THE BROWNS BOARD

Official Browns QB Prospect Discussion!

Shep

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lombardi loves arm talent. This is the top arm in the Draft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E368v-Ao-lA

While Carr looked good there, that almost as much a Davonte Adams highlight reel as a Carr highlight reel.

One thing I noted about Carr in this is that I rarely saw him look away from his primary target.

Regardless of the competition (he gets his shot at USC), Carr's arm talent is elite. If you want someone who literally can make every NFL throw with zip AND has great mobility AND didn't just tear his ACL, it's Carr.

He has to avoid falling on his face against the Trojans, where his team will be fairly overmatched, and in the Senior Bowl. If he shows up well at both, he's lock top 3 or 4.

Mik, we don't have many openings at key positions (pass rusher, #1 or #2 receiver, left tackle, #1 corner). On defense, we don't really have any openings at all and now Jordan Poyer is looking like a find (for big corner or FS if Gipson moves to SS). On offense, we basically add Dion Lewis, Travis Benjamin, Chris Faulk, and Jason Pinkston.

Like Grossi said, it's QB and WR (our third option, really)... then "everything else." The only really clear need in the "everything else" category is a bellcow type RB. Wouldn't mind an upgrade at RT and let Schwartz compete with all the others (Greco, Lauvao, Pinkston, Faulk) for the two starting guard spots. But those aren't high ticket items.

Not many offseasons have been clearer: It's about the QB. If this same team had a top 15 QB, Carlos Hyde, and maybe the Penn State or Wisconsin WR? 10 wins and up. We have 10 picks and the most cap space in the entire NFL and a really good core of young talent.

i'm just arguing the fact that we don't have to use any of our other picks to move up for any QB.

we could trade for mallet or how about just sit there at 6 and pick the BQB available?

then we have plenty of picks to draft our other needs.

Three Reasons Why the Cleveland Browns Must Acquire Johnny Manziel in the 2014 NFL Draft

ycn_icon.png
By Shaun Heidrick20 hours ago

COMMENTARY | The Cleveland Browns need to inject some life into their moribund quarterback situation.

For 15 seasons, Browns fans have had to watch their team put up losing year after losing year, primarily because Cleveland has never had a franchise quarterback since returning to the NFL in 1999. Tim Couch was supposed to be that guy, but he never panned out, and the quarterback position has been a revolving door of forgettable signal-callers ever since.

Luckily for the Browns, the quarterback that could solve all of their problems at that position could fall right into their laps in the 2014 NFL Draft.

That player would be Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel.

Manziel, who was the first freshman ever to win the Heisman Trophy when he did so back in 2012, is likely headed to the NFL after his sophomore season with the Aggies. Manziel is projected in most mock drafts to be selected somewhere between fifth and 15th, which is likely right around where the Browns record in 2013 will put them in next years draft.

A polarizing figure if there ever was one, Manziel regardless is the player the Browns need to take their offense to the next level, and these are three reasons why:

Manziel's Confidence Is Just What The Browns Need

While Manziel's sometimes cocky demeanor has seen him get blasted in the media several times over the last two years, the swagger he possesses is something that has not been seen in a Browns quarterback for a very long time. You likely would have to go all the way back to Bernie Kosar to find a Cleveland quarterback that was on par with Manziel from a confidence standpoint. We all know how well Kosar fared during his days with Cleveland, so that makes me optimistic that Manziel could succeed with the Browns, even though he might ruffle some feathers along the way.

Manziel's Ability To Rush The Football Would Alter Cleveland's Offense For The Better

With an average of just 84.3 rushing yards per game in 2013, the Browns have one of the worst ground games in the NFL this season. Having Manziel on board would likely change Cleveland's rushing attack for the better. Though Manziel is nowhere close to the 1,410 rushing yards he gained in 2012, he still has a respectable 686 yards on the ground this year while averaging 5.4 yards per carry. Just having a player like Manziel in Cleveland's backfield would force opposing defenses to respect the run a little more, which would in turn open up the passing game in a major way.

The Browns Won't Have To Throw Manziel Into The Fire

A big reason for the woes of the quarterbacks Cleveland has drafted over the last 15 years is that none of them were able to sit back and absorb the Browns' offense in the way that Aaron Rodgers was able to with the Green Bay Packers. Instead Couch, Charlie Frye, Colt McCoy, and Brandon Weeden all made starts in their rookie seasons for one reason or the other, which only served to kill their confidence as they were picked apart on a weekly basis. With the Browns likely returning two decent quarterbacks - Jason Campbell and Brian Hoyer - next season, Manziel would have the rare luxury of being able to fully learn Cleveland's sophisticated passing offense before taking over the reins in 2015 or beyond.

