THE BROWNS BOARD

Official Browns QB Prospect Discussion!

Shep

Agreed: It always seems like the lines playing in front of Montana, Rodgers, Brady, and Manning are good. No matter who the actual players are. Get it?

Like our line was just horrible and poor, plucky Charlie Frye was getting killed by his shitty line. Then Derek Anderson steps in... line suddenly not so shitty.

Weeden's getting killed and our pricey, highly-drafted line must be overrated. Then Brian Hoyer steps in and the line's just fine.

Guys, we're never gonna Superstar OL our way to a Super Bowl. Let it go. Reboot yourselves. The Browns could take this exact team and win 10 games with really good QB play. Then they could spend all those draft picks and f/a money to upgrade a few other spots and win 13 games.

Considering the Chiefs #1 overall pick has really struggled, let me list all their big offseason moves: Alex Smith. I'm done. They got Eric Barry back from injury, too. Okay, now I'm done. They went from 1-15 to 11-4 by adding Alex Smith.

There. Is. No. Other. Way. The Browns will be relevant if and when they have a top 10-12 quarterback, or one on his way there. Everything else is bullshit.

I love that you made my point with the 2007 Browns. We had the best line in football with Steinbach, Thomas, Fraley and Schaffer. 4 guys started every game and we ran the ball quite well. 2008 comes and we have injuries on the OLine and everything goes to shit.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we say the biggest difference in the Chiefs is they got rid of Krispy Kreme, and hired a real coach? Put Shur-loss in there, they';re still 8-8, and that's being charitable. .

Regarding All-star o-line "Remember the Titans". Never say never Shep. The Falsons & Texans thought they'd be playing in the SB this year- didn't happen. Da Bungles are going to the playoffs with your favorite mediocre qb Andy Dalton. So shades of mediocre Trent Dilfer.

So sure- just draft another Brady or Manning to guarantee long term success. Having a great qb doesn't even guarantee short term success in the NFL anymore- the other pieces, and a fair amount of luck have to fall into place. Guess Brees was a total bum last year without Payton, Rothlisberger, Flacco, Rivers, (and likely) Stafford will be sitting at home watching the playoffs with the Browns. Suddenly Little Manning, Shaub, and Ryan decide to have bad years and having "your guy" don't mean squat.

Dalton has a Jeckyl/Hyde problem. The Bungles are falling apart and the wins they have are when Dalton plays well.

Sure, there are no guarantees in football, but if you want to have the biggest impact on your football team, you prioritize putting the best player you can get at the position that touches the ball for every single offensive play. Stafford sitting at home watching the playoffs is kind of irrelevant, they won more games than the Browns, didn't they? They are relevant in December. Cleveland isn't, and that's because we don't have a good QB. I'll say it for the 100th time, every team in first place in the NFL has had the same QB the whole year, and every team in last place, with one or two exceptions, has had multiple QBs.

The Qb's in this years draft are weak, I said it in week 2 when this shit was started and standing pat now. There are prospects not day 1 must have starters. Even now Bridgewater is second guessing coming out. I have always questioned his size but he seems mentally weak for the NFL and is going to be some teams version of an anorexic Byron Leftwich. Take BPA at position of need with the first and think about one with the second 1st rounder.

I've said it and I'll stand by it: The Bengals can't get to the next level because they have a limited quarterback who dreams of being Alex Smith, the "game manager" who actually DOES go 18 of 19 or 16 of 19 for 3 or 4 TDs and no INTs. To make it work, you have to be nearly perfect (Smith has 6 INTs, lowest in the NFL for full-time starters) AND have a phenomenal back and a terrific defense.

That said, when the playoffs come, your quarterback might have to carry you to some wins. Flacco was the hottest QB in the tourney last year so the 6th seed that stumbled in won it all. The Chiefs are best when they only throw 25 times or less... and that won't get it done against a Denver. Smith will have to put up 350 yards or so. I've seen him attack a defense for a half when it's needed, but I don't know if he can keep up with Manning (for example), and that's coming from a big Alex Smith fan.

I've said it and I'll stand by it: The Bengals can't get to the next level because they have a limited quarterback who dreams of being Alex Smith, the "game manager" who actually DOES go 18 of 19 or 16 of 19 for 3 or 4 TDs and no INTs. To make it work, you have to be nearly perfect (Smith has 6 INTs, lowest in the NFL for full-time starters) AND have a phenomenal back and a terrific defense.

That said, when the playoffs come, your quarterback might have to carry you to some wins. Flacco was the hottest QB in the tourney last year so the 6th seed that stumbled in won it all. The Chiefs are best when they only throw 25 times or less... and that won't get it done against a Denver. Smith will have to put up 350 yards or so. I've seen him attack a defense for a half when it's needed, but I don't know if he can keep up with Manning (for example), and that's coming from a big Alex Smith fan.

I don't think Andy Dalton dreams of being Alex Smith, who has been to as many playoff games as he has ... two ... in five more years.

Dalton has thrown for more yards every year of his career than Smith has ever done once ... so I don't get the "game manager" comparison.

Smith is a game manager, Dalton is more of a risk-taker.

