THE BROWNS BOARD

Dolphin Fans: A Bunch of Tools

Shep

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it is Grimes and Patterson... but I'm not sure that's good. Patterson has a huge vendetta in mind, says what happened in Cleveland "had nothing to do with football." Grimes had a pretty terrific preseason and their media said he looked "every inch a shutdown corner."

Aside from Cameron Wake and Ellerbe, their defense is a little nondescript. Wallace, Hartline, and Gipson? Eh. We'll see.

It'd be a great win. Gives us another week to get well and off suspension.

Hey guys, Dolfan here (obviously). I come from thephins.com (SICK is my user there). I wanted to wish yall a healthy game.

I wanted to touch on the bolded from the 1st page, sorry if its been discussed further. But you are forgetting some key parts to the Dolphins defense. Randy Starks and Paul Soliai are both pro bowl defensive tackles. Jarred Odrick is FINALLY being moved inside to his normal 3 gap technique position where he dominated at Penn St and made him a first rounder.

Phillip Wheeler is fast and along with Ellerbe is one of the best pass rushing LBs in the league. Rashad Jones is one of the up and coming safetys around, and PFF graded Chris Clemons as one of their top safetys. Our corner depth however has me shitting my pants. Our 2nd and 3rd round pick rookies Will Davis and Jamar Taylor most likely wont play. That leaves us with Jimmy Wilson and Nolan Carrol manning the #3 and 4 corner spots. Dimitri will probably bump into the slot in nickle formations.....however, like you guys with Mingo, we are hoping our rookie pss rusher Dion Jordan will play (has practiced fully all week).....mix him in with Wake rushing your RT and Oliver Vernon coming with a high motor, Weeden is going to need to get rid of the ball quickly.

Someone else mentioned this could come down to a wash, and I agree. This is NOT the cakewalk some dolfans are claiming. I think it's going to be an awesome, underrated game (only shown to 9% of the country on CBS)...and both teams will surprise people.

My grandparents live in Sandusky OH, and I used to live there.....I always loved Bernie Kosar as a U of M fan (miami, not Michigan you OSU guys).....so I have nothing but love for the state of Ohio. Hope both teams come out healthy, and sorry but I hope Miami wins.....

Miami - 24

Cleveland 21

OK, lets look at the matchups and see who gets the edge:

No one else has given an honest effort at this, so I will try, given my limited knowledge of the Fins talent:

Browns vs. Dolphins:

QB Weeden vs. Tannehill...yes, a wash at this point.

RB Richardson vs. Miller...Richardson. Miller ain't bad, but he doesn't have TR potential

FB Ogbanaya vs. Tyler Clutts...Probably a wash, though I think Ogby may be more versatile

TE Cameron vs. Charles Clay...another wash, both young guys trying to prove themselves.

WR Little vs. Mike Wallace...I will give the edge to Wallace on reputation alone. Gordon being in would change this.

WR Bess vs. Hartline...two possession type guys. I will give edge to Hartline because he is supposed to be a #2...Bess is not, plus he has been banged up and has not played hardly at all in preseason.

LT Joe Thomas vs. Jonathan Martin...no brainer, JT

LG John Greco vs. Rich Incognito...call it a wash

C Mack vs. Mike Pouncey...there is some debate about who is better: Maurkice Pouncey, or Mack. But Mack is better than Mike. Browns.

RG Oneil Cousins vs. Jerry John...give it to Dolphins. Cousins is a fill in converted tackle.

RT Schwartz vs. Tyson Clabo...The Schwartz is turning into a top 5 RT. Edge Browns.

Defense: (Browns run 3-4...Fins 4-3, so head to head is not quite possible)

DEs: Rubin and D. Bryant vs. Cameron Wake and Olivier Vernon...Wake is supposed to be all that and a bag of chips. Edge Dolphins

DTs: Phil Taylor vs. Randy Starks and Paul Soliai...both Fish have been to the Pro Bowl...so I will reluctantly give it to them combined, though, individually I don't believe they are better than Taylor. Edge Dolphins

LOBs: Kruger and Sheard vs. Koa Misi and Phillip Wheeler...edge Browns

ILBs: Robertson and DQ Jackson vs. Dan Ellerbe Ellerbe and DQ are on par I believe. I will give it a wash.