Shaun Heidrick is a Yahoo Contributor who has followed the Cleveland Browns for over 25 years.

Dear Shaun,

Perhaps you "followed" them, but please stop. The cockiness

you describe, is a two edged sword. Good and bad. I'd prefer a -confident- qb, with more fire for winning the game, than

fire off the field to be a showboat most of the time.

. Kosar and Sipe were never cocky bigshots who got into controversies off the field. Bill Nelson wasn't.

Your first "reason" is way off-base.

Your third "reason", is invalid. Any qb would benefit by not having to be thrown into the mix. Some qb's

can step in, it's a tough challenge, but to a point, they can be successful, with the right talents, if

they have the right cast of offensive players around them.

There are other qb's who can rush very, very well in this draft. That's your #2 "reason". Yes, his scrambling

is amazing to watch... except he's short, and RGIII is quite a rusher...but he got hurt as many of them do.

And it's a team game. Have you noticed, that RGIII got hurt, came back, and the Redskins still foundered,

and hopefully, their coach gets sacked? You think Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are bigtime rushers?

It's far better to have a qb who can make excellent decisions, with a strong arm to make all the throws accurately,

into tight windows, who is fiery about WINNING. The pro game requires that far, far more than college.

I don't know that Manziel is up to the task.

Good luck to you, being a "Browns contributor" to Yahoo. But you seem to have a bitter agenda and

your conclusions only reflect that, to me. Have a nice day

thank god you are not anywhere near the browns' FO.

you ever think of all the other positions we need to fill or upgrade?

problem solved. thanks butch.

Well....if these guys (Carr/Davonte Adams) are who he thinks they are....they could possibly fill 2 big priorities: QB/WR.

Yea, there are other positions that need filled, upgraded: OG/RB/ILB.....but those 2 positions....if filled by those 2 guys....and if they worked out....could be a good thing.

Regardless of the competition (he gets his shot at USC), Carr's arm talent is elite. If you want someone who literally can make every NFL throw with zip AND has great mobility AND didn't just tear his ACL, it's Carr.

He has to avoid falling on his face against the Trojans, where his team will be fairly overmatched, and in the Senior Bowl. If he shows up well at both, he's lock top 3 or 4.

Mik, we don't have many openings at key positions (pass rusher, #1 or #2 receiver, left tackle, #1 corner). On defense, we don't really have any openings at all and now Jordan Poyer is looking like a find (for big corner or FS if Gipson moves to SS). On offense, we basically add Dion Lewis, Travis Benjamin, Chris Faulk, and Jason Pinkston.

Like Grossi said, it's QB and WR (our third option, really)... then "everything else." The only really clear need in the "everything else" category is a bellcow type RB. Wouldn't mind an upgrade at RT and let Schwartz compete with all the others (Greco, Lauvao, Pinkston, Faulk) for the two starting guard spots. But those aren't high ticket items.

Not many offseasons have been clearer: It's about the QB. If this same team had a top 15 QB, Carlos Hyde, and maybe the Penn State or Wisconsin WR? 10 wins and up. We have 10 picks and the most cap space in the entire NFL and a really good core of young talent.

Yea, the level of competition he played at is not big of a concern to me. After all, Ben R. played at Miami Oh. Romo at E. Illinois, Flacco at Delaware, Alex Smith at Utah, Keesum at Houston, Kaepernick at Nevada-Reno,.

I mean, a Fresno St. QB won a SB: Trent Dilfer.

That is NOT an issue with me.

On Manziel.....let's put it this way, if the Browns took him, it would not bother me much.

A . He does play the hell out of the QB position. If his size is an issue then we can look to Russell Wilson and Drew Brees and say "yes, a guy that size can do it".

B. As for his firey personality......who here can say that the Browns can't use something like that?

C. His presence here would bring a lot of attention. Then the national media can drool over the Browns the way the do over RGIII.

If Manziel is the direction the Browns FO would want to go....then all of the above is the positive spin I would put on their decision.

Arm talent is all well and good (Brandon Weeden has arm talent, too), but I want to know about his brain talent. Does he make good decisions? Is he calm under pressure? Does he understand the system and is he a quick study? Can he read the defense before the snap? Nobody keeps statistics on this kind of stuff, but IMO it is more important than arm talent. So what do we know about Carr when it comes to brain talent? Maybe we should be looking at his grades.

I think the reason there are so many QB bust picks is because people don't pay enough attention to brain talent.

Arm talent is all well and good (Brandon Weeden has arm talent, too), but I want to know about his brain talent. Does he make good decisions? Is he calm under pressure? Does he understand the system and is he a quick study? Can he read the defense before the snap? Nobody keeps statistics on this kind of stuff, but IMO it is more important than arm talent. So what do we know about Carr when it comes to brain talent? Maybe we should be looking at his grades.