Zombo

BTW, the question keeps coming up: If this Browns brass could go back and redo the 2012 draft, would they take Ryan Tannehill at #4? The answer is: Duh. Yes. Just about anybody would. He's 25, he has 3,600 and 24 TDs, and his team is 8-6 on the verge of the playoffs after beating New England.

Yes, yes, and yes, the GMs who don't have great quarterbacks would say. Of course I'd take him. Banner would, Lombardi would, Chorv would, they all would. And they'd obviously be right.

Biggest leap for QBs usually happens in their third year... and Tannehill is already pretty damn good. But his ceiling is high with a big arm, great wheels, and high IQ (Academic Heisman Finalist). Browns ear-fucked themselves, overthought it. Should've taken Tannehill, then a WR, then Bernard Pierce, then the OL. They drafted like it was 1978.

They would not have had to do that. They would have been better off making the move that I had wanted:

Take another position at #22....be that an OT, OG, LB, DE

and take Nick Foles with our 2d round pick.

They would not have had to do that. They would have been better off making the move that I had wanted:

Take another position at #22....be that an OT, OG, LB, DE

and take Nick Foles with our 2d round pick.

If it's a pissing contest, they're best off going with my move. Trade back and take Stephon Gilmore at 10, take Reiff at 22, take Wilson in the 3rd.

Since my mind has already changed MANY times re QBs in the '14 draft, I'm refraining from further speculation until I see WHO is coming out, how they do in bowls, etc, etc. It's just too damned early to really predict anything yet.

Mike

I really thought hard about making a foreskin joke.

Damn.

I am circumcized, so I don't have a foreskin.

(But that does not mean that on occasion my dick doesn't do my thinking for me)

Note: the above is demonstration why all y'all should leave the pecker jokes to us professionals.

Moving right along...

Weeden's getting killed and our pricey, highly-drafted line must be overrated. Then Brian Hoyer steps in and the line's just fine.

Guys, we're never gonna Superstar OL our way to a Super Bowl. Let it go. Reboot yourselves. The Browns could take this exact team and win 10 games with really good QB play. Then they could spend all those draft picks and f/a money to upgrade a few other spots and win 13 games.

If you are right, why isn't Hoyer leading us to victory right now? Oh... that's right.. he got hurt. As did Campbell... As did Wheezy.

We had really good QB play. It.... Got.... Hurt.... Twice!

We don't need to "superstar OL" our way to a SB... but it would sure be nice to have an OL that can keep our eventual star QB healthy all the way to one.

I'm gonna miss being able to make fun of Weeden...

Some teams are bound to try to salvage him as a back up for a few more years, so you can ween yourself off of him.

... I'm refraining from further speculation until I see WHO is coming out, how they do in bowls, etc, etc. It's just too damned early to really predict anything yet.

Good idea... Will be reviewing and discussing bowl performances though...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreskin

Guys I'm sorry, me included...that if you are circumcised the foreskin is what was removed. So no, there is no foreskin or twoskin lmao if you're circumcised. Great convo.

Do NOT click on the link. There is an actual picture. It will frighten you for years.

Zombo

Do NOT click on the link. There is an actual picture. It will frighten you for years.

For some reason I thought of the movie, "Dune"...

Moving right along...

If you are right, why isn't Hoyer leading us to victory right now? Oh... that's right.. he got hurt. As did Campbell... As did Wheezy.

We had really good QB play. It.... Got.... Hurt.... Twice!

We don't need to "superstar OL" our way to a SB... but it would sure be nice to have an OL that can keep our eventual star QB healthy all the way to one.

Some teams are bound to try to salvage him as a back up for a few more years, so you can ween yourself off of him.

Good idea... Will be reviewing and discussing bowl performances though...

Hoyer got hurt on a roll out on the sideline, hit by an ILB that I believe was in coverage, but I'm not going to look that up to see if it's true. Hardly the line's fault. You can blame the QB coach for not teaching him how to slide.

Weeden was never really hurt. It was all a ruse to protect whatever trade value he has.

Campbell's injuries are legitimately blamed on OL play,

But we honestly can't superstar our way to the SB. Once again, Denver's patchwork line is one of the best in the NFL at the moment.

Do we need a better OL? Yes. We could stand to pick up a solid RT, move Schwartz inside and pick up another solid G. But we don't need to invest high picks in that. The highest pick maybe being a second rounder and that's a big maybe.

Regardless of what we do on the line, we need to address QB first and foreskin.

So... if the foreskin if removed, doesn't that just

make the backskin the foreskin, only less of it?

And how does that determine which qb the Browns

should draft next year?

This is all so confusing.

Next time I have a dr appt, I'll have to get all this answered,

and I'll report back.

Though, that may not be to much before the draft...

So... if the foreskin if removed, doesn't that just

make the backskin the foreskin, only less of it?

And how does that determine which qb the Browns

should draft next year?

This is all so confusing.

Next time I have a dr appt, I'll have to get all this answered,

and I'll report back.

Though, that may not be to much before the draft...

Interesting. If you're circumcised, and you tuck it between your legs, is that considered a vagina? Lol if you are circumsised you no longer have foreskin. I wonder if Manziel is circumcised???

Archived