LCB: Haden vs. Brent Grimes...Grimes wasn't as good as Haden before his injury. Edge Browns.

SS: TJ Ward vs. Reshad Jones..I don't know this Jones. TJ Ward is Pro Bowl talent...Edge Browns

FS: Gipson vs. Chris Clemens...I don't know this Clemens...but I suspect he has more experience than Gipson, so I will give the edge to Dolphins

RCB: Buster Skrine vs. Dmitri Patterson We KNOW Dmitri sucks swamp water. Skrine beat him out for a jobe. Edge Browns.

Give us who has the edge at each slot.

I will let Emmince Funk do the special teams....but I will concede the kicker slot to the Dolphins whoever they have.

No one else has given an honest effort at this, so I will try, given my limited knowledge of the Fins talent:

Browns vs. Dolphins:

RB Richardson vs. Miller...Richardson. Miller ain't bad, but he doesn't have TR potential

FB Ogbanaya vs. Tyler Clutts...Probably a wash, though I think Ogby may be more versatile

TE Cameron vs. Charles Clay...another wash, both young guys trying to prove themselves.

WR Little vs. Mike Wallace...I will give the edge to Wallace on reputation alone. Gordon being in would change this.

WR Bess vs. Hartline...two possession type guys. I will give edge to Hartline because he is supposed to be a #2...Bess is not, plus he has been banged up and has not played hardly at all in preseason.

C Mack vs. Mike Pouncey...there is some debate about who is better: Maurkice Pouncey, or Mack. But Mack is better than Mike. Browns.

RG Oneil Cousins vs. Jerry John...give it to Dolphins. Cousins is a fill in converted tackle.

RT Schwartz vs. Tyson Clabo...The Schwartz is turning into a top 5 RT. Edge Browns.

DEs: Rubin and D. Bryant vs. Cameron Wake and Olivier Vernon...Wake is supposed to be all that and a bag of chips. Edge Dolphins

DTs: Phil Taylor vs. Randy Starks and Paul Soliai...both Fish have been to the Pro Bowl...so I will reluctantly give it to them combined, though, individually I don't believe they are better than Taylor. Edge Dolphins

ILBs: Robertson and DQ Jackson vs. Dan Ellerbe Ellerbe and DQ are on par I believe. I will give it a wash.

LCB: Haden vs. Brent Grimes...Grimes wasn't as good as Haden before his injury. Edge Browns.

SS: TJ Ward vs. Reshad Jones..I don't know this Jones. TJ Ward is Pro Bowl talent...Edge Browns

FS: Gipson vs. Chris Clemens...I don't know this Clemens...but I suspect he has more experience than Gipson, so I will give the edge to Dolphins

RCB: Buster Skrine vs. Dmitri Patterson We KNOW Dmitri sucks swamp water. Skrine beat him out for a jobe. Edge Browns.

I will let Emmince Funk do the special teams....but I will concede the kicker slot to the Dolphins whoever they have.

You're wrong about Center and Jones/Ward safety. Other than that....I agree with all.

Hey guys, Dolfan here (obviously). I come from thephins.com (SICK is my user there). I wanted to wish yall a healthy game.

I wanted to touch on the bolded from the 1st page, sorry if its been discussed further. But you are forgetting some key parts to the Dolphins defense. Randy Starks and Paul Soliai are both pro bowl defensive tackles.

I gave those two combined the edge over Phil Taylor, but as noted, individually I don't think Phil takes a back seat at all to either one.

Jarred Odrick is FINALLY being moved inside to his normal 3 gap technique position where he dominated at Penn St and made him a first rounder.

Phillip Wheeler is fast and along with Ellerbe is one of the best pass rushing LBs in the league.

We got Kruger from the Ravens, you got Ellerbe from the Ravens. Kruger was the better pass rusher with them, so he gets my edge.

