THE BROWNS BOARD

Official Browns QB Prospect Discussion!

Shep

Vikings will definitely draft a QB if they arent the buyers on Freeman. You may also see the Bucs in there if Glennon doesn't show some promise. Its hard to say on the Eagles, Vicks getting older but can still make plays, they just drafted Barkley and they have Foles. The Raiders just drafted Wilson to put behind Pryor. I could see the Cardinals, Rams, Titans, Chargers, and hell maybe even the Texans getting in on the action as well.

Oakland cut Tyler Wilson a while back.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I definitely missed this, turns out he was cut, went through waivers and was re-signed to the Raiders practice squad.

Yeah, it wasn't exactly headline news. I was wondering why it was just a two-way camp battle between Pryor and Flynn for the starting job, why Wilson wasn't involved, so checked it out.

Manziel's definitely coming out. I kinda think Hundley will because he'll get a top 10 grade and doesn't really have a chance to "go back to win it all" at UCLA. But I do think Mariota will stay in because he has to get that completion percentage up to 65 or it's gonna drop him a bit. An athletic QB who completes in the 50s kinda scares scouts.

I was looking at Hoyer's college stats. He had that really promising junior year and then sucked ass as a senior. Wonder if he was on a really bad team.

Manziel's definitely coming out. I kinda think Hundley will because he'll get a top 10 grade and doesn't really have a chance to "go back to win it all" at UCLA. But I do think Mariota will stay in because he has to get that completion percentage up to 65 or it's gonna drop him a bit. An athletic QB who completes in the 50s kinda scares scouts.

I was looking at Hoyer's college stats. He had that really promising junior year and then sucked ass as a senior. Wonder if he was on a really bad team.

No way Manziel stays in college, but probably because he just wants the money. He just screams Ryan Leaf, talented though he may be, I'd be very scared if we took him.

Let me hold on to the best-case scenario, at least until next Thursday. Hoyer proves to be the man. So with two picks between 14-24 we get a WR (Texas A&M - Evans) and a CB (1 of the 2 Fla. guys - the guy least likely to have legal problems). We draft Hogan or McCarron in round 2-3. With the exception of a blocking TE/H-back/FB and a safety, the rest of our draft is building the OL. I'm hoping with Lewis back, Rainey and a FA plugger (or real best-case, Tate), we don't need to draft a RB unless our board really says so in rounds 4-7.

Hoyer's the starter for 2014. (Over-simplifying) Division champ/postseason - Hoyer continues as the starter for 2015, 8-8, 9-7 - QB competition for preseason 2015, Hoyer craps out - Hogan/McCarron is the starter after a redshirt year.

Hoyer being great would be mana from Heaven. We'll see. I'd agree that the needs are WR, right-side blocker, RB, CB... I think that's it. Team really wanted Vance McDonald so they might want a second TE for 12 formations.

But holy crap, we could easily end up with like 5 picks in the first two rounds with just a little maneuvering and we're almost compelled to sign 3-4 top shelf free agents (by the CBA and the fact that we have more cap than anybody else as of today). You're talking about 9 REALLY meaningful additions in one offseason, guys who should start or at least contribute.

Assuming Gordon continues to greatness, we'll be looking for a starting #2 WR so I doubt that's gonna be a first round thing. I could be wrong.

Wow, do I disagree with you on Bridgewater. Not sure what you're talking about. He's missing basically nothing.

His release point is a little low and he's not the tallest QB so that may be a problem. He's releasing the ball at or below his ear on most throws.

But hey, that's coachable.

His release is still very quick. He still has good eyes and feet. He still puts up video game numbers (albeit against lesser competition).

I think it's on record that I have a giant draft boner for this guy.

Wow, do I disagree with you on Bridgewater. Not sure what you're talking about. He's missing basically nothing.

His release point is a little low and he's not the tallest QB so that may be a problem. He's releasing the ball at or below his ear on most throws.

But hey, that's coachable.

His release is still very quick. He still has good eyes and feet. He still puts up video game numbers (albeit against lesser competition).

I think it's on record that I have a giant draft boner for this guy.

