THE BROWNS BOARD

Official Browns QB Prospect Discussion!

Shep

David Fales is absolutely going off on Minnesota right now, on the road. Derek Carr had a monster night last night.

Bridgewater

Boyd

Mariota (anybody see ANYTHING wrong with him?)

Hundley

Fales

Carr

McCarron

Who else is in the sweepstakes? It looks like one of those years when 3-4 guys will go in round one... except that only a few teams clearly need their Guy (Browns, Jax, maybe Oakland?).

EDIT: Good place to start...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/QB

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched a 15 minute highlight reel of Marcus Mariota.

He definitely has big play ability. However a lot of his passes were to wide open players which is either a result of playing a poor opponent or Oregon being that much faster than their opponent. In the video he displayed excellent field awareness, multiple times he would run and draw the defender off of the receiver but at the last second, before crossing the Line of Scrimmage, he would then pass to that receiver. He has the arm strength to throw downfield as well as accuracy to throw to any spot.

I have yet to watch video on Tahj Boyd, Fales, Carr or Hundley so my tentative rankings from what I have seen is;

1- Bridgewater

2- Mariota

3- McCarron

4- Manziel

I watched some stuff on Hundley & saw a LOT of dink & dunk throws.

Mariota is one I REALLY like...While his receivers may be wide open, he hits 'em in stride, he's mobile with good size & smart. What's NOT to like?

Another I like in the little I've seen is Hogan of Stanford.

All 3 of the above are redshirt Sophomores & may not declare after this year.

All this QB talk seems premature, but does give us something else to watch for on Saturdays.

Mike

Watching games this weekend, I like:

1. Bridgewater

2. Carr

3. Mariotta

4. Fales

5. Kevin Hogan - Stanford

6. Murray

7. Boyd

8. McCarron

9. Manziel

10. Mettenberger

Stephen Morris (Mia FL) and Bryn Renner (UNC) were also pretty good...

Didn't see Hundley play.

It will be interesting to see what happens with these guys as the season goes on, and they continue develop and/or regress...

Bridgewater is really ranked #1? Wow.

I've watched him only one time, against Kentucky, but I have to say he looks like a future dink and dunker in the NFL. Saw him miss many downfield throws in that game to receivers who had beaten their guy. He seemed very inaccurate to me beyond 15 yards which makes me doubt his effectiveness at the next level.

Unfortunately, Lombardi is a football magazine kinda analyst so Bridgewater probably is our next QB.

Has anybody on the board seen a lot of Bridgewater? Any opinions other than the talking heads?

So far McCarron is atop my list, but yet to see Hundley or Fales...

David Fales is absolutely going off on Minnesota right now, on the road. Derek Carr had a monster night last night.

Bridgewater - Boyd - Mariota - Hundley - Fales - Carr - McCarron

EDIT: Good place to start...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/QB

CBS takes it's list from here... http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/probe.php?genpos=QB&draftyear=2014&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC

Visually less appealing, but more informative.

We could probably get Kenny guiton in the fourth round. I'm only half joking.

Guyton has impressed me as well. Great poise and has made some ridiculously acurate passes. That said the Bucks still haven't played anyone.

Derek Carr looked great last night. Looks to have the potential to be a good NFL QB. Keep an eye on him.

Big numbers to be sure, but I did not see great. Decent size and nice poise, but I saw a questionable arm and some very wobbly throws.

Bridgewater is really ranked #1? Wow.

I've watched him only one time, against Kentucky, but I have to say he looks like a future dink and dunker in the NFL. Saw him miss many downfield throws in that game to receivers who had beaten their guy. He seemed very inaccurate to me beyond 15 yards which makes me doubt his effectiveness at the next level.

Unfortunately, Lombardi is a football magazine kinda analyst so Bridgewater probably is our next QB.

Has anybody on the board seen a lot of Bridgewater? Any opinions other than the talking heads?

I haven't seen much of him either, but I'm not sold. I saw pretty much what you did.

So far, I like Mariota & Hogan.

Mike

;) Yep, got my teams mixed up thanks!

No problems... except that you are the first poster to ever make a mistake on this Forum... ;) Oh well...

Also saw the KY game... 2nd time I've seen him and both games gave me the same "Nice, but..." impression. And I cannot get past the feeling he will break in half the first time an NFL DE blindsides him. Just looks like a stick figure to me.

Bridgewater has an elite NFL arm. He showed it off on some throws yesterday (in his one half of play). He has a compact release, makes every throw, consistent spiral, lots of zip, crazy accurate. Great kid, very mobile (although not Boyd or Mariota), an almost consensus #1 overall unless a leg or arm falls off.

The Browns are not only going to take a QB, it's going to be in the top 5 overall. They want a franchise guy, not a maybe guy, so they'll target that one and get him. They have the assets. Guys I think who have at least a shot at going that high...

Bridgewater (lock #1)

Boyd

Mariota

Hundley

I really think that's it... but after that it's probably Fales and Carr with a shot at rising. But I personally believe Chud will want a guy like Newton who can move and run some RO (although he won't run his guy as much as Chip would).

If the Browns can get to Bridgewater, I think that's as close to a sure thing as you can get this early in the year. I'm sure Chud would pretty much shit himself with joy.

This sort of supports my list from above. They both have the Jags taking Bridgewater at #1 and the Browns taking Hundley at #2... but there's not guarantee he comes out. Boyd is top 10 and one has Mariota at 4. I think those are the guys I'd be scouting for the Browns long-term answer (or latest one).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

By the way, both guys at Walter Football (Walt and Charlie) have the Browns taking Tajh Boyd at #3. They site his big arm and great wheels. Bridgewater, natch, goes #1 in both to Jacksonville.

Mariota and Hundley are the Wild Cards. If they declare, these four are in a wild scramble for the few teams looking to draft quarterbacks up high.

Archived