The way you describe it, Roberson and Wheeler may be cut from the same cloth.

Rashad Jones is one of the up and coming safetys around,

TJ Ward is arrived as one of the best SS...so he gets that edge.

and PFF graded Chris Clemons as one of their top safetys.

OK, we got a guy that has started 3 games...but looks good, But I gave it to your guy.

Our corner depth however has me shitting my pants.

It is at least one of your starters that should make you crap. Patterson was released by the Browns in favor of the guy we have starting (and no one here believes that was a mistake)

Our 2nd and 3rd round pick rookies Will Davis and Jamar Taylor most likely wont play.

Funny, our 2d round pick won't either...that was Josh Gordon (2d round used in prior year Supp. draft)

Our 3rd is also a rookie CB...Leon McFadden. He will play, a bit. Not there yet.

That leaves us with Jimmy Wilson and Nolan Carrol manning the #3 and 4 corner spots. Dimitri will probably bump into the slot in nickle formations....

.however, like you guys with Mingo, we are hoping our rookie pss rusher Dion Jordan will play (has practiced fully all week).....mix him in with Wake rushing your RT and Oliver Vernon coming with a high motor, Weeden is going to need to get rid of the ball quickly.

Our RT can handle it. Our RG....maybe not so much. That is the Browns weak point on the line.

Jordan and Mingo do make for interesting backups.

Someone else mentioned this could come down to a wash, and I agree. This is NOT the cakewalk some dolfans are claiming. I think it's going to be an awesome, underrated game (only shown to 9% of the country on CBS)...and both teams will surprise people.

My grandparents live in Sandusky OH, and I used to live there.....I always loved Bernie Kosar as a U of M fan (miami, not Michigan you OSU guys).....so I have nothing but love for the state of Ohio. Hope both teams come out healthy, and sorry but I hope Miami wins.....

Miami - 24

Cleveland 21

I have no clue why fans argue and talk shit about the cities in America the teams represent instead of the actual teams themselves but anyway...

Us Browns fans are a tad excited and over eager. The offense and its effectiveness will be impacted by Gordons absence, but I must note that the WR core as of right now is not bad at all, in fact Greg Little and Bess are fine targets...its just Weeden. If Weeden plays with the potential we saw in the first couple preseason games, then the offense will be fine. Cameron is a great target also, along with T rich. Offense should be ok.

And seriously, we cannot hype the coaching staff enough. This is the biggest upgrade for Cleveland this year, competent coaching. So watch out, the Browns may not win 11 games but they WILL be significantly improved all around. Guaranteed, thats why we are so excited for Sunday,

Browns 20 dolphins 16

If I were honest, I hated them moving Bess. All he did was get open and catch every ball thrown in his zip code. People complained about his redzone production but Miami would've never sniffed the redzone without him. He's also a class act. I hope he sucks this weekend, but otherwise wish him well.

Skill wise the Browns receiving corp is heads and shoulders about what was here with mang and shur. For a change, they are getting some good coaching from Embree and Turner. The first team offense in preseason looked daunting at times

Turner...surely not Norv. That Dolphin Cast-off would run when the passing game was working and pass when the running game was working.

He will be this year.

I like Alex Mack, but Pouncey is the best center in the AFC, even more-so than his brother.

One ranking I have found has Mike as the #19 center, Maurkice as #14, Mack as #9

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1052850-br-nfl-1000-top-32-centers#/articles/1052850-br-nfl-1000-top-32-centers/page/33

Please feel free to report others if you find them.

They had like 5 rookies starting on offense. If they stood pat, it was because they simply needed the guys they got to get experience.

Besides, they didn't stand pat. Unfortuneately the move they made was getting Dion Lewis to be another offensive threat. (a Reggie Bush like player). The problem is that he broke his leg and is out for the year. They also got Davone Bess to be a possession receiver.

You all apparently didn't like him because he wasn't a home run hitter and that is why you got Wallace. Well, we got Bess to do what Bess does best: catch first downs.

