THE BROWNS BOARD

"You can't arrest me, I'm a Colts Player"

DieHardBrownsFan

John Boyett Arrested for Public Intoxication and Resisting Law Enforcement

BY

(FEATURED COLUMNIST) ON SEPTEMBER 2, 2013

hi-res-168567867_crop_north.jpg?w=650&h=

Michael Hickey/Getty Images

Indianapolis Colts rookie safety John Boyett was arrested early Monday morning and charged with disorderly conduct, public intoxication and resisting law enforcement after an incident outside an Indianapolis bar.

According to a police report obtained by The Indianapolis Star's Tim Evans, Boyett became verbally abusive and refused to leave after being denied entrance into the local Tiki Bob’s bar. An employee, who claimed Boyett was barred due to being overly intoxicated, then flagged down an Indianapolis police officer to report his abrasive behavior.

Having already departed when the officer initially arrived on the scene, Boyett later returned to the bar, at which time the officer attempted to place him under arrest. Boyett then fled on foot, leading police on a multi-street chase that ended with four officers forcibly holding down the 23-year-old.

The police report states that Boyett was visibly intoxicated and smelled strongly of alcohol. He was verbally abusive both to citizens and to law enforcement, and at multiple points, he outed himself as a Colts player to avoid the arrest.

“You can’t arrest me, I’m a Colts player,” Boyett said, according to the police report.

Boyett also threatened the officer and belittled his physical appearance.

A sixth-round pick out of the University of Oregon, Boyett has yet to suit up for the Colts during a preseason practice or game. He was placed on the non-football/reserve injury list in July due to a lingering knee injury that dates back to his days with the Ducks.

hi-res-151265873_crop_exact.jpg?w=340&h=Craig Mitchelldyer/Getty Images

The 5'10" safety tore both patella tendons during the Ducks' first game of the 2012 season. While rehab was expected to take just six months, Boyett's recovery has gone slower than expected.

Being placed on the non-football/reserve injury list allows Indianapolis a roster exemption, meaning Boyett was not subject to Saturday's 53-man cuts. He will also not be eligible to make his NFL debut until Week 7 against the Denver Broncos, at the earliest.

The police report said Boyett suffered additional injuries to his arm and elbow when the officers tackled him, though they are not considered serious.

A Colts spokesperson declined to give a statement to the Star, though they acknowledged the team knows of Boyett's arrest. He is currently being held at the Marion County Jail.

There is no word on a possible bail hearing at this time. Neither Boyett nor his representation have commented on the matter.

Archived