger (LSU) I wouldn't project to be franchise QBs and wouldn't take any earlier than the 3rd round.

Nah, Hundley's a Top 3 QB. JAC, OAK, TB, AZ and maybe TEN & PIT will be looking at QBs. If Freeman/Cassel fail, you can add MIN to that list. CLE has won their way out of the blockbuster QBs.

You won't be able to get anywhere near Mettenberger or Murray in round 3. They could both easily go in the first round. Last year, maybe top 10. Mettenberger could end up in the top 10 THIS year.

Wow, not impressed with Mariota's day? You guys are a tough crowd!

It's one helluva class. I could see Teddy Football, Tajh, Mariota, Hundley, Mettenberger, and Murray in the first round easily. Murray is making NFL throws, answering all the questions about his arm.

Calm down, 1\2 of them will bust. Even Bridgewater by all accounts isn't in the Andrew Luck- RG III class. WHO is the UCLA QB? Hundley looks ho-hum.

Calm down, 1\2 of them will bust. Even Bridgewater by all accounts isn't in the Andrew Luck- RG III class. WHO is the UCLA QB? Hundley looks ho-hum.

agreed. watched the QB from mizzou make murray look like shit. bridgewater looks like he's 15. i'll keep looking for that 'one' QB that has me jumping up and down in the first round though.

BTW shep, what's been your draft grade in the last 3 years QB wise?

just askin.

It's an excellent class. We got some QB hatahs in the hizzouse!!

But it's good for the Browns, 'cuz they're looking for one. I really like Hoyer (so does Ryan Clark apparently... yikes), but there's no chance that'll stop the Browns from drafting a QB high up.

After Bridgewater, I'd be looking at Tajh myself.

Nah, Hundley's a Top 3 QB. JAC, OAK, TB, AZ and maybe TEN & PIT will be looking at QBs. If Freeman/Cassel fail, you can add MIN to that list. CLE has won their way out of the blockbuster QBs.

don't be surprised if the giants aren't in that mix.

Guys, that's why the Browns added another first round pick. They said as much. They have a shitload of extra picks to move up in the draft and get their guy. I think everybody knows that's the plan. If it's a secret, it's the worst kept secret in the NFL.

If the Browns have the 14th and 24th picks in the first round, they also have an extra 3rd round pick. Those three can get you up around #5-ish... and they'll still pick in every round.

Plus, in a QB draft this deep, even moving up to 8th would give them a lot of choices. Not everybody's pickin' a QB.

Oakland, Pittsburgh, and Tennessee? Who said that? No, none of those teams will be picking quarterbacks in round 1. Jax, TB, and Cleveland? The obvious three. I'd slot Bridgewater, Mariota, and Boyd in some order.

Guys, that's why the Browns added another first round pick. They said as much. They have a shitload of extra picks to move up in the draft and get their guy. I think everybody knows that's the plan. If it's a secret, it's the worst kept secret in the NFL.

If the Browns have the 14th and 24th picks in the first round, they also have an extra 3rd round pick. Those three can get you up around #5-ish... and they'll still pick in every round.

Plus, in a QB draft this deep, even moving up to 8th would give them a lot of choices. Not everybody's pickin' a QB.

Oakland, Pittsburgh, and Tennessee? Who said that? No, none of those teams will be picking quarterbacks in round 1. Jax, TB, and Cleveland? The obvious three. I'd slot Bridgewater, Mariota, and Boyd in some order.

PIT: might be looking into a Big Ben-less future

OAK: Flynn tanked, Pryor might tank too

TEN: wouldn't shock me, if Locker has some serious long term effects

Plus, you forgot AZ and MIN.

I gotta remember to bookmark this page so when we trade our 2nd and 3rd picks to move up and take boyd and he turns out to be dumber and slower in the pocket than the biggest DA fan in the world (shep) we can just blast it in his face everyday.

yet again i hope he's right. who cares about who's right and wrong just as long as the browns are winning.

HEY we might not even pick QB next year. i think shep would go through the ceiling if that happened.

Archived