Losing players sucks. Keller was getting primed for a great season before blowing out a knee. Bess is a 3rd down beast and will be good for 6 catches or so. But as much smack as is being thrown around...this is going to be a war of attrition. Stop Richardson..ie less than 100yds rushing, Miami wins based on better STs and defenses being equal.

This one puts Mike P. at #2, Mack at #4, and no Maurkice in top ten:

http://loljam.com/post/7382/

Also pro football focus had Mike Pouncey on their 2012 AFC Pro Bowl squad

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/19/pro-bowl-roster-2012-afc/

Look they are both good/great players....it won't really make the difference between win or loss. The point is both teams seem evenly matched on paper. Sunday at 1pm, we find out! Can't wait!

Losing players sucks. Keller was getting primed for a great season before blowing out a knee. Bess is a 3rd down beast and will be good for 6 catches or so. But as much smack as is being thrown around...this is going to be a war of attrition. Stop Richardson..ie less than 100yds rushing, Miami wins based on better STs and defenses being equal.

Once upon a time not so very long ago the Browns had some of the best Special Teams around. Phil Dawson...almost sure fire as a kicker. Reggie Hodges, a good punter. And Josh Cribbs...only the NFL record holder for most KO returns for a TD. And outstanding at punt returns, and was the main torpedo on coverage.

All that gone. Only punt returns with Benjamin handling them seems to be solid. (OK. Yount as LS is OK). Kicking/punting/KO returning are now an issue for the Browns.

The rest of the team wasn't much...but the STs were good. I guess if that is reversed it would be OK.

I suck at this so I apologize in advance.

- I love Miami. One of the few truly distinctive cities left. Water, water everywhere, gorgeous islands, South Beach is amazing, and I love the Latino vibe. Ritz Carlton Key Biscayne is one of the best domestic hotels around. Fountainebleu, amazing. I think my odds of nailing the spelling were pretty low.

- I think this matchup is really intriguing. One of these two teams might be a fringe playoff team and there's no consensus out there on the national scene which it'll be. Neither's getting tons of love (must be exhausting blowing the Bengals, I guess) but there's a certain sense of potential breakout.

Winner of this game probably gets a small-ish bandwagon, especially if it involves a QB having a big day or a shutout.

- My draft for the Browns that year was Tannehill/Martin. I'd still do that draft. But I also liked the Weeden pick. It's a great matchup of two quarterbacks who, as rookies, weren't Luck/RG3/Wilson... but also didn't really suck. Weeden's only on a short leash because he's 29. Tannehill has no leash at all.

- If Trent Richardson is gonna be a "household name" (today's LA Times) it starts here.

- Line is tie, 43 over/under. Strangely, it's kind of a huge game. The winner gains confidence (both teams are really young) and momentum, a chance to be THAT TEAM, the one that takes a huge leap and has a promising young roster to build for a long run.

Also pro football focus had Mike Pouncey on their 2012 AFC Pro Bowl squad

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/19/pro-bowl-roster-2012-afc/

Look they are both good/great players....it won't really make the difference between win or loss. The point is both teams seem evenly matched on paper. Sunday at 1pm, we find out! Can't wait!

OK, we will call the center position a wash. Perhaps all I was ever hearing was the diminishment of Mike P.s quality in comparison to his brother. But then, perhaps most of that came from Steeler fans

I wanted to touch on the bolded from the 1st page, sorry if its been discussed further. But you are forgetting some key parts to the Dolphins defense. Randy Starks and Paul Soliai are both pro bowl defensive tackles. Jarred Odrick is FINALLY being moved inside to his normal 3 gap technique position where he dominated at Penn St and made him a first rounder.