Man, if Hoyer could become a legitimate starting QB, we would be set to win big next year. Can you imagine, a top QB, with a combination of Lewis and Ben Tate in the backfield, with Gordon, Cameron, and probably 3-4 of our 1st-3rd round picks going on offense? Pick up another WR, play with Gordon, Cameron, Bess, WR2. Benjamin moves to basically exclusively kick returns and specific plays involving him. Then we get a top guard (or two?) for the O-Line - assuming schwartz picks up and plays like he did in the second half of last year. Then we get what is basically a luxury pick to spend on someone that could be really explosive, like a Tavon Austin or Geovanni Bernard from this year. You get a CB2 with on of those defense picks, skrine moves to the nickel, maybe we pick up a safety, if Gipson doesn't work out or Ward gets cut.

It all starts with Hoyer (or someone) proving they can be a quality QB.

Yeah, it wasn't exactly headline news. I was wondering why it was just a two-way camp battle between Pryor and Flynn for the starting job, why Wilson wasn't involved, so checked it out.

Man I was really high on Wilson for the 2012 draft before he decided to finish school. After his ababysmal 2012 season I was still high on him as a sleeper pick because of the coaching situation at arkansas and the crap oline he had. I woulda bet 100 bucks he was gonna end up the starter before the season eas over out there in Oakland.....wonder what's up with him, does he have small hands or something?

Man, if Hoyer could become a legitimate starting QB, we would be set to win big next year. Can you imagine, a top QB, with a combination of Lewis and Ben Tate in the backfield, with Gordon, Cameron, and probably 3-4 of our 1st-3rd round picks going on offense? Pick up another WR, play with Gordon, Cameron, Bess, WR2. Benjamin moves to basically exclusively kick returns and specific plays involving him. Then we get a top guard (or two?) for the O-Line - assuming schwartz picks up and plays like he did in the second half of last year. Then we get what is basically a luxury pick to spend on someone that could be really explosive, like a Tavon Austin or Geovanni Bernard from this year. You get a CB2 with on of those defense picks, skrine moves to the nickel, maybe we pick up a safety, if Gipson doesn't work out or Ward gets cut.

Hakeem Nicks and Jeremy Maclin are set to be free agents and may actually hit the market due to injury concerns. And even if Hoyer has a decent year we should still take a QB in the second round or later. If that's the case we should go CB-OLine with our first rounders.

Man I was really high on Wilson for the 2012 draft before he decided to finish school. After his ababysmal 2012 season I was still high on him as a sleeper pick because of the coaching situation at arkansas and the crap oline he had. I woulda bet 100 bucks he was gonna end up the starter before the season eas over out there in Oakland.....wonder what's up with him, does he have small hands or something?

I think the knock was that he was really struggling to pick up the offense, but I don't remember now...

Found a lengthy-ish article about it:

Once training camp opened in August, every bad habit Wilson developed at Arkansas returned and then some. He struggled picking up the offense. Wilson was more accurate throwing to defenders than receivers. He quickly fell to fourth on the depth chart behind Flynn, Pryor and undrafted free agent Matt McGloin.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1760633-why-does-nobody-seem-to-want-tyler-wilson

This team needs playmakers WAY more than a 2nd corner!! Yes, we need a 2nd corner but not in the first round.

We should've signed one of the free agents. I'd get a priority free agent there or use a 2nd round pick. It's just SO rare to find a team that drafted both of their corners in round one, mostly because they aren't allowed to cover.

Hell, I'd draft a RG before a #2 corner. Or a RT and move Schwartz in.

This team needs playmakers WAY more than a 2nd corner!! Yes, we need a 2nd corner but not in the first round.

We should've signed one of the free agents. I'd get a priority free agent there or use a 2nd round pick. It's just SO rare to find a team that drafted both of their corners in round one, mostly because they aren't allowed to cover.

I'd love to see one more playmaker on the team - with Cameron and Gordon, we're almost set. A solid running game with those two and A.N. Other and we are looking hot.

yep. just like we did last year.

CB #1 and OL #2. only way to fill the obvious holes (if you had a TV you might be able to see).

yep. just like we did last year.

CB #1 and OL #2. only way to fill the obvious holes (if you had a TV you might be able to see).

We will either pick up a CB or a WR in FA if not both. I'd also say we will snag a guard in FA. That would free us up to draft for depth and not have to force these rooks into action. BPA should be what were after if Hoyer looks sevicable. And hell even if Hoyer miraculously makes the pro bowl we should still consider a QB.