I think the reason there are so many QB bust picks is because people don't pay enough attention to brain talent.

I have said it before, if arm talent was all that mattered then we probably would have had the same starting QB here since 2007....one Mr. Derek Anderson. But, alas, as you said....the brain power was missing there.

I have said it before, if arm talent was all that mattered then we probably would have had the same starting QB here since 2007....one Mr. Derek Anderson. But, alas, as you said....the brain power was missing there.

When people ask who the elite QBs in the league are, you usually here Manning, Brady, Rodgers, and Brees. Three of these four are the most intelligent QBs in the game.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1719664-who-are-the-smartest-qbs-in-the-nfl-today

I researched Carr, and in an scouting report written before this season, they said things that made me think of Weeden, namely:

1. Big arm

2. Stares down receivers

3. Doesn't go through progressions

Has he shown different this year? I honestly haven't watched much film on him. If this stuff is still true of him, I'm starting to think I don't want any part of him. I'm much less enamored with this QB draft class than I was a month ago, and am starting to think that unless they can get Bridgewater, they ought to pick a smart QB with good-enough arm talent (AJ McCarron maybe) in the third round and develop him.

When people ask who the elite QBs in the league are, you usually here Manning, Brady, Rodgers, and Brees. Three of these four are the most intelligent QBs in the game.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1719664-who-are-the-smartest-qbs-in-the-nfl-today

I researched Carr, and in an scouting report written before this season, they said things that made me think of Weeden, namely:

1. Big arm

2. Stares down receivers

Has he shown different this year? I honestly haven't watched much film on him. If this stuff is still true of him, I'm starting to think I don't want any part of him. I'm much less enamored with this QB draft class than I was a month ago, and am starting to think that unless they can get Bridgewater, they ought to pick a smart QB with good-enough arm talent (AJ McCarron maybe) in the third round and develop him.

Tell us how McCarron is truly any better of a prospect than Greg McElroy was?

Other than his hot chick main squeeze.

1. Big arm

2. Stares down receivers

Be careful, some people have ridiculous love affairs with Carr.

http://factoryofsadness.sportsblog.com/post/217258/201_nfl_draft_qb_scouting.html

I've been watching film of this year (Carr) and it's pretty fantastic. What I've read is that he's shown a lot of growth as a technician and decision maker this year (he's never turned the ball over). And also he's a more mature leader, partially from having a kid and getting married.

How smart is he? That I don't know yet but I'm a huge fan of smart at quarterback. You definitely don't have to sell me on that one. If I read that Carr's dim, I'll bail. It doesn't work.

Be careful, some people have ridiculous love affairs with Carr.

http://factoryofsadness.sportsblog.com/post/217258/201_nfl_draft_qb_scouting.html

From that link:

"The biggest concern regarding Carr is what goes on in between his ears. Carr suffers from the same syndrome that many other first round busts suffered from (including his brother, David): mechanical breakdown in the face of pressure. When faced with a blitz, Carr tends to drop the ball below his shoulders and take his eyes off his downfield reads. "

From that link:

"The biggest concern regarding Carr is what goes on in between his ears. Carr suffers from the same syndrome that many other first round busts suffered from (including his brother, David): mechanical breakdown in the face of pressure. When faced with a blitz, Carr tends to drop the ball below his shoulders and take his eyes off his downfield reads. "

I agree. I think Carr has more problems than people are letting on. I don't want to see us touch him, at least not when people are predicting him to go.

I'm not enthralled with this year's draft class. There's two that I would like to see us get, but Carr isn't one of them.

If you're picking between Carr and Manziel, I would take Johnny in a heartbeat. People that have been around him says he's got

football inteligence. He will be able to change plays, and will learn quickly that he can't out run NFL talent and has the fire that we

haven't seen since Kosar. There are other picks out there that are ok, but Carr isn't one of them.

1. Big arm

2. Stares down receivers

Carr was nowhere near the QB in 2012 as he has been in 2013. He played the entire 2012 season with an abdominal tear, and was it was visible as he would be jumpy in the pocket, throw off his back foot often, and throw it to the primary receiver a lot. In 2013, he stands strong in the pocket, goes through his progressions well, and steps through all his throws, even providing nice touch at times. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes #1.

Yes. Most quarterbacks have thrown 60 yard passes while under zero pressure to wide open receivers.

How about this one? Looks like a ton of pressure and he doesn't even step into the throw. That thing is thrown on a rope from about the 17 and ends up near the 20 yard line. That's about 63 yards in the air.

carrthrow3.gif

Archived