Phillip Wheeler is fast and along with Ellerbe is one of the best pass rushing LBs in the league. Rashad Jones is one of the up and coming safetys around, and PFF graded Chris Clemons as one of their top safetys. Our corner depth however has me shitting my pants. Our 2nd and 3rd round pick rookies Will Davis and Jamar Taylor most likely wont play. That leaves us with Jimmy Wilson and Nolan Carrol manning the #3 and 4 corner spots. Dimitri will probably bump into the slot in nickle formations.....however, like you guys with Mingo, we are hoping our rookie pss rusher Dion Jordan will play (has practiced fully all week).....mix him in with Wake rushing your RT and Oliver Vernon coming with a high motor, Weeden is going to need to get rid of the ball quickly.

Miami - 24

Cleveland 21

Indeed on the injuries. Too many season ending injuries all around the league, I hope for no injuries either side. Can't wait for Sunday, this is definetly an underrated game as you said. I think both teams will come out with something to prove, and it will be a very exciting game. Both MIA and CLE defenses will be good this year, and this game will come down to those defenses stopping the run. I don't see either QB having a 300 yard game, but could be wrong. I think our O line is better, and that will give us the edge in that department.

- I love Miami. One of the few truly distinctive cities left. Water, water everywhere, gorgeous islands, South Beach is amazing, and I love the Latino vibe. Ritz Carlton Key Biscayne is one of the best domestic hotels around. Fountainebleu, amazing. I think my odds of nailing the spelling were pretty low.

A good place to go on vacation, OK. Having lived near there for a short period, I would far prefer here to live.

- I think this matchup is really intriguing. One of these two teams might be a fringe playoff team and there's no consensus out there on the national scene which it'll be. Neither's getting tons of love (must be exhausting blowing the Bengals, I guess) but there's a certain sense of potential breakout.

Winner of this game probably gets a small-ish bandwagon, especially if it involves a QB having a big day or a shutout.

- My draft for the Browns that year was Tannehill/Martin. I'd still do that draft. But I also liked the Weeden pick. It's a great matchup of two quarterbacks who, as rookies, weren't Luck/RG3/Wilson... but also didn't really suck. Weeden's only on a short leash because he's 29. Tannehill has no leash at all.

- If Trent Richardson is gonna be a "household name" (today's LA Times) it starts here.

- Line is tie, 43 over/under. Strangely, it's kind of a huge game. The winner gains confidence (both teams are really young) and momentum, a chance to be THAT TEAM, the one that takes a huge leap and has a promising young roster to build for a long run.

Browns vs. Dolphins:

SS: TJ Ward vs. Reshad Jones..I don't know this Jones. TJ Ward is Pro Bowl talent...Edge Browns ... Reshad Jones was the best player in the Dolphins Secondary last year. He is ready to have a break out season. This game is two good defenses trying to take it up a notch and two offenses trying to prove themselves. There's a part of me that thinks a 6-3 score at half time is likely. Miami has to "survive" that opening quarter because that stadium is going to be going nuts. If they can't handle the pressure and start coughing up the ball they just don't have the offense to come from behind on the road. I usually don't call the first game of the season a must win but for Miami they face @indianapolis, Atlanta and @NO the next 3 seeks. 2-2 is a must for any reasonable shot at the playoffs. 0-4 and we'll be talking draft in October. Not sure what the Browns have loaded up but I'm fairly sure this game comes down to STs and turnovers. Long FGs, field position.

Let me add injuries to the list of possibilities. Miami's first unit is stout against the run. It's second team couldn't stop a well intentioned girl scout with a box of cookies. The LBs are of particular concern. Wheeler can be beaten with an athletic TE and God forbid he gets isolated on a back in a passing situation.

Let me add injuries to the list of possibilities. Miami's first unit is stout against the run. It's second team couldn't stop a well intentioned girl scout with a box of cookies. The LBs are of particular concern. Wheeler can be beaten with an athletic TE and God forbid he gets isolated on a back in a passing situation.

Well, one of the hallmarks of a Norv Turner offense is the isolation of his tight end on an LB. (Jay Novacek, Antonio Gates).

And also using the RB as a pass catcher. LDT had tons of catches in his days under Norv.

A good place to go on vacation, OK. Having lived near there for a short period, I would far prefer here to live.

Phin fan got you there...I mean, who goes to cleveland for a vacation?

Archived