It's just not the way smart personnel guys are building defenses, Tox... and Horton is at the extreme end of that spectrum. He doesn't value corners very high, didn't even bother to sign his own guy on the cheap (Toler). And remember that those 132 free agent #2 corners we didn't sign had all been drafted in rounds 3 and 4 four years ago.

When you have Joe Haden, you don't draft a corner in round one to cover the opponent's second best receiver. It's horrible value. There's nothing he can do better than, oh... Greg Toler... to make you win more games.

Don't get me wrong: I don't think we did enough at corner in the offseason. But using a first round pick on a second best corner would be bizarre in a league that doesn't let them cover. It's about the pass rush.

The Browns have a #1 and a very high quality nickel (Skrine). They have a rook in McFadden who is likely to be a much better player next season. They have Owens, who seems to suck ass with G-force, at least so far. What they need is a #2 corner, basically the kind of guy they didn't sign in free agency last go round.

If they want to buy really high, they could draft one in round 2. Yes, that would be unusually high for your second highest drafted corner. Say, a guy with size like Marcus Roberson (Florida, 6', 195).

Is Milliner still in the league, BTW? Where did he go?

BTW, Tox, Browns are ranked 11th in passing yards allowed and 13th in DPR (high 70s). Pass defense has been very good and will get even better as players settle into Horton's system.

If you think our biggest problem is pass defense... yikes, man. Get that TV!! Until Hoyer, it was all about the offense. We need to score more points.

aren't you missing one of our most glaring weaknesses? a cb to play across from haden?

if hoyer pans out i'd go WR OL then CB.

everything else would be candy. maybe add another S that can hit and tackle.

Caught some of Taj's act yesterday... Some good... some great... some meh... some ugh...

As for our CB...

I thought Roby got schooled last nite by a real WR, Abbrederis. Draft Scout still has Jared ranked as the #5 WR and going in the 3-4 round area, but after last nite he has an up arrow next to his name. I want him... Looks Wes Welkerish to my eye...

Tajh was "All American of the Day" by ESPN or somebody. Had a very big day, probably got back up into the top half of round one. Dude certainly has a big arm and a pretty release.

You've said the same about Wheezy...

Tajh made some questionable decisions...

I'll keep watching, but I am far from sold...

Just read one mock draft that had us taking Marcus Mariota and De'Anthony Thomas from Oregon with our two 1st round picks. I doubt we will go after RB in the 1st round again, especially if we get Tate. Adding the two Oregon Duck players would definitely add a ton of speed to our team. I have watched some video on Mariota and am unsure how his skills will translate to the next level.

Just read one mock draft that had us taking Marcus Mariota and De'Anthony Thomas from Oregon with our two 1st round picks. I doubt we will go after RB in the 1st round again, especially if we get Tate. Adding the two Oregon Duck players would definitely add a ton of speed to our team. I have watched some video on Mariota and am unsure how his skills will translate to the next level.

I really don't understand how anyone at the Bleacher Report has a job. First off they have us picking 3rd(they make no mention of a trade to move up) and 15th(Colts Pick) and have us taking a 5'9" 176lb running back with that pick.

I do not know how Mariota skills will translate to the NFL but I can say this .........good luck naming one decent offensive player from Oregon in the NFL now.

gftChris, on 27 Sept 2013 - 5:20 PM, said:snapback.png

aren't you missing one of our most glaring weaknesses? a cb to play across from haden?

if hoyer pans out i'd go WR OL then CB.

everything else would be candy. maybe add another S that can hit and tackle.

Nope, not missing it...

I really don't understand how anyone at the Bleacher Report has a job. First off they have us picking 3rd(they make no mention of a trade to move up) and 15th(Colts Pick) and have us taking a 5'9" 176lb running back with that pick.

I do not know how Mariota skills will translate to the NFL but I can say this .........good luck naming one decent offensive player from Oregon in the NFL now.

not sure where your going with this but that school puts out alot of talent.

tj ward?

Haloti Nagta?

not sure where your going with this but that school puts out alot of talent.

tj ward?

Haloti Nagta?

I know nothing about oregon, but I do know those are D players and Gip was talking about O players. And there endeth my contribution...

Archived